Time for a Fifth Major

DHAMFROMBHAM

35 minutes ago, cliche said:

i don't think that there should be a fifth major. but i think that north america should hold only one major as a country. the other ones should be held in continental europe, asia/oceania and africa/south america.

Which American majors you shipping overseas? Or just deeming them no more and creating majors out of nothing? And “continental Europe”? So you shutting down or “moving” The Open Championship?

Every country doesn’t get a trophy. 

On 6/26/2021 at 5:47 AM, Titleist84 said:

This will never happen because it wasn't around when Nicklaus,  Hogan, Jones, etc... were playing, but I think the test for the GOAT should be the number of FedEx Cups won.  

You have one champion per year as opposed to four majors.  Anyone can get hot for a week and win a major (Ben Curtis and Shaun Micheel) as opposed to a test over an entire season with 3 playoff events that cut the field down to the top 30 players in the final event.  

I’m not sure I am buying your whole premise with the FedEx Cup winner but agree with you on the majors.  Most players win about the same percentage of those as they do other events.  There is nothing inherently special about the majors compared to other events such as the Memorial or Players but to some they are so much more important. 
Padraig Harrington having more than Norman or Miiler? Andy North having won more than Montgomerie, Sergio, Couples……and many many more. In any given week things happen.  See Beem, Moody, Cody Fleck……

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speen PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Adams A12 21* UST VTS Silver 75s

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 6-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

14 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Which American majors you shipping overseas? Or just deeming them no more and creating majors out of nothing? And “continental Europe”? So you shutting down or “moving” The Open Championship?

Every country doesn’t get a trophy. 

how about this:
masters and the open at st. andrews  should be at those locations every 4 years or so. the other years it should be somewhere in north america or europe.
the PGA championship and the players should be held somewhere asia/oceania and africa/south america.
agree @Hawkeye77?

44 minutes ago, cliche said:

how about this:
masters and the open at st. andrews  should be at those locations every 4 years or so. the other years it should be somewhere in north america or europe.
the PGA championship and the players should be held somewhere asia/oceania and africa/south america.
agree @Hawkeye77?

Sure .... and the Tour de France will be in France 1/4 years and otherwise rotate among Greenland, Turkey and Ecuador.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, cliche said:

the TdF is sometimes visiting other country for some part of the stages.

LOL, yes sometimes it starts in another country, has on occasion for around 70 years, but just a stage or two, mostly symbolic and often not even remotely connected to the rest of the route.  So you think play the first round of The Open Championship in Brussels, then everyone fly over to Scotland for the next three rounds?  Wimbledon in Trieste? 

These idea of a global major are interesting.

Seems to me that it's on the world's other PGA's to create and attract a huge field to an event, which could someday be viewed as a major. Get all of the other PGA's to band together, find a good recurring date somewhere between Nov - Feb, and have it at sites in the southern hemisphere or close to the equator and you'd have a chance. A large portion of the world has suitable weather and courses for that time period. 

Maybe it would be like the king of the WGC's or something.

Also... if any of the players would start to give a crap about the Olympics then it could be a fifth major and globally distributed. For tennis is kind of seems like it's a half major. Not quite a major, but bigger than any ATP event.

While I'm on the Olympics, not running it like the NCAA championship is a huge miss. I'd love to see an individual and a team champ named. It's not that hard to come up with ways to run it that way. E.g.:

- Top 4 players from any country with 4 players in the top 200 OWGR are in (and in as a team)

- The top 2 players from any country who's country did not qualify as a team, that are in the top 200 OWGR

- 4 rounds of stroke play to start. Low ball gets gold, 2nd gets Silver, 3rd gets Bronze

- Individuals who are also on teams are also scored in aggregate as a team. Top 6 teams go into match play for team medals. Top 2 teams from stroke play get byes into the second round

If today were the cutoff to make the field the total field would be roughly 70 people. Players from 28 countries with potential for an individual medal. 11 countries eligible for a team medal.

Teams: USA, UK, Ireland / N Irl (I think they compete together?), South Africa, Australia, Canada, Spain, France, Japan, Korea, and Sweden.

Additional individuals from: Norway, Mexico, Chile, Austria, Italy, Colombia, Argentina, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Venezuela, Slovakia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Taiwan, and Poland. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, golfday said:

These idea of a global major are interesting.

Seems to me that it's on the world's other PGA's to create and attract a huge field to an event, which could someday be viewed as a major. Get all of the other PGA's to band together, find a good recurring date somewhere between Nov - Feb, and have it at sites in the southern hemisphere or close to the equator and you'd have a chance. A large portion of the world has suitable weather and courses for that time period. 

Maybe it would be like the king of the WGC's or something.

Also... if any of the players would start to give a crap about the Olympics then it could be a fifth major and globally distributed. For tennis is kind of seems like it's a half major. Not quite a major, but bigger than any ATP event.

While I'm on the Olympics, not running it like the NCAA championship is a huge miss. I'd love to see an individual and a team champ named. It's not that hard to come up with ways to run it that way. E.g.:

- Top 4 players from any country with 4 players in the top 200 OWGR are in (and in as a team)

- The top 2 players from any country who's country did not qualify as a team, that are in the top 200 OWGR

- 4 rounds of stroke play to start. Low ball gets gold, 2nd gets Silver, 3rd gets Bronze

- Individuals who are also on teams are also scored in aggregate as a team. Top 6 teams go into match play for team medals. Top 2 teams from stroke play get byes into the second round

If today were the cutoff to make the field the total field would be roughly 70 people. Players from 28 countries with potential for an individual medal. 11 countries eligible for a team medal.

Teams: USA, UK, Ireland / N Irl (I think they compete together?), South Africa, Australia, Canada, Spain, France, Japan, Korea, and Sweden.

Additional individuals from: Norway, Mexico, Chile, Austria, Italy, Colombia, Argentina, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Venezuela, Slovakia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Taiwan, and Poland. 

Northern Ireland is part of "Team GB".

Edited by Hawkeye77

19 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Northern Ireland is part of "Team GB".

I thought that at first, but then I saw that Rory is playing for Ireland. So at least some portion of Northern Ireland players are on the Ireland Team.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/rory-mcilroy-confirms-plans-play-ireland-2020-olympics

Maybe the Northern Ireland citizens get to pick between GB vs Ireland or something along those lines?

8 minutes ago, golfday said:

I thought that at first, but then I saw that Rory is playing for Ireland. So at least some portion of Northern Ireland players are on the Ireland Team.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/rory-mcilroy-confirms-plans-play-ireland-2020-olympics

Maybe the Northern Ireland citizens get to pick between GB vs Ireland or something along those lines?

9 minutes ago, golfday said:

Yes, he had the choice. 

Do we need a fifth major? No.

And I prefer the PGA Championship to the Players, because TPC Sawgrass is a bit tricked up, and the PGA Championship revolves around some very nice golf courses.

Maybe someday there will be a major in another part of the world, but I doubt it will be in my lifetime.  And with global warming going the way it is, Scotland/United Kingdom is looking better and better as a golf destination.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 6/27/2021 at 3:37 PM, Shilgy said:

I’m not sure I am buying your whole premise with the FedEx Cup winner but agree with you on the majors.  Most players win about the same percentage of those as they do other events.  There is nothing inherently special about the majors compared to other events such as the Memorial or Players but to some they are so much more important. 
Padraig Harrington having more than Norman or Miiler? Andy North having won more than Montgomerie, Sergio, Couples……and many many more. In any given week things happen.  See Beem, Moody, Cody Fleck……

Who is this Cody Fleck?

I don't think golf needs a fifth major, especially since there's no defined process for a tournament to be deemed a major. But what I would like to see is a sort of World Invitational: a tournament drawing qualifiers from every tour in the world played on every continent where golf is played. Play it on a different continent each year on a rotating basis, no continent could host more often than every 5 years. Run it with input & representation from every golf governing body; the PGA, USGA, R&A, Euro tour would all be represented but so would all the other governing bodies. Go to countries where golf is booming & to courses the viewing public has never seen & likely will never play due to distance. 

I know there are staggering political & logistical problems that would have to be solved, but I think it would be cool whether anybody calls it a major or not. The Open is the closest thing we have now, but this would be much bigger & more global.

Edited by jonsnow

IMO between all the WGC events and the existing Majors , and then the Players ..the Majors dont seem to have the dramatic build up at times, and then a regular Tour event becomes more of who isn't playing and not who is playing....I can see why the top players are very selective as to which events they commit to, very difficult to peak every week for a huge event

6 hours ago, jonsnow said:

Who is this Cody Fleck?

Spell check got me…was supposed  to be Coody and Fleck

• Like 1

Only quality 5th major would be to play the Masters twice

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 9° MMT 60s
Callaway Epic 15° Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65s
Callaway Super Hybrid 20° 
Recoil Dart F3 75H

Srixon 765 Irons Nippon Modus 105s
Cleveland Zipcore Wedges 50/54/58 Tour Issue Spinner 
Odyssey Triple Track Double Wide Putter
Callaway Chrome Soft X Ball

🇱🇷

On 7/1/2021 at 3:36 AM, jonsnow said:

Great idea! One in the spring, one in the fall.

I'm reminded of the innocent - and possibly apocryphal - remark of a wet, bedraggled and wind-ruffled Japanese visitor to the Open Championship one July day in Scotland:

'Why don't you hold this championship in the summer?'

• Haha 1

Old Nike woods with blue shafts, Titleist 712Us and a bagful of 681s, two rusty old Vokeys, an Eye 2 L wedge and an Anser 2

I'm all for a 5th major, but if you're going to do it, it has to be done right.  Let's bring back the Greater Vancouver Open as the 5th, that way Brandel can not only have 1 victory, but also a major tied to his name.  

• Haha 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Steelfiber FC 

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

“Time for a 5th major” 

No, no it isn’t. 

My opinion I guess, obviously they have stature ($) and tenure, but the four they have is quite enough for me. How would you back catalogue the wins? They didn’t think winning the players in 1988 was the same as winning a US Open or Open. They came down the home stretch thinking about money, nothing much more;  exemptions perhaps, I guess. 

But what do I know. 

Titleist 913D2 8.5 Fuji Fuel TS 70X
913 FD 13.5 D+ 82 X
Adams Idea Pro Gold 18*
714 MB/CB PX 6.0 HS
Stainless Newport Beach/Circa 62 No. 2
Titleist 54.08 & Mizzy 60.06

31 minutes ago, Jake0331 said:

“Time for a 5th major” 

No, no it isn’t. 

My opinion I guess, obviously they have stature ($) and tenure, but the four they have is quite enough for me. How would you back catalogue the wins? They didn’t think winning the players in 1988 was the same as winning a US Open or Open. They came down the home stretch thinking about money, nothing much more;  exemptions perhaps, I guess. 

But what do I know. 

I’m guessing that if they came down the home stretch in any of those events thinking about the things you mentioned they didn’t win. 

On 6/27/2021 at 2:02 PM, cliche said:

i don't think that there should be a fifth major. but i think that north america should hold only one major as a country. the other ones should be held in continental europe, asia/oceania and africa/south america.

Ah, but  you are forgetting two big points.

First, you can't just "decide" to make a tournament a "major". There has to be widespread recognition by players and fans. No one even questions whether the Masters is a major. The HSBC Champions? Never.

Biggest point though? Golf isn't rocket science. It won't cure cancer. It is (as all sports are) entertainment. Same category as music, or movies. Golfers certainly do love to play the game, but at the end of the day entertainers want to make money. The reason 3 out of 4 majors are in the US is because it is by far the largest market in the world for golf - by several orders of magnitude. 

Maybe a dozen US pros play a few events on the EU or Asian tours, but no more than that. But virtually every good pro in the EU plays in the US. Heck, some of them even have second houses here. Why? Google "total prize money" in an average year for the PGA tour, the EU tour, and the Asian tour. 

Anyone who qualifies for the US Open, or gets invited to Augusta, from anywhere in the world, shows up. But say you declared that the four majors would now (as you suggest) be in the US, the UK, Singapore, and Australia. How many of the world's top 50 would bother to travel to Asia or Australia? Or Africa, or South America? 

No - I think the current 4 majors are pretty much optimized for both the best players in the world, and the majority of the fans. We don't need a 5th major. And certainly don't need to think about moving any existing ones to places that have a fraction of the fanbase for the game as exists in the US and UK.

Titleist TSi2 10.75* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4 - PW ~ KBS $-Taper 120

Vokey SM8 Slate Blue Wedge 50* 08F  ~ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Vokey SM8 Slate Blue Wedge 56* 14F  ~ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 ball