Height vs Spin — Surlyn vs Urethane

A.Princey

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but I think you really need to assess your short game intentions when it comes to ball choice. I for one, play height in many short-sided instances, and spin inconsistencies with urethane are costing me proximity to the hole. Spin has been inconsistent on some of these shots, with some stopping quick and others rolling out. Mostly my technique, but also lie dependent. For me, trajectory and launch are much more repeatable, hence my decision to use height as a technique, with a

low spin ionomer ball to reduce the spin variable.

I’ve played 4 rounds now with lower spin ionomer and have lipped the hole 5-6 times(tap-ins to 5’ leaves remaining) and chipped in twice. Could be coincidence, but my “control” over the predicted ionomer rollout seems much better than with a urethane ball. Ymmv

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

3 minutes ago, A.Princey said:

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but I think you really need to assess your short game intentions when it comes to ball choice. I for one, play height in many short-sided instances, and spin inconsistencies with urethane are costing me proximity to the hole. Spin has been inconsistent on some of these shots, with some stopping quick and others rolling out. Mostly my technique, but also lie dependent. For me, trajectory and launch are much more repeatable, hence my decision to use height as a technique, with a

I’ve played 4 rounds now with lower spin ionomer and have lipped the hole 5-6 times(tap-ins to 5’ leaves remaining) and chipped in twice. Could be coincidence, but my “control” over the predicted ionomer rollout seems much better than with a urethane ball. Ymmv

Just curious, what POS have you been playing?

E12 Contact, and most recently super cheap Noodles, as a real test. POS yes, but I cannot argue with results. Playing again tomorrow. Unless I’m playing a 10+ stimp track, and cannot play rollout at all, the urethane balls are staying home.

• Like 1

Edel Brick

10 minutes ago, A.Princey said:

E12 Contact, and most recently super cheap Noodles, as a real test. POS yes, but I cannot argue with results. Playing again tomorrow. Unless I’m playing a 10+ stimp track, and cannot play rollout at all, the urethane balls are staying home.

POS was a joke.  I typically play on 10+ courses and have continued to stick with the surlyns after trying urethanes again for 6-7 months.  At times, the surlyn is definitely limiting, but I found on average there was only ~3 shots per round where I wish I had the option for more spin.  Good luck!

The sub-2000 spin from 30y and in is so predictable with regard to rollout, for me. The std dev of urethane spin is much higher, and so lie dependent.

Edel Brick

Interesting stats with a 80 mph 7-iron (31 degrees):

a) Srixon AD333:

-spin = 5,299

-height = 27.4 yards

-descent = 44 degrees

b) Pro V1x:

-spin = 5,521

-height = 26.9 yards

-descent = 43.7 degrees

c) ERC Soft:

-spin = 4,581

-height = 27.9 yards

-descent = 43.7 degrees

Wedge Spin:  Srixon AD333 = 7,638 , Pro V1x = 7,866, ERC Soft = 6,992

ROBOT TESTED: Which golf ball suits my game? | Today's Golfer (todaysgolfer.co.uk)

I have commented in depth that the surlyn cover has helped me once I started using the lower compression versions.  The surlyn balls have simplified my short game and helped me with course strategy because I know they don’t spin.  If a player can find a surlyn ball that behaves consistently around the greens for them and like me has trouble launching the ball high these ball types can help especially if you have limited practice time.

On 6/18/2021 at 3:11 AM, A.Princey said:

I occasionally use height but wherever possible I like to just get the ball rolling as soon as possible with a lofted or flatter club.  I agree about inconsistent spin with urethane balls (not the balls fault, just my inability to land the ball where I want with the contact required).

Regards  

Due to my skill level I often miss greens so I have quite a few green side chips. I've found that for me there is very little difference between surlyn and urethane, especially since I do more bump and run style chips. It seems like no matter what type of ball or chip I try I get a fair amount of roll out. Granted I know that's probably more down to me than any piece of equipment.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I've played Ionomer cover balls for many years and really like them.  Recently I've been able to acquire urethane covered balls for the same or less $ than my favorite ionomer covered balls.  For some odd twist of fate or the Golf Gods amusement at my expense I always seem to find myself having to chip and pitch over bunkers.  I found the use of the urethane ball does help with keeping the balls on the greens in these situations.  I have no problem switching between both type balls.  Sooooo when I run out of my supply of 8 dozen KSig 3.2, 8 dozen 2019 TP5x, 6 dozen TP5, 3 dozen TM Tour Response (phenomenal ball IMHO) I will dive into the 3 remaining dozen of Callaway Diablo Tour, 4 dozen TF D2 Feel.  (I'm giving my son all the TF and Diablo Tours).  

Do they have a 12 step for golf ball buying addicts?  I've been very tempted to buy the Callaway Hex Tour from Costco.  🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I've played Ionomer cover balls for many years and really like them.  Recently I've been able to acquire urethane covered balls for the same or less $ than my favorite ionomer covered balls.  For some odd twist of fate or the Golf Gods amusement at my expense I always seem to find myself having to chip and pitch over bunkers.  I found the use of the urethane ball does help with keeping the balls on the greens in these situations.  I have no problem switching between both type balls.  Sooooo when I run out of my supply of 8 dozen KSig 3.2, 8 dozen 2019 TP5x, 6 dozen TP5, 3 dozen TM Tour Response (phenomenal ball IMHO) I will dive into the 3 remaining dozen of Callaway Diablo Tour, 4 dozen TF D2 Feel.  (I'm giving my son all the TF and Diablo Tours).  

Do they have a 12 step for golf ball buying addicts?  I've been very tempted to buy the Callaway Hex Tour from Costco.  🤦‍♂️

Don't know about Golf Ball Hoarders Anonymous but I can give you the name of a good divorce lawyer if your wife sees you come home with 6 doz Hex Tours next time she sends you to Costco to buy paper towels and frozen pizzas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Hey, I have 4 boxes of the CSX LS, 8 boxes of MTB-X, a box of Top Flite XL Distance and a box of Z-stars.  I think we both need help with our golf ball addiction. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

16 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Hey, I have 4 boxes of the CSX LS, 8 boxes of MTB-X, a box of Top Flite XL Distance and a box of Z-stars.  I think we both need help with our golf ball addiction. 

We need to start a support group thread here!!  Oh, I forgot about the 3 boxes of MTB-X yellow I have.  Thanks for reminding me.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a change required when going from a high spin urethane ball like a TP5 to a low spin ball like a Cally Supersoft. Played a Superhot last night on the front 9 of my home course (TP5 is my regular ball). Really enjoyed the feel and height, however got some really funny bounces and releases w/ the Superhot. Just couldn't control the ball around the greens as I am used to w/ the TP5. The difference putting was also evident. Needed to put a noticeably harder stroke on the ball and left a few birdie tries short vs the TP5 that I am used to.

Again, the feel of the ball was great as was seeing approach shots fly noticeably higher, however, I prefer the consistency and performance I'm used to with the TP5. 

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

4 hours ago, deepred said:

Anyone notice differences in putting, seems urethane balls need more oomph to get to the hole.

Yeah big time! Despite my username, I've exclusively played softer urethane balls for years. Mainly the Bridgestone Tour BXS.  Recently I've dabbled with a few other types of balls and I've also noticed that it takes far less power with the putter to get the ball past the hole with balls of the surlyn variety.

I'll note though that my sample size isn't large enough to say whether it's the cover material alone, or just individual types of balls within those categories. Maybe there are surlyn balls that are slower off the face and urethane ones that are jumpier, I don't know.

I don't mind though, I'm so done with my "lag putts" from 7 ft!

• Haha 1
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Man, just goes to show that there is so much variation  when it comes to golfer's feels. I couldn't get my putting speed right to save my life with a Callaway Supersoft (left them ALL short). Switched to a TP5 for the back 9 and my feels came back immediately. 

• Thanks 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB