2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Proposed golf / fishing trip.

38 minutes ago, mallrat said:

I don’t think people truly understand how good the fishing is out here. Especially on the Rogue when the salmon are running. 

In the OP he mentions stand bags and 5 weights.  I have caught kings on a 5, but it certainly isn't ideal and it was all sight fishing with floating lines in AK.  So while I don't disagree the fishing is great in OR, if all one has is a 5# I am not sure I would target salmon/steelhead.  I do know OR has good trout fishing, but for trout only, I would still put N. Idaho and W MT ahead of it.  And Bandon is a great place to golf, but for trout AND good golf, I like CDA.  I did really enjoy my Bandon trip and speak about returning some day.

I would also note here, again, thinking about the 5# option, I can think of few freshwater fish that wouldn't blow up a 5# like a 40 pound musky, nor could I imagine trying to throw a 10" articulated bunny bug, but to each their own.

Edited by Petethreeput
clarification

I would have to say Montana or Idaho.  You can get iconic courses all around the US, but to get to some iconic trout fishing, I think you have to go West.  Yellowstone can get crowded, but there's lots of other places in Montana.  Missouri in Craig is phenomenal and you could also try the Missoula area.  Lots of good golf courses around Montana also.

I love the Whitefish area and go there quite a bit, but I don't fish there much anymore as it's not as good as other places in Montana, Alberta or BC, but they have some great golf.  

My choice, if you've never fly fished out West, I'd say go to Montana...just something cool to experience once in your life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloom said:

I would have to say Montana or Idaho.  You can get iconic courses all around the US, but to get to some iconic trout fishing, I think you have to go West.  Yellowstone can get crowded, but there's lots of other places in Montana.  Missouri in Craig is phenomenal and you could also try the Missoula area.  Lots of good golf courses around Montana also.

I love the Whitefish area and go there quite a bit, but I don't fish there much anymore as it's not as good as other places in Montana, Alberta or BC, but they have some great golf.  

My choice, if you've never fly fished out West, I'd say go to Montana...just something cool to experience once in your life.

Northern Michigan is beautiful but cant touch any of these suggestions. 

On 6/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, Bloom said:

Drift boat that area all the time, some awesome trout fishing.  I grew up in GF and family has a place on Hollter.     Though there is not much for good golf in that area sadly. 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, CDM said:

Drift boat that area all the time, some awestome trout fishing.  I grew up in GF and family has a place on Hollter.     Though there is not much for good golf in that area sadly. 

Wait Bill Roberts and the GF muni isn’t it? If they are members at private they could Green Lake and Meadowlark which are good options, but $550 a boat to float the Mo is prohibitive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

Wait Bill Roberts and the GF muni isn’t it? If they are members at private they could Green Lake and Meadowlark which are good options, but $550 a boat to float the Mo is prohibitive.

Dead on in both aspects. 

We have our own DB and family to split up the time so cost no issue but YES the prices on that have gone nuts up there.. 

As to golf courses in GF 

Public... Andaconda GC, Eagle Falls GC and some 18 hole excutive (name slips me)

Private.... Meadlowlark CC

Having played them all for what seems like a 100 times, nothing to write home about but it is golf.

The fishing is awesome in Craig area but still say Whitefish area for both is best / balance for both.

There is Big Sky /  Bozemen / Gallatin Valley area which would be a great area IF the OP is a member of a private club.

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CDM said:

Dead on in both aspects. 

We have our own DB and family to split up the time so cost no issue but YES the prices on that have gone nuts up there.. 

As to golf courses in GF 

Public... Andaconda GC, Eagle Falls GC and some 18 hole excutive (name slips me)

Private.... Meadlowlar CC

Having played then all for what seems like a 100 times,  Nothing to write home about but its golf.

The fishing is awesome in Craig area but still say Whitefish area for both is best.  

There is Big Sky /  Bozemen / Galitan Valley area which would be a great area IF the OP is a member of a private club.

Edited by Petethreeput

7 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

I don’t love the fishing in WF. The drive is a little too much to good fishing but you know I like the golf. I recommended CDA bc Missoula is good fishing but the public golf isn’t that great. The schedule here is really driven by the fishing, and unless they hit a tail water it won’t be that great in august. So they may as well get good fishing (CDA river and then ask about some of the small streams) and the public golf is good. No humidity, cool by FL standards.  I can’t imagine MI, WI or anywhere else with mosquitoes. No thank you.

Edited by Petethreeput

The 5 is what we normally tote around when traveling but we are fully kitted though 12weight tarpon rigs. Probably bring 5s and 8 or 9s. Never fished up north. Fished allot out west in co and Idaho.  Live in Marco. Much to learn. 

Every guide I've ever used prefers you to throw his stuff. Its already set up the way he wants it.

This info opens tons of doors.  If I were trying to set up this trip I would post on the fly fishing board first bc the fishing is more seasonal then the golf.  Pick a species and go from there.

Current temps notwithstanding I think I would look at coastal PNW for anadromous fish runs, but I am partial to salmonids over esox. If you prefer trout W MT, N ID.  Though for this year in SW MT the flows are pretty low so Aug could be hoot owl.

33 minutes ago, burnsniper said:

I would recommend Michigan or Wisconsin but change the dry flies to poppers, buggers, and clousers and go for some smallmouth and large mouth.

That's kinda what I'm learning. Also, as I grew up west coast and live s east I've never spent any time upper mid. I hear its beautiful in summer and would like to check it out. Also learning it will be late for muskie,  true?

• Like 1

August can be very good for muskies. Stable weather, fish can be on rocks or relating to weeds. The moon can dictate feeding windows.

If Lake Vermilion is still under consideration, I’d call Spring Bay Resort. They really cater to the Muskie angler and they might even know a guide (I want to say his name is Ben Olson?) who has experience fly fishing for muskies.

Hope your back gets better.

8 hours ago, Baitkiller said:

That's kinda what I'm learning. Also, as I grew up west coast and live s east I've never spent any time upper mid. I hear its beautiful in summer and would like to check it out. Also learning it will be late for muskie,  true?

Not sure about Muskie fishing up there that time of year.  In VA (where I live), you see them all year but most are targeted early in the year (winter).  The only one I have ever hooked/caught was in the summer - about 40” on a 6 wt in a canoe (he grabbed the smallmouth I had just hooked).  Golf should be great up there in August (early September is my favorite as the crouds just disappear after Labor Day weekend).  Also, I have heard there are guides chasing “golden bones” aka Carp on Lake Michigan which could be awesome on fly if anything like real bonefishing (fly fishing for bonefish >>>>> trout fly fishing).

In VA, you could do a great summer fishing and golf trip but you would miss the peak conditions for both and may not really escape the heat in August.  For example, the Pete Dye Virginia Tech River Course is located on the banks of the New River - one of the best smallmouth bass fisheries in the Country.  You could easily take a 1/2 day float trip starting early for some top water action and catch 100+ smallmouth (probably nothing huge that time of year at least on fly), get out dry off and then play a good golf course the same afternoon.

Alternatively,  you could go somewhere in VA with more elevation like the Homestead or Primland and have better golf and fish for stocked rainbow trout (both have private fly fishing only water) and wild brook trout  (even in August). You would also get some relief the heat.

Edited by burnsniper

• 2 weeks later...

I am shocked nobody has mentioned it but I am in the early stages of planning my dads retirement trip to Branson for a golf/fishing trip. Plan on staying at Bass Pro's Big Cedar lodge on Table rock and playing all of the great courses top of the rock, Ozark national, Buffalo Ridge and Tiger Woods new Payne Valley. Fishing wise it is hard to beat either with Table Rock, Lake Tanneycomo tailwater and then the white river not to far. Logistically I am trying to find a way to bring my bass boat and drift boat. It is a great area other then the tourist trap that is Branson. The trout fishing in that area is incredible as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Trip is set. I have a job 9 and 10 in Boyne so flying in 8/3 to grand rapids and driving straight to muskegon.  Rotating smallmouth charters golf and stream fishing. Any suggestions for anything including golf, fishing, food, lodging,  bars, bible study or massage parlors I'll listen.  This is a figure it out as we go trip.

Edited by Baitkiller
  • Like 1

Great choice….have a great trip!  Michigan in August is just about perfect.  Try to hit Pilgrims Run near Grand rapids if you can.  Forest Dunes Is definitely worth it and I think would be a good place to stay for a night or two.  I have not played Arcadia Bluffs but it is on the list for a future trip.  If you like beer the brewery scene is really good in MI.  I like bar/brewery food so that’s also what I recommend for restaurants.  If the trip takes you through Ludington swing by Jamestown Brewing Company for perch fillets and beer.  And if you are looking for something non golf and fishing related I recommend a visit to Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

Stonegate was really good. Still cant get on pilgrims but played waters edge today.  DAMN!. incredible.  Beautiful course. Excellent condition.  Scenic views. Great practice area.  Nice people.  Amazing food w great service.  Talking smoked brisket as nd stone fired pizza, $3PBR. Lollygagged around in 3:15. The only two pretty girls I've seen in the whole state work here.

$40? Are you kidding? I'd pay 200.

20210805_125115.jpg

• Like 2

Stonegate was really good. Still cant get on pilgrims but played waters edge today.  DAMN!. incredible.  Beautiful course. Excellent condition.  Scenic views. Great practice area.  Nice people.  Amazing food w great service.  Talking smoked brisket as nd stone fired pizza, $3PBR. Lollygagged around in 3:15. The only two pretty girls I've seen in the whole state work here.

$40? Are you kidding? I'd pay 200.