2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Open Championship 2021

BIM_Monkey

58 minutes ago, chouls19 said:

But the head he uses is the same Berkshire uses ... it ain’t slow. Buts it’s 5 degrees and nothing in 5 degrees is going to hit a tight fairway if mishit 

Right. That’s what I’m saying. I’m saying that he’s searching for the head that does forgive the mishit at that speed.   Slow is a relative term.  I’m sure that head isn’t same as the one Bryson is using on course.  But at any rate , slow vs what ?  Have to compare it to others to know .  I havent seen either do any head to head.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

30 minutes ago, chouls19 said:

Speculation he’s going to PXG

I'd say Callaway. BDC is besties with Phil. Phil has probably been in his ear about Callaway for some time. Especially since Phil has been known to break his equipment deal in the middle of a contract with Titleist to go to Callaway.

34 minutes ago, chouls19 said:

Speculation he’s going to PXG

Great attitude fit  I’d say .  Kaboom baby ! 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

34 minutes ago, nitram said:

No one can truly handle a SLDR or it would still be in play with a different paint job. Longest driver I've ever swung and it's not even close.

Absolutely true. Silver/black faced sldr 430 , still the longest thing I ever hit.  But good lord , zero reliability 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Sorry, gump, you're not using the term remotely close to what it means.

Dog, it was just a sarcastic leeway lol.  More based on the narcissim, victim status, resentment, unhappiness, lonliness angles of weekly BDC than he cant find somebody to bone lol.  

Edited by bubbagump
  • Like 2

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

2 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

Oh man this story is too good. Cobra's now firing shots back at Bryson. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/07/15/bryson-dechambeau-british-open-cobra-driver-sucks/

Key quotes from the Cobra tour rep:

“Everybody is bending over backwards. We’ve got multiple guys in R&D who are CAD’ing (compute-aided design) this and CAD-ing that, trying to get this and that into the pipeline faster. (Bryson) knows it,” Schomin said. “It’s just really, really painful when he says something that stupid.”

“He has never really been happy, ever. Like, it’s very rare where he’s happy,” Schomin said. “Now he’s in a place where he’s swinging a 5-degree driver with 200 rpm of ball speed. Everybody is looking for a magic bullet. Well, the magic bullet becomes harder and harder to find the faster you swing and the lower your loft gets.”

“It’s like an 8-year-old that gets mad at you,” he said. “They might fly off the handle and say, ‘I hate you.’ But then you go. ‘Whoa, no you don’t.’

Couple things immediately came to mind.  This is my opinion so feel free to disagree. 

Since Cobra was sold by Acushnet and went "orange" they don't make good equipment.  Not at the same level as the other big dogs on tour.  Ogilvy and Poulter jumped ship.  I play an old set of cobra forged cb's.  Great clubs for me.  I wouldn't touch Cobra with a ten foot pole now.

Second.  BDC signed up for the above.  maybe the other OEM's wouldn't put up with his tinkering I don't know.  But he knew what Cobra was and wasn't, hopefully way better since he was literally hitching his livelihood to their train.  And conversely, Cobra knew what they were getting with 'the mad scientist."  It takes two to tango and it looks like at this moment in time BDC is the hot chick who is bat guano crazy.  We see it.  But it is still tempting because there is a lot of upside (marketing) for Cobra.  He also just ran off his caddy.

Last thing, Cobra, don't fault the guy for pushing your equipment over the edge.  I don't think this is just a "we need to cad some stuff up."  You got Sadlowskis and Berkshires out there gripping and ripping at or beyond what the BDC is up to.  If trackman says if you are going to swing it like this then you need to drop your launch angle to get the most distance, then hit a driver with putter loft.  Back to equipment, I don't think Cobra is up to the task.

Though I will concede, 100rpm of side spin is likely negligible when most guys have ~2500rpm spin with driver.  With 500rpm spin that 100rpm sidespin is a big freaking deal.

The guy just douched it around on the world stage in a major.  He is going to be angry.  Clearly he has the capability to make the speed work for him, he has a US Open win and another one or two where he employed this same recipe.

Slick Rick probably isn't in the Cobra tour van welding left handed hosels to right handed clubs just for grins.  BDC is a touchy (read douchey) dude.  

" Feel the flow, feel it. It's circular. It's like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music, the flow. All good things."

-Gary Potter

That's my perception of the whole thing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

Dog, it was just a sarcastic leeway lol.  More based on the narcissim, victim status, resentment, unhappiness, lonliness angles of weekly BDC than he cant find somebody to bone lol.  

But we've seen his girlfriend...

I'd say you're describing him as a spoiled, entitled brat. Which he seems he can be at times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Couple things immediately came to mind.  This is my opinion so feel free to disagree. 

Since Cobra was sold by Acushnet and went "orange" they don't make good equipment.  Not at the same level as the other big dogs on tour.  Ogilvy and Poulter jumped ship.  I play an old set of cobra forged cb's.  Great clubs for me.  I wouldn't touch Cobra with a ten foot pole now.

Second.  BDC signed up for the above.  maybe the other OEM's wouldn't put up with his tinkering I don't know.  But he knew what Cobra was and wasn't, hopefully way better since he was literally hitching his livelihood to their train.  And conversely, Cobra knew what they were getting with 'the mad scientist."  It takes two to tango and it looks like at this moment in time BDC is the hot chick who is bat guano crazy.  We see it.  But it is still tempting because there is a lot of upside (marketing) for Cobra.  He also just ran off his caddy.

Last thing, Cobra, don't fault the guy for pushing your equipment over the edge.  I don't think this is just a "we need to cad some stuff up."  You got Sadlowskis and Berkshires out there gripping and ripping at or beyond what the BDC is up to.  If trackman says if you are going to swing it like this then you need to drop your launch angle to get the most distance, then hit a driver with putter loft.  Back to equipment, I don't think Cobra is up to the task.

With all due respect, him pushing Cobra isn’t the issue/problem. He’s a perfectionist and is pushing Cobra R&D to build him what he wants. That’s great, no issues… The problem you have these conversations in private!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Though I will concede, 100rpm of side spin is likely negligible when most guys have ~2500rpm spin with driver.  With 500rpm spin that 100rpm sidespin is a big freaking deal.

The guy just douched it around on the world stage in a major.  He is going to be angry.  Clearly he has the capability to make the speed work for him, he has a US Open win and another one or two where he employed this same recipe.

Slick Rick probably isn't in the Cobra tour van welding left handed hosels to right handed clubs just for grins.  BDC is a touchy (read douchey) dude.  

" Feel the flow, feel it. It's circular. It's like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music, the flow. All good things."

-Gary Potter

That's my perception of the whole thing.

You talk rubbish. The orange days were poor but F9 onwards Cobra have been up there. The irons are excellent especially the CBs. Berkshire rips it and won with the same head Bryson uses so there’s nothing wrong with head in terms of pop.Every new release cobra have in past 3 years has been applauded. There’s nothing wrong with the equipment in fact the only company I ever had issues with in terms of poor manufacturing were TM when I worked in golf. I’m not saying it s the best ever for everyone but I absolutely would it more than competes.

Just now, chouls19 said:

You talk rubbish. The orange days were poor but F9 onwards Cobra have been up there. The irons are excellent especially the CBs. Berkshire rips it and won with the same head Bryson uses so there’s nothing wrong with head in terms of pop.Every new release cobra have in past 3 years has been applauded. There’s nothing wrong with the equipment in fact the only company I ever had issues with in terms of poor manufacturing were TM when I worked in golf. I’m not saying it s the best ever for everyone but I absolutely would it more than competes.

I think we can all honestly say Cobra’s quality isn’t the problem here right??? I’d say more likely someone has a problem with accountability 😉 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Absolutely he does!

8046F7D7-1BB0-4F5F-9D2F-61904853FC5F.jpeg

There we go. Could it be that Bryson's obsession with length is holding him back? 

In fact, I'll open that question up further, would Bryson's results be better if he reverted to normal equipment and a normal swing speed?

Edited by KennyP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KennyP said:

There we go. Could it be that Bryson's obsession with length is holding him back? 

In fact, I'll open that question up further, would Bryson's results be better if he reverted to normal equipment and a normal swing speed?

IDK. I will add Tony achieved those numbers with his standard gamer. Basically looked like his regular swing, just taken back to shaft parallel to the ground. Didn’t appear to be swinging nearly as “out of his shoes” as Bryson. So for what it’s worth. I’d say he’s easily longer than Bryson if that were his goal/obsession. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grm24 said:

I'd say Callaway. BDC is besties with Phil. Phil has probably been in his ear about Callaway for some time. Especially since Phil has been known to break his equipment deal in the middle of a contract with Titleist to go to Callaway.

The OEM's will fight over BDC.  Not only for the driver prowess, but remember that Bryson has the one-length iron.  The one club line Cobra has made any money on in recent years is the one-length iron set.  Developing a one-length iron will be very key to whichever OEM lands BDC.

I suspect PXG and Callaway would be the two logical choices for BDC.   PXG makes too much sense to be honest, especially with their marketing campaign of late of "leaving no stone unturned" and "money is no object", etc.  PXG creating a one-length iron set that is affordable to the masses would be quite interesting.

Edited by JaNelson38

2 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

The OEM's will fight over BDC.  Not only for the driver prowess, but remember that Bryson has the one-length iron.  The one club line Cobra has made any money on in recent years is the one-length iron set.  Developing a one-length iron will be very key to whichever OEM lands BDC.

I suspect PXG and Callaway would be the two logical choices for BDC.   PXG makes too much sense to be honest, especially with their marketing campaign of late of "leaving no stone unturned" and "money is no object", etc.  PXG creating a one-length iron set that is affordable to the masses would be quite interesting.

I don’t think one-length irons will move any needles regardless of which OEM makes them. Having Bryson under sponsorship is all about selling drivers IMO. Or perhaps the iron head he uses in a standard set. One-length isn’t taking off with the masses anytime soon, if ever. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

It would sure be nice to see some numbers to back up the success claim of the one-length irons for Cobra.