Kbs$ taper stiff or stiff plus

golf1010

That's one of the down sides to the KBS shafts, you can't dial in weight and stiffness independently.   Sometimes you get lucky and find a good match for both but other times you might be better off moving to a different model shaft.

For most ams, weight tends to be more important than stiffness but there are always exceptions.  If you can't demo, trust your own feelings on how important each might be based on your history of playing or testing different shafts.

I’m 110-115 with the driver, pretty smooth and have never felt the kbs $tapers we’re too loose at 120. 

my mizuno shaft optimizer numbers also put me in x100s, and kbs tour S hard strapped or x, can’t remember.

On 6/18/2021 at 3:32 AM, golf1010 said:

Can anyone tell me feel wise with this shaft is it softer playing then it’s flex? Playing elevate x now mainly so the weight is in the 122 area. Can’t stand lighter shafts . 
I’d prefer the 125 weight of the s plus but don’t want to have to make an effort to swing the s plus in the $ taper

The answer to your dilemma lies in how you tackle the ball on good and not so good days.  I have $Taper "S" shafts, played them for a bit a while back before going back to PX 6.0 then to PX 5.5. 

I don't believe the 5g difference is going to be that noticeable partly because swing weight will be a factor in playability.  The flex demand will be noticeable, least it was for me. 

I played 120g PX 6.0, "S+" for a long time, it's comparable to $Taper S+.  And played 115g PX 5.5 stiff which is comparable to $Taper stiff.  I have always gone with the slightly stiffer shaft because I like the demand it puts on me.  From my experience, $Taper stiff plays stiff - $Taper S+ takes a bit more effort to make them work.  If you don't want that extra effort, best go with stiff. 

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

The answer to your dilemma lies in how you tackle the ball on good and not so good days.  I have $Taper "S" shafts, played them for a bit a while back before going back to PX 6.0 then to PX 5.5. 

I don't believe the 5g difference is going to be that noticeable partly because swing weight will be a factor in playability.  The flex demand will be noticeable, least it was for me. 

I played 120g PX 6.0, "S+" for a long time, it's comparable to $Taper S+.  And played 115g PX 5.5 stiff which is comparable to $Taper stiff.  I have always gone with the slightly stiffer shaft because I like the demand it puts on me.  From my experience, $Taper stiff plays stiff - $Taper S+ takes a bit more effort to make them work.  If you don't want that extra effort, best go with stiff. 

This analysis is spot on. I’m in the same ballpark on shafts, and I often decide to play shafts a half-flex softer than is recommended because I prefer the shaft not add any harshness. Fit to Rifle 6.0, I like 5.5 better, even 5.0 (those Rifle shafts play stiff!) The old 5.0 version is 115g and I found they held up just like the 5.5. 

I technically fit a KBS Tour 120 stiff but I agree with the OP that it feels a little too stout to me. In that shaft, I prefer the feel of the 110g reg but for it to work I probably need to hardstep it twice. Even then, slightly heavier seems to always work better. I don’t notice 5 grams difference but I do at 10g. 

To me, the $Taper in general does not feel as stiff as the Tour. I just was on a monitor on Monday and I tried various shaft weights. I could hit several shafts fine, but it was clear more weight led to my best tempo. The best shaft in the session was the $ Taper 120. With that one I was landing balls on the centerline and I had optimal spin. I didn’t try the stiff plus. The $ Taper is solid but smooth, like a tweener of the Tour and CTaper.  I’m about to put the 120s in a set of irons. 

Just my experience…

Elevates had a bit higher ball flight and spin.

Similar weights.

The Tour Elevate X100 felt smooth-didn’t have to work at it or adjust my tempo but the  $-Taper 125s felt smoother and to be honest, I could not tell the difference in feel between the $-Taper 125s and 130s. They are a very silky, smooth feeling shaft for a moderate tempo.

Rox

2021 in the Bag!

Tsi2 9°/Hzrdus RDX Blue 6.5<br  />Tsi2 15°/Aldiss Green 75X<br />Epic Flash 21° Hzrdus Black 6.5<br/>Mizuno CLK 19°/Speeder Stiff<br>Srixon Z785 5 iron/$Taper 125<br>Epon 303 6 iron/$-Taper 125<br/>ZX-7 7-PW/$-Taper 125<br/>51° Cobra King Tour MiM Gap Wedge/AMT Wedge Black>Callaway MD4 Forged 54°10/KBS Tour S and SM8 D Grind 60°8/KBS Tour S<br />Taylormade Spyder S Blue<br />Bridgestone R-XS
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backup:

Callaway Razr X forged 4-PW/DGX100

Srixon Z945 4-PW/Tour Elevate VSS X100

Scotty Cameron 5W Black 36”

My experience with $-Tapers has been odd to say the least since my swap this season from C-Taper 120 stiff. I cant be happier with the swap, but I had to do some serious tweaking to dial in. With the long irons they're perfect, I get a nice mid flight out of them and great spin performance that I can control without effort. With the shorter irons in my set it was a coin flip. I didn't get much consistency in launch, distance, or spin and controlling my shots and direction left a lot to be desired. What left me confused and frustrated was my contact with the 8/9/PW/AW was consistent and solid. I have a local fitter I've been going to for years and we did a performance evaluation on the entire set and the results shocked me. We wound up hard stepping the 8/9 irons, and half stepping the PW/AW and added a few grams of weight to each iron so they all weight in the 125 gram range. Instant improvement in all of the performance areas I listed above that were lacking. After all of that I'm still very happy with my decision to swap. Great feel and performance. 

Edited by ShankAaron
Because I cant spell....

Shanks 2021 WITB

O.B. Finder- Cally Epic Speed LS 🔹🔹🔹Autoflex 505X

3W- Sim2 Max Tensei Blue 7S

5W- Epic Max MMT 7S 

4H- Apex 21 MMT 8S (Testing the Epic Speed Super Hybrid)

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

SW/LW- Ping Glide Forged 54/58 (Testing the Jaws Full Face, and the Ping Forged Pro ATM though.....)

Flat One- Scotty Phantom X6 Tour Stability Shaft

Pro V1X

Vessel Players III 

On 6/18/2021 at 7:40 AM, golf1010 said:

So Kbs tour x is to stiff for me . I should go regular stiff ?

For sure.  The S+ flex is quite stout.  It plays closer to a typical x flex IMO.  I got the c-tapers when they first came out.  I could handle x flex, but was recommended to go with S+ because I would really have to go after it to make x load properly and my ss was 122 with driver at the time. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

If you like the weight but need to go down slightly in flex just soft step them. I play c taper 130’s soft stepped twice for this reason. My tempo and release won’t overpower 120’s that I played for years, but I over swing lighter shafts sometimes. 

PING G425 LST 9* Accra 6x TZP Proto

Sim MAX 14* AD IZ 7x

Sim MAX 18* AD IZ 7s

718 AP2 4-P Ctaper Black 130x ss2x

SM8 Raw 52*  Ctaper Black 130x

SM8 Raw 58* S grind wedge shaft

TMade Spider Tour

Imho $-taper play about 1/2 stiffer than Tours. If you want a stouter feeling shaft you can go after better than a Tour (which are a bit unpredictable when really pressed) I'd recommend giving $-taper at 1/2 flex less. Good thing about $-taper you can get that awesome mid launch, low spin, flat trajectory of a Tour, but unlike a tour I have found with $-taper if I go at it more aggressively on some swing for whatever reason, the shaft won't overflex. I used to have to get Tours S flex and hard them 1x, now I just use $-taper in stiff without hard stepped. 

Edited by JD3

Ping G400 10.5 Kuro Kage TiNi 60s
Taylormade M2 3 HL FW Kuro Kage TiNi 70s  
Ping G410 #4 Project X Black HY 85s
Mizuno JPX-921 SEL 4-PW Modus 120s
Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 & 60.5 KBS 610 R+
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips
Titleist ProV1 (yellow) 
UA Jordan Spieth 2
Footjoy Tour Glove