2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Old geezer Whoops the Youngins

platgof

I can relate to this. Unfortunately as the young man getting whooped on by the old men at my club. We have some very good, very competitive “senior” golfers who still tee it up from the tips (we’re only around 6300 yards, built in 1927) and take our cash.

• Like 3

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

5 hours ago, platgof said:

I was playing some young men 30-40 who were driving it around 260-280. I am 64 and drive it usually 205. I won by one stroke over the closest one shooting 85 today. I was struggling with doubles, but had two birdies on the back nine. Birdied the 17th hole to take a one stroke lead. One player told the other that he did not expect the old geezer to chip it in. I was glad to be invited to play with them, and gave it my best. They played the whites and I played the senior tees. Some holes I had a 40 yard gap, but on some it was only 10 to 15 yard gap. I missed a third birdie by one inch, bummer. I am glad to be playing well again after a rough stretch. You never know how things will turn out in golf.

Thats great golf in my book.  If you havent already, check out OMP from the golf mates youtube channel, hes 81 and still is a 12handicap. Nice to hear stories like this 👍

• Like 3

6 hours ago, platgof said:

I was playing some young men 30-40 who were driving it around 260-280. I am 64 and drive it usually 205. I won by one stroke over the closest one shooting 85 today. I was struggling with doubles, but had two birdies on the back nine. Birdied the 17th hole to take a one stroke lead. One player told the other that he did not expect the old geezer to chip it in. I was glad to be invited to play with them, and gave it my best. They played the whites and I played the senior tees. Some holes I had a 40 yard gap, but on some it was only 10 to 15 yard gap. I missed a third birdie by one inch, bummer. I am glad to be playing well again after a rough stretch. You never know how things will turn out in golf.

WTG...Yes it is always fun when us older guys can still hang with the younger guys.

I recently played with a group of 8 get together. There were four of us in our sixties and four younger guns. There are two guys that hit it 280-300. On the first tee it was said that we all had to play the whites. I said really why don't you let us play from the senior tees. Oh no that's not fair one of the young guys replies. So we all played the whites. On the first hole we measured the two best drives. One was 292 and the other was 301. With us older guys the best drive at 220.

I still have a decent fairway woods and hybrid game. I can rely on my chipping and putting most days. In the end the best score was 81 from the 300 yd guy and I came in second with an 84. Two of the older guys were up around 110. 

It was nice hanging with the young guys but I didn't find it as fun playing the wrong tees for me. Most likely if I had of played the seniors tees I probably wouldn't have scored any better but I would have had more fun.

• Like 1

I dig it and my advice is to take advantage of it while you can because as the youngster's level of competence improves the momentum will start to swing in their favor because they have a distance advantage that will eventually become a strength as they hone their craft if they have the drive to be good at the game.  They have an upward trajectory and room for improvement while the older golfer is trying to hold onto what they got for as long as possible.  The young Lion will eventually run off the old Lion...this is inevitable in life and in sport!  Embrace the challenge and spirt of competition though at all stages though. 

We had an older guy in our group in his 60's and he used to love to beat up on us because he was still physically capable and his experience in the game was miles ahead of our own.  Over the years his physical skills begin to diminish while ours were still on an upward tend it was no surprise that one day the money matches ended as he was no longer competitive.  We used to always play the tips and then one day he knew he would no longer be competitive from the tips so he propositioned  us to play from one forward.  We all  knew that was the beginning of the end and we will all experience it one day.  

Edited by Righty to Lefty

I'm 60 and still play with younger guys, mostly in their 30's, they often outdrive me by 50 yards or so while I hit about 250-260 yards with roll. I play from back tees once a while which is around 6950 yds long. It's bit long for me but it gives my longer clubs a good workout. They know I can beat them often but we always have fun anyway. The younger kids are around scratch, play often with a guy that qualified for USGA Mid-Am few years ago.

Most of the time, I play from 6300 yards long tees which is just right for me.

Edited by br61

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

My father is 72 and still manages to kick me and my brother's a** around the course half the time.  I still consider him the best golfer in my entire family on his side and my mother's side.  He's also extremely consistent as well score wise whereas I'm more hit and miss.  He only hits it maybe 240 max on a good one but averages 220ish.  His ball striking and short game is so good that it more than makes up for his lack of distance.  He doesn't have an index anymore but I would imagine it to be around a 6 or 7.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

It is an advantage though but their lack of experience means that they can't take full advantage of it yet.  An older player is taking advantage of a younger player's lack of experience. As the younger player gains experience, confidence, and trust in their skills the tables will abruptly turn because the older player's game is either barely holding on or is in decline.  

I played in a mixed group a few weeks ago, 6 of the 8 were over 70, including my Dad. 

The old guys said they were going to play the Sr. Tees, me and the other young guy gave them a friendly hard time about being old. 

After playing with them I now see why it makes sense, these guys were short off the tee but consistent. If they played blues/whites they would have had a bad time.

After the round my Dad who is 72 and has always played blue/whites with me said he is done and moving to the Sr. Tees going forward.  I guess he deserves it. 

I play a bit with a past club champ at my club and have matches against a few older guys as well. On Arccos my avg drive is just over 300 whilst a few of these guys are a good 25-40 behind me. I'm tied at the top of 9 hole men's league scoring avg at just over 36 but these guys are just behind in the 37-38 range. Taking HC into consideration the matches can be downright stressful. They might not hit it as far but a couple of them hit a baby draw in the 260 range into the fairway nearly every time and can chip in/sink putts on you in a heartbeat. I'm at 55-60% FIR which stats wise is good, but our rough is very penal and those misses can be costly. Any young guy that doesn't fear playing somebody older who has some game has no idea what they're getting into. An older ex-+ capper can still get the best of you from a few yards back without issue. 

I'm happy for the OP and i don't mean this in any way to dismiss it --More to say this really isn't that shocking actually

I don't know why anyone is surprised by 60+ yr olds still playing extremely high level golf. I have played with numerous guys in their late 50's and early 60s who still play to scratch or even plus indexes from the tips on 6700/6800yd courses. I play at one of the top clubs in Quebec and our 10-man team for the Quebec comps this year has 2 teenagers, 1 person in their 20s, 2 people in their 30s, 1 person in their 40s and 4 players who are seniors (55+). Our alternate is 75yrs old and is a 1.8 index

2 years ago i played in the anchor group of the second highest club pairings in the province and the guy who won it was 65~ and shot under par. He beat me (37 at the time) and 2 young kids.

Some of the best amateurs i know are 55+.

I've said this before but the rarest top ams are ones who are in their 30s. This is far more uncommon than a senior. People in their 30s suck at golf, they have jobs and young kids. We have had years where we have had no one on our team between the ages of 20 and 55, literally

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

I'm happy for the OP and i don't mean this in any way to dismiss it --More to say this really isn't that shocking actually

I don't know why anyone is surprised by 60+ yr olds still playing extremely high level golf. I have played with numerous guys in their late 50's and early 60s who still play to scratch or even plus indexes from the tips on 6700/6800yd courses. I play at one of the top clubs in Quebec and our 10-man team for the Quebec comps this year has 2 teenagers, 1 person in their 20s, 2 people in their 30s, 1 person in their 40s and 4 players who are seniors (55+). Our alternate is 75yrs old and is a 1.8 index

2 years ago i played in the anchor group of the second highest club pairings in the province and the guy who won it was 65~ and shot under par. He beat me (37 at the time) and 2 young kids.

Some of the best amateurs i know are 55+.

I've said this before but the rarest top ams are ones who are in their 30s. This is far more uncommon than a senior. People in their 30s suck at golf, they have jobs and young kids. We have had years where we have had no one on our team between the ages of 20 and 55, literally

Agreed.

However, in this case, none of the golfers would be considered top tier. The OP played from the senior tees and the other three played from the white tees. The winner shot 85.

Nice that the OP won but is it worthy of a brag? Not really.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Agreed.

However, in this case, none of the golfers would be considered top tier. The OP played from the senior tees and the other three played from the white tees. The winner shot 85.

Nice that the OP won but is it worthy of a brag? Not really.

As I said before.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I play a regular Monday game with guys who are 20+ years my senior (I'm 45).  

The following things are true:

1. They whoop my a**. 

Regularly, and on time.  I happily accept that, and it gives me something to aspire to.

2. Sometimes a 20-30 year old guy will join us.  He will bomb one to the moon, but be in the next fairway.  We all ooh and ahh, but his score will be un-good.

3.  These older guys all know what they can, and can-not do.  They play the game based on what they can do.   They don't play by what they hope they could do.

Knowledge of that goes a pretty long way.......  In all aspects of life I guess......

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

People in their 30s suck at golf, they have jobs and young kids. We have had years where we have had no one on our team between the ages of 20 and 55, literally

As a dude who is in his 30s, with 3 kids under 10 and one being a month old, I can attest to the accuracy of this statement. 

Played 18 after work and shot 84. After 8 hours of work, I thought this was pretty good. I work in a non a/c hangar crawling around on helicopters at Ft. Campbell, Ky. I really don't know where I found the energy to play 18 after work. I will sleep very good tonight. I am trying out new irons, the G 425, and trying to get used to them.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

On 6/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, Murphy76 said:

3.  These older guys all know what they can, and can-not do.  They play the game based on what they can do.   They don't play by what they hope they could do.

You nailed it. I am 48 and almost every dude I play with in their 20s & 30s has the same problem. They are more concerned with crushing the ball than putting up the best score possible. They want to play like Bryson and DJ, but do not have the recovery or short game skills to ever make that happen.

A couple of weeks ago I played with a father and son and the son actually said I do not care where the ball goes as long as I kill it. Most of them never get much better at the game, but they are a 3 handicap in their minds. The egos I have come across on the golf course is absolutely stunning. Unreal how some of these people hold a job.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, Murphy76 said:

3 hours ago, mark174ace said:

Unreal how some of these people hold a job.

I say this far too many times in a day. My neck is sore by 4pm from shaking my head as I say it.

I did the math once. One standard deviation from the IQ curve pinnacle average (98 points for the US) of 330 million people yields almost 53 million people in the US with an IQ under 85. That is equivalent to the population of the two most populous states, California and Texas, combined.

43% are divorced after 5 years of marriage

49% of the women have children out of wedlock

46% live in poverty

14% have been in prison

48% of mothers on welfare

90% are high school dropouts

And yet, they have cars/trucks and phones.

The only jobs they're suited for may be DMV clerk, golf instructor, Governor, or member of Congress.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I say this far too many times in a day. My neck is sore by 4pm from shaking my head as I say it.

I did the math once. One standard deviation from the IQ curve pinnacle average (98 points for the US) of 330 million people yields almost 53 million people in the US with an IQ under 85. That is equivalent to the population of the two most populous states, California and Texas, combined.

46% live in poverty

14% have been in prison

The only jobs they're suited for may be DMV clerk, golf instructor, Governor, or member of Congress.

I dunno, I can see a couple of good points to being a US Governor.

365400161_MelBrooksgovernor.jpg.f1e96b0f355d70b3a74a4918b419bf08.jpg

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

46% live in poverty

14% have been in prison

George Carlin  Dumb.jpg

• Like 2

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

11 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

46% live in poverty

14% have been in prison

I live in California so I definitely agree with DMV clerk, Governor, or member of Congress.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 4:33 AM, Greenie said:

WTG...Yes it is always fun when us older guys can still hang with the younger guys.

I recently played with a group of 8 get together. There were four of us in our sixties and four younger guns. There are two guys that hit it 280-300. On the first tee it was said that we all had to play the whites. I said really why don't you let us play from the senior tees. Oh no that's not fair one of the young guys replies. So we all played the whites. On the first hole we measured the two best drives. One was 292 and the other was 301. With us older guys the best drive at 220.

I still have a decent fairway woods and hybrid game. I can rely on my chipping and putting most days. In the end the best score was 81 from the 300 yd guy and I came in second with an 84. Two of the older guys were up around 110. 

It was nice hanging with the young guys but I didn't find it as fun playing the wrong tees for me. Most likely if I had of played the seniors tees I probably wouldn't have scored any better but I would have had more fun.

I would have played from the senior tees.  Those young golfers are a bunch of jerks.  There is an advantage hitting the ball 60-80 yards longer and those younger golfers knew that.  Shame on them that they didn't have the decency to play fair in the first place.  I understand if this was tournament play where all golfers in the same flight plays from the same tees but this was a recreational round.  It sounds like the young guns didn't want to be schooled by the older golfers.  Too bad this happened because golf is meant to be fun.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 6/23/2021 at 10:35 PM, mark174ace said:

.... The egos I have come across on the golf course is absolutely stunning. ....

This statement could also apply here on GolfWRX as well.  😄

• Like 3

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on