Playing large tournament with 2 different courses

Seen something new at least for me. It most likely is not new for anyone playing very large tournaments but is for me.   Anyways field is 160 plus and they are playing two different courses.

I don't like two courses for a tournament but easy enough to deal with.

Here is the thing that I am sort thinking maybe isn't so good.

They split the field up to  play both courses in the same day. So  80 played one course and 80 played the other course the same morning. then the next day the groups each played the other course.   So far this seems okay.

The big thing is you were competing against everyone on both courses for the cut and they combined the groups and cut based on the group you played in.   The pin locations I believed were fresh each morning so the courses  even though  this is a minor  gripe they really were not same for everyone. In a lot cases people missed the cut on basically 1 -2 strokes and they award medals based on this.

I don't have a issue with morning afternoon but I am thinking you should expect to play the same setup as everyone else.   I am guessing this not the norm.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is about JGS and rankings.  Different for juniors than adults.     Like I said, the two courses don't bother me.  What bothers me is the time, energy, and practice rounds.  Means you spen

Pin locations are the same each day.   FSGA does this and I don't like it.  I would rather see the 16-18 stay on one course and the 13-15 on the other like they used to do.  Having to prepar

This is standard practice and it’s no different from getting a bad draw for morning wave / afternoon wave on the same course.    It happens all the time and players just deal with it. Sometimes

Pin locations are the same each day.

FSGA does this and I don't like it.  I would rather see the 16-18 stay on one course and the 13-15 on the other like they used to do.  Having to prepare and play practice rounds on two different course is a lot of time, money, and energy.  The Time, Energy, and Money is the part I don't like.  

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

Pin locations are the same each day.

FSGA does this and I don't like it.  I would rather see the 16-18 stay on one course and the 13-15 on the other like they used to do.  Having to prepare and play practice rounds on two different course is a lot of time, money, and energy.  The Time, Energy, and Money is the part I don't like.  

I don't like that part either but this year they seem to be trying to stuff too many players in the field for all their big amateur and junior events. Two courses are not ideal in any situation but at least everyone should play them on the same day.

I sort don't like the thought of playing against people who played on a different day.   I don't know maybe I am wrong but the same course can be very different day to day.  So it's easy to see how this can effect how well you do.   Sort not good because everyone clearly isn't playing the course the same way if there playing on different days.   I also think it seed doubt because people wonder if the setup is really the same.   

Sort brings a randomness that is hard to wrap your head around.   If the field is that big they need to maybe do qualifiers with different groups.

Edited by tiger1873

Maybe I don't understand what your after. 

I've played in a some big stroke play tournaments on two courses, over 2 days, everyone faced the same pin positions, cups were not moved.  The only time I've played against person(s) in the same group was match play.  That time, the final day, was stroke play on the same course, same pins.

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

This is standard practice and it’s no different from getting a bad draw for morning wave / afternoon wave on the same course. 

It happens all the time and players just deal with it. Sometimes you play the hard course when it plays harder. Sometimes you get the morning wave before the wind picks up and the next day the wind is dead in the afternoon when you’re in the late wave. Luck of the draw. 

• Like 1

I've played in a number of big tournaments (both junior and amateur) that utilized the two course system. It's typically better for the course conditions also especially for larger fields. We would play two courses days 1 and 2, and then play the same course for the final two rounds following a cut.

I always liked that format. I found it did a really good job at identifying the top players since you had to account for course management on multiple courses instead of just the same one over and over. Sure maybe you had to play the harder course in tougher conditions, but that means you got to play the easier course in easier conditions.

The tee and hole locations would remain the same for both courses between the initial two rounds. @tiger1873, are you certain they changed the hole locations or are you just assuming that because they "looked fresh?" The grounds crew will typically manicure the area where the hole is cut after each day to make sure it isn't damaged or falling in and stays fresh for the next group. Sometimes they will even re-cut the hole if needed.

It is about JGS and rankings.  Different for juniors than adults.  

Like I said, the two courses don't bother me.  What bothers me is the time, energy, and practice rounds.  Means you spend one more night in a hotel, one more fee for a practice round, one more night of eating out, one more day off work for a junior golf tournament.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

It is about JGS and rankings.  Different for juniors than adults.  

Like I said, the two courses don't bother me.  What bothers me is the time, energy, and practice rounds.  Means you spend one more night in a hotel, one more fee for a practice round, one more night of eating out, one more day off work for a junior golf tournament.

I used to try and play both practice rounds in the same day unless the courses where really far apart (which they very rarely were).

It's not ideal for your overall stamina, but it definitely cuts down on travel days and total expenses. 

11 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I used to try and play both practice rounds in the same day unless the courses where really far apart (which they very rarely were).

It's not ideal for your overall stamina, but it definitely cuts down on travel days and total expenses. 

Rain in Florida during the months these are played generally cuts 2 rounds in a day out.  My son is playing a couple of multi course tournaments this summer.  A lot of the barriers are also courses allowing you to play before noon.  Nicklaus Junior is this week at two courses.  Both courses no practice rounds until after 12.  Bears Club is also only open Wednesday-Sunday.

Edited by heavy_hitter

20 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

The tee and hole locations would remain the same for both courses between the initial two rounds. @tiger1873, are you certain they changed the hole locations or are you just assuming that because they "looked fresh?" The grounds crew will typically manicure the area where the hole is cut after each day to make sure it isn't damaged or falling in and stays fresh for the next group. Sometimes they will even re-cut the hole if needed.

The pin location was a rumor going around.  I didn't drive to the other location or look for the pin sheet from day to day on the same day so have no clue.  The fact that you can hear a rumor's is the issue. 

If your going to finish in the top 10 then I think for the most part you score what you need.  What I see  is this happens because they stuff too many people in the tournament. The could have played the whole field on the same course morning and afternoon. Instead they chose to do morning tee times. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Rain in Florida during the months these are played generally cuts 2 rounds in a day out.  My son is playing a couple of multi course tournaments this summer.  A lot of the barriers are also courses allowing you to play before noon.  Nicklaus Junior is this week at two courses.  Both courses no practice rounds until after 12.  Bears Club is also only open Wednesday-Sunday.

A big problem I am seeing in Florida is there not charging enough per tournament.  Both FJT and South Florida are half the price of other tournaments in other states.  While I like the thought of cheap tournaments between $100 -$200 it  is resulting in very poor tournament conditions because it basically not enough for the better courses to allow junior events to play them. Some of the courses they play are not really fit for a tournament that is ranked. The nice course have long waitlists that are very hard to get into.

I also think they simply have too many kids that want to play. The Nicklaus junior needs to have 50% less kids playing and only be played there.  Some tough choices really should be made about how and how many players should be at an event.  The two courses was a solution to allow more kids to play at the the bears club. 

At the end of the day they need to charge double  the cost for their majors and have separate boys and girls events for those events. 

Edited by tiger1873
22 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

A big problem I am seeing in Florida is there not charging enough per tournament.  Both FJT and South Florida are half the price of other tournaments in other states.  While I like the thought of cheap tournaments between $100 -$200 it  is resulting in very poor tournament conditions because it basically not enough for the better courses to allow junior events to play them. Some of the courses they play are not really fit for a tournament that is ranked. The nice course have long waitlists that are very hard to get into.

I also think they simply have too many kids that want to play. The Nicklaus junior needs to have 50% less kids playing and only be played there.  Some tough choices really should be made about how and how many players should be at an event. They may also need to split the girls events from the boys sometimes.

At the end of the day they need to charge double  the cost for their majors and have only boys and girls events for those events. 

Biggest problem with several tours are fields that are 13-18.  More so a problem for the boy's than the girl's with big events.  Girl's need 13-18 or the fields are going to be small.  24 girl's in the Nicklaus field.  If they split the Nicklaus into a 13-15 division and a 16-18 division for the boy's there would likely still be 50 in each division.  There are 124 boy's in the field.  Put the 13-15 year old boys and all the girl's at North Palm Beach for 2 days and all of the 16-18 boy's at Bears Club for 2 days.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Medson said:

24 girls and 124 boys?! 

Well, I know there are less girls play junior golf. 1:5 ratio is as lopsided as I’ve ever seen. Is this normal? 

It depends on who is running the tour.   Their are lots of alternatives so most of us with girls play tournaments that we feel are better for girls.

No reason to play nicklaus when FJT has an all girls tournament next week that will have over 100 girls playing it.

Also this is a weekday tournament so it limits who can attend.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Medson said:

24 girls and 124 boys?! 

Well, I know there are less girls play junior golf. 1:5 ratio is as lopsided as I’ve ever seen. Is this normal? 

I would guess an average size of a tournament field through most tours is 84 participants.  Generally speaking that will be 24 girls and 60 guys give or take.  Most Tours could play strictly boy's and fill the 84 player field where as a girl's field of 84 would never fill up.  Bigger events like a State USGA Chapter's Championship will fill, but that is about it.