Installing ribbed grip on slightly open face

I tend to have a strong grip, always have.  Sometimes I tend to end up unintentionally closing the face a bit because of the stronger grip.  I was thinking about tossing some ribs under my grips and instead of installing the rib at 6 0'clock installing around 5/530 in order to continue with my "normal" grip and square the face instead of slightly close.

Thoughts? 

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w PROformance 65g X Shaft

Fairway Wood: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14* w PROformance 80g X Shaft tipped 1 inch
Irons:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
             Tommy Armour Silver Scot Blades 4-9 w AWT 2.0 X Shaft                      
Wedges:  Vokey SM6 - 46*, 52*, 56*   SM7 - 60* w AWT 2.0 X and AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex shafts

Grips:  Awaiting delivery...
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1 Flow Neck w Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33.75" w Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
Ball:  Kirkland Signature V3.2

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree to disagree 

Disagree.  I have large hands and used ribbed GP TV standard for years, then switched to GP TV ALIGN when they were introduced, been using them since.  I work the ball both ways, but straight most of

Ideally you'll be blowing them on. Because I think there will be some trial and error to get it just right.   But yeah, I think totally the idea of ribbed grips is to give yourself the best

Ideally you'll be blowing them on. Because I think there will be some trial and error to get it just right.

But yeah, I think totally the idea of ribbed grips is to give yourself the best chance of getting the clubface square without having to think about it. I doubt that means exactly 6:00 o'clock for most people and having it in the wrong place kind of defeats the purpose. 

• Like 1

Lots of people install Ribbed grips slightly off 6 o'clock center.  I wouldn't do it with individual Ribs, as they could easily move at the most inopportune time.  I have used TV standard ribbed grips for 30yrs, but current grips are TV Align.

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX
4 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Lots of people install Ribbed grips slightly off 6 o'clock center.  I wouldn't do it with individual Ribs, as they could easily move at the most inopportune time.  I have used TV standard ribbed grips for 30yrs, but current grips are TV Align.

I tried the MCC Align ones when they first came out. Like the Align rib, unfortunately they were only MCC grips which I hate (slick feeling in the bottom hand, wear quickly, kind of ugly looking). 

I am thiiiiiis close to giving the Tour Velvet Align a chance. It's a pain to get the rib on straight and correctly lined up but it would be worth it with Tour Velvet since they don't wear out after 75 rounds. 

Typically, I replace my grips about every 6-7 months.  However, haven't had any problems with TV standard Align wear.  They seem to be lasting longer than my old TV standard Ribbed. 

I have GP CP2 Pro standard +3 on D & 4wd, and LW, SW, PW, and GP TV Align + 3 on 9i-3i

• SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX
2 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Typically, I replace my grips about every 6-7 months.  However, haven't had any problems with TV standard Align wear.  They seem to be lasting longer than my old TV standard Ribbed. 

I have GP CP2 Pro standard +3 on D & 4wd, and LW, SW, PW, and GP TV Align + 3 on 9i-3i

A new club I just bought is going to come with a TV Align on it. I'll let you know how I like once the club arrives and I try it out. 

The Align grips are for me and most people far easier to feel than any (legal) ribbed grips. In fact, that was Golf Pride's design brief when coming up with the Align. They wanted something that was more pronounced than a reminder rib of the maximum size allowed by USGA/R&A. They went back and forth several times with USGA until they found a design that was easier to feel but still allowable. 

I suppose I'm not surprised there's someone, somewhere who finds them less noticeable than reminder ribs. Or maybe some people put larger than allowable reminder ribs? 

1 minute ago, North Butte said:

The Align grips are for me and most people far easier to feel than any (legal) ribbed grips. In fact, that was Golf Pride's design brief when coming up with the Align. They wanted something that was more pronounced than a reminder rib of the maximum size allowed by USGA/R&A. They went back and forth several times with USGA until they found a design that was easier to feel but still allowable. 

I suppose I'm not surprised there's someone, somewhere who finds them less noticeable than reminder ribs. Or maybe some people put larger than allowable reminder ribs? 

I measured a lot of the old GP ribbed grips (in and around year 2000) and I found that the rib was often exceeding the USGA limit even though GP says they didn't.  Then, just a few years before the Align came out, GP changed the rib design to a much smaller rib on grips like the BCT cords.  Very noticeable.  The Align "feel" more pronounced because they are now external and I like the design.  Much easier to get them lined up a few degrees off the 6 o'clock position.  I do it by feel, but I'm likely around 10º off the center to combat a draw.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

8 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I’m a ribbed grip fanatic. The traditional ribbed grips like the TV .58x I mentioned have a much sharper feel. The Align tech uses a wider rib made of a different rubber material so it accomplishes sensitivity in a different way than traditional ribbed grips. I also note that the Aligns come in .60 and not .58. The latter makes the grip slightly larger and on the shaft, which I think adds to the sharper rib feel.

Just now, Socrates said:

I measured a lot of the old GP ribbed grips (in and around year 2000) and I found that the rib was often exceeding the USGA limit even though GP says they didn't.  Then, just a few years before the Align came out, GP changed the rib design to a much smaller rib on grips like the BCT cords.  Very noticeable.  The Align "feel" more pronounced because they are now external and I like the design.  Much easier to get them lined up a few degrees off the 6 o'clock position.  I do it by feel, but I'm likely around 10º off the center to combat a draw.

Yes, exactly. The article I read back then said USGA had cracked down on the reminder grips and Golf Pride had to scramble to find something that would satisfy people looking for a bigger rib than USGA was going to allow. I think they succeeded. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

I’m a ribbed grip fanatic. The traditional ribbed grips like the TV .58x I mentioned have a much sharper feel. The Align tech uses a wider rib made of a different rubber material so it accomplishes sensitivity in a different way than traditional ribbed grips. I also note that the Aligns come in .60 and not .58. The latter makes the grip slightly larger and on the shaft, which I think adds to the sharper rib feel.

If you find a set of irons from the early 2000's with original Tour Wrap .58's on them, the rib is way over the limit.  Those were the cat's a** when it comes to ribbed grips.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

33 minutes ago, Socrates said:

If you find a set of irons from the early 2000's with original Tour Wrap .58's on them, the rib is way over the limit.  Those were the cat's a** when it comes to ribbed grips.

I put those on my Titleist DCI’s and loved them. By the time I upgraded to DCI 990 the ribbed Tour Wrap must have been discontinued. Or at least I could not find any. 

Best. Grips. Ever. 

If you want to install a rib for yourself with a round grip get a roll of 1/8" masking tape.

Set the club in the vise with the face open or closed to your preference.  Take a length of masking tape and put it on the underside of the shaft butt at the 6 o'clock position.  One strip.  Then turn the club over in vice so that the strip is at the 12 o'clock position and add any amount more strips on top of the first one.  

You may want to take note of whether or not it may conform to the USGA rules re deviation from round of not more that .040"  

17 hours ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

Align doesn’t do much. You need real ribbed grips like Tour Velvet .58x, or the rib kit sold by Golfworks 

Disagree.  I have large hands and used ribbed GP TV standard for years, then switched to GP TV ALIGN when they were introduced, been using them since.  I work the ball both ways, but straight most of the time.  ALIGN grips do exactly what they are supposed to do, CLUB-FACE AWARENESS, and its done better than the old Ribbed grips.  The rib makes it easy and almost relaxing to adjust my grip, off 6 o'clock, to move the ball either way.

• Like 2
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

Using the Golfworks ribs (or a ribbed grip) - give it a try at 12 o'clock.... so directly on top of the shaft. Easy to set club square in a vice and then apply the rib consistently at that Top position.

This then allows you to monitor/feel the clubface from where that rib sits in the V of your left hand  - works very nicely for  me (as I tend to grip with the face a bit closed, maybe due to being left eye dominant)... and I can use Bestgrips leather grips with the reminder rib installed underneath it (and the grip on upside down so the stitching is on top too).

Yeah. I ended up somewhere about 515… very nice results thus far. I did my irons 2-9 and wedges 46,52.  My other wedges and the woods I like to manipulate to allow/assist with different shots. 

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w PROformance 65g X Shaft

Fairway Wood: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14* w PROformance 80g X Shaft tipped 1 inch
Irons:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
             Tommy Armour Silver Scot Blades 4-9 w AWT 2.0 X Shaft                      
Wedges:  Vokey SM6 - 46*, 52*, 56*   SM7 - 60* w AWT 2.0 X and AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex shafts

Grips:  Awaiting delivery...
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1 Flow Neck w Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33.75" w Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
Ball:  Kirkland Signature V3.2

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite