The age old question...

schaperb90

So I've tested new drivers to replace my old trusty that cracked. Nailed it down to 2. G425 and STX. But here's the where I'm stuck. G425 is really straight and really anti left for me which I love, but lacking in distance, at least relative to option 2. STX was really hot for me. Like 8  mph ball speed hotter. But, could miss it either way. Wasn't hitting it wild by any means, but just no where near as consistent direction wise as ping. So, the age old question. Short and straight or long and crooked? Which do y'all recommend? Or if you've been in a similar dilemma, which did you choose? And do you regret it?

• Haha 1

Honestly, I keep searching or find out why the STX is all over the joint. I’m an accuracy first guy but that being said I see no reason to give up much distance. Too many options and combos to not max out distance and dispersion. Don’t settle 

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

15 minutes ago, Payton1020 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but STX?

Mizuno I believe.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Maybe look into other drivers instead and find that that give you max ball speed yet is manageable with dispersion.  For me, I will always take distance over accuracy.  Bomb and gouge baby.

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

2 hours ago, mcounci2 said:

Driver's aren't really "hotter" than each other any more- all of them are maxed out, have been for a while.  I'd figure out why you're missing with STX or how your delivery isn't right with G425.  You should be able to have your cake and eat it too in this scenario.

So from what I was told while in the store, the 425 line all uses counterbalances shafts with heavy heads (aka overall heavy clubs). My swing speed was slower with it, which is why my ball speed was slower. That being said tho, all stock pings are set up this way, the guy told me the ping would probably be the one in a non counterbalanced set up, but then I'm custom ordering, and driverless until late August which I don't want.

So yes it's not that the driver is that much hotter, but the way it's set up is. I'm sure at the exact same swing speed they are basically identical, but I can't crank up the ping anywhere near as much.

1 hour ago, schaperb90 said:

So from what I was told while in the store, the 425 line all uses counterbalances shafts with heavy heads (aka overall heavy clubs). My swing speed was slower with it, which is why my ball speed was slower. That being said tho, all stock pings are set up this way, the guy told me the ping would probably be the one in a non counterbalanced set up, but then I'm custom ordering, and driverless until late August which I don't want.

So yes it's not that the driver is that much hotter, but the way it's set up is. I'm sure at the exact same swing speed they are basically identical, but I can't crank up the ping anywhere near as much.

Here's another option.... get an aftermarket weight for the ping to take a couple grams out of the head, and play a shaft that isn't heavily counterbalanced like the stock ping offerings. G425 heads are always on the BST. Shafts can be sourced easily from BST, will peoples, golfworks, ebay if you're brave or looking for new old stock, etc.  Given your situation, this is what I'd be doing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Maybe look into other drivers instead and find that that give you max ball speed yet is manageable with dispersion.  For me, I will always take distance over accuracy.  Bomb and gouge baby.

I have to choose accuracy over distance at my club. WAY too many trees for bomb and gouge. If you miss a fairway, pars are hard to come by.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

1 hour ago, mcounci2 said:

Here's another option.... get an aftermarket weight for the ping to take a couple grams out of the head, and play a shaft that isn't heavily counterbalanced like the stock ping offerings. G425 heads are always on the BST. Shafts can be sourced easily from BST, will peoples, golfworks, ebay if you're brave or looking for new old stock, etc.  Given your situation, this is what I'd be doing

I've given this some thought, and still may do it. Keeping a close eye on classified if something pops up that catches my eye, but nothing has quite yet. Do I have to get aftermarket weights? Does ping not sell them?

2 hours ago, TiScape said:

I read the title of the thread and thought chicken or the egg?! 😂 

1C5767BB-E9C1-459D-8058-D3A6B6908AF3.jpeg

Lol isn't this one of golf age old questions? Especially come to the surface again recently with the Bryson mindset. Seems a lot of pros are trying to make this decision as they test long drivers vs their gamers. 

2 hours ago, schaperb90 said:

I've given this some thought, and still may do it. Keeping a close eye on classified if something pops up that catches my eye, but nothing has quite yet. Do I have to get aftermarket weights? Does ping not sell them?

Lol isn't this one of golf age old questions? Especially come to the surface again recently with the Bryson mindset. Seems a lot of pros are trying to make this decision as they test long drivers vs their gamers. 

You can get OEM weights for the G425 from Golfworks.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Get the best of both with a G425 and a lighter weight.

I purchased a G425 Max and it had a 26g weight stock which put the head with adapter at 206 grams total. I got the 23g and 20g weights from Golfworks and experimented with both before settling on the 23g for a total head weight of 203 grams. Its only 3 grams but it made a world of difference for me. I am hitting longer than I ever have and it is still super forgiving.

Did you try the LST version of the g425?  The standard ping heads have been unimpressive performers fit me, but the LST really fits me well. Big jump in ball speed, less spin, and significantly more overall distance with an apples to apples shaft comparison. I find it is nearly as forgiving as the standard head, too. Throw the Tour 65 shaft in it with the appropriate flex, and it is about as good a stock offering as I’ve found. I’d be surprised if you didn’t find the ball speed and distance jumps with it. 

14 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I have to choose accuracy over distance at my club. WAY too many trees for bomb and gouge. If you miss a fairway, pars are hard to come by.

I recently joined a private cc about 15 mins away from my place.  Front 9, bomb and gouge.  Back 9 not so much.  I still take distance over accuracy.  I would rather hit out of the rough from 120 yards and in rather than have a 7 iron into the green from the fairway.

14 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I play desert golf, and it's the same way. Very penalizing if you don't keep the ball in play. Fairways are generally narrow strips of grass between corridors of desert where I play, and you don't often end up in a playable position if you put it in the desert.

I personally wouldn't sacrifice accuracy for the sake of distance, bad driving days demolish my scorecard. But as others have said, you shouldn't really have to give up distance for forgiveness these days, you just need to find the right combo for your swing.

When you said STX, I was thinking this...

STX Xform 1 - Putter Review

And then got all excited to see what in Vishnu's name their drivers might look like. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I recently joined a private cc about 15 mins away from my place.  Front 9, bomb and gouge.  Back 9 not so much.  I still take distance over accuracy.  I would rather hit out of the rough from 120 yards and in rather than have a 7 iron into the green from the fairway.

I might be able to pick up 10 or 15 yards with a new driver, but if it's not a fairway finder it wouldn't be worth it. You seriously can't play bomb and gouge style golf at my club. If you miss a fairway, you're punching out 90% of the time. I have no problem hitting over the odd tree here and there if I'm far enough back from it. But chances are if you miss a fairway at my club, you're going to have trees very close to you blocking your shot at the green. Missed fairways are severely penalized. In addition to all the trees, the rough is also very thick and gobbles up wayward shots, making it quite difficult to find your ball. It's a really nice course, but I'm considering going back to my old course next year so that I can shoot lower scores. I CAN play bomb and gouge there, and the scorecard always looked a lot better. It's just too bad that 7 of the greens are half dead and in terrible condition.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Well, I agree in a perfect world I shouldn't have to choose, but at the same time, doesn't physics to a certain extend always make this a choice? For example let's say I spun one driver at 2600 and one at 2000, the 2600 spinning driver is always going to be shorter, but also always going to be a more stable flight. In my head it's all about the balance, which is why most people try to settle into something with about 2200ish backspin. Anyways, I am thinking I'm going to move forward with g425. Only thing really holding me back is the lack of adjustability in the STX. The only thing I could do to set up a one way miss (for me I'd want anti left) is opening the face. But the ping let's me open the face, make the club flatter, and put the wait on the toe. I don't think I'll need all that, but it's nice to know that it's there if I ever need it, as I don't change drivers often if I like them. I mean shoot if I loved the 425 I could easily be playing it for the next 6-7 years plus like I was with my previous 2 drivers. 

• Like 1

Although I also would like to add, I don't blame the STX for it's lack of adjustability as it's significantly cheaper which is still tempting. IMO club prices have gotten out of hand. I'm so glad I have a set and only need to replace as necessary. I can't imagine trying to get into the game rn and the sticker shock of club prices, costs of rounds, cost of balls, etc. I get used is an option, but also don't think all these "tech" they market warrants the price. Just my .02¢.

• Like 1

For me, golf is about accuracy. So shorter and more accurate would be my choice. But I hear ya OP. Prices are worse here in Canada! If money is a concern, hard to beat Mizuno! Hopefully you can get dialled in to get better accuracy with the STX?!

• Like 1

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

21 hours ago, schaperb90 said:

Well, I agree in a perfect world I shouldn't have to choose, but at the same time, doesn't physics to a certain extend always make this a choice? For example let's say I spun one driver at 2600 and one at 2000, the 2600 spinning driver is always going to be shorter, but also always going to be a more stable flight. In my head it's all about the balance, which is why most people try to settle into something with about 2200ish backspin. Anyways, I am thinking I'm going to move forward with g425. Only thing really holding me back is the lack of adjustability in the STX. The only thing I could do to set up a one way miss (for me I'd want anti left) is opening the face. But the ping let's me open the face, make the club flatter, and put the wait on the toe. I don't think I'll need all that, but it's nice to know that it's there if I ever need it, as I don't change drivers often if I like them. I mean shoot if I loved the 425 I could easily be playing it for the next 6-7 years plus like I was with my previous 2 drivers. 

Depends on launch & speed re the spin numbers. Chris Trott has some good info on his YouTube channel fitting players which is worth a watch.

I have no idea how much speed or spin my driver has on it, but it’s going much straighter now, with a bit more loft and a more friendly shaft.

The SLDR messed my head up, the good drives went a long way, but the misses were terrible. I’ve spent the last few years trying to find something that delivered the good part of the SLDR without the bad. Hasn’t happened.

Golf is more fun from the fairway. If you have enough speed, a few more fairways is the way forward IMO.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

25 minutes ago, Bye said:

Depends on launch & speed re the spin numbers. Chris Trott has some good info on his YouTube channel fitting players which is worth a watch.

I have no idea how much speed or spin my driver has on it, but it’s going much straighter now, with a bit more loft and a more friendly shaft.

The SLDR messed my head up, the good drives went a long way, but the misses were terrible. I’ve spent the last few years trying to find something that delivered the good part of the SLDR without the bad. Hasn’t happened.

Golf is more fun from the fairway. If you have enough speed, a few more fairways is the way forward IMO.

So I would say I'm on the upper end of driver speed. To put in into context I was getting about 167 ball with 425 and hit 175 ball with the Mizuno. That 175 is the fastest I've ever seen myself hit on a launch monitor. Normally high 160 low 170s. But I say that to say this, while I do have some yardage to give up, my game is to an extent built around my faster than average swing. I'm so used to being able to take advantage of par 5s and short par 4s, I don't want to stray too far away from that, as I almost feel like that's my golf dna per say. Maybe that's ignorant of me to say though, as I've never truly tried to set my bag and my game up around pure accuracy. 

8 minutes ago, schaperb90 said:

So I would say I'm on the upper end of driver speed. To put in into context I was getting about 167 ball with 425 and hit 175 ball with the Mizuno. That 175 is the fastest I've ever seen myself hit on a launch monitor. Normally high 160 low 170s. But I say that to say this, while I do have some yardage to give up, my game is to an extent built around my faster than average swing. I'm so used to being able to take advantage of par 5s and short par 4s, I don't want to stray too far away from that, as I almost feel like that's my golf dna per say. Maybe that's ignorant of me to say though, as I've never truly tried to set my bag and my game up around pure accuracy. 

Yeah you don’t want to give up too much of that advantage with the speed you have. It’s a balancing act of getting something playable without loosing too much.

I know I am in the 160’s ball speed wise, but am not focusing on the numbers for now, and have just tried to find something that I can keep it in play with and hit the shots I want/need to on the course.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

IIRC, the number is about two yards of distance being worth 1 yard of dispersion, per Mark Broadie (apologies if this isn’t correct, but I believe he said that on a podcast I listen to). 

So, given that 8 mph of ball speed “should” equal about 16 more yards, you would need to have a scatter pattern that is 8+ yards wider with the Mizuno to make this a 50/50 decision.  

Unless you almost always play on courses that are extremely penal off the tee, I’m going to say that the Mizuno driver is more likely to result in your shooting lower scores more often.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]