2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The 5-iron blues

Any tips for helping my junior improve on hitting his 5-iron?  It's a USKG TS3-57 with junior steel shaft and I think these are lofted at 27*.   Driver swing speed these days is in the low to mid 70's (72-76).  Basically, the 5-iron goes pretty much the same distance as his 6-iron (sometimes less) which is around 110-120 carry range depending on strike and trajectory.

Drills for long irons? Or he just needs to keep swinging?

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I would say you also need to check his clubs and shafts as that could be an issue if they're not correct. You mentioned he had USKG TS3-57 with junior steel shaft.  I would maybe ditch the steel shafts that could be causing an issue.

There really is no reason to use those shafts anymore there sort of obsolete.  Your better off getting graphite shafts for him even if that means adult heads.

I tried keeping my daughter in junior steel because  I was told to  buy only junior shafts and I learned the hard way it wasn't a good option. There often recommended by people who have no clue on how to fit a junior. US Kids should not even sell them with steel shafts.

It also could be swing speed but those shafts are heavy and you will pick up a few miles per hour with good graphite shafts and that may be enough to make a difference.

Edited by tiger1873

My daughter just recently switched to a 5iron after having a hybrid for 2 years.  She is almost 16 and about 90 lbs.  I think it was technique and strength.  Now uses the 5 iron on the fairway and hybrid in the rough.

My son never used a 4 or 5 when he first started.  It was a hybrid.  You don't wanna create scar tissue in the mind about hitting a club.  Negative thoughts creep in during a round.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Any tips for helping my junior improve on hitting his 5-iron?  It's a USKG TS3-57 with junior steel shaft and I think these are lofted at 27*.   Driver swing speed these days is in the low to mid 70's (72-76).  Basically, the 5-iron goes pretty much the same distance as his 6-iron (sometimes less) which is around 110-120 carry range depending on strike and trajectory.

Drills for long irons? Or he just needs to keep swinging?

Get the loft checked.  My guess it has nothing to do with his swing or speed.  The quality control of these companies are terrible.  Even the Adult OEM's such as Callaway, TM, Cobra, Mizuno are all terrible.  Ping is probably the best.  Had custom club come in from Wilson and not one loft or lie angle was correct.  Had Clubs come in from Callaway and had to bend every one to proper MANUFACTURER stock lofts.  Just had Cobra Forged Tec come in and every loft was 3-4 degrees strong from Manufacturer standard specs.  Everyone should always check the lofts and lie angles.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 4

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

1 hour ago, darter79 said:

Most kids at that age and speed flat out can't hit a 5i. Longer irons take more time to develop. That said I'd first see if can hit it off a tee with good success? Have you tired different ball positions? Moving that element around helps my kid. When her setup gets bad that leads to bad longer irons. 

Yes, he can hit the 5-iron off the tee with good success.  I read last night that hitting these troublesome long irons off the tee on the range may help develop the swing.  If anything, his nemesis with longer irons/fairways is to stop rotating/stall and flip a little.

44 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Get the loft checked.  My guess it has nothing to do with his swing or speed.  The quality control of these companies are terrible.  Even the Adult OEM's such as Callaway, TM, Cobra, Mizuno are all terrible.  Ping is probably the best.  Had custom club come in from Wilson and not one loft or lie angle was correct.  Had Clubs come in from Callaway and had to bend every one to proper MANUFACTURER stock lofts.  Just had Cobra Forged Tec come in and every loft was 3-4 degrees strong from Manufacturer standard specs.  Everyone should always check the lofts and lie angles.

This I would have no doubt that lofts could be off. Can you get these cast clubs bent?  Not sure my local golf mart would want to even try. I'll have to see what they say.

11 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

Yes, he can hit the 5-iron off the tee with good success.  I read last night that hitting these troublesome long irons off the tee on the range may help develop the swing.  If anything, his nemesis with longer irons/fairways is to stop rotating/stall and flip a little.

This I would have no doubt that lofts could be off. Can you get these cast clubs bent?  Not sure my local golf mart would want to even try. I'll have to see what they say.

They can move them a couple of degrees.  If they have someone good at bending they will get it done.  Cobra Forged Tec is a forged face with cast iron body.  We wanted it 1 degree weak from Stock Loft.  It came in 4 degrees strong so had to move 5 degrees.  It snapped in half.  It is definitely a risk.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

My son would lose a few shots each round using a 5i so with the advise of his coach we swapped out the 5i for a 5h and its been great.  The hybrid is much more consistent, flies higher, and easy to control.  

Which hybrid did you go with?

3 hours ago, wildcatden said:

You can't bend USKG clubs. I would not try it. That will snap very quickly. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, mrshinsa said:

We went through the exact same thing.  

At that age, my son was not swinging fast enough to create enough gap between the 5 and 6.  

We swapped the 5i with a 5h, and problem solved.

Best trade I made (thanks to golf club whisperer @darter79) was ditching the TS3 6i for ladies SZ 7h  in my daughter’s set.  She never had a 5i, rolled with a ladies SB 5h since Christmas.  The two hybrid setup is working for her.

Edited by MB19
  • Like 3

The average woman has a speed issue.  Callaway's set for women has a driver, 3W, 5H, 6H, 7I, 8I, 9I, PW, SW, and putter.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/complete-sets/compsets-2018-solaire-11-piece.html

I also have a speed issue, so my set is a high lofted driver, 6H, 7W, 7I, 9I, PW, SW, and putter.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up an old Hogan Edge CFT 5H (27*) with Apex Edge graphite shaft in senior flex (2) for $10 at the local Play it Again. Cut that down to 36" finished club length and slapped a Lamkin junior grip on it.   Worked great right away. Thanks all for the inputs.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I wanted to follow up on this thread for others.  For Christmas, I ended up getting my now 11YO the TM SIM2 Max 5H with Ventus Blue shaft in A-Flex (senior flex).  Did even bother to cut it down or change the grip to undersize/ladies/junior.  I'm just going to keep the club as-is and let him grow into it even more.

So far, as recommended above in this thread, that club is money$.  Launches great. Nice high, but penetrating flight.  Highly recommend.

Edited by wildcatden
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 8:05 PM, wildcatden said:

I wanted to follow up on this thread for others.  For Christmas, I ended up getting my now 11YO the TM SIM2 Max 5H with Ventus Blue shaft in A-Flex (senior flex).  Did even bother to cut it down or change the grip to undersize/ladies/junior.  I'm just going to keep the club as-is and let him grow into it even more.

So far, as recommended above in this thread, that club is money$.  Launches great. Nice high, but penetrating flight.  Highly recommend.

Don't forget to upgrade to the Stealth Rescue.  This thing is even better than the Sim 2 in every way.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Drill for 5i is relatively the same as the rest of the irons.  He needs to keep at it and maybe pay closer attention to where the ball is in his setup. 

FYI lots of adults have the same 5i is the same distance as 6i.  When that's the case, often hybrid replacement heads with lighter weight shafts are a possible solution.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x