Did anyone else enjoy watching the US Open in the fall last year?

While the finish at TP was awesome, I thought there was something lacking this entire week. Aesthetically there's nothing special about TP. I also thought that Winged Foot in the fall was more aesthetically pleasing then TP. Do you guys think it would be better if the USGA held the US Open in September every once in a while and did a Wednesday-Saturday tournament so that they don't compete with football?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No and I miss pga in august.

No.  It's a terrible idea.  Or is it NIATI?

Right! Cramming all the majors in 4 months seems so rushed.  I think moving the PGA to labor day weekend with a Monday finish would be pretty sweet. That way we would get a late summer/early autumn ma

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

No.  It's a terrible idea.  Or is it NIATI?

TY...IMWTF? TCBTFWTC?  

• Haha 1

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

11 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

US Open (always) on Fathers Day weekend and PGA in August or even Sept. Major season way too short this year. 

I'd like that as well.  

Masters: ends of 2nd Sunday of April

US Open: Ends on fathers day

Open Championship: July as always

PGA:  Move it to mid-September and have a Saturday finish. 

Just as others have said, U.S. Open should stay on Fathers Day weekend.  Regarding a September date with a Saturday finish because of the NFL, there are many people who are die-hard college football fans.  So there would be competition in viewership for those events.

As far as Torrey Pines goes it was good but I prefer to watch tournaments on tree-lined courses.

5 minutes ago, smashdn said:

I came here to say just that.  Glad the first response got it taken care of.

I like a hot, muggy mid-west power golf event for the PGA.

Jay Monahan has done some good things IMO (bringing 2 PGA Tour tournaments to the Midwest , putting together a schedule in 2020 after COVID, etc.) But he should've pressed more to keep the PGA towards the end of the summer. I personally hate the fact that Whistling Straits won't be able to host a May PGA Championship while Valhalla will host more regularly.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, orr444 said:

It was a nice end of summer type major. Now they are all done in 3 weeks. I find the playoffs go hum

Right! Cramming all the majors in 4 months seems so rushed.  I think moving the PGA to labor day weekend with a Monday finish would be pretty sweet. That way we would get a late summer/early autumn major, and it would spread out the 4 majors. I think all 4 majors are played within 100 days and that's just stupid IMO.

• Like 2

I will say that I enjoyed it.

Being a Brit, American Football is just not a consideration. Evening TV viewing, seeing some fall colours coming into play round a classic tree lined US Open course - what was there not to love?! 

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

I did like it but I like the tradition of Father's Day better.  Not to mention there are logistical issues with the size of the field that playing around the longest days of the year is beneficial especially if there's weather.

I liked the move out of August for the PGA because of weather issues which I think are better in May.  I don't hate the idea September but that's never going to happen with the behemoth of NFL and college football here in the US.  I do think given the options May is the best; it opens up southern courses although as someone else mentioned potentially hurts sites like Whistling straights.

I miss the old format.  Masters - April, US Open - June,  Open - July, PGA - August.  I do like the Players in March and I would just stick a WGC event in May for a little more intrigue than your general tour stop.  I just think it brings a better flow to the season.  You have your early western swing which has interesting tournaments like Pebble, Genesis, and Farmers because of the venue and then you ramp it up with the Players followed by the Masters and then slow it down again to build it right back up into 3 more majors followed by the FedEx cup playoffs.  I will be honest, after the Open this year I'm pretty much tuned out for a month until playoffs.  I have no interest at all in Olympic golf.  

Stuff like this - if there were an obvious solution, there would be no issue. US Open is not really the issue, the issue is PGA champs. August IS a better date as far as a over-the-year balance for Majors is concerned. It's way too compressed now. Everything happening btw april and july. But then you have the uncanny but unavoidable US interest for American Rugby, that really sets an end date for the golf season. in the US. And the thing before the schedule reshuffling was that August was jammed with big tournaments, especially the RC years, and the Olympics did not make it better.

One rather radical solution that could give a little lee room in the schedule would be to schedule the Open Championship to about the time when the Dunhill Links is played. Brits and Europeans aint that fascinated by QB´s being sacked, so maybe a major in September could be feasible.  That would give time for adding some space between the majors and make the tournament season longer. 

Edited by Hankshank

way too many BIG events compressed into the season which makes events like this weeks Travelers a joke...every event other than the 4 majors and the Players cant be a WGC event..

IMO what they should do is take a look at the Top 4-6 pros and see what tournaments they schedule their world around and use that as a model so the best players are peaking for the best events

On 6/22/2021 at 6:26 AM, KRAMER1997 said:

Jay Monahan has done some good things IMO (bringing 2 PGA Tour tournaments to the Midwest , putting together a schedule in 2020 after COVID, etc.) But he should've pressed more to keep the PGA towards the end of the summer. I personally hate the fact that Whistling Straits won't be able to host a May PGA Championship while Valhalla will host more regularly.

Monahan pushed for moving the PGA from August to May because the PGA Tour owns the FedEx Cup Playofffs.

The PGA Championship is owned by the PGA of America.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

The fall US Open was a fun, one time only sort of thing for me. My weekends in the fall are reserved for football (both college and the NFL).

Not to mention if they moved it to the fall they'd have to rearrange or somehow squeeze it in alongside the Tour Championship in early September and the Ryder Cup / President's Cup in late September. And then how do you do the FedEx Cup? Count the US Open for the following year's, have the US Open be the final event, or move the Tour Championship to sometime in October?

As a few others have said, I'd prefer they go back to the old schedule:

Players - March (I'm honestly fine with May also)

Masters - April

US Open - June (Father's Day finish is the best)

British - July

PGA - August

10 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Monahan pushed for moving the PGA from August to May because the PGA Tour owns the FedEx Cup Playofffs.

The PGA Championship is owned by the PGA of America.

I know that, but the "PGA Tour" had to rearrange the entire schedule because of this. I'm sure the PGA Tour was told about the move to May prior to the announcement. 

27 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

way too many BIG events compressed into the season which makes events like this weeks Travelers a joke...every event other than the 4 majors and the Players cant be a WGC event..

IMO what they should do is take a look at the Top 4-6 pros and see what tournaments they schedule their world around and use that as a model so the best players are peaking for the best events

I agree with everything you said except for the fact that the Travelers is a joke. For some odd reason, the Travelers always attracts a pretty solid field (probably because it's not that hard of a course). This week they've got 4 players from the top 10 (Dustin, Brooks, Bryson, and Reed) as well Phil who's the PGA Champion. The SOF is also 464 which is higher then events like the Arnold Palmer Invitational, and the Farmers Insurance Open.  So all in all it's a pretty solid event.

50 minutes ago, KRAMER1997 said:

I know that, but the "PGA Tour" had to rearrange the entire schedule because of this. I'm sure the PGA Tour was told about the move to May prior to the announcement. 

The PGA Tour strong armed the PGA of America into moving the PGA Championship from August to May. The PGA Tour dictated the move.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter