Does anyone watch "Live From" for the majors on Golf Channel?

I don't sit down and watch the "Live From" segment on GC, but I'll turn it on at points at night to somewhat familiarize myself with the course or the story lines, so the stuff I see is random and I don't watch the whole program. Typically I think its just a 3/5 hour production that just boils down to "this guy can win, or this guy can win, or this guy can win". 

I noticed for the last couple majors, its just a bunch of non-golf story lines and too much back story on players. For example, the two times I watch this week it was "The Lanto Griffin Story" segment and a segment about a journeyman pro and his daughter with disabilities. Not that these segments were bad, its just, I almost don't get the point, felt like I wasn't watching the golf channel or prep for a major at all. 

Does anyone else see that or did I just catch these two segments randomly?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I turn it for background noise or if I want to irritate my wife.

The problem is the golf channel budget was whacked.  They run live from all day simply due to no budget to produce other programing.

Yes, and The Players as well. Was better when they had Nobilo on it, his segments out on the course throwing balls so show the contours of the breaks was always my favorite part. And him arguing with

I was just thinking about that yesterday when I turned the Golf Channel on. 

A one day program on Wednesday would be sufficient.  Something along the lines of who is and is not in the field, an overview of the entire course along with the history of said course, etc.

But all-day, everyday programming  from Monday to Wednesday is a bit excessive and mind-numbing for me.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Blonde Line Lizard said:

I was just thinking about that yesterday when I turned the Golf Channel on. 

A one day program on Wednesday would be sufficient.  Something along the lines of who is and is not in the field, an overview of the entire course along with the history of said course, etc.

But all-day, everyday programming  from Monday to Wednesday is a bit excessive and mind-numbing for me.

Exactly...wonder who at the golf channel keeps thinking its a good idea. 

Sitting here thinking about this topic really makes me wonder what the Golf Channel is good for.  I mean there is nothing on from Monday to Wednesday.

PGA tournament coverage should be seeing the first tee shot of the day until the last putt is holed out on Thursday and Friday.

Saturday and Sunday would be the same until the network coverage takes over on NBC or CBS.  Then GC can switch to LPGA or Senior Tour coverage until they have completed play for that day.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Par Be A Joke said:

The problem is the golf channel budget was whacked.  They run live from all day simply due to no budget to produce other programing.

I get that, but the same money they are using to follow the journeyman pro guy (I forget his name, apologizes) could be used to follow people qualifying for the US Open. That should be more of a segment than anything else. I mean, you can make a money on your iphone, I know you have to pay people, but it can be done on the cheap. 

Also, it doesn't take money to make content sometimes, they just have to think outside the box.  

• Like 1

If you aren't telling me about the course or the weather conditions do you even really need to be at the course?  I want a ruler in someone's hand, stabbing it down into the rough.  I want someone dropping balls in it to show me something.  Pitch a few balls down the fairway to show me how it is playing.  And definitely on the greens as well.

Take me to the holes on the course where the tournament could turn.  Where are the critical birdie holes?  Where is it ok to hold on for a par?

Get me some interviews with players or caddies.  I want their perspective on the course, conditions and their/their guy's swing.  Give me a prediction on winning score.

The rest of the time there is a Euro Tour and an Asia/Australia Tour with a ready made time difference to fill morning programming.  Run rounds on rewind to fill the other time if need be.  LPGA, Euro, Champions, PGA, KFT.  You got 19 rounds of golf from the week previous to show if you want.  There seem to be a bout 100 different USGA tournaments to choose from as well if you want to get the cameras out there for the senior mid-am four ball.

You could have a 20 hour show alone reviewing flight tracking technologies.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, Par Be A Joke said:

Exactly. They're taking advantage of their sunk costs on the set and crew and talent already being there and already paid for. Turn on the lights and let them talk, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

I turn it for background noise or if I want to irritate my wife.

Listening to golf coverage with your non-golfing wife in the room is a good way to see the silliness and repetition buried in the coverage. I spend most of that time embarrassed for the commentators.  

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Listening to golf coverage with your non-golfing wife in the room is a good way to see the silliness and repetition buried in the coverage. I spend most of that time embarrassed for the commentators.  

Yes I realized while reading your post it is just like poor Robin Mead on HLN saying the same thing over and over all morning in 30 loops...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Par Be A Joke said:

If budget-whacking is indeed true, who on Golf Channel is truly valuable or indispensable?

That being said, maybe they should wipe the current personnel-slate clean, then hire broadcasting interns at a much lesser wage and set them loose on their programming.  There would probably be glitches and gaffs, but at least it would be more interesting to watch.

It would be kind of a reverse Jack Welch/GE system.  🙃

Just now, dbleag said:

If budget-whacking is indeed true, who on Golf Channel is truly valuable or indispensable?

That being said, maybe they should wipe the current personnel-slate clean, then hire broadcasting interns at a much lesser wage and set them loose on their programming.  There would probably be glitches and gaffs, but at least it would be more interesting to watch.

You have to think there are plenty of ex-players who wouldn't mind having the position that Duval and Leonard have, which leads me to assume that many have shown interest and maybe had a screen test or two. But as far as ex-players go, there probably aren't many who can do it better than those guys. They have a rare combination of being highly-respected players who are smooth communicators and willing to do the work week after week after week. 

TGC has tried all of the run-of-the-mill models for "growing their audience" over the years - al la MTV and a slew of other outfits. I'm waiting for water skiing squirrels to make an appearance sometime soon. 

I suppose the idea of serving a dedicated demographic with content geared to their tastes - i.e. golf - just doesn't occur to the media bigwigs. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

3 minutes ago, jholz said:

TGC has tried all of the run-of-the-mill models for "growing their audience" over the years - al la MTV and a slew of other outfits. I'm waiting for water skiing squirrels to make an appearance sometime soon. 

I suppose the idea of serving a dedicated demographic with content geared to their tastes - i.e. golf - just doesn't occur to the media bigwigs. 

It's a pretty thin slice of the pie. I doubt the NFL Network pulls great numbers except on game days.

At the very least TGC is something non-controversial that can be left on the air 24/7 at golf courses and golf stores and I assume that a big chunk of their ratings reach happens that way. 

Niche networks survive on cable licensing fees. Advertising money is probably gravy. All the Golf Channel needs to do is stay on the air and maintain their status as an "enhanced basic cable" throw in. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, me05501 said:

It's a pretty thin slice of the pie. I doubt the NFL Network pulls great numbers except on game days.

At the very least TGC is something non-controversial that can be left on the air 24/7 at golf courses and golf stores and I assume that a big chunk of their ratings reach happens that way. 

Niche networks survive on cable licensing fees. Advertising money is probably gravy. All the Golf Channel needs to do is stay on the air and maintain their status as an "enhanced basic cable" throw in. 

I get what you are saying and these are reasonable points. No problem there. 

...but from another angle, this seems like a huge waste of time, money, and resources to me - all so that golf courses/shops can "have something [...] on the tv all day"? I don't see that as a compelling argument for value or necessity. 

or
or

I throw it on sometimes, is good, insights into event and course.

As far as GC. Figure there primary demographic is retired golfers/fans who watch tv during the morning and day.

I imagine they prefer it or it’s at least a nice alternative to talking heads, reruns and infomercials.

And that’s a good income demographic in general that appeals to advertisers so they probable have a solid niche. 

40 minutes ago, jholz said:

I get what you are saying and these are reasonable points. No problem there. 

...but from another angle, this seems like a huge waste of time, money, and resources to me - all so that golf courses/shops can "have something [...] on the tv all day"? I don't see that as a compelling argument for value or necessity. 

At the end of the day it is about making money.  You make money by selling advertisements.  You sell advertisements by convincing those customers you have the attention of their desired demographic.  

It isn't about providing good golf programming.  It is about providing just enough golf programming to keep the desired demographic interested enough to keep it on the GC and sell adverts.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, smashdn said:

At the end of the day it is about making money.  You make money by selling advertisements.  You sell advertisements by convincing those customers you have the attention of their desired demographic.  

It isn't about providing good golf programming.  It is about providing just enough golf programming to keep the desired demographic interested enough to keep it on the GC and sell adverts.

Yes, you are, of course, correct.

I'm merely suggesting that they could find a more productive and worthy use of the time, effort, and resources they are expending to make that money. Money, in and of itself, is not a compelling enough reason, nor a good enough excuse, to justify what they are doing.

Just one idiot's opinion.   

or
or

1 hour ago, dbleag said:

"BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE"!!!

19 minutes ago, jholz said:

Yes, you are, of course, correct.

I'm merely suggesting that they could find a more productive and worthy use of the time, effort, and resources they are expending to make that money. Money, in and of itself, is not a compelling enough reason, nor a good enough excuse, to justify what they are doing.

Just one idiot's opinion.   

I get the desire.  I wish they had better programming too.  I might pay the extra it costs to get it on my satellite package.  But when I do find myself watching (hotel while traveling or condo or free preview channel) I only get watch four people in the am talking about Tiger's return or his play in majors in the late 90's and Bagger Vance for the 50-11th time.

I just don't think they will provide you and me something more interesting because they don't have to.  Having better programming probably does not move the needle appreciably for them.  A 20% increase in viewership is still going to bring the same companies wanting advertising slots to the door.  and I would bet a 20% increase in eyes on the advert is not going to result in a 20% increase in sales of The Hammer driver or Medicus Iron.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

I noticed for the last couple majors, its just a bunch of non-golf story lines and too much back story on players. For example, the two times I watch this week it was "The Lanto Griffin Story" segment and a segment about a journeyman pro and his daughter with disabilities. Not that these segments were bad, its just, I almost don't get the point, felt like I wasn't watching the golf channel or prep for a major at all. 

Does anyone else see that or did I just catch these two segments randomly?

Exactly. I used to watch it a long time ago and there was good reporting on the course, conditions, player interviews, etc.

Now it is as you say, Rich Lerner's tired routine of trying to be clever comparing a figure in the host city's past to an underdog in the field or some other nonsense.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Does Comcast break down the revenues for GC between subscriber fees and ads?  I know ESPN's meal ticket is the subscriber fees.  I think it's more important to have them subscribed, no?