Could a 4 Handicap beat Bryson on the back 9 at Torrey?

caniac6

You're a 3.  What do you think?  Could you have beaten BAD's back 9 on Sunday?

I'm sure a lot of WRXers have played Torrey Pines.  It is public after all.  It'd be interesting to hear what the single digit caps shot there from the back tees (with no gimmes or mulligans).  Even if it wasn't anywhere near US Open conditions, it might give everyone else a sense of how difficult the course is under normal conditions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webwarmiller said:

I know 4hcps that carry it over 280 and others only about 225.  Relating driving distance to HDCP is about as accurate as relating it to inseam length...

k .. as do i ... i'm giving what i think might be an average ... and there is generally a correlation between distance and hcp, to some degree ... 

Edited by tiderider

9 minutes ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

I'm sure a lot of WRXers have played Torrey Pines.  It is public after all.  It'd be interesting to hear what the single digit caps shot there from the back tees (with no gimmes or mulligans).  Even if it wasn't anywhere near US Open conditions, it might give everyone else a sense of how difficult the course is under normal conditions.

I asked the question tongue-in-cheek. I was just surprised about the huge turn from his front 9. Even without the 8, he still would have would have been 4 over on the back.. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, PJE said:

Well, at least on the snowman hole. Nothing like rifling a shot right over the green. 

DeChambeau is trying analytics and a technical approach to tame the game.  Ultimately, it won't work and I suspect it's the root cause for his oddly timed missteps with shorter irons and touch shots. 

He also seems like an immature and petulant person so maybe that overwhelms him at times ? And then when he's a snit, everything goes haywire?

I think DeChambeau as the most successful golfer who has drawn inspiration from Homer Kelley of Golfing Machine fame. The only other Golfing Machine guy I can think of that was good was Bobby Clampett and Clampett's career melted down after two rounds at Troon. 

Analytics have been used in golf forever but now it has a name(s) and is advertised.  All it is is knowing your tendencies and comparing hat to the shot at hand. Every top player has plotted their way around he course so if that is his downfall all others are doomed as well.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

As a 2.2, 50% chance, par the par 5’s and bogey the others, still swing 110 and straight driving is my thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

2 hours ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

I played the day after the Farmers in 2013. Same tees, same pins. Shot 76 as a tourney +1ish at the time. The course this year played about 1.5 shots tougher for the pros for the Open than it did for the 2013 Farmers.

Without question a 4 index could best Bryson's score. He could also shoot 56.

Remember that Justin Timberlake was a 6.0 index when he shot 98 there in U.S. Open Conditions, so a 4 could certainly shoot 43 or 44 on one of his better nines. The following(?) year he shot in the 80's at Bethpage Black in U.S. Open conditions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

3 minutes ago, Obee said:

Remember that Justin Timberlake was a 6.0 index when he shot 98 there in U.S. Open Conditions, so a 4 could certainly shoot 43 or 44 on one of his better nines. The following(?) year he shot in the 80's at Bethpage Black in U.S. Open conditions.

No mere mortal can be compared with the original JT in anything! 

02C6D052-353D-4E97-859E-DFE4A86D0A2D.jpeg

7 minutes ago, TiScape said:

No mere mortal can be compared with the original JT in anything! 

02C6D052-353D-4E97-859E-DFE4A86D0A2D.jpeg

I've played with the guy. Great dude. "Call me Justin," he says to us when we met him in the bar at my favorite hang in America.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I'm not going to get into could a 4 handicap beat Bryson as I think it was just a funny way of saying it was a meltdown of epic proportions. I was watching when BDC had finished up hole 10 and walked outside to do a few things and hit a few balls. I was thinking that it was very possible for him to win and be a back to back US Open champion, just like BK. How ironic would that be with the stuff going on between them? I came back inside to see a completely changed scoreboard and this was before the quad. The 17th hole was hard to watch. Meltdown city. As far a Louis, he did hit a bad tee shot on 17 but was able to keep his composure and was really close to saving par. A birdie on 18 from the rough, not too shabby. I know a lot of people thought he should have gone for the green, but I think he knew he couldn't get it up there. BDC has his name on the US Open trophy but  Louis does have his name on the Claret Jug. Overall, a great US Open win for Rahm, which he really deserved after the Memorial fiasco. I think we will see Rahm hoist another major trophy before BDC does or even slip on a green jacket. 

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

6 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

A 4 handicap golfer isn't good enough to even enter qualifications.  

The simple answer is why do these ridiculous threads keep coming up?  Maybe it is because many members here have some idealistic view that the courses they play are on par with the courses set up for the the majors, let alone a regular PGA Tour event.  🙄

It's not even the courses played as much as it is inflated golfer ego (and that can either be a powerful and much needed intangible or an absolute train wreck).  No one gives a rats a** if someone says they can beat Bryson or any other pro, male or female, on one of their worst golfing days.  Maybe they could, maybe they couldn't.  The hard, cold truth is the 4 or the 2.4 or the +1 aren't the ones at the dance every week. 

However, it is exceptional entertainment value when enjoying an evening cocktail so keep it coming!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

It's not even the courses played as much as it is inflated golfer ego (and that can either be a powerful and much needed intangible or an absolute train wreck).  No one gives a rats a** if someone says they can beat Bryson or any other pro, male or female, on one of their worst golfing days.  Maybe they could, maybe they couldn't.  The hard, cold truth is the 4 or the 2.4 or the +1 aren't the ones at the dance every week. 

However, it is exceptional entertainment value when enjoying an evening cocktail so keep it coming!

I definitely agree that there are a lot of inflated egos here.  There is a difference playing at the local muni or average club compared to teeing it up with the best players in the world on a weekly basis.  I guarantee you that the courses are not set up like the courses most of the egos here play, even if the course has hosted a tour event or major championship.  The conditions are certainly harder when a big time tournament is put on.  It is what it is.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

11 hours ago, jwb10 said:

Don't delude yourself, we aren't that good, which is why we are watching and not playing....

How in God's name did we go from breaking 46(which the average 4~ wouldn't break 50) at Torrey to beating Bryson????

Beat Bryson????

These guys can't beat @isaacbm or @Obee😂😂😂😂

Seriously, Danno would scalp ya and take every dime that you're willing to put on the table and David and his bag 'o hybrids would humiliate your delusional *sses😂😂😂

Spot on Brotha👊

Stay Well🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

1 hour ago, Obee said:

Love ya, Richard.

However...

Justin Timberlake (currently a 4.3) shot 98 at Torrey as a 6, and 88 at Bethpage as a 4. In U.S. Open Set-ups. He shot 42/46 at Bethpage. He is a quintessential 4. I have played in tournaments with him. 

Yes, it can absolutely happen. 🙂

and of course, a 4 could never, ever beat Bryson in 1,000,000 tries for 18 holes anywhere.

Hey Brotha, I hope that all's well👊

Oh, I absolutely know that it could happen, however I am speaking to the average 4~ and  I would not consider Justin the "average" club 4~ as you know, he has Played many rounds, probably many money games, where he's been "under the gun" with either Big Time Pros in his group, hundreds to thousands in the gallery watching him hit and/or hundreds to thousands of dollars riding on his next putt, so stepping into the box at Torrey, Oakmont, etc., on the same set-up as the Boys Play would not be a shell shock to his system, cuz you know me and and my fixation with the mental side, which most guys who haven't been there done that or been there seen that don't even know about, much less understand just how critical that it is at the competitive level, lolol😉

Most of these guys can't even comprehend following a Tour Boy on the tee box or hitting with 500-1000+ peeps standing on either side of em, or making a 6' putt with $1000-2000 of THEIR own money on the table, and then you're gonna throw in a US Open set-up on top of that😝😜🤪???

Anyhoo, I hope that you're having a nice season and the back is under control and not screamin at you.

All the Best,

Richard 

Edited by Forged4ever

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I fully support any 4 capper thread, good fun

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

4 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

I fully support any 4 capper thread, good fun

But why is it always 4, whats wrong with 2 capper's, sounds like discrimination to me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

Slightly flummoxed at the almost resounding absolutely not brigade.

My view, a 4 handicap could absolutely beat Bryon’s back 9 from Sunday. It is likely, no but every so often we catch lightening in a bottle. Stick a 100 - 4 handicap guys out there. No doubt in my mind at least 1 of them is going round in better than 44. They might play out of their skin to do that but one of them would do it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

3 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

My view, a 4 handicap could absolutely beat Bryon’s back 9 from Sunday. It is likely, no but every so often we catch lightening in a bottle. Stick a 100 - 4 handicap guys out there. No doubt in my mind at least 1 of them is going round in better than 44. They might play out of their skin to do that but one of them would do it.

I think most people understand that. Of course i agree with you, enough people out there someone will do it. You'd have to drive the ball very well, and get a bit lucky with your misses. It's not like EVERY lie you get there is buried. We saw guys miss fairways and get lucky breaks where you could see the ball and make decent contact.

If you hit fairways on most of the par 4's, especially the shorter ones where you could hit an 8 or 9 iron in. Plus you didn't butcher the par 5s. Now you're talking about where you could even make a double with some other bogeys and still do it.

Heck, if you make a birdie all bets are off. I had a 10 footer on #13 playing from the pro tees. On #16 for us that day, it was playing >200yds and i hit it to ~10 feet also, and again missed the putt. It's not like a 4 couldn't do that

I just wouldn't bet on it for an individual guy. The greater likelihood is you'll get 3-4 lies that are horrendous

On #11 i missed the green right, and could barely find the ball. I was maybe 15 feet off the green and had zero chance of getting it on the surface. That's how you end up with doubles and triples very easily

Edited by MtlJeff
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Different level. Here is a reality check. Next time you are out on your course, play your par 5’s as a par 4 and see how you do. I commend Bryson for his length off the tee but Fairways still mean a lot in a US Open. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

2 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Hey Brotha, how goes it👊

As @MtlJeff stated, most know that it can be done, and as I prefaced, while I know that it can be done, I do not believe that the "average club 4~" would get it done. I am not speaking to a sh*ts and giggles round with buds, however say, in a group with you, MtlJeff and @isaacbm, the day/Monday after the tourney concluded, with some money on the table. 

I actually would put $1000 down that the average club 4~ wouldn't break 💯 in that scenario with that group. The only reason that I'm so steadfast in my opinion is that I've Played a couple Mondays/days after at Oakmont in private member sponsored events and not only did legit 4~'s not break 💯, 6-8 legit scratch/2~'S didn't break the magic century mark. Now you could say that a 2~ that couldn't break 💯 on Oakmont from the greens(US Open tees) was not legit, and trust me, no one is harder on what constitutes "legit" than myself, however the two guys that I'm thinkin of have Played in USGA events, broken par in USGA events and also executed shots and putts with $1000+ on the line, so they were legit. 

Madison just texted me and I had forgotten about a guy that Played with us in a charity even the Monday morning after Angel Cabrera(285, +5) had won at Oakmont in 2007, he was a 4+ and he had an 88. I do remember that he kept the ball in the fairway, the driver in the bag, and basically played for bogies, which he practically played to. I'd say there are more than 1 out of 100, more like 10-15, and I'd bet that the majority of those travelled north to a 4~, being former Competitive Am Pluses and Pros, who are capable of turning back the clock in any given round, versus those who have travelled south and 4~ is the lowest that they have ever been.

But just some 4~ from the public links league or a ~4 from some pedestrian club/track or even the average 4~ from my place???

NoFrigginWay Brotha😜!!

I do agree with ya though that there are guys that could/would do it and I actually believe that it would be more than one and I don't even think that they'd have to "play out of their skin," only keeping the ball in the fairway and below the hole😊

Stay Well and have a great summer/season my Friend👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

A 4-cap couldn't beat any pro for 9 holes anywhere. These type of post (and we see them all the time) are really ridiculous. The Golf Pro is so much better at the game than an average low capper it's crazy.

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

56 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

Hey Brotha, how goes it👊

As @MtlJeff stated, most know that it can be done, and as I prefaced, while I know that it can be done, I do not believe that the "average club 4~" would get it done. I am not speaking to a sh*ts and giggles round with buds, however say, in a group with you, MtlJeff and @isaacbm, the day/Monday after the tourney concluded, with some money on the table. 

I actually would put $1000 down that the average club 4~ wouldn't break 💯 in that scenario with that group. The only reason that I'm so steadfast in my opinion is that I've Played a couple Mondays/days after at Oakmont in private member sponsored events and not only did legit 4~'s not break 💯, 6-8 legit scratch/2~'S didn't break the magic century mark. Now you could say that a 2~ that couldn't break 💯 on Oakmont from the greens(US Open tees) was not legit, and trust me, no one is harder on what constitutes "legit" than myself, however the two guys that I'm thinkin of have Played in USGA events, broken par in USGA events and also executed shots and putts with $1000+ on the line, so they were legit. 

Madison just texted me and I had forgotten about a guy that Played with us in a charity even the Monday morning after Angel Cabrera(285, +5) had won at Oakmont in 2007, he was a 4+ and he had an 88. I do remember that he kept the ball in the fairway, the driver in the bag, and basically played for bogies, which he practically played to. I'd say there are more than 1 out of 100, more like 10-15, and I'd bet that the majority of those travelled north to a 4~, being former Competitive Am Pluses and Pros, who are capable of turning back the clock in any given round, versus those who have travelled south and 4~ is the lowest that they have ever been.

But just some 4~ from the public links league or a ~4 from some pedestrian club/track or even the average 4~ from my place???

NoFrigginWay Brotha😜!!

I do agree with ya though that there are guys that could/would do it and I actually believe that it would be more than one and I don't even think that they'd have to "play out of their skin," only keeping the ball in the fairway and below the hole😊

Stay Well and have a great summer/season my Friend👊
RP

Hey Richard! Totally get where you and @MtlJeff are coming from. Just seemed that there were some that were in the absolutely no way, never going to happen corner. As you have both said, it could happen but totally accept that the average is that it wouldn’t.

I suspect that having 43 to aim for could for some be a good thing, whilst for others not so much. With 43 to aim for, those with some streets nous would use the strokes that that gives them rather than blasting driver everywhere…maybe Bryson could pick something up from those types of guy!! 😂

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023