2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Phone apps are ruining the game

I've been using Golfpad, I'm well  over 15 lol.  I mostly use the stakes for my distances but sometimes check the app if I'm wide.  After my shot I'll input my club and stroke and walk to my ball. At first I pulled it out after the hole and tried it was a nightmare and slow.  Now after every shot a quick tap tap and I'm off.  We usually average 4 hours a round and I'm not the slow one. 

But thanks for looping me into your broad generalizations.

Fwiw- I know the kind your talking about so your frustrations not lost on me.

I'm not sure how a GPS app is any slower than pacing off yardages. So what do you expect? People just to guess, hit and hurry on?

Your enjoyment be damned! I need to finish my round 5 minutes quicker! 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

On 6/23/2021 at 5:53 AM, jordan2240 said:

Anyone else find it frustrating to see phones becoming a significant part of the game?

Hey Grandpa, didn't you say it was supposed to be Ethyl's turn on the computer at the retirement home? 😛

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

My rangefinder is waterproof and accurate to < a yard.

My old dedicated GPS, no longer used, was waterproof and accurate(?) to +/- 3-4 yards

My phone ain't waterproof and I'm not sure if an app would be as accurate as the dedicated GPS. :classic_wink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

4 minutes ago, rooski said:

Hey Grandpa, didn't you say it was supposed to be Ethyl's turn on the computer at the retirement home? 😛

We use our smartphones too much,... - News - What Mobile

Titleist Pro V1X

Just now, nsxguy said:

We use our smartphones too much,... - News - What Mobile

image.png.b2eb8abad485589a9c6f68cc6275605a.png

• Haha 2

Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

1 minute ago, rooski said:

image.png.b2eb8abad485589a9c6f68cc6275605a.png

THEY don't KNOW one another.

History

Titleist Pro V1X

1 minute ago, nsxguy said:

THEY don't KNOW one another.

History

image.png.c65e42ad509ffbb370af5b9061199247.png

The more things change, the more they stay the same

• Haha 1

Just now, rooski said:

image.png.c65e42ad509ffbb370af5b9061199247.png

The more things change, the more they stay the same

:classic_laugh:

Another picture where most of them likely don't know each other.

Keep trying !!!

An age-by-age guide to kids and smartphones

• Sad 1

Titleist Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

:classic_laugh:

Another picture where most of them likely don't know each other.

Keep trying !!!

You're right, a photo of a group of people having dinner in a small room is in no way comparable to the picture you linked of a group of people having dinner in a small room.

My apologies, frankly embarrassing how I could be so out-debated and out-smarted. 

I think people should be using newspapers to determine yardages on the course!

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Yeah I'm not great at golf, but I also don't agree pace of play is a phone issue.  In addition to a Bushnell golf watch for distances, I'm running the GHIN app to keep track of everything that app can do with regards to details, and similar to others most of the time I'm making those inputs/adjustments between the green and the subsequent T-box.  I am always waiting for someone else in whatever group I end up in, and prefer to walk/carry vs be tied to the cart zigzagging all over the earth wondering where someone else's ball is.

Complacency and slow-ness is contagious and needs to be proactively coached out, when and where possible in the group you're in, every time.  What to have in your pocket and how to be ready on deck, carrying an extra ball (or two), approaching the stroll with urgency, ready golf, etc.  I'm also allergic to slow walkers in the grocery store, so yeah, fast guys are gonna fast.

Except if the slow golfer is your spouse, because that conversation escalates quickly.  I just, uhh, know that, now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

Not what I was suggesting.  I believe a dedicated GPS or rangefinder would normally be quicker, though the rangefinder is questionable for some.

I used a SkyCaddie for years. I now use Hole19 on my iPhone. Apart from unlocking your phone (2 seconds, max), there's no meaningful difference in speed.  

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

6 hours ago, RCGA said:

I'm not sure how a GPS app is any slower than pacing off yardages. So what do you expect? People just to guess, hit and hurry on?

Your enjoyment be damned! I need to finish my round 5 minutes quicker! 

I agree with you. It's not the app it's the person using it. I used an app and it slowed me down. I use the Voice Buddy and it speeded up my play a lot. No more pacing off yardages.

I've paired up with people that use apps and use range finders. I don't even realise they are using them they are so quick with them. 

I see other people on the course using devices sometimes and I think to myself I see why the course is backed up. I'm glad I have never been paired up with those people. It would drive me crazy.

• Like 1

I play a lot of courses with elevation changes that have lots of blind shots ...using the app speeds up play I can easily check hazards to clear and distances and select a club.  If in playing a course I know wel or it is flat then I just use a range finder.  It shouldn’t take someone more than 20 seconds to view the app and make a decision.  Pace of play is definitely slowing down but I think it’s from courses overbooking and lot of new to sport golfers who can’t play at a reasonable pace.  

It's not the app/GPS/Rangefinder, it people not knowing or wanting to play at a proper pace. Even before the tech was available you still had slow players. 

What needs to happen is if you wind up playing with someone who is a slower player you need to help them play faster. Teach them to fill out their scorecard or stat sheet at the next tee box. If you are not sure which club to hit then take 2 or three to your ball. Playing the proper tee boxes for you skill level. 

There are many things that can be done to help with pace of play. 

Driver:  Titleist TSi2 9* Ventus Black 6S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi2 15* Speeder 757 Evo II S

Utility: Titleist T-200 3 Iron Ventus Blue HB 8 S

Irons: Titleist 620CB w/ DGTI X100 4-6

Irons: Titleist 620MB w/ DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50/8F, 56/10S, 60/4T

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+ 34"

Ball: Pro V1

On 6/23/2021 at 3:03 PM, Laznasty said:

This is the same guy that waits for the green to clear 250+ yards away on a par 5 because he can "get it there if he catches it clean", but we all know what happens next.

I might push back on this a little. Yes, if you're physically incapable of the distance then you shouldn't be waiting. But if there's even a small chance that I could roll one up on the green, then I'm letting them putt out. I know I get upset when someone rolls one up near the green when I'm putting, so I can't have it both ways. And if I'm in position to have to be making that decision, it means I'm probably doing fine keeping up with the group ahead of me, so what's the big deal if I wait a few minutes for them to walk off? I'm just going to catch back up on the next hole.

But I do take your overall point. People need to get over their egos and play to their real distances, not what they imagine they're capable of.

I also think there's a different perception of PoP among occasional players, many of whom expect to take 4.5 hours to play and don't don't if it edges close to five. A day on the course is an event and they're not necessarily in a rush to finish, they're just having a day out with their friends. That doesn't excuse the lack of consideration for the groups stacked up behind them, but I do understand their perspective.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:53 AM, jordan2240 said:

I golf with several people who have apps on their phones for determining distances.  Some also use them to keep score and other stats.  After every hole, they are taking time to poke around on the keypad to enter information, and upon arriving at their ball they are poking around to get the phone to show the distance.  Often, they seem to have some difficulty seeing the screen because of the sunlight.  Then they ponder over club choice (some of them do anyway) and proceed to send the ball rolling along the ground or off in some direction or distance totally off kilter.  All of this poking and pondering slows down the pace of play, and likely provides them with no benefit.  I suspect the same for most hackers out there using phone apps.  I tried '18 birdies' for a couple of rounds, and decided it wasn't for me.  I have a rangefinder that takes me about 10 seconds to use when I find it necessary, and can usually tell my playing partners what distances they have well before they can read it from their phones.  Anyone else find it frustrating to see phones becoming a significant part of the game?

Absolutely!!! On my home course I know most of my yardages anyhow. But if in doubt I can pull the range finder and click and shoot quicker than the apps guys fiddling with their phones. IMHO it has not ruined the game as a whole but it does slow up play.

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

On 6/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, North Butte said:

Fortunately, none of the guys in my current regular groups do that sort of thing. But a few years ago it seemed more popular than it is now. Even one guy in a foursome pulling his phone out, unlocking it then swiping around for a minute or so, once or even twice a hole, just ruins the pace of the entire group. Can't even imagine if there were two people doing it in the same group.

I've messed about with a couple of the apps during a solo practice round, just to see what they were like. Never made it through even three holes. Just awful. 

I had 2 guys on a pick up scramble team the other week. They had evidently 2 different apps and would argue over distance which I know pretty well at that course but then again click and shoot if needed. We had a shotgun start and we had started on #7. Usually I am pretty laid back but had had enough by #9. I told the guys to put those things away and quit bickering or keep their yardages to themselves or I was outta there going to the house. It was not so much the use of the apps but the bickering between those 2. I have had other players before that have used apps and will double check with me or others using rangefinders to confirm but never anything like those 2 cats

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

I think some people just can't put their phones down now. One of the things I enjoy about golf is being away from 'normal life' and my phone. 

• Like 2
SM 2021 2.5+ 
Lefty

Cobra LTDx Max 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue

Titleist TSi2 20° Tensei AV Blue
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5 Nippon Modus NS-Pro Tour 105
Mizuno JPX919 Forged 6 to G Nippon Modus NS-Pro Tour 105
Mizuno S18 54° + 58° Nippon Modus NS-Pro Tour 105
TaylorMade Spider S

On 7/5/2021 at 3:41 AM, dreynolds819 said:

I think some people just can't put their phones down now. One of the things I enjoy about golf is being away from 'normal life' and my phone. 

I had gotten into the habit lately of keeping my phone in my golf bag during a round so I could look at it during down time (waiting on slow groups ahead of me, etc). The last three rounds I've gone back to leaving it in my locker and I had forgotten how relaxing the extended break from "screen time" is.

• Like 2

Interesting, in Australia nearly 80% of the private clubs have moved to a scoring app with in built GPS for all competition rounds to speed up pace of play, it even includes the handicap for the course for the day.

We have found that it has achieved the required result though you do still get the players that have to range find every aspect of the hole/shot before they hit but overall it is far more convenient

My best friend uses a phone app. He’s a fast player, but this does slow him down. It’s especially frustrating when I laser the flag to give him a distance and he still insists on checking the phone app. 

Ive used 18 Birdies a couple of times when I’m on a new course and want to see a picture the hole and any potential trouble. But by the time I open the phone and get to correct hole I’m usually frustrated with how long it takes and probably won’t  look again during the round. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2021 at 11:31 AM, deadsolid...shank said:

My best friend uses a phone app. He’s a fast player, but this does slow him down. It’s especially frustrating when I laser the flag to give him a distance and he still insists on checking the phone app. 

Ive used 18 Birdies a couple of times when I’m on a new course and want to see a picture the hole and any potential trouble. But by the time I open the phone and get to correct hole I’m usually frustrated with how long it takes and probably won’t  look again during the round. 

He's doing it wrong then.  When I finish a hole, I'm entering the score as I move to the next tee box.  After I enter my score, it automatically advances to the next hole and begins tracking GPS immediately.  By the time I get near the tee box I already know the distance because it's updating constantly as I move.  I know the distance before you stop your cart, much less before you pull out your range finder and laser the flag.

"Opening the phone and getting to the correct hole" just doesn't make sense if you're using the app for each hole.  The app stays up, at worst I need to swipe to unlock my phone but the app is right there as I left it.  It's keeping up as I go from tee, to fairway, to green, to the next tee.  It all stays in sync.

13 minutes ago, cstewart913 said:

He's doing it wrong then.  When I finish a hole, I'm entering the score as I move to the next tee box.  After I enter my score, it automatically advances to the next hole and begins tracking GPS immediately.  By the time I get near the tee box I already know the distance because it's updating constantly as I move.  I know the distance before you stop your cart, much less before you pull out your range finder and laser the flag.

"Opening the phone and getting to the correct hole" just doesn't make sense if you're using the app for each hole.  The app stays up, at worst I need to swipe to unlock my phone but the app is right there as I left it.  It's keeping up as I go from tee, to fairway, to green, to the next tee.  It all stays in sync.

I don’t know how he’s doing it. Just that it does in fact take him longer. 

As for my experience with 18 Birdies, because I only looked every few holes, I had to move to the correct hole. Maybe if I were using the paid version it would advance automatically and always be on the correct hole, I don’t know. I always did like my GPS watch that was updating as I moved.  A number at the ready when you get to the ball.  

Something doesn't add up with the original premise of this thread.

While I use a rangefinder for most distances, there are times where I don't have a good sightline to the flag, and will use a phone app.

Since I walk 90% of my rounds, I can have the phone open, on the hole I'm playing and reading distances all within a few steps of arriving at my ball. And this all includes the fact that my particular app doesn't reliably  advance to the next hole, so I have to hit a couple of extra buttons to do it manually, but still, the amount of extra time spent getting a distance on the phone is effectively zero as I'm still walking to the ball. No different than a GPS watch, really. It's absolutely faster than trying to get distances from sprinkler heads - especially because the spots I'm using the phone app are typically not close to a marked sprinkler head. (Otherwise, I'd be using a rangefinder)

Now, if players are getting distracted with doing all sorts of other stuff on their phone, that's another deal altogether.

Edited by dubbelbogey
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 8:13 PM, cstewart913 said:

The distance you "know" is to the front or back edge(?( or the middle of the green.

What do you do about the flag ?

Also, (most ?) GPS is accurate to +/- 3 or 4 yards. RF is <1. Or doesn't that matter ?

1 other thing. What do you do when it rains ? :classic_blink:

Titleist Pro V1X