PXG Fitting

dcfball88

Hey guys- got a PXG fitting today, wanted to bounce my fitting experience off the community and get your thoughts. Fitting done with a PXG fitter at a place called the golf zone in the Philly suburbs.

To set the stage, I came in expecting to buy irons. Since I was making a large purchase, I figured I’d at least go hit the clubs off grass first, make sure I liked them. I am currently gaming PXG irons.

Off the bat, the fitter was wrapping up with someone else as I came over. There was no data being gathered in that fitting. I said hey, I was hoping to see some numbers for my fitting. He said ‘oh yeah no problem I can get the Trackman out.’ I thought it odd he wasn’t already using it.

I go to hit some baseline balls. The grass hitting area was slanted up (uphill lie), and the grass was like grass in my backyard- like rough. Not fairway grass or tee box grass or short fringe grass. So the long grass is getting trapped between the club head and the ball. I’m wondering, how am I going to get decent numbers hitting fliers out of the rough on an uphill lie?. It was difficult hitting balls out of the rough for 45 minutes.

After about 40 minutes of hitting true temper elevate 95 shafts, I asked why we weren’t trying the other shaft options- Nippon Modus3 and and DG. He said oh, those are all on back order, taking a long time to get them in. I was like ok, well can I hit them? I’m at a fitting... Sure! He fished around in a staff bag full of random shafts and pulled out a modus 105. And then it hit me- he was steering me away from those other shafts because of the lead time for orders. I asked for a modus 120s- IMO one of the more popular shafts around today. One that I have in many of my iron sets. ‘Oh, uh, I don’t have that in stiff. No clue why I don’t have one.’ Ummm.... what? So I got about 10 minutes at the tail end of a fitting to try ONE upgraded shaft option- DG S300. The other (modus 120) I couldn’t even try. 

I asked about getting fitted for length and lie. ‘Oh, you don’t need longer clubs, most people don’t. And where you hit on the face tells me if you need the lies up or down.’ Really? Every other fitting I’ve been to they used club angle numbers to fit lie, and they fit me for length. Neither was part of my fitting today. So, he really didn’t take any specs? The ‘specs’ were clubhead and shaft, and that’s it.

So my question is, is this normal for PXG? I paid $50 for the “fitting”, btw. Needless to say I walked away without ordering....curious to know your thoughts- thanks!

• Sad 3

None of that sounds good, especially for a company that markets the way PXG does.  I think you might consider letting the company know about this guy; he's operating WAY outside the fitting parameters that are acceptable for ANY company, especially PXG.

Really, at this point why there would be such a thing as a "fitting" without Trackman is sort of beyond me.  And a club fitter that has it available on site but isn't using it?  I'm walking.

But the real killer, of course, is the idea of an iron fitting that doesn't START with lie and length.  That comes before anything else, at least in my experience. 

The fitting world as I get more into it is really confusing to me. You watch places like TXG, that have pretty much anything on hand you’d want to try, coupled with a seemingly pretty in depth approach to how all factors of equipment can affect performance and you wonder how is this not the standard? How is it that 97% of the places I’ve ever been “fit” go like you describe. Poor fitting conditions, lack of options, having to ASK the “fitter” to try something else? How is this the standard? Unfortunately your experience sounds “normal” but it isn’t good 

Paradym 💎 💎 💎 10.5* AD VR 6tx

TSR 3 16.5* AD VR 7tx

TSR 2 21* AD IZ 7s

T100 4-5 Project X LZ

680MB 6-P Project X LZ

MG3 54 and 60

C&L CL2

39 minutes ago, Hattie Pants said:

The fitting world as I get more into it is really confusing to me. You watch places like TXG, that have pretty much anything on hand you’d want to try, coupled with a seemingly pretty in depth approach to how all factors of equipment can affect performance and you wonder how is this not the standard? How is it that 97% of the places I’ve ever been “fit” go like you describe. Poor fitting conditions, lack of options, having to ASK the “fitter” to try something else? How is this the standard? Unfortunately your experience sounds “normal” but it isn’t good 

I think the answer to this is, as it has ALWAYS been, that the competence and diligence and interest of the guy doing the fitting is paramount in the process.  The difference between a guy whose primary goal is to just sell clubs or get home as soon as possible vs. a guy who not only really understands the process but really CARES is night and day.

I've only used fitted clubs for many, many years now, and I was lucky to stumble into good guys early on.  But I had one session that was bad, and bought the wrong driver as a result, and that changed my views of the process forever, I think.  I don't go to demo days at my club anymore, and I don't do a fitting with anybody that I don't know a LOT about, either from personal experience or from referrals that I really trust.

A really good fitting session is not only a ton of fun, but really confidence inspiring in the clubs that you get out of it.  A good club fitter is just really interested in seeing what happens as he tweaks heads and shafts, not to mention length and lie angle, and a really good session can last an hour or more.  A guy who is just selling clubs just isn't going to take that kind of time.

Would also recommend to report this guy to PXG.

I get it, that we are current facing a supply chain issue like no other, where many components are not available. That being said for a brand as PXG, which prides itself in custom fit clubs, there is absolutely no excuse for the experience you have had

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, MMT 125 TX

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, MMT 125 TX

TaylorMade MG2 50, 56@55, 60, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

My PXG fitting experience is first class all the way,  all the clubs,  shafts, upgrade shafts may be more limited.   Plus it is free.

Did you contact your fitter through the PXG website? 

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

2 hours ago, shaolingolfer said:

My PXG fitting experience is first class all the way,  all the clubs,  shafts, upgrade shafts may be more limited.   Plus it is free.

Did you contact your fitter through the PXG website? 

The upfront part was great! I called the number. Pxg HQ set me up with the appt in philly. My fitter calls me day before to talk it over. I said I know what heads I want, looking to really be fit for shafts, and dial in my lie angle. 

when I got there, I wasn’t surprised, but the fitter did not remember that conversation at all. Which is fine- I didn’t really expect him to, if were being honest. Even if it was the day before. Cause he deals with a lot people. 

On 6/26/2021 at 1:59 AM, dcfball88 said:

Hey guys- got a PXG fitting today, wanted to bounce my fitting experience off the community and get your thoughts. Fitting done with a PXG fitter at a place called the golf zone in the Philly suburbs.

To set the stage, I came in expecting to buy irons. Since I was making a large purchase, I figured I’d at least go hit the clubs off grass first, make sure I liked them. I am currently gaming PXG irons.

Off the bat, the fitter was wrapping up with someone else as I came over. There was no data being gathered in that fitting. I said hey, I was hoping to see some numbers for my fitting. He said ‘oh yeah no problem I can get the Trackman out.’ I thought it odd he wasn’t already using it.

I go to hit some baseline balls. The grass hitting area was slanted up (uphill lie), and the grass was like grass in my backyard- like rough. Not fairway grass or tee box grass or short fringe grass. So the long grass is getting trapped between the club head and the ball. I’m wondering, how am I going to get decent numbers hitting fliers out of the rough on an uphill lie?. It was difficult hitting balls out of the rough for 45 minutes.

After about 40 minutes of hitting true temper elevate 95 shafts, I asked why we weren’t trying the other shaft options- Nippon Modus3 and and DG. He said oh, those are all on back order, taking a long time to get them in. I was like ok, well can I hit them? I’m at a fitting... Sure! He fished around in a staff bag full of random shafts and pulled out a modus 105. And then it hit me- he was steering me away from those other shafts because of the lead time for orders. I asked for a modus 120s- IMO one of the more popular shafts around today. One that I have in many of my iron sets. ‘Oh, uh, I don’t have that in stiff. No clue why I don’t have one.’ Ummm.... what? So I got about 10 minutes at the tail end of a fitting to try ONE upgraded shaft option- DG S300. The other (modus 120) I couldn’t even try. 

I asked about getting fitted for length and lie. ‘Oh, you don’t need longer clubs, most people don’t. And where you hit on the face tells me if you need the lies up or down.’ Really? Every other fitting I’ve been to they used club angle numbers to fit lie, and they fit me for length. Neither was part of my fitting today. So, he really didn’t take any specs? The ‘specs’ were clubhead and shaft, and that’s it.

So my question is, is this normal for PXG? I paid $50 for the “fitting”, btw. Needless to say I walked away without ordering....curious to know your thoughts- thanks!

Sorry to hear you had a crappy experience.. but also kind of glad you posted. I was hoping to do the same thing at the same place, but was curious if anyone had success there or not. After hearing this, I think I will wait until I go to Florida in the fall as they have more fitters available. 

On 6/26/2021 at 8:35 AM, Nevek said:

Would also recommend to report this guy to PXG.

I get it, that we are current facing a supply chain issue like no other, where many components are not available. That being said for a brand as PXG, which prides itself in custom fit clubs, there is absolutely no excuse for the experience you have had

Agree with this. I have had 5 PXG fittings and all have been outstanding. Bob would not like to hear about a scrub fitter. I would report him.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 6/26/2021 at 7:42 AM, Hattie Pants said:

Money. It's far more overhead to have a TXG shaft wall and drawers full of heads than it is to just get the OEM fitting carts

Just wanted to say thanks guys- this has helped reinforce what I had been thinking, and (unfortunately) adds to my disappointment hearing that others had awesome fittings.  Oh well, IIWII.  I've called PXG 3 times so far, my initial call Friday immediately after the fitting, plus two follow-ups.  Nobody has reached back out to me.  C'est la vie I guess!  😞

8 hours ago, dcfball88 said:

Update: PXG reached out to me- we are going to do take two on the fitting at a different location with a different fitter. Appreciate your comments- thanks.

Good luck!  I'd bet that the second guy has gotten word about the first session, and is just as unhappy with that outcome as you are.  You'll get his best effort, which is the way it should ALWAYS be.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 10:59 PM, dcfball88 said:

Call PXG or send an email to Bob - he reads them. They will make it right 100%. This sounds like an AWEFUL experience - you gonna get a better fitting at freakin Roger Dunn.

Update to say that I had *THE* best re-fit with Joe in New Jersey. Best fitting I’ve done, and that includes True spec, club champion, and fitting days/demo days at my home club. Joe fit me for lie angle right away, moved to head and shaft combos, had everything available to hit, had the order windows for the shafts, and didn’t push me in any sort of direction. I was floored.

i imagine most fittings probably fall somewhere in a middle area between my first PXG attempt and my second, but holy cow Joe was good. If I got lucky, I’ll take that luck. But I think the area sales rep knew Joe was good and paired me with him  for that reason. Really couldn’t say enough about the Jersey PXG team. Looking forward to playing my new irons.

• Like 1

I had a great fitting day with PXG for a driver yesterday. The fitter finished by saying he couldn't improve on my current G410, it would have been nice to find some improvement but I'm much happier with the feedback I got than someone trying to make a sale when the improvement is not there. He also enthusiastically tried a LOT of different ideas, even after he said that from reviewing baseline data it was going to be a challenge to move the dial on

Edited by Pleasedwith3putts
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, dcfball88 said:

Update to say that I had *THE* best re-fit with Joe in New Jersey. Best fitting I’ve done, and that includes True spec, club champion, and fitting days/demo days at my home club. Joe fit me for lie angle right away, moved to head and shaft combos, had everything available to hit, had the order windows for the shafts, and didn’t push me in any sort of direction. I was floored.

i imagine most fittings probably fall somewhere in a middle area between my first PXG attempt and my second, but holy cow Joe was good. If I got lucky, I’ll take that luck. But I think the area sales rep knew Joe was good and paired me with him  for that reason. Really couldn’t say enough about the Jersey PXG team. Looking forward to playing my new irons.

Glad your second fitting went a lot better because the first fitting sounded awful. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dcfball88 said:

Glad it worked; this is the way it should ALWAYS be! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

I had a great fitting day with PXG for a driver yesterday. The fitter finished by saying he couldn't improve on my current G410, it would have been nice to find some improvement but I'm much happier with the feedback I got than someone trying to make a sale when the improvement is not there. He also enthusiastically tried a LOT of different ideas, even after he said that from reviewing baseline data it was going to be a challenge to move the dial on

I go into every fitting session with an understanding with the fitter that I am perfectly willing to pay his fitting fee to find out that I already have what's best.  That's almost never true, if only because the aging process is working hard on me (I'm 69) and because there are at least marginal improvements to be had, but I'm ok with the idea that a fitting will confirm the previous fitting.

When I lived in GA, the fitter I worked with (Ping) would tell me either "Don't bother" or "It's worth a try" when a new stuff came out, especially drivers.  Usually, at least two generations would pass before I got the "it's worth a try" signal.  But it built a lot of confidence to have a fitter tell me either "Don't bother" to come in, or at the session that I had the best fit already.

I've had a mixed bag on my PXG fittings...never bad but not as thorough as I would hope. I have come out with standard lie angles each time which were later adjusted by our head fitter at our club. Its interesting that they do not push the purchase on you but also do not seem to offer the expected options to draw you to make an informed purchase. I still have ended up with several PXG clubs though with all of that said - haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is who you get.  The best fitting experience i have ever had.  He had trackman running the whole time, but i really don't care about numbers.  I have played long enough to tell from flight if that was good (right traj, too much or not enough spin).  I looked up my guy on linked in, he's been a pga pro for 25 years, and recently ran club champions(big time golf store with a focus on fitting) in Sacramento for 10 years.    

First question he asks is, "tell me about your game, tell me what your looking to buy".  Start hitting with the stock (std lie and stock shaft).  He then hands me another one (2 degrees flat, same shaft, my miss is an overdraw with irons), hit that, asks me how it feels, and i like it heavier.  So we got the lie, now just shaft.  Narrow it down to 2.  Now he gives me the T head, which he see no issue with me hitting, but since i checked my ego at the door we go P head 5-gw.  

Then I say lets try a 4i hybrid.  My miss is right with the long clubs.  He sets it up for draw and knew i liked weight, but need to feel the kick in the middle of the shaft.  Gets it bang on!  Straight to baby cut, kaboo baby!

Then we go to the wedges, give me 2 degrees flat and we try a couple shaft, ends up with another heavy one DG 115 s.

My plan was to only buy those clubs, but after struggling for 2 years with the top of the bag (been playing irons only for 6 months), i say screw it and round it off with a x proto 19 hybrid, a 5 wood turned down to 16.5 after i said i don't like 3 woods due to head size, and a x proto driver. 

Long story short, its all about the person. 

My buddy got some pxg woods, and only a 4i and pw in the 0311s because he wanted to make sure it was right .  The guy fitted him in kbs tour 130 x.  He has good speed (175 mph ball speed), but not enough for those (pro SS those 1-2).  His fitter was just saying, "we need to get the flight down".  I asked him was he missing with a thin heel fade and a high toe draw, and of course he was(fade is from making a good swing not enough flex to close the face, and high toe draw is from compensating).  The fitter was more concerned about getting to "ideal" numbers versus fitting to quality misses, and for an individuals swing.  

If your fitter isn't trying to improve your bad and is only trying to maximize the good, walk away.  The saying on tour is "how good is your bad?".  That's what golf is.  It's about getting bogie vs triple when you hit a bad one.    

My advice is complain to pxg a bunch, post on your social, ect.  Settle for a free fitting, and  for half the cost of new shafts (i'm sure they can make the head work, start with free everything, but my sales experience says you won't get all free).   

Edited by NorCal678

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 10:59 PM, dcfball88 said:

Unfortunate. I had a great experience w pxg this week. Guy was informative and we tried everything.