I think I am done with non-urethane balls.

Pearson10M

I mid-handicap golfer and was playing Top-Flite D2+ feels and thought they were pretty good for my skill level as I was learning the good striking techniques.  I liked the D2+ Feels, because I could get them for $0.50 a ball, they were pretty durable and if I lost one, I wasn't too concerned.  As I got better, the # of balls that I lost decreased considerably.  Then Top-Flite stopped making the D2+ and replaced with the Hammer Controls which I found to be less durable as in the cover cut much more easily, sometimes only after a few iron or wedge hits. I tried the Gamer (3-Piece ball), same thing.  

After the poor results with the new TF varieties, I tried some Srixon Softfeels and the QStar Tours.  The Soft Feels performed well, but the cover was about as durable as the Top-Flights, maybe a tad better, but more costly.  The QStar Tours have a cast urethane coating and have survived 25 holes of play without and cuts or evidence of damage that I would consider unplayable.  At $32/dozen, they are pricey, but I did get 3 dozen for $64, but that is still $$$ for me.  the price isn't an issue until I lose one.

I am looking at the Callaway Supersofts (non-urethane coating) now as I tried to find a decent ball that won't break the bank and lasts.  I also found and tried some Spaulding Tour XD's and they did well in the durability department and played well but I can't find them at Walmart anymore.  They were $9/dozen and a 3-Piece urethane ball.

Has anyone found similar results that cast urethane coating balls are more durable than Surlyn or other Ionomer cover balls?  I know that the soft ionomer covers can be lower durability,  but in reality, how pronounced is it.

Most of my balls don't last for more than a few holes, but I play a mix of cheap and Srixon Q Star Tour and Taylormade Project A.

I haven't noticed a huge durability issue with the pricier vs Nitros. The Srixon shows a few wedge shots, but not bad.

Taylormade M6 D Type driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

If you're looking for cheap and performance with durability look no further than the KSig 3.2.  $25 for 2 dozen for a 3 piece urethane ball that performs extremely well.  If you want a ball that can look new after 36 holes go and get some Callaway Diablo Tours at DSG.  I would assume the Callaway Hex Tours at Costco would also be as durable.  The Diablo Tours can be had for 2 for $40.  There are times you can get lucky and happen to be at DSG or Golf Galaxy and pick them up for 3 for $45.  The Callaway's are 3 piece ionomer covered balls.  All balls ranging from $1.00 to $1.67 per ball for whatever you're looking for.

Problem solved.

Edited by wantacigar
  • Like 2

My wife plays but has never purchased golf balls.  I stock her bag with my cart-path balls or remains of a dozen I experimented with but ultimately didn't like.  All urethane models - mostly ProV1 or Taylor Made.  A couple years ago we were on vacation and she checked her bag and was down to 2 balls.  So that night we went to the local Walmart and she bought a dozen Nitro balls. Maybe about $12.  The next day we played and she was mentioning the odd feel. I could tell by the noise it wasn't urethane, particularly on the putts.  Plus I noticed the covers were cracking - all the more serious considering her low club head speed.  All along she had been spoiled by good balls but didn't appreciate it.  

There are a lot of direct to consumer brands that sell urethane balls for less than most big brands sell surlyn or ionomer balls. At the cost you're paying if you buy bulk I wouldn't worry too much about durability but most of those DTC brands I've found durability to be fine. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Trad II - Lajosi Sensor - Kingdom Putter - - and more. 

WITB Thread

Can't beat the Ksig V2 3 piece. I have a friend that's learning the game, and buys the cheapest balls possible, and says he's fine. Every time we play he wonders why his pitches just bounce and roll off the green, and mine bite and hold and roll back a little. He's as stubborn as a donkey, and I've told him so many times to get the Ksig. Well, last time we played I gave him a sleeve to try out. The first hole he had a 35 yard pitch, landed near the hole, bit and spun back a few inches. Big smile, and he now knows what I'm talking about. Went right to Costco the next day and got 2 dozen. 

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST
3 wood: PING 425 Max
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Ping 54, Taylor made Hi toe wedges

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

7 hours ago, Pearson10M said:

I mid-handicap golfer and was playing Top-Flite D2+ feels and thought they were pretty good for my skill level as I was learning the good striking techniques.  I liked the D2+ Feels, because I could get them for $0.50 a ball, they were pretty durable and if I lost one, I wasn't too concerned.  As I got better, the # of balls that I lost decreased considerably.  Then Top-Flite stopped making the D2+ and replaced with the Hammer Controls which I found to be less durable as in the cover cut much more easily, sometimes only after a few iron or wedge hits. I tried the Gamer (3-Piece ball), same thing.  

After the poor results with the new TF varieties, I tried some Srixon Softfeels and the QStar Tours.  The Soft Feels performed well, but the cover was about as durable as the Top-Flights, maybe a tad better, but more costly.  The QStar Tours have a cast urethane coating and have survived 25 holes of play without and cuts or evidence of damage that I would consider unplayable.  At $32/dozen, they are pricey, but I did get 3 dozen for $64, but that is still $$$ for me.  the price isn't an issue until I lose one.

I am looking at the Callaway Supersofts (non-urethane coating) now as I tried to find a decent ball that won't break the bank and lasts.  I also found and tried some Spaulding Tour XD's and they did well in the durability department and played well but I can't find them at Walmart anymore.  They were $9/dozen and a 3-Piece urethane ball.

Has anyone found similar results that cast urethane coating balls are more durable than Surlyn or other Ionomer cover balls?  I know that the soft ionomer covers can be lower durability,  but in reality, how pronounced is it.

The supersofts are great balls. And the red is like looking into the goddamned sun.

Surlyn vs urethane not always comparable re durability. There are cheap thin urethanes that don't last and there are thick cast urethanes that don't last. There are surlyns that are like absolute rocks and there are surlyns that cut just as easily as anything.

A few years ago Bridgestone made a very thin urethane ball the E5. It was advertised to fly higher. At the time there were a few numbered E series balls that claimed different trajectories. The E5 was the thinnest urethane you've ever seen. Even a modest ss player such as myself would ruin them.

Some of the super cheap top flites are rock flites true to their heritage. The d2 feel was a great ball, shame it's gone.

Durable cheap urethane? Snell. But unless you buy a ton the price point doesn't help you much.

Costco 3 piece? Not really a fan.

My pick is to go to a golf shop and experiment with whatever is on sale from last season.

The maxfli balls are worth a look too 

Last thing - I don't much lose balls anymore either. Kinda play old man golf keeping it (too) measurably in front of me.

If you're not losing a lot it might be time to try out the tour balls. See if it works for you.

You can also check places like lostballs.com & foundballs.com. You can get mint condition pro line balls pretty reasonable.

I’m hesitant to play used balls, so I buy  practice balls. They’re new balls that have some minor cosmetic defect that you usually can’t even see. I really like the Taylormade TP5. I’ve seen lots of 6 dozen go for as little as $104 on Ebay, although I ended up paying more for the 6 dz I got recently, (should have been more patient), still around $2.00/ball. For a while I was seeing a lot of 6 dozen white TP5 practice for $130.00 including shipping. Thats less than $22/dz for top line tour level balls.

• Like 1

I can't say I've ever noticed any durability issues with the $20-$30/doz surlyn balls. I don't play urethane because I'm still good to lose 3-4 balls per round off the tee, and I've also tried comparisons around the green and I notice very little difference in performance. I'm not a high speed swinger by any means, and prefer the lower compression feel & cost. I honestly can't recall ever discarding a ball due to cover issues or concerns among the DUO, e6 or e12, Q Star, etc. 

Before teeing off on the 11th par 5 over a lake at West Sayville Golf Club in West Sayville, NY I looked at my Ksig 3.2 I've been playing the previous 10 holes and only notices a minor scuff from 2-3 bunker shots.  I then proceeded to duck hook my tee shot into the lake.  There goes my 18 hole $1.00 ball durability test. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

There was a time when I thought even with a high handicap that premium balls wouldn’t make a big difference. I’ve since learned I was wrong. I have a high spin shot most times so the urethane really grabs the greens for me. I found them to tolerate mis-hits betters as well. I personally love the TP5 and buy the practice balls at $20 per dozen. If I can find them, I’ll also play Q-Star Tour or Z-Star when I get get the $10 for 6. I am not good enough to play full price. But for only a few dollars above mid-grade balls, I’ll play these premiums every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ihocky2 said:

There was a time when I thought even with a high handicap that premium balls wouldn’t make a big difference. I’ve since learned I was wrong. I have a high spin shot most times so the urethane really grabs the greens for me. I found them to tolerate mis-hits betters as well. I personally love the TP5 and buy the practice balls at $20 per dozen. If I can find them, I’ll also play Q-Star Tour or Z-Star when I get get the $10 for 6. I am not good enough to play full price. But for only a few dollars above mid-grade balls, I’ll play these premiums every time.

$20 dozen for TP5 practice is a great price. Best  I’ve been able to do is $24-28, all in inc. tax & shipping. Love the TP5 as well👍

10 minutes ago, HyzerFlipDG said:

what are you guys doing that you are tearing up the cover of a Hammer Control? I played that ball all last year, with a few soft feels and qstar tour rounds, and I never had issues with the cover except when hitting out of bunkers sometimes.  

The HC cuts when I hit anything 7 or higher.  I would say roughly 20% of the time, the cover cuts.  Same with the non-urethane Gamer.  Compared to the D2+ Feel, for me, I see a huge difference in durability   Out of bunkers, the % increase, but I don't know how high.  I even have had them cut during a Tee shot (rare).

I still have a box of the of D2+ Feels.  The next time I play, I'll do a side by side to see if I am imagining it.  

I was exclusively TF D2 Feel, Diablo Tour and any 2 pc Surlyn ball on sale player until last year when KSig 3.2 came out.  Between my future son-in-law kissing up to me and my buying addiction I had 8 dozen before I knew it.  I loved PV1 but could never afford to play them unless I used my Fathers Day gifted box, etc....  Then I got TP5 and TP5x (6 doz each) in a "fire sale" for super cheap.  Now my son has 3--15 ct. boxes of D2 Feels and 3 dozen Diablo Tours to play with.  LOL.   I am now super spoiled with the urethane balls.  I need to get a third job to pay for them when I have to buy more balls in about 10 years.