The Open Championship 2021

BIM_Monkey

21 minutes ago, electroleum said:

My dad and I went to the UK to catch the 2017 Open (the year Spieth won), and part of that trip was playing 3 other Open courses. Royal St. George's was one of them.

It was far and away the least impressive of the 3 we played (we also played Royal Liverpool and Royal Lytham & St Anne's), and it was certainly the worst experience of the 3 as well (we were treated like an afterthought the entire day).

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an easy course...there are some crazy wicked tough holes & shots (The stretch of holes from 3-7 pose one heck of a challenge)...but it didn't really blow us away either.

Having played all of them…. 

yes RSG is ridiculously snooty, and once when I played it there were mushrooms growing in the bunkers. 

BUT

Its a magnificent piece of land, epic in both acreage and size of hummocks, and in most conditions it’s far more fun than Lytham for the average player with big greens, bunkers not tucked up tight to them and generous fairways.

RL has about 6 decent “links” holes and the rest is flat as a pancake. The clubhouse is fantastic though. 

Oh man this story is too good. Cobra's now firing shots back at Bryson. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/07/15/bryson-dechambeau-british-open-cobra-driver-sucks/

Key quotes from the Cobra tour rep:

“Everybody is bending over backwards. We’ve got multiple guys in R&D who are CAD’ing (compute-aided design) this and CAD-ing that, trying to get this and that into the pipeline faster. (Bryson) knows it,” Schomin said. “It’s just really, really painful when he says something that stupid.”

“He has never really been happy, ever. Like, it’s very rare where he’s happy,” Schomin said. “Now he’s in a place where he’s swinging a 5-degree driver with 200 rpm of ball speed. Everybody is looking for a magic bullet. Well, the magic bullet becomes harder and harder to find the faster you swing and the lower your loft gets.”

“It’s like an 8-year-old that gets mad at you,” he said. “They might fly off the handle and say, ‘I hate you.’ But then you go. ‘Whoa, no you don’t.’

Edited by MaineMariner
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

1 minute ago, MaineMariner said:

Oh man this story is too good. Cobra's now firing shots back at Bryson. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/07/15/bryson-dechambeau-british-open-cobra-driver-sucks/

“Everybody is bending over backwards. We’ve got multiple guys in R&D who are CAD’ing (compute-aided design) this and CAD-ing that, trying to get this and that into the pipeline faster. (Bryson) knows it,” Schomin said. “It’s just really, really painful when he says something that stupid.”

“He has never really been happy, ever. Like, it’s very rare where he’s happy,” Schomin said. “Now he’s in a place where he’s swinging a 5-degree driver with 200 rpm of ball speed. Everybody is looking for a magic bullet. Well, the magic bullet becomes harder and harder to find the faster you swing and the lower your loft gets.”

Bet Brooks is enjoying his dinner right now reading this with a smug grin on his face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

Good article.  Thanks for adding that.

• Haha 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

1 hour ago, gvogel said:

Bryson blaming his driver today.  More specifically, he is blaming the driver face.  Says he has been working with Cobra to figure out the physics of the thing, but they haven't found the solution.  This has apparently been going on since he increased his club head speed.

Having a bad day with the driver and essentially calling out Cobra techs and the equipment… Just the latest thing to add to the list of things Bryson did/does that makes one roll their eyes 🙄 He’s def entertaining on the course, but outside of that… 

19 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

Remember how cool everyone thought it was when Tiger was so meticulous in picking is driver head out of hundreds literally and other club heads? But Bryson is an idiot for doing the same lol

Bryson has had the LTD in play for years. I don’t think that’s the issue at all. Lexi plays Rad and Rickie plays F9. If he has an issue then take it up privately with techs but don’t literally drive the share price down of the company that pays you millions. The Cobra team constantly help Bryson with mad requests. I’m not overly sure other OEMS would go quite as far as Cobra have. That driver is nowhere near anything the general public buy. Also Kyle Berkshire smashed a similar head in a comp at a greater speed with no complaint. I like BDC but I thought this was a very bad look. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

“It’s like an 8-year-old that gets mad at you,” he said. “They might fly off the handle and say, ‘I hate you.’ But then you go. ‘Whoa, no you don’t.’

I have no sympathy with the manufacturers.

They bring out new clubs every year making outrageous claims to entice people into buying over priced new gear that is no better than the old gear. They use pro's to market their gear.

We constantly hear from THEM how you have to dial in lofts, shafts, lengths blah blah blah. Twist face, this face, that face, infinity face, MOI da da da da da.

Seems a little ironic for them to be getting upset when their equipment is analysed by a pro golfer - whether Bryson was making an excuse or not. 

Edited by Jay28
  • Like 4

That commentary by Bryson is like that of a petulant child, which really isn't surprising when you take a step back and look at some of his past comments and actions since turning pro. It seems ingrained in his personality.

The interesting thing is that most agreements like the one between him and Puma/Cobra have standard clauses in them about such behavior that can damage the reputation of the company. He is treading on very thin ice suddenly.

Maybe PXG can pick him up when he gets dropped.

Edited by Greg_B
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Greg_B said:

That commentary by Bryson is like that of a petulant child, which really isn't surprising when you take a step back and look at some of hos past comments and actions since turning pro. It seems ingrained in his personality.

The Cobra rep compared him to an 8 year old throwing a tantrum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

2 minutes ago, chouls19 said:

Bryson has had the LTD in play for years. I don’t think that’s the issue at all. Lexi plays Rad and Rickie plays F9. If he has an issue then take it up privately with techs but don’t literally drive the share price down of the company that pays you millions. The Cobra team constantly help Bryson with mad requests. I’m not overly sure other OEMS would go quite as far as Cobra have. That driver is nowhere near anything the general public buy. Also Kyle Berkshire smashed a similar head in a comp at a greater speed with no complaint. I like BDC but I thought this was a very bad look. 

Agreed. After reading his comments, if I'm working on the Cobra tour truck, I'm reaching for his new bag towel to wipe my arse on. 😁

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, TiScape said:

I can see it now. Cobra ends relationship w/Bryson on a Wednesday night before a tournament! Bryson plays with an off the rack set from Dicks! 😂 

Bro, his split from Cobra has been in the works for months. They've been setting up this sweet shuttle service. There's no story here.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

7 minutes ago, KennyP said:

Agreed. After reading his comments, if I'm working on the Cobra tour truck, I'm reaching for his new bag towel to wipe my arse on. 😁

Someone from the truck is going to hand him an old 11 degree Cobra Ti driver they've tea bagged and tell him to get lost.

Edited by Scotty1140
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Como82 said:

Probably will see similar scoring unfold here as we saw at Torrey Pines...the guys who went -4 to -6 today go out later tomorrow in worse conditions and a course that will gradually play harder so in the end it would not shock me if the winner is -4 to -7

Tomorrow afternoon's winds are forecast to be less than today's.  The first day afternoon wave is getting the worst of conditions.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

3 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

That has to be one of the worst I’ve ever seen. His right hand had a massive spasm as he hit the ball, even though he uses the claw.

I’m not sure where you turn to if you get the yips using armlock claw!

You do what I did, you go left handed.  

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

5 minutes ago, Como82 said:

Probably will see similar scoring unfold here as we saw at Torrey Pines...the guys who went -4 to -6 today go out later tomorrow in worse conditions and a course that will gradually play harder so in the end it would not shock me if the winner is -4 to -7

Just checked he forecast for tomorrow and the wind is actually going to be stronger in the morning, decreasing a couple of mph in the afternoon. Less wind and slower greens in the afternoon could create a bigger gulf between today's morning and afternoon starters. 

Driver: Ping G425 Max 9* | Tensei Orange 65S
Hybrid: Ping G425 19* | Tensei Orange 80HY-X
Irons: Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P | KBS $-Taper 120 Black
Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 52* and 56*
Lob Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60* X-Grind
Putter: YES! Hanna

27 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

Man.  He’s going to get roasted for saying that ( Bryson ) rightfully so.  You might say it to them quietly. But never out loud. You’d just play the LTD tommorow and refuse to comment on it.  He’s basically  close to breaking contract. And might have to pay for that $ ....

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 minutes ago, carrier street said:

Bro, his split from Cobra has been in the works for months. They've been setting up this sweet shuttle service. There's no story here.

Hate to dwell on this BS and take away from the tournament. But just can’t help but to think of what it must have been like for Tim… He probably couldn’t get that shuttle service started fast enough!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Man.  He’s going to get roasted for saying that ( Bryson ) rightfully so.  You might say it to them quietly. But never out loud. You’d just play the LTD tommorow and refuse to comment on it.  He’s basically  close to breaking contract. And might have to pay for that $ ....

Why?

Are the manufacturers above criticism?

If they make a totally s*** golf club for a player, they should be criticised.

Unless there is a specific contract clause, there is nothing Cobra can do about it other than drop him - at which point he'll be snapped up by another greedy manufacturer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1