2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2021 KPMG Women's PGA Championship (Jun 24 - 27)

45 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Tough call this week. A handful of players are on hot streaks heading into the tournament, but a number play the majors solidly. 

I'm going with Nasa this week. She finished T3 last year, and T2 in 2018. She also finished 2nd at the USWO. 

Nasa is a solid pick ... she has been playing well.   Back at the USWO, i could not figure out who this player was ... until I realized she has grown her hair out!   I have never associated a ponytail with Nasa!  

39 minutes ago, 18majors said:

My question, "Will it be real time like what's provided on PGAtour.com?"

Can the leaderboard on lpga.com can handle the extra data demand?

No, it won't be real time and it's kind of elementary.

KPMG: New analytics platform to help narrow divide between men's, women's game

"The KPMG program will be similar to what’s on the European Tour, with caddies recording shots, club selections and the lie of every shot. They’ll turn in a special scorecard after every round and get paid a stipend for the efforts. KPMG is covering that, too."

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, 18majors said:

"The KPMG program will be similar to what’s on the European Tour, with caddies recording shots, club selections and the lie of every shot. They’ll turn in a special scorecard after every round and get paid a stipend for the efforts. KPMG is covering that, too."

Elementary?  Really?  Going from nonexistent to this new data system is miles better.  No?

13 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Elementary?  Really?  Going from nonexistent to this new data system is miles better.  No?

Yes, it's better than nothing.

But, I've already got what I needed based on the stats provided at Online Media Center.  For sure, this will provide additional details, but it's just icing on the cake.

I'll wait for the new commissioner to provide us the real time "Shot Tracker."

Edited by 18majors

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

The info will be better than the current situation

BUT

I see many issues.

Here are some I can think of:

1) The lower end and journeymen/women loops will be kinda happy to do this because they'll want any add'l money....but I can't see some of the loops carrying premier pro's bags too happy fumbling around with a new device or app on their phones to collect data vs, concentrating on their REAL TASK at hand ......SUPPORTING their pro.

2) Some of these loops are old...can one imagine looping in the heat in Vegas and Texas and having to do more mental thinking/tasks when you're lugging a 60 lbs bag in heat indexes of 100*F+.

3) Not all loops are F/T...some are a "one & done" local loop....so what are the implications to them or even the F/T loops .....to PROPERLY record the info required vs, just airmailing that info....KPMG can't fire the loops....they are not employees of KPMG.

4) What happens if a loops refuses to keep track of the data?...what are the consequences?....can the LPGA or KPMG stop them from looping?

5) It's bad enough that the typical LPGA rds are 5+ hrs long......can you imagine after Brooke and Brittany chat for 2+ minutes....that Brittany needs to spend an additional 30+ seconds required for each shot to input the data corectly.

6) The add'l staff and resources to train all the new loops on a weekly basis unfamiliar with the process.

7) What happens when it rains.....the loops have a hard enough time keeping the clubs and their pro dry....never mind having to stand in the rain inputting all this data.

8 ) I only eyeballed the amount paid to the loops.

I'm guessing the stipend per rd is $200???

If it's $100....would the top loops really want to do this?

At $200/rd......with 23 full field events at 144 players and 1/2 making the cut and 7 limited field events with say 72 players.....I'm getting an annual pay out of approx $2.4M....never mind the back end staff also managing the process.

Obviously if it's $100/rd = $1.2M

Is this a lot of money???....I don't know or if it generates a +ve ROI.....though I suspect ROI on this project is not high in KPMG's books.

9) What about all the processing and vetting required to process all the $200 transactions within the $2.4M cost.

Edited by KBong

Some highlights on the KPMG Data Insights Program.

It is starting this week at AAC.

"The statistical insights will also be represented within the LPGA’s media landscape through in-broadcast integration and features, a robust digital and social presence, and deeper insights for media coverage and storytelling for the LPGA"

So the data will be available in real time during the broadcast . . . now, I don't know if there will be a delay in the contemporary data being available or if they will be relying on the data from the previous day.

Also from their FAQ:

1.  How will the data be collected? Is it a laser-based or GPS system?

• Data collection is a manual process primarily utilizing the caddies and players, in addition to back-end API feeds with live scoring. The collection and analyzing process includes:
• Manual data collection with caddies / players (incl. club selection, distance and resulting lie per shot)
Collaborated staffing program with the LPGA at all events
• Data entry, management and analysis by KPMG Insights team and 3rd party vendor technology platform
• KPMG will provide all Players access to statistical reports and a personalized on-line platform, and provide enhanced stats and performance insights for media usage in coverage, broadcast, social media, etc.
• Weekly and daily by round intelligence packets to be provided and distributed to key stakeholders
KPMG and LPGA to work in partnership with Golf Channel to feed data for integration into the weekly LPGA tournament broadcasts to enhance storytelling
• LPGA to integrate into their newly created media hub database to provide the media with more informed insights when covering their events

So, it seems that the player's caddies will be required to collect the data regardless or they won't be granted privileges to be behind the ropes with the players.  Now it wasn't specifically mentioned, but it does seem that the players are behind it and support it.

KPMG is footing the bill for the extra staffing required at each event.  

More details will start to surface as the system is implemented.  

• Like 1

Hmmm. 144 caddies, some of them fill-ins, or a few dozen dedicated staff? Not sure how many crew are needed for ShotLink, but you have to figure at least 2 per hole. Also, are those workers on the course on Thursday at 7 am for the first groups out, working through the late afternoon wave? That's a long day. I'm guessing they use two shifts, and therefore double the number of people. 

Data errors are likely with either approach. Hopefully they'll have a few sets of eyes reviewing the data for obvious errors. 

I was chatting with a walking scorer last week. He said that in addition to keeping score, he also noted fairways hit/missed, and greens hit. I imagine a well designed app could be fairly easy to use by a caddie. Ideally it would be integrated with a GPS, so a simple tap to register ball location (distance to pin) , a 2nd tap to select tee/fairway/rough/bunker/green, and a 3rd tap to select club. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

1) So, it seems that the player's caddies will be required to collect the data regardless or they won't be granted privileges to be behind the ropes with the players. 

2) Now it wasn't specifically mentioned, but it does seem that the players are behind it and support it.

1) Gotta believe there's an update in some caddie code of conduct to reinforce this.

2) You're assuming...so far...the only one (although there could be other articles) who have publicly stated support of the program,  has been Stacy Lewis.

Edited by KBong

5 hours ago, Cwebb said:

I'm not superstitious, so she will be OK 😉

Fair enough

BUT

If six BIG Asian (Korean) guys in dark suits, sunglasses and yellow/white baseball caps show up at your front door on Fri evening because of a Dumbo trunk slam...please make sure your family is locked away in the basement and expect to go for a little ride out to the countryside.

The Flying Dumbo's may seem meek and mild.....but they mean BUSINESS.

You've been WARNED.🤣

2 hours ago, KBong said:

Fair enough

BUT

If six BIG Asian (Korean) guys in dark suits, sunglasses and yellow/white baseball caps show up at your front door on Fri evening because of a Dumbo trunk slam...please make sure your family is locked away in the basement and expect to go for a little ride out to the countryside.

The Flying Dumbo's may seem meek and mild.....but they mean BUSINESS.

You've been WARNED.🤣

@KBong
🤷‍♂️Wouldn't the Flying dumbo's be wearing Dumbo hats (instead of ordinary baseball caps)

Albeit i like InGee's smiling 'minder'/ 🤵♂️bodyguard in this recent photo 🙂 
@Argonne69

🤦‍♂️..p/s: Edit: I belatedly noticed the grey & yellow "Flying Dumbos" baseball caps
(in the background of @Argonne69's photo avatar)

image.png.1c41567d0d18142ff5ac395df39a7447.pngimage.png.6256fb378da2b2de59240c2e8aa8c4ab.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@KBong
Wouldn't the Flying dumbo's be wearing Dumbo hats (instead of ordinary baseball caps)

Yes....I should have said Flying Dumbo hats instead of yellow/white baseball caps.

As per this video...there are yellow/white Flying Dumbo hats and also yellow Flying Dumbo hats.

In Gee's fan club is around 8000-10000 members...they are mostly guys...but in this video you can see some young "Flying Dumbo's IN-TRAINING" children.

As a FYI....Namdalla has a larger fan club with fans from many countries....but Sung Hyun Park's fans are mainly women....nicknamed The Attack Girls.

I've met and chatted with four Flying Dumbo's at the 2016 KPMG.....3 flew in from S. Korea....the other from San Diego.

I've yet to meet an Attack Girl....I was hoping to meet one at the 2020 & 2021 CWO....but they have both been cancelled.

And the way Namdalla has been CHOKING it up lately...there maybe no Attack Girls willing to fly in from S. Korea for the 2023 CWO. 

The Koreans are NUTBALLS when it comes to golf and women's golf.

You'd never see The Pink Diva or Wie West greeted like this when they flew home to Florida at the airport.

Heck....years ago at a Swing Skirt event (prior to being co-sanctioned with the LPGA) in Taiwan....there were many fans and the media to greet the LPGA pros arriving at the airport....heck...there was a custom Pink Panther logo'd huge black Mercedes to pick up Paula.

At many courses here there are so many male and female Korean golfers...you'd think you are golfing in Seoul.

There are approx 50000-80000 Korean residents here and 400000+ Chinese residents...if these numbers were reversed....I can't imagine how expensive green fees would be here....it's bad enough with the pandemic golf prices nowadays with all things golf related.

Edited by KBong
  • Like 1

@JungleJimbo

Here's another video of Dumbo's greeting at the airport.

At 1:40....the man in the suit.....he flew in from S. Korea to the 2016 KPMG....I chatted with him and 3 other Flying Dumbo's.....this guy had a Flying Dumbo hat and flag.

He was SO FUNNY.

This guy chatted non-stop for 15 minutes with me in Korean....I had no clue what he was saying...the Flying Dumbo from San Diego was acting as an interpreter.

If you ever get a chance to chat with a Flying Dumbo...especially ones from S. Korea...do so.....they are so funny.

I never knew there were Caucasian Flying Dumbo's until Arg caught one sitting on the grass in his Meijer pictures.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Albeit i like InGee's smiling 'minder'/ bodyguard in this recent photo 🙂 
@Argonne69

image.png.1c41567d0d18142ff5ac395df39a7447.pngimage.png.6256fb378da2b2de59240c2e8aa8c4ab.png

LMAO

I'd classify Arg as a Dumbo FANBOY vs. a Dumbo bodyguard.🤣

Arg is also a HUGE Hee Young Park fanboy....but then again so am I.

Kinda surprised Arg hasn't made a Rocket head piece to fanboy her.

FWIW.

I became a HYP fanboy in 2013 from the Portland event....never really paid any attention to her prior.

One morning, I was at the range checking out the action....I had no clue who I was going to watch play that day.

I was standing by the fence....HYP comes walking right by the fence...smiled at me and said hi.....so I decided to go watch her play and found out how nice and friendly she was to the fans during her rd.

• Like 3

I normally don't watch the interviews...but the Tues pressers from JYK, Inbee and Kang were good.

All 3 are excited to go to the Olympics...they were all too politically correct to criticize some of the PGA pros for not wanting to head to Tokyo.....Kang and Inbee had good replies.

Inbee is so boring playing golf...so her fan base is minimal....but she provides good interviews...honest and to the point.

I'm not a Kang fanboy....but I do like some of her interviews as she has no filter.

As per the below video.

I too would seek out Butch as an instructor if I was a golf pro.

I appreciate how Kang wants green books banned on the LPGA tour and how she and Inbee are neutral or against the use of rangefinders and how it won't speed up play.

Man Bun told Kang he won't employ a range finder unless Kang requests him to do so.

Kang then states how she a traditionalist....then self deprecates herself that she wears joggers and hoodies....lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KBong said:

LMAO

I'd classify Arg as a Dumbo FANBOY vs. a Dumbo bodyguard.🤣

Arg is also a HUGE Hee Young Park fanboy....but then again so am I.

Kinda surprised Arg hasn't made a Rocket head piece to fanboy her.

FWIW.

I became a HYP fanboy in 2013 from the Portland event....never really paid any attention to her prior.

One morning, I was at the range checking out the action....I had no clue who I was going to watch play that day.

I was standing by the fence....HYP comes walking right by the fence...smiled at me and said hi.....so I decided to go watch her play and found out how nice and friendly she was to the fans during her rd.

Only 6 wins combined, but In Gee and HYP have two of the better swings on tour.  If they are playing (the few tournaments I can go to), I try to watch each play 9 or so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KBong said:

Yes....I should have said Flying Dumbo hats instead of yellow/white baseball caps.

As per this video...there are yellow/white Flying Dumbo hats and also yellow Flying Dumbo hats.

In Gee's fan club is around 8000-10000 members...they are mostly guys...but in this video you can see some young "Flying Dumbo's IN-TRAINING" children.

As a FYI....Namdalla has a larger fan club with fans from many countries....but Sung Hyun Park's fans are mainly women....nicknamed The Attack Girls.

I've met and chatted with four Flying Dumbo's at the 2016 KPMG.....3 flew in from S. Korea....the other from San Diego.

I've yet to meet an Attack Girl....I was hoping to meet one at the 2020 & 2021 CWO....but they have both been cancelled.

And the way Namdalla has been CHOKING it up lately...there maybe no Attack Girls willing to fly in from S. Korea for the 2023 CWO. 

The Koreans are NUTBALLS when it comes to golf and women's golf.

You'd never see The Pink Diva or Wie West greeted like this when they flew home to Florida at the airport.

Heck....years ago at a Swing Skirt event (prior to being co-sanctioned with the LPGA) in Taiwan....there were many fans and the media to greet the LPGA pros arriving at the airport....heck...there was a custom Pink Panther logo'd huge black Mercedes to pick up Paula.

At many courses here there are so many male and female Korean golfers...you'd think you are golfing in Seoul.

There are approx 50000-80000 Korean residents here and 400000+ Chinese residents...if these numbers were reversed....I can't imagine how expensive green fees would be here....it's bad enough with the pandemic golf prices nowadays with all things golf related.

Most of the U.S. Flying Dumbos have Grey hats w/ yellow bills.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

5 hours ago, KBong said:

I normally don't watch the interviews...but the Tues pressers from JYK, Inbee and Kang were good.

All 3 are excited to go to the Olympics...they were all too politically correct to criticize some of the PGA pros for not wanting to head to Tokyo.....Kang and Inbee had good replies.

Inbee is so boring playing golf...so her fan base is minimal....but she provides good interviews...honest and to the point.

I'm not a Kang fanboy....but I do like some of her interviews as she has no filter.

As per the below video.

I too would seek out Butch as an instructor if I was a golf pro.

I appreciate how Kang wants green books banned on the LPGA tour and how she and Inbee are neutral or against the use of rangefinders and how it won't speed up play.

Man Bun told Kang he won't employ a range finder unless Kang requests him to do so.

Kang then states how she a traditionalist....then self deprecates herself that she wears joggers and hoodies....lol.

Lol. Danielle certainly has a filter. Imagine what her interviews would be like if it was turned off?!

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lmqf22wqqpibxy6/dk-hana4s.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KBong said:

I've never been much of a SHP fan but I think I am going to have to pull for a return to form for her just so KBong can meet an Attack Girl.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, postfold said:

I've never been much of a SHP fan but I think I am going to have to pull for a return to form for her just so KBong can meet an Attack Girl.

I met a few Attack Girls at the 2018 KPMG. Very quiet until they're around SHP. Lol. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lobby said:

I'm picking Maria Fassi to win.

:hide

Maybe someday but not this week. I don't hate Maria but I am not a fan because her fans are obnoxious and she seems to buy into all the hype. Her fans have her believing she is a lot better than she is. Her fans tell her on instagram she is going to win soon, Maybe they've confused making the cut for winning? They drool over the distance of her drives but they mean nothing when they end up in the rough more than 1/2 the time. Her 2 claims to fame are that she led the ANWA before she semi-choked and she was an NCAA Champion but so were Susan Slaughter, Page Dunlap and Kristel Mourgue d'Algue. She is probably the least accomplished athlete sponsored by Rolex and AT&T bought into the hype by sponsoring her. As someone said a while back, maybe BJ Wie negotiated her sponsorships.The LPGA wrote an article about her win on the WAPT like if she'd won a high level event. In fact, winning on the Symetra, LET, Korean Tour, Japanese Tour or even the LAGT would have been more significant. Of course I have never won a pro event but I am not a pro golfer. There is nothing that I'd love more than to have 2 Mexicans having some decent results on the LPGA but making a cut this week would definitely be considered a win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1