Taylormade MyRoundPro

I've played two rounds with this app. Surprisingly its pretty good. Shots gained stats against various handicap levels. Lots of traditional stats too. Shot tracking. All for free. Why is this not a more popular app, especially since it is completely free? What are the downsides against paid apps like Golf Shot, 18 Birdies, The Grint? What am I missing here? What is Taylormade getting out of providing this app free?

Edited by Luv2kruz

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Luv2kruz said:

I've played two rounds with this app. Surprisingly its pretty good. Shots gained stats against various handicap levels. Lots of traditional stats too. Shot tracking. All for free. Why is this not a more popular app, especially since it is completely free? What are the downsides against paid apps like Golf Shot, 18 Birdies, The Grint? What am I missing here? What is Taylormade getting out of providing this app free?

I also recently used this app for 2 rounds. My biggest complaint is its inaccuracy around the green and on the putting green. This is after I edit the hole location. Now, there is limitation on GPS accuracy so there is only so much an app can do in term of accuracy. 

For tee to green shots accuracy, it is comparable to other apps. 

In summary, this app's biggest draw to me is its ability to track shots around the green and on the putting surface. However, due to GPS limitation, that functionality is pretty subpar. The rest of app is comparable to other apps.

30 minutes ago, Medson said:

I also recently used this app for 2 rounds. My biggest complaint is its inaccuracy around the green and on the putting green. This is after I edit the hole location. Now, there is limitation on GPS accuracy so there is only so much an app can do in term of accuracy. 

For tee to green shots accuracy, it is comparable to other apps. 

In summary, this app's biggest draw to me is its ability to track shots around the green and on the putting surface. However, due to GPS limitation, that functionality is pretty subpar. The rest of app is comparable to other apps.

Agreed about the accuracy around the green, but as you said, that will be true of other apps as well. For my normal app, I just pace off the putts and manually enter the distance anyway, so there is no difference here. 

I realized towards the end of the second round that you can manually enter the distance of any shot when you touch the 'bubble' pointer of the shot. A menu comes up where you can reorder the shot in the first box, manually type in the distance to the pin the second box, change the lie of the shot in the third box (tee, fairway, bunker, hazard, recovery, rough, green - normal/difficult) and change the club in the last box. I was struggling to move the little bubble visually on the green to get a 2 ft putt and it was frustrating. Now that I figured out manual entry in the boxes, it is much easier. And if I laser a distance and the GPS is different, then I just override with what the laser indicated. 

Again, aside from the manual entry of the putts, the app is pretty comparable (if not even better) to paid versions of other apps and way better than any other free one. 

Anyone else know why Taylormade is just giving this away for free? I assumed it was for advertising, but when you sign up, you can uncheck the box for sending you promo info, so I don't see the benefit if they are not able to send you advertising. 

3 minutes ago, Luv2kruz said:

Agreed about the accuracy around the green, but as you said, that will be true of other apps as well. For my normal app, I just pace off the putts and manually enter the distance anyway, so there is no difference here. 

I realized towards the end of the second round that you can manually enter the distance of any shot when you touch the 'bubble' pointer of the shot. A menu comes up where you can reorder the shot in the first box, manually type in the distance to the pin the second box, change the lie of the shot in the third box (tee, fairway, bunker, hazard, recovery, rough, green - normal/difficult) and change the club in the last box. I was struggling to move the little bubble visually on the green to get a 2 ft putt and it was frustrating. Now that I figured out manual entry in the boxes, it is much easier. And if I laser a distance and the GPS is different, then I just override with what the laser indicated. 

Again, aside from the manual entry of the putts, the app is pretty comparable (if not even better) to paid versions of other apps and way better than any other free one. 

Oh, it is good to know about the manual edits! Let me play with it a little bit more this weekend. (I was literally going to delete it before I saw your post.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that Taylormade gets your data for free. And data, in this age, is worth a lot. One famous saying is ""If You're Not Paying for It, You're the Product."

I just downloaded this and it looks promising. Ive had 18birdies and am currently using grint. I like grint for handicap but accuracy seems pretty bad with gps and stats are lacking. I manually entered a round into myroundpro, and was impressed with the statistical analysis. Have yet to test the gps but use a rangefinder on the course most the time so thats not a dealbreaker to me. Ill say it takes a bit of practice to get used to the interface and layout. That can be frustrating but once you get it down, it seems fine. 

I have been using this for about 15 rounds and I just track all of my data on the scorecard and enter it in after the round, which I have found easier than to try to use the gps feature.  Only takes about 10 minutes once you get used to it.

The data seems great for a free app and very satisfied and have no desire to try something else.  Have also wondered why this isn’t more popular since it is free.  Anything else seems to have a subscription or price and isn’t any better.

6 hours ago, Lumpy930 said:

I have been using this for about 15 rounds and I just track all of my data on the scorecard and enter it in after the round, which I have found easier than to try to use the gps feature.  Only takes about 10 minutes once you get used to it.

The data seems great for a free app and very satisfied and have no desire to try something else.  Have also wondered why this isn’t more popular since it is free.  Anything else seems to have a subscription or price and isn’t any better.

If you aren't using GPS features, how do you know how far your ball went?

This is what I wish I could do in this app. 

• For tee to green shots, I can use the app as is. GPS is great. 
  • For around the green & putting, I wish I can directly enter into a scoreboard page. Since I pace my putts, I can just directly enter the number into the app. Right now, I have to do this "moving the pin", which is annoying and incorrect. 

5 hours ago, Medson said:
  • For around the green & putting, I wish I can directly enter into a scoreboard page. Since I pace my putts, I can just directly enter the number into the app. Right now, I have to do this "moving the pin", which is annoying and incorrect. 

Here's what I do to make entering putts easier. I first move the pin to the the approximate location on the green, which the app prompts as the first step and is straight forward. Then I roughly place the first putt close to where it was. For the closer putts, which I found harder to get right, I actually put it somewhere in an open space on the green and don't care what the distance is at first. When I enter the correct number of putts and press done, I go back and tap the putts I want to get 'more correct' (which is usually the closer ones). When I press the icon for the putt and menu pops and I put in the distance I want for the putt into the distance box and and the app creates a circle around the pin for that distance. I simply move the putt again to where it was in relation to the pin, but the circle locks in the distance and it no longer free floats. This method made it easier to enter in the close putts, which my fat fingers had a hard time doing before. Once get used to it, it goes faster, but the key is to just put the putts in an open spot which makes them easy to touch and move later. If you try to put them too close to the pin, they are harder to touch and correct. Hope this helps. 

On 7/4/2021 at 2:48 AM, Medson said:

Exactly. They should just let us enter the distance. GPS around the green is simply not accurate enough. 

Most consumer GPS embedded in cell phones are not accurate enough for almost any app around or on the green. They simply do not have the technological capability to measure that accurately, even on good days. I read most are only accurate to only +/-15ft, which would make strokes gained data highly suspect. I think Taylormade knew this when they developed the app and that's why the manual entry of putts. That being said, I agree that they could improve the process to enter the putt data. What they have now is cumbersome. But for free, it works for me just fine and I can live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

i actually just realized after playing four rounds with it that you are supposed to enter the shot when you take it rather than from where you hit it from the tees? for example, i would walk to my tee shot, add a driver shot and it would say the lie is from the tee, but i guess it was then tracking the distance to my next shot? i was wondering how the drives i thought i smashed ended up being ~200 yards etc. 

Between using my rangefinder and manually filling my scorecard, I end up using this app only to confirm distances from tee to fairway bunkers or hazards. 

It's too cumbersome, the lag is annoying and I hate having to unlock my phone every time.

It's a very well made app, but you soon realize why it's offered for free.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've played 10 rounds with this app and have a good sense of what it can and can't do. Here are the major weaknesses that I see so far:

1. It only gives you a snapshot of your game. Is doesn't provide any kind of trend analysis to show whether you are getting better, same or worse in any category. This a big weakness in my view. 
  2. The putting analysis is weak. Just some make percentages side be side against your benchmark from various distance ranges along with number of times that you putt from those ranges (which is kind of useless). The graphic they use to present the data is hard to read. Strokes gained by distance range is the only good part.
  3. As mentioned above, entering your putts can be a little finicky at the beginning, but once you get past the learning curve, it is pretty straight forward and simple. I've developed a method to make it simple. 
  4. If you forget to mark your shot, sometimes the app will not let you correct the error until you are far away from that hole. The GPS keeps marking the spot where you are for the previous shot and won't let you manually move it. Only when you are not on the hole can you then go back and manually enter that shot. 

Regardless of the above, some of the other analysis like the breakdown of shots gained short game and approach shots is actually pretty informative and well laid out. So regardless of the weaknesses, its still a pretty good app, especially since it is free. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another little bug that I found is that the app can't seem to do math. Hit the driver really well today and the stats told me that my average driving distance was 297 yards. I wish. When I manually calculated the average driver distance for the 11 times I hit driver, it came out to 280 yards. 

Also, even though I hit a number of 'recovery' shots where I punched an 8 iron out from under some trees, it still included them in my average distance for that club, despite labelling them at 'recovery' shots and them not being full shots. I guess it would eventually move my average down a slight bit over a long time, but they really shouldn't be included in those kinds of calculations. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 6:38 PM, Luv2kruz said:

Another little bug that I found is that the app can't seem to do math. Hit the driver really well today and the stats told me that my average driving distance was 297 yards. I wish. When I manually calculated the average driver distance for the 11 times I hit driver, it came out to 280 yards. 

Also, even though I hit a number of 'recovery' shots where I punched an 8 iron out from under some trees, it still included them in my average distance for that club, despite labelling them at 'recovery' shots and them not being full shots. I guess it would eventually move my average down a slight bit over a long time, but they really shouldn't be included in those kinds of calculations. 

Agree that recovery shots don't belong in most of the data summaries.

IMO this is the best of the gps / tracking apps to date.

Strokes gained / lost data by shot and distance is awesome

• 7 months later...

So how am I supposed to complete my putting? It does not add the last putt to my score, but when j finish the round it says I made the right number of putts. Say I 2 putt for par, i place my first putt down then hit finish and it placed me at -1, but then it still says I had 2 putts when I finish. What am I doing wrong?