Best face milling and/or groove tech

Who do you think offers the best milling or best face technology like grooves or insert and why? 

I've had Bettinardi's FIT face and Roll Control Face, Odyssey's last few insert versions, Evnroll's Sweet Face Technology, and my Scotty's with just standard milling.

I have a SIK on the way with their DLT face, so I wanted to see what others had as opinions to see if they match my own perspectives. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carbon steel with no milling (flat).   It's what I'm currently using and pmy putting has never been better 👍

Keep in mind that these face technologies are designed to do different things.   Evnroll's grooves, Cleveland's milling pattern, and Ping's TR grooves are designed to achieve the same speed

I've tried almost every modern face milling or insert under the sun except for the KB Pyramid Grooves which I have coming and the Bettinardi RCF which isn't in stores where I'm at.    The be

Posted Images

the fit face, odyssey inserts, and evnroll felt too soft for me and I could never get the feel down.  I've only tried the scotty putters with light face milling and to me it was too hard feeling or maybe the sound that made it not comfortable to me.  I've found that I prefer deep face millings and recently the toulon has me enamored.  The sound and feel click all my boxes.  I havent tried the sik putters though.

• Like 1

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

5 hours ago, Hunteruu said:

Who do you think offers the best milling or best face technology like grooves or insert and why? 

I've had Bettinardi's FIT face and Roll Control Face, Odyssey's last few insert versions, Evnroll's Sweet Face Technology, and my Scotty's with just standard milling.

I have a SIK on the way with their DLT face, so I wanted to see what others had as opinions to see if they match my own perspectives. 

I have not seen the sik on quintic, but no doubt the Evnroll groove technology is superior to others.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G42522 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping G25-PW Steelfiber i95 Recoil reg

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50*ss, 54*ss @ 55*, 60*ts AWT Wedge flex
Rife Barbados 33”

20 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I have not seen the sik on quintic, but no doubt the Evnroll groove technology is superior to others.

The TXG YouTube channel did SIK on Quintic recently with the new Cobra putters that have their DLT on them. Those results were outstanding as well. 

Edited by MPAndreassi
  • Like 1

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Red 9x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

620 / MC X-Firm

WITB Thread

Keep in mind that these face technologies are designed to do different things.

Evnroll's grooves, Cleveland's milling pattern, and Ping's TR grooves are designed to achieve the same speed across the face. In theory, this means your putts will go the same distance no matter where on the face you hit the ball.

On the other hand, you have Bettinardi's Roll Control grooves, TaylorMade's insert, and Odyssey's Microhinges. These are all designed to aid in the creation of forward roll on the ball. Balls with top spin are supposed to stay on line better and roll truer.

Sik's face tech is supposed to deliver the same loft no matter where on the face you hit the ball (vertically speaking). So even if you hit the ball a little thin and low on the face, you'll get the same launch as a putt the correctly strikes above center.

• Like 4

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 deg

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Callaway Mavrik 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

SeeMore Platinum mFGP20

I like Bettinardi's FIT best ... but I was also very fond of the original Rife grooves (and I think I was in the minority).

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide 2.0 ES, 56*
Putter: Bettinardi iNOVAi 5.0
Ball: Bridgestone B RX
Bag: Ping Mascot

I've tried almost every modern face milling or insert under the sun except for the KB Pyramid Grooves which I have coming and the Bettinardi RCF which isn't in stores where I'm at. 

The best for roll to this point is the Bobby Grace inserts. But they're super soft, he's apparently come out with a firmer aluminum but still too soft for some or not pleasing to the ear. 

Best milled is SIK and like @MaineMarinersaid it's for constant launch which makes a huge difference cause you can hit down on the ball with a Bobby Grace or anything else and it will just die into the ground. 

The Bettinardi F.I.T. Face is more a feel milling than anything else but for some it helps with speed. Their RCF is supposed to be an evolution of the FIT and also helps the YES C-Groove patent expired cause they used that too when milling those putters for Fitzpatrick. This could be a great face for getting roll on the ball. 

Evnroll I'm gonna say meh, wasn't a fan and honestly Rife stole this idea from Ping with their TR Grooves. I know some diehard Rife fans but I'll die on that hill saying Rife is the best used car sales man in golf and he's admitted to it. Plus many other companies have a similar face milling. 

When I get my KB putter I'll comment on that. 

But also a standard fly mill or no milling work awesome too even just simple horizontal grooves. I've tried them all and with some practical to get speed down any putter can be deadly. No putter will make up for a bad stroke, bad line and awful speed. Again get speed down and you will be a better putter no matter what you use. 

• Like 3

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

10 hours ago, Hunteruu said:

Thought there was something to TMAGs org spyder with the grey insert 

Bettinardi fit face , had bb0 putter dass with fit face , way too soft IMOP , on a carbon putter it would feel like punching a bag full of terry cloth towels 

betti fly mill is nice and firm , the honeycomb is great on the carbon heads 

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

4 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

Keep in mind that these face technologies are designed to do different things.

Evnroll's grooves, Cleveland's milling pattern, and Ping's TR grooves are designed to achieve the same speed across the face. In theory, this means your putts will go the same distance no matter where on the face you hit the ball.

On the other hand, you have Bettinardi's Roll Control grooves, TaylorMade's insert, and Odyssey's Microhinges. These are all designed to aid in the creation of forward roll on the ball. Balls with top spin are supposed to stay on line better and roll truer.

Sik's face tech is supposed to deliver the same loft no matter where on the face you hit the ball (vertically speaking). So even if you hit the ball a little thin and low on the face, you'll get the same launch as a putt the correctly strikes above center.

Evnroll grooves are to eliminate skidding in addition to regulating speed, and to gear a ball back online. Guerin’s original design going back a couple decades ago to Micro Groove Spalding putters he designed before starting Rife. 

Edited by hammergolf

Rife Barbados 33”

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. 

Pretty on par with the general consensus, but I do prefer a bit of a softer feel. 

I loved the roll I got from both of Bettinardi's milling, but found the putters themselves too unforgiving in my less than perfect stroke. When I did hit them pure, they were amazing. If a iNOVAi 3.0 ever surfaces in lefty, I'll give them another go. 

The Odyssey line has always been a favorite to me. Soft, yet responsive. I can't say I have too much bad to say about them, but they just don't offer anything currently I'd game. The Ten was great, so maybe the next version of that after the two ball thing goes away (was never a fan).

I recently got an Evenroll ER10, and I can't seem to love this any more than I do. High MOI with an aluminum face, and the grooves that seem to do what they say. For me, that means dispersion. I  much more consistent and closes to the hole on longer putts than anything else I've ever rolled. It actually made me pull the trigger to get an ER5 just to see if it's a fluke and to feel it from a steel face. 

Scotty's I've had have all be aluminum faces (again, my preference), and are super predictable. I love it, but I can't say I get the same results as I do from the Evnroll. I mean, I'll never get rid of it, but it may only come out for fun days.

I'm really interested in how the SIK will be. I know it's a steel face, so not my usual, but I really wanted to see if anything else could dethrone the ER10. If not, I'm not unhappy, but at least I'll know and get to feel what the hype is about. 

Can't say I've looked into a Bobby Grace, but I'll give it a look after reading a few of y'all mention it. 

I've really come to appreciate the Bettinardi Roll Control Face. It really does impact the quality of roll in a noticeable way.

As @MattM97 states, the RCF is really similar to the Yes! C-Groove from many years back. Those of you still lamenting Yes!'s demise might want to check out Bettinardi.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Just now, jholz said:

I've really come to appreciate the Bettinardi Roll Control Face. It really does impact the quality of roll in a noticeable way.

As @MattM97 states, the RCF is really similar to the Yes! C-Groove from many years back. Those of you still lamenting Yes!'s demise might want to check out Bettinardi.

The Yes design is still technically alive in the TaylorMade inserts or maybe they're past that. But when TM acquired Adam's which owned Yes they put that tech into their inserts right away.

But since the patent is now expired any putter maker can use that milling and angles. Which could be really cool if you're a die hard Yes fan and want something modern. 

• Like 1

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

The Yes design is still technically alive in the TaylorMade inserts or maybe they're past that. But when TM acquired Adam's which owned Yes they put that tech into their inserts right away.

But since the patent is now expired any putter maker can use that milling and angles. Which could be really cool if you're a die hard Yes fan and want something modern. 

Yeah, I remember seeing a few versions of the C-grooves on here in the last couple of years, but seems like no one ever really sticks to it the way Yes! did. It must be a conspiracy to keep people putting poorly and continuously thinking they need a new putter.

• Haha 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

IMO, the best face tech is anything with horizontal grooves.  I find I get the best roll out of the ball with putters like the Spiders and even my Anser Milled 2.  May not offer the best feel, but to me there is no question they are best for getting the ball rolling without skid.

Callaway Mavrik 9.5 Aldila Rogue white 60x

Ping G425 Max 14.5*  Aldila Rogue whtie 70x

Titleist 818h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Ping S55 KBS $ Taper 125ht 4-P

Ping Glide 2.0 stealth 52/12, 58/10

Taylormade Spider X Navy 35"

1 hour ago, Nixhex524 said:

IMO, the best face tech is anything with horizontal grooves.  I find I get the best roll out of the ball with putters like the Spiders and even my Anser Milled 2.  May not offer the best feel, but to me there is no question they are best for getting the ball rolling without skid.

I agree with you. I have a TM TP soto and it rolls amazing 

• Like 1
On 6/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, BostonWRX said:

I agree with you. I have a TM TP soto and it rolls amazing 

So funny that you guys are saying this. I’ve been searching for a putter (I’m embarrassed to admit how many I’ve bought and sold at this point), and today I was absolutely shocked at how well I was rolling the new hydro blast TP. 

• Like 1

This isnt anything "groove tech" but this is one of the purest feeling putters I have rolled.

20210427_090045.jpg

Edited by PixlPutterman

Taylormade Sim 9° - Smoke Green 70x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° - HiRev 2.0
Mack Made Custom 
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

13 hours ago, mistaklavin said:

So funny that you guys are saying this. I’ve been searching for a putter (I’m embarrassed to admit how many I’ve bought and sold at this point), and today I was absolutely shocked at how well I was rolling the new hydro blast TP. 

No doubt. Best looking and feeling putter TM has ever made.

• Like 1

Rife Barbados 33”