Best performing DTC ball available?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't really hold it against him but I tried the original MTB Red (if that was the name?) which was the TPU cover ball he introduced then almost immediately replaced with a new version that was cast

Snell, and it's not even close. Fun to hear people call out Snell after we get to our drives and check out which ball is the long one, and Snell keeps getting called out. Never fails that someone says

I've tried a number of DTC (direct-to-consumer) balls - Oncore, Snell, Vice, Cut, etc. and in my opinion, the best performing ball is the Snell MTB Black.  From tee to green, it just checks all the bo

Posted Images

Last spring I decided to try as many golf balls as I could to settle on one ball for the summer

I tried the Snell, OnCor, Vice, and other over the counter balls

I finally settled on the Snell Black

Its the best for my game

I think its one of the best balls regardless of how you can get them

I think its a testament to Dean that he cant keep them in stock

Driver -COBRA FLY-Z 9.5*

5 Wood - PING G400 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G400 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Callaway CB 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Spitfire-34in

Ball- Snell- Black

3 minutes ago, scott406 said:

Last spring I decided to try as many golf balls as I could to settle on one ball for the summer

I tried the Snell, OnCor, Vice, and other over the counter balls

I finally settled on the Snell Black

Its the best for my game

I think its one of the best balls regardless of how you can get them

I think its a testament to Dean that he cant keep them in stock

I don't really hold it against him but I tried the original MTB Red (if that was the name?) which was the TPU cover ball he introduced then almost immediately replaced with a new version that was cast urethane like his others. I think that replacement ball is what became MTB-X eventually.

That first four-piece TPU ball has to be just about my least favorite ball I've ever tried. What a dud. 

Full credit to Dean for not just fronting it out. He basically said sorry, that one didn't turn out like he hoped and he would stick to his preferred cast urethane construction in future. 

• Like 2

Definitely the Snell MTB-X, It's my normal gamer except when I can't buy them and go to the Bridgestone BX.  Last summer I did my own personal ball shootout while the courses near me were empty in the afternoons.  The MTB-X, Bridgestone BX and MTB were the top 3 in that order so I'm really impressed with the Snell offerings.  The MTB-X went a little further off the driver, and seemed to spin more on approaches over the MTB.  The MTB was a little more consistant off the driver with less side spin.  So I keep a sleeve of the MTB for when the driver swing just isn't quite there. 

I loved the feel and greenside spin of the Cut Blue, but it seemed very inconsistent distance wise if there was any wind and had terrible durability.  The Vice Pro and Pro Plus were both good balls, but didn't really excel anywhere compared to the Snell and Bridgestone

I have to try Snell again but I remember them being very good, I just don't play them cause they haven't been in stock in Canada for months, they come in and gone in days. But a lot of other DTC like Vice and OnCore are solid options, Kirkland for the price is solid as well. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

RZN is another good option. I play MS-Tour, good performance with soft feel.

Adtech has a comparison chart of RZN now and RZN then (swoosh era). Attached PDF is from https://www.adtechdd.com/pages/brands

They have a new 4pc ball coming soon--RZN Pro, which they claim to be better than 2016 Platinum. Will keep an eye on it.

Here are some other options: https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/direct-to-consumer-golf-balls-snell-vice-oncore

RZN_Technology_Evolution_12-03-2021.pdf

Snell, and it's not even close. Fun to hear people call out Snell after we get to our drives and check out which ball is the long one, and Snell keeps getting called out. Never fails that someone says, "I have to check out those Snell balls"

• Like 2

Driver: PING G425 LST
3 wood: PING 425 Max
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Ping 54, Taylor made Hi toe wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport
Kirkland Tour ball/Snell MTB-X

The mtb-x is just a great ball. That being said, the vice pro doesn't get the love it deserves.

I've never ordered them, but have found several on the course, and have always been impressed with distance, spin and durability.

I sometimes play multiple balls as a single if nobody is behibd me, and it's often the ball that ends up the best of whatever I hit.

Snell. Snell is solid but, RZN released some MS / HS tours which are relatively equal in price if I am not mistaken which is a really decent ball. 

https://www.adtechdd.com/collections/brands/products/r2005-101

I don't know what the difference is between the Pro and HS Tour but the MS Tour is softer. They also have some "Tour" on sale for 25 a dozen.

Snell.  I switch between the MTB-X and Chrome Soft X LS.  If I remember correctly, Dean used to work for TM and Titleist at one point in R&D.

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

My vote is for Snell MTB-X.  Waiting for Yellow to get back into stock. 

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5 
Hybrids ___ Ping  G410 4H & Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM8 52.08F & 56.08S
Putter _____ Bettinardi BB45
Ball _______ Titleist ProV1 - Yellow / Snell MTB-X - Yellow
Bag _______ Datrek Lite Rider
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell NEO Ghost,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

2 hours ago, Stanks said:

Snell. Snell is solid but, RZN released some MS / HS tours which are relatively equal in price if I am not mistaken which is a really decent ball. 

I don't know what the difference is between the Pro and HS Tour but the MS Tour is softer. They also have some "Tour" on sale for 25 a dozen.

There is a PDF attached in my previous post, which compares HS-Tour and Pro. The main difference is iron spin.

1.png.c5b57033095241f74aa1fd1c533e3b37.png

• Like 1

well for what its worth, just this past Wednesday i tried the Penfold Hearts which I read is actually tournament legal but they don't advertise that since they have to pay the USGA and RandA to be on the conforming list. (please correct me if I'm wrong) But anyway i use them for casual play so for the £25 plus £3 postage its worth having a go.

I got past the first three holes playing my Bridgestone Tour B-XS as a comparison and then switched to the Penfold for holes #4-9 (Par 3, 4,4,3,4,5) and I would say they were pretty much even. It is a good all round ball. great for distance as I was green side with a few shots though slightly left and right so had a bit of a two way miss going (poor Alignment on my part not the ball) finally chipping I did notice a small whisker after clipping a chip shot onto the 9th green (the tiniest piece of the cover came up but nothing terrible to make it unplayable. its a golf ball at the end of the day)  Putting just like any other ball really had 7 lip outs which hurt but that's golf lol. 

Will give it a full 9 holes the next time I play to give it a good work out. will post my overall thoughts then 🙂 

good golf

E4kwWcTWYAQ50Kt?format=jpg&name=large

Yep...Snell MTB is my Vote. 

Edited by Drewhill44
  • Like 1

Driver:  Cobra RadSpeed 10.5* @ 9.5*-Diamana Whiteboard 60X

Fairway Woods:  Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood 14.5* & 5 wood 18.5*-Diamana Whitebaord 70X

Irons:  Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges:  Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*, 60*-KBS C-Taper 125S+

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball:  2020 Bridgestone Tour BX

15 hours ago, pallmall said:

There is a PDF attached in my previous post, which compares HS-Tour and Pro. The main difference is iron spin.

1.png.c5b57033095241f74aa1fd1c533e3b37.png

Don't know why my browser didn't originally show that. Looks good. Now, let's just dial in that Nike Volt Color they had on the RZN Tour Black ball. One of the best looking and playing balls I've ever used. Can't find them for less than $75 on ebay. At least, last I checked. 

17 hours ago, Stanks said:

Interesting, never heard of these balls, but on the website, it seems as though this company made the old Nike balls?

Driver: PING G425 LST
3 wood: PING 425 Max
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Ping 54, Taylor made Hi toe wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport
Kirkland Tour ball/Snell MTB-X

On 6/25/2021 at 10:58 AM, gioreeko said:

Interesting, never heard of these balls, but on the website, it seems as though this company made the old Nike balls?

From what I gather, they gained the rights to use the technology. I believe the original guy, Rock Ishii made the balls for Nike and since that line ended, he gained employment at Callaway. 

The guys that make the RZN golfballs knew there was a following for the microdimple pattern and there definitely is but, I'm sure it'll never be as big as the originals and never feel as good as the Platinum Tour or Black Tour though they're certainly trying and are definitely making sales. 

I tried the Snells and didn’t care for them spin wise. Had a partner event this weekend and played a Vice for some shots, and it seemed to hold its own just fine. The Left Dash is hard to replicate from other brands as it’s a small market item. 

Edited by MPAndreassi
  • Like 1

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Red 9x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

620 / MC X-Firm

WITB Thread

On 6/25/2021 at 7:55 AM, DavidH88 said:

well for what its worth, just this past Wednesday i tried the Penfold Hearts which I read is actually tournament legal but they don't advertise that since they have to pay the USGA and RandA to be on the conforming list. (please correct me if I'm wrong) But anyway i use them for casual play so for the £25 plus £3 postage its worth having a go.

I got past the first three holes playing my Bridgestone Tour B-XS as a comparison and then switched to the Penfold for holes #4-9 (Par 3, 4,4,3,4,5) and I would say they were pretty much even. It is a good all round ball. great for distance as I was green side with a few shots though slightly left and right so had a bit of a two way miss going (poor Alignment on my part not the ball) finally chipping I did notice a small whisker after clipping a chip shot onto the 9th green (the tiniest piece of the cover came up but nothing terrible to make it unplayable. its a golf ball at the end of the day)  Putting just like any other ball really had 7 lip outs which hurt but that's golf lol. 

Will give it a full 9 holes the next time I play to give it a good work out. will post my overall thoughts then 🙂 

good golf

E4kwWcTWYAQ50Kt?format=jpg&name=large

If it's not on the conforming list, it can't be played in any tournaments that have that requirement (PGA, LPGA, Korn Ferry, etc...).  It's fine for casual play but I don't know if you can use it in rounds you are using as part of an official handicap.  It's somewhat expensive for a non-urethane ball as are most of the items on their site (especially if the gloves are just dyed versions of the GX gloves that go for a third of the price).  It appears that they are more interested in being a golf merchandise company banking on the Penfold name than being a serious golf ball company.  It's hard to imagine that the balls are a good value for the price considering the alternatives that are out there.

You don't simply pay to get your ball listed on the conforming list.  There is a submission fee to have your balls tested for conformance and those that pass are put on the list.  There is also an annual resubmission fee to keep the ball on the list each year.  At $1200, it's not really cost prohibitive but probably not a big deal for a company that only has one ball model and it's non-urethane.  Even if it was on the conforming list, it would be very unlikely to see it in any high level tournament.   

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/2021 USGA Golf Ball Submission Guidelines Final.pdf

Anyone can order a few hundred dozen generic golf balls from various Asian factories and have them stamped with whatever name and logo they like. Somebody just had the Penfold stuff stamped on a cheap Surlyn ball and then didn't even pay to have them tested and listed as confirming. Ripoff unless you really place a lot of value on the throwback name. Hard pass.

While not DTC, they also don't advertise. I just ordered 3 boxes of Spalding SD Tour X because they were $12/box with the promo they sent me. They have gotten good reviews, I'm looking forward to them.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

30 minutes ago, lefthack said:

While not DTC, they also don't advertise. I just ordered 3 boxes of Spalding SD Tour X because they were $12/box with the promo they sent me. They have gotten good reviews, I'm looking forward to them.

I bought about 18 dozen of the Spalding SD Tour and SD Tour X on clearance at Walmart. I'm not impressed. Not very durable, distance is on the shorter side as well. I've been very pleased with the Vice Pro Plus. Every bit as good as ProV1x for a much better price. The Spaldings will be relegated to off-season use.

• Thanks 1

Bag 1                                                                               Bag 2                                                    Bag 3

PING G400 MAX 10.5 UST Attas 4U 6TS  44"             Titleist 905R 9.5* Speeder S             Cleveland Classic 310 GD Pershing 60 S

PING G25 16.5* 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                Titleist 906F2 15* YS6+ FW S           Callaway Warbird 3, 5, & 7 Woods Memphis 10 Steel

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood @ 20* D+ 80 S                Titleist 906F4 18.5* NV 75 FW S       PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Titleist 915H 24* AD DI 95X                                          Titleist 904F 22* DG S300                 PING Eye 2 XG 56* & 60* DG S300

PING i210 5-UW Recoil 110 F5                                      Mizuno MP30 4-PW DGS300             PING Sigma Tyne H

PING Glide 56* @ 55*, Callaway PM Grind 60*           Mizuno T20 54* & 60* DG TI S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Blade w/Triple Track         Odyssey White Steel #5

5 hours ago, cardigan said:

If it's not on the conforming list, it can't be played in any tournaments that have that requirement (PGA, LPGA, Korn Ferry, etc...).  It's fine for casual play but I don't know if you can use it in rounds you are using as part of an official handicap.  It's somewhat expensive for a non-urethane ball as are most of the items on their site (especially if the gloves are just dyed versions of the GX gloves that go for a third of the price).  It appears that they are more interested in being a golf merchandise company banking on the Penfold name than being a serious golf ball company.  It's hard to imagine that the balls are a good value for the price considering the alternatives that are out there.

You don't simply pay to get your ball listed on the conforming list.  There is a submission fee to have your balls tested for conformance and those that pass are put on the list.  There is also an annual resubmission fee to keep the ball on the list each year.  At $1200, it's not really cost prohibitive but probably not a big deal for a company that only has one ball model and it's non-urethane.  Even if it was on the conforming list, it would be very unlikely to see it in any high level tournament.   

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/2021 USGA Golf Ball Submission Guidelines Final.pdf

well like i said @cardigan I used mine for casual golf but i liked the ball for the history when it was used by Sir Nick Faldo and Seve both multiple Open champions i might add and made famous in the Goldfinger film with Sir Sean Connery and they are produced in the UK to boot. I guess I got misinformation i read on the web that was all but It was also just my two cents but there is very good DTC balls on the market that have been mentioned so thanks for the quote and reply ^_^