2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Houston, San Antonio, Austin Recommendations

Bbo569

I am headed from SC to Texas next week for a family vacation.  We are in Houston from 7/4-7/7, San Antonio from 7/7-7/9, and then Austin from 7/9-7/11.  I have been given permission (you probably know how that goes) to disappear from the family group for 1 round of golf while out there.  We will be staying in various AirBnb's so I won't have access to any of the resort courses, but if you could only play one round at a course near one of these cities what would you recommend?  If anyone is looking to play let me know as well.  Happy to pay for anything and reciprocate hosting at my course in Columbia, SC as well if anyone wants to host me at their local course.  I am a 5 handicapper that likes to play fast.

Yeah you are gonna need to narrow this down a bit. Those are massive areas. Keep in mind based on your scheduling 7/7 will be pretty much shot due to travel from Houston to SA and realistically at least a half day shot on 7/9 maybe even more.

I would prob plan your round in Austin or SA as the public’s in those locations are better. Houston is mostly flat and does have some fun courses but I feel like hill country golf checks a unique box.

The La Cantera courses are fun and don’t require on site stays. The Resort course hosted the Texas open for quite some time and has some interesting elevation changes. The Palmer course is the better of the two IMO and provides a good example of hill country golf for a good price without having to shell out for a full on resort weekend.

Also in San Antonio is Brackenridge which is a classic urban layout by Tillinghast. Lots of love for that track around here.

Wolfdancer is good also although it is in Bastrop which is a pretty good drive out of central Austin. Most of the fun public’s in the Austin area require a resort stay. Omni Barton creek, horseshoe bay (a bit of a drive from central Austin as well) would be great choices if not for that.

• Like 1

Agree with above, Houston public golf is far inferior to the other cities you’re visiting. 

memorial park is a “pga course” with a nice layout but it is also 150 and currently in typically muni conditions. I love it for the $38 resident rate but would not pay 150.

The other houston public courses range from depressing to mediocre. 

Wilderness is worth playing but depending on where you’re staying could be quite the trek. 

• Like 1

If you're going to play one round per city, I'd go for Brackenridge, La Cantera Palmer, or maybe the Quarry in San Antonio. For Austin, I'd try to play Barton Creek - Fazio Foothills or Canyons. I think the Fazio Foothills is one of the best courses the public can go out and play. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Milled 7T CH

Titleist Pro V1

47 minutes ago, Bbo569 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Looks like I am going to try and do Brackenridge and maybe Quarry if I can pull a second round.  La Cantera and Braton Creek are resport guest only courses.  Thanks for the suggestions.

You don't have to stay at La Cantera to play the Resort / Palmer courses...

• Like 1

I am playing memorial Park this afternoon(stay away thunderstorms) in Houston and play it once a week for 30 dollars residents rate(walking). It is amazing price for that but its 130+ for non residents and it is not a 130 dollar course. I would recommend Cypresswood Tradition course as the best public in Houston. Wilderness an hour south is a great layout but as said a fair distance south. 

San Antonio -= Brackenridge is fun classic, short old school layout and cheap. I would recommend the Palmer course at La Cantera - great course, tricky and fun. Palmer is worth the drive from Houston to play and I really like the La Cantera hotel and area. 

Austin - Wolfdancer when not full price, Falconhead is the course I have played most in Austin as when I lived there I was in Lake Travis right next to it and a Wild card Terravista its a really good layout; just no idea what condition it is in.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I can only really speak to Houston. Memorial Park is a great track, but as others have pointed out, its not in the best shape right now, especially the greens. Cypresswood Traditions is a good recommendation, I enjoy playing there...

BUT, and this is a hill I am prepared to die on, I'd send you to Gus Wortham. The greens are in outstanding shape and are extremely interesting, it is on a terrific piece of land along the bayou with elevation changes (original site of Houston Country Club), it has grass tee boxes on the range (at least on the weekends), and despite being a shorter track is plenty challenging for even the best golfers. Sure the neighborhood isn't posh, yes the clubhouse is currently a construction trailer, yes there are some tee boxes that could use better drainage, and there may be some trash in the bayou but I don't care, I love it. With a bigger maintenance budget and few tweaks to the layout (some trees here, shift a bunker around there, a cross bunker on 15, some additional landscaping, etc.) I think it'd be ranked as one of the best courses in the state.

Attached are two pics. This one from last weekend looking at hole 5, an excellent long par 3. The greens don't just look nice from a distance, they are the equal of any public course I've ever played. Its an intimidating view, especially from the tee boxes which are over to the right, but the green is sloped as to help players access middle and right pins, with the caveat that left misses leave difficult chips due to the green running away. 

64650575461__47262FC0-6804-4DEA-9C18-3F1BC3FD80AE.jpg.82965d265358f592d29199fc231f0433.jpg

The other is from this winter looking from the fairway towards 6 green, one of the best golf vistas in the city IMO. Its a long par 4 that wraps around the bayou. The fairway slopes towards the bayou, so aggressive shots off the tee that don't have sufficient distance to get around the corner may get kicked into the woods. Conservative play off the tee results in a v ery long approach to a green surrounded by bayou and bunkers that can save you from another lost ball. Long hitters can try and cut the corner, catching the slope leaving themselves just a wedge in. A great example of the old-school architectural interest Gus provides that most munis just can't compete with. 

63561975121__191555BB-51AB-4A5D-9D77-B6CE7C8A90CC.jpg.3f665b0614511c702fa5834791ccad4d.jpg

Personally I really didn't like the layout of Wolfdancer in Austin when I played and the course was in what could be generously described as goat ranch condition when I was last out there. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

Nobody has mentioned Golf Club of Houston? Home of the Shell Houston open for several years. That is a top tier quality course, although expensive ($130) but it is really nice.

Gus Wortham is the hidden gem in Houston and if you can get a tee time, it is a great track, and literally the best Maintenance crew in Houston.

5 hours ago, EDT501 said:

BUT, and this is a hill I am prepared to die on, I'd send you to Gus Wortham. The greens are in outstanding shape and are extremely interesting, it is on a terrific piece of land along the bayou with elevation changes (original site of Houston Country Club), it has grass tee boxes on the range (at least on the weekends), and despite being a shorter track is plenty challenging for even the best golfers. Sure the neighborhood isn't posh, yes the clubhouse is currently a construction trailer, yes there are some tee boxes that could use better drainage, and there may be some trash in the bayou but I don't care, I love it. With a bigger maintenance budget and few tweaks to the layout (some trees here, shift a bunker around there, a cross bunker on 15, some additional landscaping, etc.) I think it'd be ranked as one of the best courses in the state.

Gus is a great wee track and the greens are far better than Memorial. I am playing there on the 16th July and looking forward to it. I miss the hard fast greens from this time last year, Memorial was awesome; today not so much but I played dry and really well.

Memorial condition is definitely getting worse each week since the freeze - I have played it most weeks. Pic is from today.

IMG_2595.jpeg.be3f49d33ddbcb0a1da0f3c5d7b9609b.jpeg

4 hours ago, texas_tom said:

Nobody has mentioned Golf Club of Houston? Home of the Shell Houston open for several years. That is a top tier quality course, although expensive ($130) but it is really nice.

Gus Wortham is the hidden gem in Houston and if you can get a tee time, it is a great track, and literally the best Maintenance crew in Houston.

I am not a far its boring unless in tournament condition. I played it couples the week after the PGA tour event and it was great. Also last summer you could get a round for 59 dollars in an afternoon; fine for that price just not the 150 at weekends they ask for.

3 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

The past several weeks at Memorial they've been starting everyone off on 10 to help with pace of play.

They told me it was because lots of folk just play 9 that this should limit the people on the front 9 compared to the back. feels weird playing It the wrong way.  4 hour round today was great as a 4 so pace is exactly the same no matter which way you play it. 

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

37 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

Gus is a great wee track and the greens are far better than Memorial. I am playing there on the 16th July and looking forward to it. I miss the hard fast greens from this time last year, Memorial was awesome; today not so much but I played dry and really well.

Memorial condition is definitely getting worse each week since the freeze - I have played it most weeks. Pic is from today.

IMG_2595.jpeg.be3f49d33ddbcb0a1da0f3c5d7b9609b.jpeg

Yeah, they’ve really struggled recently. I played there last and it was clear they were struggling with the greens. They punched them almost a 6 weeks ago I think and they were still a little crater-y. I too miss last summer when it was firm, fast, and the rough was thick. In those conditions it was some of the most fun, fair but hard golf I’ve played.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EDT501 said:

Yeah, they’ve really struggled recently. I played there last and it was clear they were struggling with the greens. They punched them almost a 6 weeks ago I think and they were still a little crater-y. I too miss last summer when it was firm, fast, and the rough was thick. In those conditions it was some of the most fun, fair but hard golf I’ve played.

It’s getting bad. 

I’ve downplayed/ignored some of the complaints on this site before but it is truly in “muni” shape now. 

I don’t know how they are going to host a PGA event this year. 

Not sure if it’s an overplay issue or if it’s a maintenance issue. But disappointing that they are wasting a great Doak redesign 

2 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

It’s getting bad. 

I’ve downplayed/ignored some of the complaints on this site before but it is truly in “muni” shape now. 

I don’t know how they are going to host a PGA event this year. 

Not sure if it’s an overplay issue or if it’s a maintenance issue. But disappointing that they are wasting a great Doak redesign 

A lot of courses have really struggled since the freeze. Memorial was great the week after the freeze. I think it is too much play(much lower now with the residency and heat) and they really just need to close it(not until I leave in 4 weeks though) for a wee while to let things grow, its perfect growing season! 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Well I played 4 holes at Gus today before the bottom fell out. Was really impressed with the greens for a public course. Some of the privates back in SC aren’t even that good. Was -1 thru those 4 with some pretty crappy rental clubs. Wish it would of held off since I won’t be back anytime soon to see the rest of it. Thanks for the recommendation there. Hoping for more luck at Brackenridge Thursday. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bbo569 said:

Well I played 4 holes at Gus today before the bottom fell out. Was really impressed with the greens for a public course. Some of the privates back in SC aren’t even that good. Was -1 thru those 4 with some pretty crappy rental clubs. Wish it would of held off since I won’t be back anytime soon to see the rest of it. Thanks for the recommendation there. Hoping for more luck at Brackenridge Thursday. 

Can't remember the last time we didn't have rain in the forecast here...

Got dumped on the past two weekends.

Hope the weather is more favorable for you on Thursday!

On 6/30/2021 at 2:33 PM, EDT501 said:

I can only really speak to Houston. Memorial Park is a great track, but as others have pointed out, its not in the best shape right now, especially the greens. Cypresswood Traditions is a good recommendation, I enjoy playing there...

Attached are two pics. This one from last weekend looking at hole 5, an excellent long par 3. The greens don't just look nice from a distance, they are the equal of any public course I've ever played. Its an intimidating view, especially from the tee boxes which are over to the right, but the green is sloped as to help players access middle and right pins, with the caveat that left misses leave difficult chips due to the green running away. 

64650575461__47262FC0-6804-4DEA-9C18-3F1BC3FD80AE.jpg.82965d265358f592d29199fc231f0433.jpg

The other is from this winter looking from the fairway towards 6 green, one of the best golf vistas in the city IMO. Its a long par 4 that wraps around the bayou. The fairway slopes towards the bayou, so aggressive shots off the tee that don't have sufficient distance to get around the corner may get kicked into the woods. Conservative play off the tee results in a v ery long approach to a green surrounded by bayou and bunkers that can save you from another lost ball. Long hitters can try and cut the corner, catching the slope leaving themselves just a wedge in. A great example of the old-school architectural interest Gus provides that most munis just can't compete with. 

63561975121__191555BB-51AB-4A5D-9D77-B6CE7C8A90CC.jpg.3f665b0614511c702fa5834791ccad4d.jpg

Personally I really didn't like the layout of Wolfdancer in Austin when I played and the course was in what could be generously described as goat ranch condition when I was last out there. 

I am so glad someone was able to recommend Gus. It is my favorite course to tell people about in Houston. I love the looks they give me because of the reputation it had before HGA took over. All I say is "trust me". It's a shame OP only got 4 holes in I think holes 5-9 are some of my favorite ones out there as far as a challenge. Not a private member so not sure what Austin would offer for one, but we always enjoy Crystal Falls when we go down. Playing elevation is a lot of fun for someone from Houston that plays on flat land all year. 

1 minute ago, aramirez24 said:

I am so glad someone was able to recommend Gus. It is my favorite course to tell people about in Houston. I love the looks they give me because of the reputation it had before HGA took over. All I say is "trust me". It's a shame OP only got 4 holes in I think holes 5-9 are some of my favorite ones out there as far as a challenge.

5-9 is my favorite stretch too. One of the best stretches of golf in the city, IMO. 6 is such a clever hole, though it needs that huge oak at the bend back to be its best. 7 is a great risk reward par 4. 8 is so tricky because the wind is basically impossible to gauge and it’s so swirly in that little alcove. 9 is a great short par 4 in that it only rewards smart golf so far as I can tell. It’s reachable, but so far as I can tell you’re foolish to try the green is so well protected and crazy. Leaving a pitch in and using the slopes on the green smartly is the only way to make birdies despite it being <300 yards.

I could go on and on about Gus if anyone wanted haha

1 minute ago, EDT501 said:

5-9 is my favorite stretch too. One of the best stretches of golf in the city, IMO. 6 is such a clever hole, though it needs that huge oak at the bend back to be its best. 7 is a great risk reward par 4. 8 is so tricky because the wind is basically impossible to gauge and it’s so swirly in that little alcove. 9 is a great short par 4 in that it only rewards smart golf so far as I can tell. It’s reachable, but so far as I can tell you’re foolish to try the green is so well protected and crazy. Leaving a pitch in and using the slopes on the green smartly is the only way to make birdies despite it being <300 yards.

I could go on and on about Gus if anyone wanted haha

Well said. Absolute best public greens I've ever played on. Short holes that make it challenging based on where they want to put the pins. Hard to find a course that will make you think tee to green like that around here. 

Just finished my round at Brackenridge. Very unique routing on the back nine. One par 4 has a tree 100 yards off the tee trying to force a 130 yard tee shot followed by a 170 yard approach. Greens could of used some work, but I really enjoyed my round. Very fun course and played well even with the rentals. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

• Like 2

You caught Brack as its going through a rough period after the freeze but they have been pumping resources and funds into fixing it. It is a lot better than 1-2 months ago for sure, I was out there yesterday as well. 

#16 is the hole you mention with the tree. I like that stretch to finish a lot. #16 is the hole that make or break in tournaments. #17 is drivable par 4 with a couple eagles every event. #18 is just a b**** of a par 3 to end with from 175ish, since the wind swirls there. Pin front left of 18 is absolutely a bear. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, J_Birdie said:

You caught Brack as its going through a rough period after the freeze but they have been pumping resources and funds into fixing it. It is a lot better than 1-2 months ago for sure, I was out there yesterday as well. 

#16 is the hole you mention with the tree. I like that stretch to finish a lot. #16 is the hole that make or break in tournaments. #17 is drivable par 4 with a couple eagles every event. #18 is just a b**** of a par 3 to end with from 175ish, since the wind swirls there. Pin front left of 18 is absolutely a bear. 

Yep. I enjoyed that stretch as well. Including the very short #16. Went 1 under through that stretch with birdie on 18. Hit the highest hardest driver cut of my life on #16 to have 50 yards in. Played from the whites since that is what my group was playing so it made getting it up quickly most important. Chose 8 iron off of #17 as I didn’t want to wait for the green to clear. Wish I would of waited and tried.