Thoughts of Playing Bare foot?

My duration of employment doing golf maintenance in the southwest, the only application to the surface was granular fertilizer, 20-2-3, and a similar water soluble high nitrogen fertilizer in the greens.  The only other thing was green dye.  

The turf or weed killer was applied but if you are walking in these areas you are doing it wrong, these were in penalty areas.

Play with no shoes or with shoes, it’s a free country 👍🏻

11 hours ago, jomatty said:

Why does this idea upset you so much lol.  I’m not gonna ditch my shoes either, but I don’t doubt there are things you could learn from doing so.  I’ve got too many foot problems to try golfing without arch and heel support but to each their own...

In the past junior ice hockey players used to practice skating with their laces open in order to strengthen their ankles. I can see a point there but I doubt there is anything to actually learn from hitting a golf ball barefoot. Also I can envisage massive law suits on your side of the pond when a person slips and breaks an ankle having played with no shoes. I remember that was a popular theme over there many years ago when soft spikes started to replace steel spikes 😄

Good golf shoes support the foot as well as the ankle during play. Sure, playing barefoot on a summer day and not entering any uneven terrain is probably relaxing and nice change but I still fail to see what one could learn from it golfwise.

P.S. Searching for a ball in a pine forest would be a thrill barefoot. It feel SO nice to step on a pine cone and I would certainly learn not to go into such forests again without shoes...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Par Be A Joke said:

Thanks to the insanity that is the EPA modern chemicals used in turf maintenance will not harm you even for long and repeated exposures.

I used to play in Teva sandals back in the day if I felt myself over swinging and spinning out.  I could see barefoot for practice being helpful for some.

Insanity? Do share your great expertise. 

24 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Played a partial round barefoot once because my new shoes gave me terrible blisters. The cool morning grass felt awesome.

Otherwise I wouldn't do it due to the chemical hazards. 

What chemical hazards? Would you care to be more specific?

I would be much more worried about the dew on a cool morning grass and the potential slipping due to low friction between sole of the foot and wet grass.

8 hours ago, Mr. Clean said:

My duration of employment doing golf maintenance in the southwest, the only application to the surface was granular fertilizer, 20-2-3, and a similar water soluble high nitrogen fertilizer in the greens.  The only other thing was green dye.  

The turf or weed killer was applied but if you are walking in these areas you are doing it wrong, these were in penalty areas.

Play with no shoes or with shoes, it’s a free country 👍🏻

May be a free country, but if the course policy is shoes, then you are wearing shoes.

On 6/17/2021 at 4:42 AM, PETERMCKEE7 said:

Now that the weather has improved it has allowed me to incorporate playing bare foot (Or at least with socks on) during my training days on the course. I read an article years ago of the benefit playing barefoot has in ones golf swing. After trying it for several practice holes I do feel more connected and I feel as if im able to utilise the ground better.

Any one tried playing barefoot and seen the benefit in their game?

lmfao

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Insanity? Do share your great expertise. 

The simplest answer is would be for you to open a manufacturing plant.  Or just peruse the EPA regulations for just about any industrial/commercial endeavor. 

But the IMPORTANT things in this thread is the OP's post not taking time away with political dissuasions.   Please feel free to start a new thread based on the EPA if you would like to discuss.

When I was in Highschool and College, I almost always played barefoot. Nothing feels better than a well manicured fairway on bare feet. I think if someone has a tendency to over-swing it could be a helpful teaching aid as well. 

At this point in my life I don't anymore, I'm more serious about my golf and also a bit wary of the chemicals as well. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

What chemical hazards? Would you care to be more specific?

I would be much more worried about the dew on a cool morning grass and the potential slipping due to low friction between sole of the foot and wet grass.

Definitely slipping certainly poses an immediate risk.  But if I didn't take my shoes off I wouldn't have been able to complete the round and someone with a cart would have had to come get me.  It got to the point that I was unable to walk if I kept my shoes on without bleeding.     

As for chemicals, I presume golf courses use herbicides and pesticides in addition to fertilizer?  While I don't worry much about exposure to nitrogen fertilizer, it's fairly well documented that constant exposure to pesticides and herbicides can lead to health problems, sometimes that don't manifest for years/decades. I wouldn't worry about it once in a while but certainly wouldn't make a habit of walking on a golf course barefoot. 

1 hour ago, Par Be A Joke said:

The simplest answer is would be for you to open a manufacturing plant.  Or just peruse the EPA regulations for just about any industrial/commercial endeavor. 

But the IMPORTANT things in this thread is the OP's post not taking time away with political dissuasions.   Please feel free to start a new thread based on the EPA if you would like to discuss.

You're the one that said "thanks to the insanity that is the EPA modern chemicals used in turf maintenance will not harm you even for long and repeated exposures."  So is the sane thing to keep using chemicals that can harm people when there are less hazardous options? As @Sawgrass said, do you want them to put lead back in paint?

As for your lecturing about the EPA and opening a manufacturing plant--- Early in my career I ran a large manufacturing plant that employed over 1,000 people.  There we used chemicals including Trichloroethylene, cyanide and so many others that if mishandled could kill or harm employees, neighbors and wildlife.  Sure sometimes the EPA regs can be complicated, maybe some are even overkill, but they are there to protect the employees and community from ignorant and/or greedy behavior. If you want to constantly expose yourself to herbicides and pesticides, then go for it.  If you want to turn that into a political discussion then that's your choice, but I didn't because it's NOT!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Augster said:

You do realize when they spray the herbicides and pesticides they wear full hazmat suits. 

Not harmful at all. 🙂

I am sure every region is different, but I thought I would look into what was going on at my course. After having a look I can't say I have any concerns if I wanted to slip my shoes off. If people are concerned they should do some research as in many regions chemical use has changed significantly over the years.

Part of  pest management regulations in our area require everything to be reported. Last year we used 60.74KG (147lbs.) of controlled chemicals. The numbers of all courses are posted and around 200lbs seems to be average. The reporting also breaks down each product used and Chlorothalonil is by far the most used product across our region. I had to look up how toxic it is and the EPA lists Chlorothalonil as "practically nontoxic" for skin contact. Pesticide and Herbicides are virtually not used in the area- mainly fungicides being used . 

Given we use around 1lb per acre per year of a substance that has very low toxicity from skin contact, I am actually more worried about second hand smoke from walking over cigar butts then chemicals😉

Having said all that each region is very different- so if you are concerned look into your own course. I was pleasantly surprised to see how little of an issue it was in my area.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

May be a free country, but if the course policy is shoes, then you are wearing shoes.

I have been playing golf for 37 years and have never seen a policy state you must wear shoes.  I have seen the policy relative to spikes versus spikeless overtly stated but not a mandate for shoes, do you have a scorecard or link to said policy?  🤔

1 hour ago, Mr. Clean said:

I have been playing golf for 37 years and have never seen a policy state you must wear shoes.  I have seen the policy relative to spikes versus spikeless overtly stated but not a mandate for shoes, do you have a scorecard or link to said policy?  🤔

I have seen several, but I am sure it was not intentionally against bare feet - something along the lines of "only soft spike golf shoes must be worn on the golf course." the idea being to prevent non-golf shoes from being worn. 

I have played around 5000 rounds all over the world, in that time I must of seen tens of thousands of other golfers - maybe well over 100,000 (you see lots of other golfers when you play). I don't recall once seeing someone play barefoot. So I suspect no policy will ever be needed*. 😁

*unless some guy on the PGA tour win barefoot.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Pleasuring oneself is far from making love. I'm sorry that you haven't enjoyed deeper connections with other human beings.

Zoe Kravitz Weirdo GIF

Why are you sorry?  How do you know about the level of my deeper connections?  Do you play golf with no shoes?  That girl in your meme is wearing shoes, is she aware that we are discussing golfing with no shoes?  

So many questions and so much time.  

6 minutes ago, Mr. Clean said:

Why are you sorry?  How do you know about the level of my deeper connections?  Do you play golf with no shoes?  That girl in your meme is wearing shoes, is she aware that we are discussing golfing with no shoes?  

So many questions and so much time.  

If you must know, back when Phoebe Cates and I were dating, we'd often sneak on to courses at night and play golf in the buff. We called it, "Our skinny-dipping."

christmas movies gremlins GIF

Edited by JeffreySpicoli

13 minutes ago, Mr. Clean said:

I don’t have links to thousands of golf courses all over creation but guarantee such policies exist or shoes come under “proper golf attire”, or would be interpreted as such,  when you see courses’ dress codes. 

1 hour ago, jdl said:

My dad played in a pro-am many years ago with ex-Bears QB Jim McMahon and apparently the "Punky QB" plays barefoot. Pretty decent golfer, too.

There was also a guy on the Big Break that played barefoot - that was kind his little thing to make him seem interesting for the show. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Definitely slipping certainly poses an immediate risk.  But if I didn't take my shoes off I wouldn't have been able to complete the round and someone with a cart would have had to come get me.  It got to the point that I was unable to walk if I kept my shoes on without bleeding.     

As for chemicals, I presume golf courses use herbicides and pesticides in addition to fertilizer?  While I don't worry much about exposure to nitrogen fertilizer, it's fairly well documented that constant exposure to pesticides and herbicides can lead to health problems, sometimes that don't manifest for years/decades. I wouldn't worry about it once in a while but certainly wouldn't make a habit of walking on a golf course barefoot. 

It sure is a shame if pesticides are still used somewhere in such quantities that could be harmful for people on the course. Here in Finland that is not the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Bean said:

It sure is a shame if pesticides are still used somewhere in such quantities that could be harmful for people on the course. Here in Finland that is not the case.

My understanding is that they are used much less these days. @2bGoodpost was interesting info. But unless they post a sign indicating when and where something has been applied we just don't know. Constant exposure to chemicals often doesn't manifest into sickness for decades. We're probably talking about low risk, but for me it's not worth it. 

Herbicides, pesticides, and bacteria. I don’t know about your courses, but we get TONS of geese that migrate. Migrate north in the spring, south in the fall. Plus all the ducks, geese, and other birds that make their homes on the course. These birds literally crap everywhere. While the mowers cut up the crap, and the sprinklers make the crap wet and disintegrate eventually, there is still bird feces everywhere. It hasn’t been picked up. You may not be able to see it, as it’s in it’s broken down form from water and mowing, but it’s not like it went away. 

The water they use for the golf course is reclaimed water from ponds. Don’t drink it. Don’t bathe in it. Don’t swim in it. It is a pool of runoff from the various chemicals and bird feces that gets recycled and sprayed back on the course full of bacteria and whatever else. 

You’re walking on recycled bird crap with bare feet. Not my cup of tea, but you do you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jdl said:

My dad played in a pro-am many years ago with ex-Bears QB Jim McMahon and apparently the "Punky QB" plays barefoot. Pretty decent golfer, too.

And appeared barefoot in Breed's very first, or one of his very first, "Golf Fix" shows on Golf Channel!

He has "Rozelle" in Sharpie on the bottom of his feet. 😉