Flynn Alto Irons

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this has been shared already, but I enquired with Flynn yesterday about a set of Series 2 irons for my son - their response is below.

Due to significant supply chain disruptions, ALTO irons are being discontinued.

New ALTO+ irons (Series 1 / 2 / 3 ) are currently in development and expected to be available later this year.
More specific timelines are still pending.

That puts my plans for a new set of irons in the trash, back to the drawing board for possible options.

5 hours ago, cellywratt said:

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this has been shared already, but I enquired with Flynn yesterday about a set of Series 2 irons for my son - their response is below.

New ALTO+ irons (Series 1 / 2 / 3 ) are currently in development and expected to be available later this year.

That puts my plans for a new set of irons in the trash, back to the drawing board for possible options.

Check out the Ping Prodigy series

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cellywratt said:

Hey everyone,

Age, height, weight, driver swing speed of junior?  Current iron set?  Perhaps he is on the edge of moving to adult sets?

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

17 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Age, height, weight, driver swing speed of junior?  Current iron set?  Perhaps he is on the edge of moving to adult sets?

He's 9, turning 10 in December - 54 inches tall, about 70 pounds. Unsure on driver swing speed but hits the ball 170-175 yards. 

Currently playing US kids TS3 Irons in 51 inch size - Callaway Epic flash driver 12 degrees, Epic Heavenwood 19 degrees, Hybrid 22.

His coach thinks he could make the step up to Adult irons following recent testing, I'm unsold on the idea due to the comparable weight of the heads vs US Kids or Flynn (approx 25g per club). I had a good chat with Jason Hiland at Sub70 Golf about building a set of their 699 irons, he seemed to think he would be fine with adult heads as well so perhaps I'm overthinking it.

3 hours ago, cellywratt said:

He's 9, turning 10 in December - 54 inches tall, about 70 pounds. Unsure on driver swing speed but hits the ball 170-175 yards. 

Currently playing US kids TS3 Irons in 51 inch size - Callaway Epic flash driver 12 degrees, Epic Heavenwood 19 degrees, Hybrid 22.

His coach thinks he could make the step up to Adult irons following recent testing, I'm unsold on the idea due to the comparable weight of the heads vs US Kids or Flynn (approx 25g per club). I had a good chat with Jason Hiland at Sub70 Golf about building a set of their 699 irons, he seemed to think he would be fine with adult heads as well so perhaps I'm overthinking it.

Stick with junior clubs till he's 60".  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cellywratt said:

My junior is 10YO boy, 57-58" tall (golf shoes on) and we are using TS3-57 irons with steel shaft.  I'd stick with junior clubs. Note: We use OEM driver (Cobra) and fairways (Callaway).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cellywratt said:

Based on the info you’ve given, it sounds like your son’s swing speed with a driver is about 70 mph.

His current set of USKG TS3-51 is too short and too light, bit moving him into adult heads with junior shafts will be too heavy.  I made this mistake with my daughter, and she eventually settled into a set of USKG TS-60 with graphite shafts and it was the right fit for her (although she is just 57” and has to choke up on them).

I moved her into a set of Titleist 712 CB with ladies shafts coming from Flynn Velocity with S2 heads, and the adult setup was just too heavy.  She had a SS of 68 at the time, is at 70 now.

USKG and Ping Prodi g are your best options unless you can find a set of used Alto somewhere.  A used set of 6-P Prodi g is about $340 at 2nd Swing right now, and even if you have to cut them down a little it’s likely a great choice given the lack of used and new inventory of junior clubs right now.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cellywratt said:

At his age I stick with junior. USKG ping prodi g line. Most coaches are not club fitters and don't really know enough about fitting kids. At 51 inches its gonna make it even worse in my opinion. I waited till my daughter was 60 her age at the time was 10.5 but it was defiantly a trial and error on going to adult. I found a single on ebay and did testing from there. But she is also 5'2.  At 51" that is a lot to cutt off an adult head and it would feel more like an axe. Just my two cents. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wildcatden said:

My junior is 10YO boy, 57-58" tall (golf shoes on) and we are using TS3-57 irons with steel shaft.  I'd stick with junior clubs. Note: We use OEM driver (Cobra) and fairways (Callaway).

I’m considering moving my son to the same setup your son uses… but man is it hard to find TS3 iron sets right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MB19 said:

I’m considering moving my son to the same setup your son uses… but man is it hard to find TS3 iron sets right now.

??   https://www.uskidsgolf.com/ts3-57-8-club-iron-set-steel-shafts

Shows in stock I think?  6th club free and add the LW to the set. That's what we did.

1 hour ago, MB19 said:

Thank you for this, it was out of stock for some time. I don’t need any wedges, but may have to grab the irons.

Grab the 6th club free as a LW and then you have a GW,SW,LW set to sell on eBay. Or you can hoard clubs like me in your garage. LOL

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

Why not just use TS3-54, pretty much the same weight as S2 Altos.

I'm thinking this might be the best idea. The info on the Flynn website has the 54 inch set recommended in Series 1 weights which are available for now. I think i'll choose between these two and reassess after his next growth spurt.

Look on Ebay if there out of stock.  AT that age your better off getting a Kids set like Flynn or US Kids.  

If you can't get them because they out of stock or on back order then you really have only a few options.

I would look at the Taylor Made Kalea clubs as an option you can buy them on eBay for cheap. There very similar to US Kids clubs and are made for  very small women who can't swing very fast. 

With the current situation of irons on back order this might be a year you end up with getting the best equipment you can and focus on skills building and do less tournaments.