The Open Championship 2021

BIM_Monkey

47 minutes ago, manku said:

Entertaining tournament, despite having to rip up my 36-1 Louis ticket...maybe next time I'll take shorter odds and take him for a top 5 finish!

Morikawa is the best iron player I can recall...didn't seem to miss one all weekend.  Maybe Sergio was as good?

Links courses are set up for bad weather...if they toughened them up, they'd be unplayable in your typical wretched English weather.

Yes Sergio is as good as a player with the irons as Collin is. See the 2008 Players Championship for example of Sergio's ball striking. 

Amazing chipping and scrambling by Morikawa the past 2 days. We all knew how good his long game was but every time he was in the green side hay he got it up and down.

Pity we didn’t have Shotlink data because I think Rahm would have been #1 tee to green and seeing him putt so badly was weird. His performance reminded me of peak Vijay Singh but it’s really hard to win with poor putting these days when there are multiple well-rounded guys out there.

4 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Amazing chipping and scrambling by Morikawa the past 2 days. We all knew how good his long game was but every time he was in the green side hay he got it up and down.

Pity we didn’t have Shotlink data because I think Rahm would have been #1 tee to green and seeing him putt so badly was weird. His performance reminded me of peak Vijay Singh but it’s really hard to win with poor putting these days when there are multiple well-rounded guys out there.

Vijay was a streaky putter but as he showed in 2004 when he got the putter going, he was the best player in the game. Rahm has that talent for sure. If he can putt as good as he hits it... He would be the best player I believe. 

4 hours ago, ChrisL52188 said:

All right I will play Devils advocate for Paul Azinger... The man beat cancer 26 years ago in his prime of his career, I think that says enough about Paul Azinger. Does he say silly stuff? Yes. We know. I don't think Zinger cares what people say about his skills as an broadcaster. He used to be very good with Nick Faldo when they used to work together. 

I give Azinger a lot of credit for beating cancer.  But people do beat cancer.

He was a one dimensional player, and he is certainly a one dimensional announcer.  i am waiting for him to tell me something that I do not know, instead of what I can see for myself on the TV screen.  If he can't do that (and he very rarely does), he should just be quiet and let the picture tell the words.

• Like 4
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

22 minutes ago, gvogel said:

I give Azinger a lot of credit for beating cancer.  But people do beat cancer.

He was a one dimensional player, and he is certainly a one dimensional announcer.  i am waiting for him to tell me something that I do not know, instead of what I can see for myself on the TV screen.  If he can't do that (and he very rarely does), he should just be quiet and let the picture tell the words.

yeah, i'm not really sure why cancer was brought into this ... i know several people that didn't beat cancer, but they'd be a better commentator than 'zinger ... like the guy, but "these are the putts that put hair on your chest" isn't commentary i need to hear ... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 3whacker said:

Louis is a heartbreaker, you pull for him because he seems like a darn nice guy and family man, with a fabulous golf swing and handles himself with class on the course, but with the exception of the '11 Open which I think he backed into he is the classic underachiever...every tournament he has been in this year he has let one or two swings kill his hopes along with those of his followers

Lol, a basically wire to wire 7 shot victory is now a backed into it win? C’mon man!

There are a ton of players that don’t get it done as well as Louis at seemingly every major.  I’m sure not finishing the deal frustrates him even more than it does us but at least he’s willing to put himself up there and do it again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Callaway Epic Speen PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Adams A12 21* UST VTS Silver 75s

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 6-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

4 hours ago, KennyP said:

Accepted. But then you can go back one more to 2014 and McIlroy won in fair conditions at Hoylake, two more and Phil won at a baking hot Muirfield and three more to Lytham when Ernie won in sunny conditions.

My point was the weather isn't normally that bad. People tend to remember the bad days such as the infamous Saturday at Muirfield in 2002. It's often forgotten the Sunday was a lovely day. 

Totally in agreement.  But we certainly remember those days no one really wanted to play in.

Callaway Epic Speen PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Adams A12 21* UST VTS Silver 75s

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 6-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

Hate to say this but just never had any confidence that Louie was gonna close it out.  One of the best swings on the planet and best putter on tour this year, leading after rounds 1-3, this should have been his to win.  But as has been typical he just kinda faded, putts stop dropping, a few loose drives, seems to happen every time. 

I'll put it this way... as soon as Morikawa took the lead was there anyone expecting Louie to come back?  He did have that one phenomenal shot on the 250yd Par 3 but by then he had already lost the tournament by a slow bleed of mediocre play, on a day when he needed one more great round to win.

Edited by 4thand11

1 hour ago, milesgiles said:

I dont know if any wrx'ers have looked at a map, but its the only venue anywhere near London. Imo you have to play one Open near London every ten years surely, and if not at RSG it's not obvious to me where you would go.. The only one I can think of Is Cinque Ports next door, which some of you will know has held it before and is to most people the superior golf course.

Ok.  I don't disagree.

58 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Wait.....didn't the leader hit it Oscar Brown on a par 5?  Now in a playoff......that makes for a BETTER finish?  

Wait.....didn't The Open co-leader blast a bunker shot to the other greenside bunker, leading to a bogey and no golfer getting within 1 shot of Collin the rest of the way?  

The Barbasol FINISHED with a 6 hole playoff..... so yes, that makes for a BETTER finish.

Critical thinking is hard .....

25 minutes ago, Scrubby said:

Wait.....didn't The Open co-leader blast a bunker shot to the other greenside bunker, leading to a bogey and no golfer getting within 1 shot of Collin the rest of the way?  

The Barbasol FINISHED with a 6 hole playoff..... so yes, that makes for a BETTER finish.

Critical thinking is hard .....

Simple mindedness........watching a golfer blow a 3 shot lead with 4 to go is far from riveting television.......kinda sad like......nvm 

Enjoy choke fest....lol

2 hours ago, milesgiles said:

I dont know if any wrx'ers have looked at a map, but its the only venue anywhere near London. Imo you have to play one Open near London every ten years surely, and if not at RSG it's not obvious to me where you would go.. The only one I can think of Is Cinque Ports next door, which some of you will know has held it before and is to most people the superior golf course.

Not a links course but I could play at Sunningdale (either course) every day for the rest of my life. 

3 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Agreed on both points. Morikawa had, I think, two pretty nasty pitches from thick green side rough. One around the turn and one on...15? Both times he got up and down with pretty good chips/pitches and excellent putts. Actually the chip on 15 (think it was 15) was really good from the position he was in.

Rahm on the front nine couldn't buy a putt. He his so many close, yet missed everything. Finally started getting them to drop somewhere on the back nine, but it was too late by then. If he'd charged earlier, it would have made for a really thrilling final day.

Good win for Morikawa. His putting in the final round was nothing short of sublime. 

2 hours ago, 4thand11 said:

Hate to say this but just never had any confidence that Louie was gonna close it out.  One of the best swings on the planet and best putter on tour this year, leading after rounds 1-3, this should have been his to win.  But as has been typical he just kinda faded, putts stop dropping, a few loose drives, seems to happen every time. 

I'll put it this way... as soon as Morikawa took the lead was there anyone expecting Louie to come back?  He did have that one phenomenal shot on the 250yd Par 3 but by then he had already lost the tournament by a slow bleed of mediocre play, on a day when he needed one more great round to win.

Agree that LO has one of the best swings on the planet. He should have won at least 2 of the last 6 majors.

His problem, the way I see it, is that he gets protective in the last round.

First 2-3 rounds he is aggressive, attacking the golf course. Then come Sunday with a lead he wants to pick his way around the garden. Go for it LO, hammer down and if you lose it so be it. But you will win some doing that.

And, CM don’t forget, played 72 holes at RSG without a 3 putt. Can anyone seriously call that lucky? Preposterous.

Good to see him win the Open. Maybe next year he wins the American Open.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

5 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

***sidenote: rahms bag is bananas awesome if that’s his

It is Rahm's bag. His name on the bag is visible in the picture. That was the bag for the Callaway staff players this week at The Open.

https://www.golfmagic.com/competitions/win-limited-edition-callaway-open-championship-tour-bag

• Like 1