2021 KPMG Women's PGA Championship (Jun 24 - 27)

8 minutes ago, postfold said:

Nelly the person is kinda boring to watch but her game more than makes up for it.  Watch that swing and wish that you were 22, strong and flexible so you could copy it.

Ya...that 2nd shot into the par 5 on the back 9 was SCARY but GOOD....I think her Whoop JUMPED  to 200.🤣

Nice 2 eagles today.

25 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

What's your end of 2025 over/under for her?  15 wins and 3 majors?  I have no idea but wondering if someone will get closer to Yanni/Inbee vs. the pack stuck at 2 majors (and varying number of wins).

I know you're my true friend when you put me on the spot.

Jin Young Ko in 2019 had the best year since Inbee's 2013 when she won four tournaments including two Majors.  Jin Young started her professional career in 2013, so 2019 was her seventh professional season.

Nelly started Symetra Tour in 2016, so this is her sixth season; she needs to win one more Major to match Jin Young's 2019.

I think it's only fair if wait to see if Nelly could match or exceed Jin Young's 2019 before we start to deliberate her potential win total before end of 2025.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

Am I wrong?

Don't forget, she's #25 on 2020 official money list as an 18/19 years old; much better than Nelly did in 2017.

As far as this season, there're still many tournaments to go.

Melissa Mccarthy Fight GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

8 minutes ago, 18majors said:

I know you're my true friend when you put me on the spot.

Jin Young Ko in 2019 had the best year since Inbee's 2013 when she won four tournaments including two Majors.  Jin Young started her professional career in 2013, so 2019 was her seventh professional season.

Nelly started Symetra Tour in 2016, so this is her sixth season; she needs to win one more Major to match Jin Young's 2019.

I think it's only fair if wait to see if Nelly could match or exceed Jin Young's 2019 before we start to deliberate her potential win total before end of 2025.

Many apologies, many apologies.  I never really think some player is set to go on a tear once they've accomplished whatever because you never know.  Let's see if she can do better than Lexi / Brooke in the subsequent 4+ years after major win #1 (I think they are all in the same ballpark of talent/potential).  Of course, Lexi / Brooke are not done yet and they could be viewed a lot differently over the next handful of years.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, postfold said:

The American Princess has her crown!  What a magnificent display of golf.  Too bad we only got to see so much of it.

Nelly the person is kinda boring to watch but her game more than makes up for it.  Watch that swing and wish that you were 22, strong and flexible so you could copy it.

And when you follow her in person the sound of the ball leaving her club is awesome.

very glad to see member of Team Jelly win a Major.....nice to see a couple of Americans at the tope of the leaderboard who didnt wilt or collapse on Sunday...my only criticism is that a Major won at -19 doesnt speak well for a course set up..had Nelly not gone real low with the 62,  Salas might have run  away and hid from the field, she putted lights out all week....

American golf needs a Champion of its own, dont know if Nelly is going to be able to fill that void but we will see...I did like seeing US flags at the top of the leaderboard

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

very glad to see member of Team Jelly win a Major.....nice to see a couple of Americans at the tope of the leaderboard who didnt wilt or collapse on Sunday...my only criticism is that a Major won at -19 doesnt speak well for a course set up..had Nelly not gone real low with the 62,  Salas might have run  away and hid from the field,

Nelly didn't shoot a 62. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

..my only criticism is that a Major won at -19 doesnt speak well for a course set up..

The PGA of America really blew it.

The course was defenseless because of rain and it was soft landing into the greens on approach shots and no rough.....was the PoA not capable to mandate to the membership how to take control of course conditions leading up to the event?...e.g.) length of rough and width of FW's?

Were conditions poor in Atlanta to grow the rough?

The USGA is typically at a venue years in advance.....especially for a USO.

They should have played the course much longer to keep the scores down.

Driveable par 4's w/o issues near the greens...WTH.

And the 18th should have been a long par 4....420-435...with a deadly pin position.

Ya she had a 3 stroke lead...but how lame for Nelly.....hybrid, GW and PW (really a GW length) for a par 5 finishing hole in a major...WTH.

• Like 4

To me, the scores are too low and they aren't at the same time.  The winning score is definitely very low, and I think when you have four par 5s and a driveable par 4 (Nelly hit a 7W --> Par 3), the course is going to give up shots to "par."

But excluding Lizette and Nelly, it would have been a respectable number.  The separation wasn't quite Stenson-Phil at the 2016 Open but it wasn't that far off either.  I'd give Lizette and Nelly credit for playing four very solid rounds, regardless of what "par" may have been.

The course definitely had trouble out there, and I think 18 should have been a beast of a  par 4 but it is what it is.  Still, is quite interesting how different the top two players are (game wise).  Pre-tourney I had a hunch the long/relatively accurate drivers (Nelly, Lexi, Brooke) may have an advantage this week, as all players at this level can really attack soft greens (maybe putting or missing GIRs becomes less of an issue).  I hated going with Nelly back-to-back or the Lexi rebound from USWO call though so kept quiet.  Regardless, beyond the top two players I'd say the board itself was a mixed bag (HJK is not a long hitter, Patty is) so who knows (not proclaiming to be right here).  At the end of the day it's often a few loose shots you get away with or the handful of bomb putts/crazy saves that can really make a difference when running up the score.  The history books only remember the outcome...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KBong said:

If you want a shirt, hat, a pass for you and a guest and free shift food...then go for it.

If not....buy a weekly pass....maybe check out Craigslist a week before for a pass from someone who needs to dump it.

I registered to be a walking scorer last night before I saw your post. 😞 My understanding is it's the most sought after position and they draw for it, so I might get a different crappy job. I don't like the idea of paying to be a volunteer, but the chance to walk inside the ropes with the players would be worth the price of admission.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

If they could have played the back nine twice we'd have really had a major. The median score of the player's who made the cut was +2. That's not bad. A quick spot check shows numerous doubles or worse. Now, there were 32 players under par. In 2020 there were only 8 players under par.  There were 20 in '19, 27 in '18, and 35 in '17. The KPMG is no USWO.

OK, so were do we find all the new stats? I want to know total putts made, and proximity to the hole. Nelly hit 61 greens and averaged 30 putts. She sure seemed to be making quite a few medium length ones, and a couple of longer ones. Lizette averaged 28 putts on 59 greens.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

8 minutes ago, Yellow Jacket said:

I registered to be a walking scorer last night before I saw your post. 😞 My understanding is it's the most sought after position and they draw for it, so I might get a different crappy job. I don't like the idea of paying to be a volunteer, but the chance to walk inside the ropes with the players would be worth the price of admission.

Which is basically why they charge. I imagine you'd have hundreds if not thousands of folks lining up to walk inside the ropes with the players.

I may be mistaken, but the money collected does go into the pot for charity.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

4 hours ago, KBong said:

The PGA of America really blew it.

The course was defenseless because of rain and it was soft landing into the greens on approach shots and no rough.....was the PoA not capable to mandate to the membership how to take control of course conditions leading up to the event?...e.g.) length of rough and width of FW's?

Were conditions poor in Atlanta to grow the rough?

The USGA is typically at a venue years in advance.....especially for a USO.

They should have played the course much longer to keep the scores down.

Driveable par 4's w/o issues near the greens...WTH.

And the 18th should have been a long par 4....420-435...with a deadly pin position.

Ya she had a 3 stroke lead...but how lame for Nelly.....hybrid, GW and PW (really a GW length) for a par 5 finishing hole in a major...WTH.

This was the 4th winning score of -19 in 12 years. 'Not exactly a rare feat.

BTW, nice avatar. Lol.

• Haha 1

Nelly just notched her 8th top 10 in 11 starts. That's an impressive season I'd say. Three wins, 2T, 3rd, 3T, and a pair of 10Ts. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Nelly just notched her 8th top 10 in 11 starts. That's an impressive season I'd say. Three wins, 2T, 3rd, 3T, and a pair of 10Ts. 

I could not have been more pleased that Nelly won.  She didn't just win, she was dominant to go back-to-back.  I think the whole "best sister act" thread can be put to rest now.

P.S. Most of us played a 7 wood before it was cool!  LOL

Edited by tbowles411
  • Like 2

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Which is basically why they charge. I imagine you'd have hundreds if not thousands of folks lining up to walk inside the ropes with the players.

I may be mistaken, but the money collected does go into the pot for charity.

I'll be a walking scorer in a couple weeks at the Marathon Classic. We pay $60. I've been on this committee for decades (starting at Firestone w/PGA) and many changes have occurred, including now one must be INVITED to be on it. We usually get several days passes, not sure about this year. Plus, as it can be considered charitable volunteer work, we write it off as such including at least a portion of the mileage/accommodations. 

Congrats Nelly! As I worked the Women's PGA last year at Aronimink, I recall she withdrew w/back issues in a MUCH cooler environment. Me thinks the weather in Atlanta was to her benefit in winning this one. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, agolf1 said:

To me, the scores are too low and they aren't at the same time.  The winning score is definitely very low, and I think when you have four par 5s and a driveable par 4 (Nelly hit a 7W --> Par 3), the course is going to give up shots to "par."

But for Nelly and Lizette, scores were pretty reasonable.  The top two were just that good.  Personally I would have set up the course differently, but I'm not sure that adding distance would have made that much of a difference, since Nelly hits it as far as anyone. 

2 hours ago, Yellow Jacket said:

I would think the experience is definitely worth the cost and there is value to the perks that come along with volunteering, whether it's a grounds pass, parking, a nice shirt, whatever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KBong said:

During a slow practice rd...Grace Park asked if she could sit in the cart while waiting for the tee block to clear. We chatted for a while...she was so charming and nice.

@KBongLucky guy... would your view on the volunteer role have changed, if it hadn’t been one of your favourite players asking to sit in your cart? 😬🤔 (eg Crusty 🐌 🤡 instead of Grace Park) 

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

@KBongLucky guy... would your view on the volunteer role have changed, if it hadn’t been one of your favourite players asking to sit in your cart? 😬🤔 (eg Crusty 🐌🤡 instead of Grace Park) 

LOL.

I would have lied and told Kerr I was called over to another hole and left.🤣

Have you watched Grace play golf?

I think Dave Brooker (JYK's current loop) was on Grace's bag that week.

Lorena was using a loop (Tom???) who used to caddie for Nancy Lopez.

It's a shame a bad back cut short Grace's career.

Grace should replace Judy in the booth...I doubt it would ever happen.

FWIW...Grace's family owns a very successful and popular Korean BBQ restaurant in Seoul...but supposedly a bit of a tourist trap.

IMO....Korean BBQ is kinda expensive.

KTown is only a par 5 west of Vancouver Golf Club....host venue in 1991, 2012 & 2015...VGC members voted against hosting the CWO for 2020.

There's a really well priced restaurant in KTown that has really great Gimbap...and serve this delicious complementary beef broth instead of tea.

Banchan are small complementary side dishes that arrive early before the meal is served at most Korean restaurants.

H-Mart is also a good Korean grocery store chain.

Edited by KBong
  • Like 1