• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The PGASS offers a few different fittings ranging from free to paid studio quality.   The free fittings are basically demos where a floor employee will grab clubs for you to try. You get to

Keep in mind that big box store employees are not (usually) fitting experts. They are more or less just retail workers who happen to have a job at a golf store. Therefore, those fittings are very hit

I have been fit at club champion and at PGATSS. It all depends on who the fitter is. My fitting at PGATSS was far superior to CC. However, the person fitting me was much more qualified and experienced

If you have the opportunity to try different shafts with the Titleist head of your choice, do that first. At the very least you'll have an idea of stiffness/ weight and if you want an extension or not. When you're trying different heads, you can adjust accordingly. 

In my experience the PGA monitors are a bit juiced so take it with a grain of salt, but then again, maybe I'm just indoorBryson 🤣

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS Tour | Epic Flash 3h w/ Tensei Silver

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Center Shaft

Upgraded to the #ThreePuttPrince. 👑

Keep in mind that big box store employees are not (usually) fitting experts. They are more or less just retail workers who happen to have a job at a golf store. Therefore, those fittings are very hit or miss. You might end up in a place with a huge selection and a very knowledgeable employee, or you might end up with very limited options and someone who has no idea what they are doing. 

You're best option would be to try and find someone who specializes in teaching and fittings. Most medium-large metro areas should have people that do this, and they are more often than not located at area golf courses. A simple google search should show turn them up in the results, and then you can call and get pricing, selection, available dates, etc... 

• Like 2

I would think of your time at the PGA Store as more of a demo session than a fitting. You're not likely to get detailed look into a bunch of shafts and whatnot. There's a high chance a store employee will just grab various 7 irons off the rack with stock stiff shafts and have you swing away. There's nothing necessarily wrong with demoing different OEMs but if you want an actual fitting, I suggest searching for fitters in your area.

Maybe find one or two OEMs that you liked from your PGA Store session and then bring that knowledge to get fitted

26 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

The PGASS offers a few different fittings ranging from free to paid studio quality.

The free fittings are basically demos where a floor employee will grab clubs for you to try. You get to hit shots on a CC2 launch monitor, swap stock shafts etc. The experience is fun, and if you say you want a "fitting" you'll get a dedicated bay and you can swing away. 

The studio experience, at least here in Scottsdale, is very similar to the Club Champion fittings I've done. The fitting section is secluded, only a handful of folks are allowed in, leather seats, bottled water, it's a nice environment. The people I've worked with in this area are dedicated fitters, and they don't work the floor at all. They are trained up on SAM Putt Lab, and Trackman and fit golfers all day every day. The selection of shafts and heads is comparable to other places I've been. The best part, the fitting fee is credited toward a purchase, and you can go back for additional tuning sessions as needed. 

Thank you. The location does have a studio setup and that’s what I’m interested in. Also noticed the same city has a Club Champion literally on the same street. Decisions decisions. 

The guy I use at my pgass is pretty decent. It’s nice to use the mizuno shaft optimiazer and swing different heads.   The driver numbers seem juiced, my swing speed was over 125 with 180mph ballspeed.   Every other monitor I’ve used in a outdoor setting I’m around 120 and 175. 

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

31 minutes ago, Phabs said:

The guy I use at my pgass is pretty decent. It’s nice to use the mizuno shaft optimiazer and swing different heads.   The driver numbers seem juiced, my swing speed was over 125 with 180mph ballspeed.   Every other monitor I’ve used in a outdoor setting I’m around 120 and 175. 

5mph could be down to the machine. Now if the PGASS was 16-20 higher I would agree. The studio fitting are equivalent to Club Champion

• Like 1
4 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

I am traveling for business and thinking of setting up a fitting session at one on the stores next month. 

Wanting to know any thoughts or experiences?

My local club is all all Titleist, which is fine, but want to make sure I give all brands a shot. 

It’s like anything else. Depends on the fitter, not the location. I’ve seen good fitters at a Golf Galaxy, and bad ones at Club Champion. I’m sure some wrxers can give you recommendations if you let them know where you are going for business.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

4 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

It’s like anything else. Depends on the fitter, not the location. I’ve seen good fitters at a Golf Galaxy, and bad ones at Club Champion. I’m sure some wrxers can give you recommendations if you let them know where you are going for business.

Good point!

Columbus Ohio. I live in WV and there’s just not anyone close. My CC does fittings but basically it’s Titleist or Titleist. 

4 minutes ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

Good point!

Columbus Ohio. I live in WV and there’s just not anyone close. My CC does fittings but basically it’s Titleist or Titleist. 

Maybe edit the title and ask “Best clubfitter in Columbus, OH. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of response. When it comes to clubfitting, it’s kind of like a plumber. They all have the same title, but not the same knowledge or talent.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

2 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

The PGASS offers a few different fittings ranging from free to paid studio quality.

The free fittings are basically demos where a floor employee will grab clubs for you to try. You get to hit shots on a CC2 launch monitor, swap stock shafts etc. The experience is fun, and if you say you want a "fitting" you'll get a dedicated bay and you can swing away. 

The studio experience, at least here in Scottsdale, is very similar to the Club Champion fittings I've done. The fitting section is secluded, only a handful of folks are allowed in, leather seats, bottled water, it's a nice environment. The people I've worked with in this area are dedicated fitters, and they don't work the floor at all. They are trained up on SAM Putt Lab, and Trackman and fit golfers all day every day. The selection of shafts and heads is comparable to other places I've been. The best part, the fitting fee is credited toward a purchase, and you can go back for additional tuning sessions as needed. 

I'm local... Which location in Scottsdale do you like better?  Have you given the Scottsdale 2nd swing a chance as well? 

13 minutes ago, R_Swanson said:

I'm local... Which location in Scottsdale do you like better?  Have you given the Scottsdale 2nd swing a chance as well? 

Currently the location off Shea is the best. However, the North Scottsdale location is currently being remodeled and will state of the art when they’re done. Also, Eric Hickman is the fitter I work with up there. He’s is a young fantastic fitter who knows his stuff.  He’s the type of guy I could see getting poached by tour truck/high end fitting studio sooner than later. Head to North Scottsdale and see him. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cactus Jack said:

Currently the location off Shea is the best. However, the North Scottsdale location is currently being remodeled and will state of the art when they’re done. Also, Eric Hickman is the fitter I work with up there. He’s is a young fantastic fitter who knows his stuff.  He’s the type of guy I could see getting poached by tour truck/high end fitting studio sooner than later. Head to North Scottsdale and see him. 

Will do... Fantastic feedback, thank you. 

26 minutes ago, R_Swanson said:

I forgot to mention 2nd Swing. In my opinion, the 2nd Swing Scottsdale location is not nice. The store is small and if more than five people are in the place it gets claustrophobic feeling.  The putting area is maybe 5x10 and totally awkward if two people are looking at putters at the same time. They say they offer the "Tour Van" fitting experience, but it's just hitting balls in one of their bays, and not the experience they promote on their website. I'm sure they have a good staff, and they can do high level fittings, but why go there when you can walk across the street and have a better experience? With that said, I do still pop into 2nd Swing once in a while to check out used putters. While their prices are inflated, they're the best place to find something from years past. 

3 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

Good point!

I just did the studio fitting at the Columbus PGA Superstore. My session was with Matt Riley, I thought he did a great job. Mine was a driver fitting, I hit 5 different heads and multiple shafts with each head. His goal is to keep you as stock as possible but I hit both stock and aftermarket shafts. I was very happy with his fitting. 

there’s a club champion in the same plaza and also a true spec just down the street at Brookside CC which I believe is hitting from a bay to the outside so you can see the ball flight. 

1 hour ago, PeteW said:

I just did the studio fitting at the Columbus PGA Superstore. My session was with Matt Riley, I thought he did a great job. Mine was a driver fitting, I hit 5 different heads and multiple shafts with each head. His goal is to keep you as stock as possible but I hit both stock and aftermarket shafts. I was very happy with his fitting. 

there’s a club champion in the same plaza and also a true spec just down the street at Brookside CC which I believe is hitting from a bay to the outside so you can see the ball flight. 

Prior to PGATSS, Matt was a fitter for PXG.   He was my fitter a couple of times at the Scottsdale corporate headquarters.  He was as good as any fitter I've been to and that includes over the years Cool Clubs, True Spec, Hot Stix and CC.

23 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I forgot to mention 2nd Swing. In my opinion, the 2nd Swing Scottsdale location is not nice. The store is small and if more than five people are in the place it gets claustrophobic feeling.  The putting area is maybe 5x10 and totally awkward if two people are looking at putters at the same time. They say they offer the "Tour Van" fitting experience, but it's just hitting balls in one of their bays, and not the experience they promote on their website. I'm sure they have a good staff, and they can do high level fittings, but why go there when you can walk across the street and have a better experience? With that said, I do still pop into 2nd Swing once in a while to check out used putters. While their prices are inflated, they're the best place to find something from years past. 

Yeah the store is tiny, totally agree.  I love rummaging through all the clubs though, reminds me of the golf store I used to work at as a kid and I like older clubs better than new ones half the time, haha.

That being said, I just want the best overall fitter... once my elbow tendonitis clears up I'll schedule a fitting with Eric.  Thanks again for the recommendation.

The PGATSS in NY (Long Island) is decent. Their fitting van experience. Some of the reg sales do try to push Titleist on you but not the actual fitters.

As mentioned above, you get the free GC2 demo guys, or the actual fitting experience. They just only really carry the alt stock shafts of that brand (no upcharge ones). They are also limited to which brands actually have fitting carts there. So Honma, Miura, Srixon for instance don’t seem to be options. GC Quad. 

The fittings themselves (not the shaft) are comparable to others I’ve tried (Pete’s, CC, Golftec) at a third or fourth of the price. 

Callaway Epic Max 9* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Callaway Epic Speed 4W 16.5* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21*, 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 7-PW stock KBS $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48*, 54* KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade MGS TW Edition 60* KBS C-Taper
PING 2021 Anser
TaylorMade TP5