Getting back into golf….biggest changes since 2008?

VanTheMan0519

I used to be a member back in the Delphi forum days while I was in high school lol

Long story short I went from playing 1-3 times per week from 2008-2010ish to playing 3x total from 2013-2021. Family, kids, job and excuses. 

We moved out of state for a job and joined a course. 

Still repping a 907D2, TM burner 3, Ap2 irons and vokey spin milleds. A SC studio stainless as well. 

I want to upgrade slowly but where has technology gained the most?  Looks like removing long irons in favor of more wedges seems popular. Huge mallet putters have taken over. 

I’ll take it slow but thinking of getting a putter first and seeing how the year plays out and plan for 2022. 

Edited by VanTheMan0519
  • Like 1

I'd start with the long clubs. The tech in drivers, woods, then hybrids to provide better ball speed on missed strikes is the biggest gains.  Go boom boom shopping first. 

Depending on what you like with putters, there are a lot of higher MOI designs out there along with variations of classic designs that have not changed much. You can still spend hundreds on the designer putters or just game a ping answer 2 for $50 and putt the same. You have the scotty covered 🙂 

Lots of good irons out there but I'd get back into the game, see how you are playing, then perhaps find a fitter to see how the irons, weight, shafts etc...work for you before going down that rat hole. 

• Like 1

Start with driver and then wood/hybrid.  Irons and wedges should be more than fine for your current needs unless the shaft is too much for you now in your old man days vs. highschool.

Putter is personal and is more than fine, but more stability is out there if needed.

A Revolving Door

Welcome back, i had the same story, stopped playing in 08 and came back in 2018. The replies so far are pretty accurate in my experience. You will want to start with the driver and 3 wood. One thing thats changed i feel like is you have 7-8 solid choices, because all the brands make really really good stuff now. (Titleist, TM, Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Cobra, PXG, even Tour Edge)  Dont be afraid to grab a year or two old used driver, thats where you can get amazing value. Id then go with new wedges with fresh grooves. Id do irons and putter last, that really hasnt changed much. There is a trend with irons to have very strong lofts, so if you hit  a modern club way past yours just know its likely the stronger lofts doing it, not by some techy magic. 

Welcome back - I took a 15 year hiatus!  Back in the days when I was playing the only fitting I worried about related to my pants.  The biggest technology change I noticed when I started playing again was how advanced fittings have become and the ability to change the loft and lie on woods.  Blew my mind!

As others have said, long ball is the biggest change.  Go hit some new drivers/woods/hybrids and see what you like.  Then spend some time on the BST forum to find some deals.  No sense paying retail unless you have the cash to burn or have to have new.

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

Driver spin is the biggest change, and arguably the biggest impact on scoring 

Irons are likely fine 

new wedges have not really advanced that much but at the same time are the easiest to wear out the grooves. 

Sounds like your set is decent , would spend the money on beer and get out there and play a lot ! 

• Like 1

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

To echo the rest, go get fit for a driver.  Then I'd look at adding a hybrid. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

All the custom options that are available

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, MMT 125 TX

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, MMT 125 TX

TaylorMade MG2 50, 56@55, 60, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

Howdy and welcome back. I was out of the game for many years as well and just got back into it a year ago. I was playing with my old clubs - same driver as you and then Titleist 755s and Titleist Wedges. I started with the Driver and Irons and immediately saw more distance and tighter dispersion. My miss-hits aren't as off as with my older irons and driver. My next upgrade will be wedges because apparently my late 2000's wedges are technically 'illegal' from what I understand. I love my old 3 wood and am also looking to replace the hybrid with a 7wood. I think putter is probably the lowest priority to replace. Just my two cents.

Driver: Srixon ZX7 Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 (15*) Graphite Design Tour AD TSG 75X

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX Utility 2 (18*) Modus3 105 X

Irons: Srixon ZX7 Modus3 105 X (4-PW)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 52, 56, 60 S400

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S Stroke Lab

Looks like removing long irons in favor of more wedges seems popular. Huge mallet putters have taken over. 

I’ll take it slow but thinking of getting a putter first and seeing how the year plays out and plan for 2022. 

I think your plan makes the most sense.

Alignment, MOI, forgiving faces and the cool guys on TV are all strong reasons to try to see if you can improve your baseline. Also you'll be putting as you practice or maybe play 9 holes sometimes.

Since you haven't been playing it'll be harder to know how much difference you're seeing in a driver or any of the play-clubs vs how much of how you're hitting the ball is rust, age etc.

What putters were you thinking of?

Unless the AP2s aren’t working for you, I’ll be very anti-WRX and say keep them. Barring extra distance you would probably take a step back changing from them. IMHO they’re one of the best sets I should never have traded. 

The top end of the bag is worth investing in. The ‘max’ type heads with the exception of the Sim/Sim2 would do 90% of golfers these days for driver. 

Hybrids have come a long way in negating the need for longer irons and there’s enough variation in design to fit your tendencies. 

Putters are weird in that lots like me hate the super MOI designs and you may be the same. I play on lightning greens and only feel comfortable with an Odyssey 1W. 

I agree with a driver, fairway woods,and or hybrids if they are your thing. 

I bought new irons last yr and they are more forgiving on miss hits. If you hit your irons solid they would be the last thing to upgrade IMO.

I like my new irons but still play my old irons too. They are from around 2010. I gamed them a few days ago and hit them as well as my new irons. 

I still use my putter I bought around 2010. 

With the strong lofted irons of today most have more wedges in their bag now. 

If I would get new irons I would do the wedges then to make sure your gaps are covered.

I did the same thing and took an 11 year break from the game. I was playing R9 tp Driver and woods, TM 300 Irons, Vokey SM4 wedges and TM Penta golf balls. I did what most of the people here suggested and upgraded the Driver and woods first, then my irons and now working on upgrading the wedges. 

Driver:  Titleist TSi2 9* Ventus Black 6S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi2 15* Speeder 757 Evo II S

Utility: Titleist T-200 3 Iron Ventus Blue HB 8 S

Irons: Titleist 620CB w/ DGTI X100 4-6

Irons: Titleist 620MB w/ DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50/8F, 56/10S, 60/4T

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+ 34"

Ball: Pro V1

Good golf can be played with the set you have. I'd probably work hard at finding a recent driver you can hit well.  Technology has made the biggest difference there (and what you need for the rest of your set will depend on where you end up after your tee shot😁).  I'd play a bunch of golf before making other decisions. You need to know your game before you can know what you need/want.  

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

On 6/21/2021 at 7:16 AM, VanTheMan0519 said:

I used to be a member back in the Delphi forum days while I was in high school lol

Long story short I went from playing 1-3 times per week from 2008-2010ish to playing 3x total from 2013-2021. Family, kids, job and excuses. 

We moved out of state for a job and joined a course. 

Still repping a 907D2, TM burner 3, Ap2 irons and vokey spin milleds. A SC studio stainless as well. 

I want to upgrade slowly but where has technology gained the most?  Looks like removing long irons in favor of more wedges seems popular. Huge mallet putters have taken over. 

The only thing that has changed in irons is the new materials and the number they choose to put on the bottom, ie the new 4 and 5 irons are the equivalent of the old 3 irons.

The ball is definitely longer, maybe a club with the irons.

As far as woods they seem infinitely adjustable but I started golf in the late 90's and haven't been able to make the transition to the bigger heads, I'm using a 98 Big Bertha that looks like a small fairway wood.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

God damn grooves. 😞

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

22 hours ago, JAMH03 said:

I think your plan makes the most sense.

Alignment, MOI, forgiving faces and the cool guys on TV are all strong reasons to try to see if you can improve your baseline. Also you'll be putting as you practice or maybe play 9 holes sometimes.

Since you haven't been playing it'll be harder to know how much difference you're seeing in a driver or any of the play-clubs vs how much of how you're hitting the ball is rust, age etc.

What putters were you thinking of?

I’ve always played Anser/Newport style. Never tried an alignment aided mallet. I have a putter fitting for Kate July. Gives me 5 weeks or so to get a decent repeatable stroke down for the fitting. 

Plan is to get fitted for driver and putter in late July. That’ll do it for 2021 and slowly work in FW and hybrids as well as irons in the next 14 months or so. 

Honestly I haven’t been a fan of the AP2’s. Eager to move to something more forgiving. But I’m in no hurry. 

• Like 1

Start with driver.  Modern heads tend to be more forgiving on mis hits especially for ball speed and curve.  Next move onto long irons.  Replace with either hybrids or driver irons or be like me and have both in your bag.  You'll thank me later.  The SC you have is perfectly fine, no need to replace it.  I still have my 2008 or 2009 SC Newport and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.  Provided the grooves in your wedges are fine, you can still leave the Vokeys in your bag. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

10 hours ago, chipa said:

The only thing that has changed in irons is the new materials and the number they choose to put on the bottom, ie the new 4 and 5 irons are the equivalent of the old 3 irons.

Irons today have better MOI, more forgiveness on off-center hits, and better weighting especially in the GI/SGI space. Blades - no you're probably not going to see too much of a difference but saying that the only change from now to then is the number associated with the loft simply isn't correct.

That said, my point above (like many others also said) stands - the biggest gains in distance & forgiveness are most likely to come from a new driver & woods. Irons, however, will still be better/more forgiving as well. 

15 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

Plan is to get fitted for driver and putter in late July. That’ll do it for 2021 and slowly work in FW and hybrids as well as irons in the next 14 months or so. 

Honestly I haven’t been a fan of the AP2’s. Eager to move to something more forgiving. But I’m in no hurry. 

Just IMO but I’ve found my new zx7s to be no less forgiving than a few different versions of AP2s which I thought offered enough help but good feedback. Legacy Blacks (so 3 years after 2008) I still think were optimal feel/forgiveness and better than any version of AP2s but man these zx7s are solid. 

On 6/21/2021 at 7:16 AM, VanTheMan0519 said:

If your Studio Stainless is a Newport 2 in decent condition, I'll buy it from you. 🍻

New putters can always be fun, but in terms of sheer numbers, a new driver will make the biggest difference in your game.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange