Long Iron Help without Hybrids

I have been in a bit of a quest for a while searching for the right irons for my game.  I am a sold player (usually score between even par and +5 at home). During the past year, my game has been sharp. Iron play has always been a strength, and I’ve made tremendous strides with my driver and fairway play to the point that I have real confidence in both for the first time. 

Tracking my game, it has become apparent that I lose a lot of strokes on shots between 200-230. All four of the par 3s at my home course play in this range, and 2 of the par fives will give me second shots in this general distance range. I make too many bogeys on the par 3s and not enough birdies on the par 5s. 

Ive always favored blade irons, and am currently playing a players CB with traditional lofts (Titleist 620CB). My stock 4 iron is 200 yards and it has to be perfect to stretch it any longer. I don’t hit my 3 iron any farther, and I am terribly inconsistent with my hybrid (so much so, I don’t really consider it an option). Essentially, I am playing a 200 yard club into par threes that are 200-230 yards long and I have to hit it perfect to get to the front of the green to have a putt. It results in too many missed greens and 3 putts from long range. 

id like to find a good iron option - either some long iron replacements for the top end of the bag, or an “easy to hit long” blended set to replace my current gamers. I’ve tried i500s and p790s. I was hitting 5-6 irons into these same greens with great success, but did not enjoy the gapping in the short and mid irons. Any sets out there that retain traditional looks and precision in the short and mid irons, but pack a bit more punch in the long irons?  

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about plugging one or two i500 or p790 irons above your 4i, gapped so they hit your target distances?   Sub70 has utilities based on their 699 irons, could be worth a look?  

Lots of options. Could keep your current set and pick up some utility irons. Maybe U-500 at 20, and 23 degrees. If you dont mind carrying 2 5 irons, pick up a T200 4 and 5 iron at 21 and 24 degrees. O

Replace your 620 CB 3i with U-500 3 iron with lite graphite shaft.  The latter will do the trick, I bet....  🙂   My bag is made up of 620 MB & CB irons.  I don't have the same distances a

Posted Images

Lots of options. Could keep your current set and pick up some utility irons. Maybe U-500 at 20, and 23 degrees. If you dont mind carrying 2 5 irons, pick up a T200 4 and 5 iron at 21 and 24 degrees. Or opt for a new set of combo irons, like zx5/zx7.  

• Like 1

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S 

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5*

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Srixon 585 5-6, Z785 7-PW Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

35 minutes ago, BCULAW said:

I have been in a bit of a quest for a while searching for the right irons for my game.  I am a sold player (usually score between even par and +5 at home). During the past year, my game has been sharp. Iron play has always been a strength, and I’ve made tremendous strides with my driver and fairway play to the point that I have real confidence in both for the first time. 

Tracking my game, it has become apparent that I lose a lot of strokes on shots between 200-230. All four of the par 3s at my home course play in this range, and 2 of the par fives will give me second shots in this general distance range. I make too many bogeys on the par 3s and not enough birdies on the par 5s. 

Ive always favored blade irons, and am currently playing a players CB with traditional lofts (Titleist 620CB). My stock 4 iron is 200 yards and it has to be perfect to stretch it any longer. I don’t hit my 3 iron any farther, and I am terribly inconsistent with my hybrid (so much so, I don’t really consider it an option). Essentially, I am playing a 200 yard club into par threes that are 200-230 yards long and I have to hit it perfect to get to the front of the green to have a putt. It results in too many missed greens and 3 putts from long range. 

id like to find a good iron option - either some long iron replacements for the top end of the bag, or an “easy to hit long” blended set to replace my current gamers. I’ve tried i500s and p790s. I was hitting 5-6 irons into these same greens with great success, but did not enjoy the gapping in the short and mid irons. Any sets out there that retain traditional looks and precision in the short and mid irons, but pack a bit more punch in the long irons?  

Replace your 620 CB 3i with U-500 3 iron with lite graphite shaft.  The latter will do the trick, I bet....  🙂

My bag is made up of 620 MB & CB irons.  I don't have the same distances as you but not far behind.  On my good joint days, I am getting 205+ nice and straight or baby draw from stock loft CB 3i with 92g high bend "S" composite shaft.  My only problem is I can't carry it 210, but I got an excuse, I am old... 😛  I face a 220yd Par 3, into a breeze and get my 3i on the front. 

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

T100s may be a good option if you want a thinner topline and a great looking club looking down at the ball. imo stupid good launch, distance, and feel for a traditional looking club in the long irons.  You can always tweak the lofts either way for gapping with the soft body and maintain the forgiveness too. 

Plus, it may be easier to find a couple clubs to combo into your 620cbs now that the new line is coming out in the fall. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BCULAW said:

My stock 4 iron is 200 yards and it has to be perfect to stretch it any longer. I don’t hit my 3 iron any farther, and I am terribly inconsistent with my hybrid (so much so, I don’t really consider it an option).

What are the specifics on your hybrid problem?

What (reliable) clubs do you have between Driver and 4i, and what are the distances? You might consider a 5W or a 7W for the 200-230 range.

Several PGA tour guys use Titleist 7Ws: Jason Dufner carries a 21° Titleist 915F // Keith Mitchell carries a 21° Titleist TS2 // Scott Stallings carries a 21° Titleist 917F2. Stallings says that compared to a driving or utility iron, the 7W is easier to flight up and down and will stop quicker.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

8 hours ago, BCULAW said:

I'd like to find a good iron option - either some long iron replacements for the top end of the bag, or an “easy to hit long” blended set to replace my current gamers. I’ve tried i500s and p790s. I was hitting 5-6 irons into these same greens with great success, but did not enjoy the gapping in the short and mid irons

How about plugging one or two i500 or p790 irons above your 4i, gapped so they hit your target distances?

Sub70 has utilities based on their 699 irons, could be worth a look?

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.25" 

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Kirkland Signature v3.2

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

Thanks for all the replies. I went out and walked 5 holes tonight. I really hit these titleists beautifully. My gaps are consistent in the 620 CBs until I get to the 3 iron, which I just don’t hit any farther than my 4.   I’m growing more convinced that I just really need to find a club or two between my 4 iron and my 3 wood. The hybrid is not a good solution for me, but maybe one of the easy-to-launch long iron replacements like a 500u 3 iron or an i500 3 iron might be the ticket. 

• Like 1

I know they are considered hybrids but I just got a GAPR Lo 3 and GAPR Mid 4 trying to decide if I like one more than the other. Both seem very easy to hit, the Mid is a little easier, but I've had it a week longer, so there is that.

PXL_20210619_014124872.jpg

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

@BCULAW I think it will come down to what you like the look of.  Following you on this forum you have played some great iron sets.  

The u500 is pretty compact for a hollow body UT.  It gets crazy ball speed with low spin.  It’s great as a fairway finder off the tee, but might be difficult going into a green.  Have you thought about the t100s 4i?  Could be a good option with similar looks and feel to your cb.  Maybe even bend it 1* weak to take out some offset?  Will prob get higher launch as well.

• Like 1

Titleist  TSi3 9* MCA Tensei Raw White 65s

Titleist TS3 15*  MCA Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

Titleist  TSi2  21*  RDX Smoke Black

Bridgestone  Tour B x-cb  5-PW  Modus 120x

Callaway  MD5 Jaws 54s, 58lbw  DG TI 115 S200

Bettinardi SS28  2021

Bridgestone Tour B X

I know you’re not a hybrid fan, but give the TSi3 hybrid a good look. I haven’t played a current model hybrid since 2009 until this season. Then as the others have recommended the U500 is very good. I’m playing one as a direct replacement for my 4 iron. No issues hitting it off of the deck, great out of the woods (not that I’m ever there), and outstanding off of the tee. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Red 9x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

620 / MC X-Firm

WITB Thread

Some of the players distance clubs may fit nicely. 

There are some that a bit thicker than the U500, more like the U510 and other irons that are chunky but not a hybrid similar to the Gapr-Mid shown above.

Tour Edge EXS Utility ti

Tour Edge CBX Ironwood

Taylormade Sim DHY

Adams DHY

Ping Crossover 

Sub 70 699U (lots of offset) 

Maltby FDI (component head only)

if you are looking online, make sure you look at pics of the Tour Edge stuff from another source other than the Tour Edge website, their pics look nothing like the actual clubs finish in reality for some reason. Absolutely awful pics. The person in charge of the website pics should be fired immediately 

https://pluggedingolf.com/tour-edge-exotics-exs-ti-utility-iron-review/

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Added info

FYI

U500 20' 3 iron offset is 2.2mm 

U510 has specs closer to T100 3i.

T100-S is 19', offset is 3.6mm

T100 21' 3 iron offset is 3.6mm

Add 90 gram graphite shaft - I bet the problem is solved.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

Driving irons put a premium on a combination of ball speed and ball striking, basically your swing and repetitive it is. Can you hit flush 8-9 out of 10 times. I know a lot of good players in the 7-12 handicap range that have no business hitting them.

Driver down to a 4 iron, you really should have a 5 wood and learn how to hit it 

If you are not using the 620 cb 3 iron, you probably just need a new shaft in that club.  Just change it for a lighter higher traj steel shaft or graphite.  If you go to a lighter shaft and get a little more spin in the 3 iron, you should be able to hit it reliably and get another club's worth of distance over your four iron.  This would probably be the cheapest option as well.

WITB - Persimmon, Rust, Wool, and Lead

On 6/22/2021 at 1:57 PM, BCULAW said:

7 wood. Best decision I’ve made on equipment ever. Even tour players are adding them. Stupid easy to hit. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

17 hours ago, lefthack said:

I know they are considered hybrids but I just got a GAPR Lo 3 and GAPR Mid 4 trying to decide if I like one more than the other. Both seem very easy to hit, the Mid is a little easier, but I've had it a week longer, so there is that.

PXL_20210619_014124872.jpg

I have a GAPR Lo 4 right now and a 2 on the way. Probably overpaid for the 2 but I absolutely love my 4. Consistent club off the tee, fairway, and even the rough. Doesn’t fly as high as typical hybrids but adds some height over the New Level 4995 HB 24 deg utility and my New Level 623 4 iron. I’ve never been good at hitting woods or hybrids but I have absolute confidence in my GAPR Lo

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Joh408 said:

I have a GAPR Lo 4 right now and a 2 on the way. Probably overpaid for the 2 but I absolutely love my 4. Consistent club off the tee, fairway, and even the rough. Doesn’t fly as high as typical hybrids but adds some height over the New Level 4995 HB 24 deg utility and my New Level 623 4 iron. I’ve never been good at hitting woods or hybrids but I have absolute confidence in my GAPR Lo

I've only hit the Lo a half dozen times now, but I love it. The Mid 4 had a steel shaft, so I got a Kuro Kage I just put in today. I will be hitting both a lot tomorrow.

I paid $75 +$20 for the shaft on the Mid 4. I paid $108 for the Lo 3, but I really wanted it. 

$100/club is usually my comfort level, but I am really happy I got it and still way less than MSRP.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Tsi3 is the best hybrid I’ve hit in ages, on order now

i too play 620cb, but i had the original TMB from my previous combo set in the 4 and 5

irons. They defintley have better ball

speed and launch than standard 4 and five irons, with the added benefit of looking, literally identical to the 4/5 irons from the 620cb set. I imagine they could be had on eBay. 

• Like 1

Updated WITB: Callaway/TEE/Srixon/Titleist/Putters https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1816729/2020-edition-witb-weapons-of-grass-destruction#latest

I always forget about the tmb.  Still some tour usage as I believe maybe Adam Scott still has one in the bag.  They spin a little more than u500, which would be better for controlling flight and going into greens.

Also, maybe try the cobra utility 3 iron.  It has an adjustable loft sleeve which is awesome!  Prob won’t make a huge difference, but you might see a change in trajectory and spin.

Titleist  TSi3 9* MCA Tensei Raw White 65s

Titleist TS3 15*  MCA Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

Titleist  TSi2  21*  RDX Smoke Black

Bridgestone  Tour B x-cb  5-PW  Modus 120x

Callaway  MD5 Jaws 54s, 58lbw  DG TI 115 S200

Bettinardi SS28  2021

Bridgestone Tour B X

I own a T-MB 2 iron and I would not recommend it even for a low handicap player if the problem is getting elevation up. It’s great as far as ball speed goes, not the most forgiving, but for a low cap it’s fine, plus I don’t find it to flight any higher than corresponding cavity backs or some blades.  I only kept the T-MB 2 iron because of the ball speed retention on strikes low on the face (my miss) and it’s easy for me to fade, which is not my natural shot shape. 

I think I DHY, Gapr, or U-510 would be something geared towards gaining elevation would be the way to go……. You could always go with a game improvement iron that has jacked lofts to elevate. Something like a Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5 iron or something along those lines. 

The JPX 921 HMP 5 iron is 22* with a bit shorter shaft and a 2* less loft than your CB620 4 iron (24*), it’s not a huge amount of offset to look down at, and  I think that it’s  a good option if you are looking for height.

I warmed up with one in a hitting bay before my iron fitting and it went very high with a KBS Tour 120 shaft in it.  I was blown away by the height compared to my gamers which were Titleist 716 T-MB’s 2-PW at the time.