The age old question...

schaperb90

So you get along well with the draw based head? Did moving the ping weights to the heel help at all?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I don't know much about the Mizuno head, though it did win the TXG bracket challenge. That being said it depends on your game. I went a got a Ping G425 max and I am quite happy, if I am giving up 5-6 yards so be it, I hit it long enough and don't play massive tracks where I need those extra few yards to get a shot at the par 5s in two so I'll take accuracy. I feel the ping is the most accurate on the market.

The counter balance thing can be an issue but there are many good CB shafts, even the Alta CB stock shaft is pretty good in the correct flex.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

On 7/1/2021 at 11:01 PM, Rbsiedsc said:

So you get along well with the draw based head? Did moving the ping weights to the heel help at all?

Sorry, correction, stz driver. Sorry must have had a brain fart when I say STX. I did not even try the STX as it was draw bias. Thanks for the correction.

On 7/2/2021 at 1:58 PM, SwooshLT said:

Have you looked into shaft setups?  

No I didn't. The delay is so long on ordering I'm going to be buying off the shelf or classifieds. I can't wait 6+ weeks for a driver to come in. 

Also side note: I think I'm going to go for g410 9° in tour 65x... Can be had online for $400 and hopefully I can tweak it to be best of both worlds and it leaves me some money to play with shaft down the line if I dislike the tour 65. Get all the benefits of the anti left I enjoyed in the g425 with little bit lower spin, for a good price. I just can't justify to myself to punt $600 on a driver. 

On 6/28/2021 at 2:38 PM, schaperb90 said:

So I've tested new drivers to replace my old trusty that cracked. Nailed it down to 2. G425 and STX. But here's the where I'm stuck. G425 is really straight and really anti left for me which I love, but lacking in distance, at least relative to option 2. STX was really hot for me. Like 8  mph ball speed hotter. But, could miss it either way. Wasn't hitting it wild by any means, but just no where near as consistent direction wise as ping. So, the age old question. Short and straight or long and crooked? Which do y'all recommend? Or if you've been in a similar dilemma, which did you choose? And do you regret it?

Keep looking, your laying out a chunk of change. Get fit for a different shaft, yeah there is a surcharge, but get what works for you. Stop settling for anything that will not let you perform your best. 

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

45 minutes ago, puttingmatt said:

Keep looking, your laying out a chunk of change. Get fit for a different shaft, yeah there is a surcharge, but get what works for you. Stop settling for anything that will not let you perform your best. 

Problem is there is only one small golf shop that will let you demo stuff, but they only have the stock shaft offerings. Golf Galaxy charges $100 for a "fitting". That's a joke imo. Club champion charges $150. Then say I get fit into $200 upcharge shaft. $500-$550 driver + $200 shaft + $100-$150 fitting + tax (9% i believe) and mcc+4 grip = $885ish - $995 ish. That is absolutely ridiculous imo. I know there are plenty of people that do that, and all the power to them, I have absolutely no problem with it and am not going to tell people what to do with their money, but it's not worth it imo. I know enough about what I need to get me 90% of the way there most likely for about 45% of the cost. 

Btw, I'm not trying to sound harsh on GG, but I have just lost all respect for them at this point. They want these people to "fit" me, and I'm sure there are some who would do a great job, yet there was also the guy who was trying to get me to do a fit when I went in there to demo and was asking about my previous driver. I told him it was a SLDR 430 with a speeder in it, but I wasn't sure which version, but it's white. He then proceeded to say "oh an aldila speeder whiteboard, that's a good shaft" and i could gain a bunch of yardage from new clubs as they all will spin significantly less than a SLDR. After hearing that, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I got a good chuckle after that, and figured most here could appreciate that story too.

Anyways, I know many here will disagree with my educated guess when choosing a new driver, but I hope at least some can relate to thinking current club prices are ridiculous. And all this is ignoring the other main reason I'm just making an educated guess, I don't want to be driverless for the next 6+ weeks, maybe even 2-3 months if I went with ping, while I can order a 410 lst with x stiff tour shaft and have it late next week. That's been my logic, and in 95% sure that's the route I'm going to take at this point. But I'll let y'all know once I finally place the order. Sorry for the rant.

If you don't want to pay for someone to fit you, PING has an online web page where you can enter in data about yourself and your swing to get a "fitting."

https://webfit.ping.com/

TaylorMade has complimentary virtual fittings using Zoom

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/virtual-fitting.html?lang=en_US

I just went the used route, and came up with a 42-1/2" ladies flex Epic Flash 12 degree driver for just $200.  At that price I figure I can't be too picky about the shaft.

As it is, the 45g shaft and a light grip gives me the approximate swing weight that works for me. 

Edited by ShortGolfer

If you feel uncomfortable teeing off on tight fairways and are less confident with a 3 wood, I'd go with the Ping.  If you can't hit the diameter of a nickel coin in the middle of the face consistently, go with the Ping.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I think it depends on a combination of how much distance you're giving up/can lose, is it still long enough for your course, and how bad does your course penalize misses. I went for a driver fitting myself recently and ended up taking the slight loss of distance for a smaller dispersion circle.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

On 7/3/2021 at 6:34 PM, Moonlightgrm said:

I have an STX putter with the soft face, in my stable of putters. It feels great! 

Yeah man, those who use STX putters seem to love them. My father-in-law used one for years, and you never want to underestimate that dude on the greens. I've seen him hole a ton of un-makeable putts with this thing right here:

STX Putter

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

What's the distance difference? Is it 5 yards per drive, or 20 yards?

Obviously, going from 7 iron to 9 iron approaches is a big deal ... but if your average drive is 250 vs 255, I'd take the fairway finder that I can trust every day of the week.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

3 hours ago, tatertot said:

What's the distance difference? Is it 5 yards per drive, or 20 yards?

Obviously, going from 7 iron to 9 iron approaches is a big deal ... but if your average drive is 250 vs 255, I'd take the fairway finder that I can trust every day of the week.

Well it was 5-7 mph ball speed faster, so if I remember correctly 1 mph ball speed is worth 2 yards, so 10-14 yards ish. Contemplating a custom order with a "digitally" lofted ping (aka a 9° ping that's 8°) and moving away from the counter balanced shafts to lighten the club up. Hopefully these things could make up the difference yet keep it a fairway finder. Problem is it's just all a guess at this point as trying these things prior to receiving my custom order would be next to impossible as no one has weights or knows the loft of their drivers. But I feel fairly comfortable I know enough now to make a guess like that and feel comfortable it will be  more likely than not correct.

51 minutes ago, Booker said:

I am willing to give up less than 10yrds for a ball thats in play more often. Anymore than 10 is leaving to much on the table, I haven't found a driver in the last 15years that has given me 8mph ballspeed difference. I own over 60 heads currently and all are within 3mph right back to r50xd, 905s era. 

Yea it's like I said earlier in this thread when another guy said the same thing. I don't think the ping is any slower or less efficient per say, but they handicap themselves going with these super heavy heads and counterbalanced shafts imo. 206g standard head weight, even with a counterbalanced shaft just doesn't move as quick as some other brands offerings that haven't gone this route (ie Mizuno). I swung the Mizuno faster because of this, and hence got more ball speed to the tune of 5-7 mph more ball speed. If the club let's me put more in, I'll get more out. I'm sure a ping driver built out to a lower head weight and non counterbalanced shaft, (ie similar specs to what the Mizuno sat at) I'd make up that difference, however probably lose at least some of the straightness without that huge 26 gram weight way back that the ping has. The way pings are set up ATM is a gift and a curse. They are the only driver that feels significantly more forgiving than anything else out there, but are also shorter because of it. Hope all that makes sense.

6 hours ago, schaperb90 said:

Yea it's like I said earlier in this thread when another guy said the same thing. I don't think the ping is any slower or less efficient per say, but they handicap themselves going with these super heavy heads and counterbalanced shafts imo. 206g standard head weight, even with a counterbalanced shaft just doesn't move as quick as some other brands offerings that haven't gone this route (ie Mizuno). I swung the Mizuno faster because of this, and hence got more ball speed to the tune of 5-7 mph more ball speed. If the club let's me put more in, I'll get more out. I'm sure a ping driver built out to a lower head weight and non counterbalanced shaft, (ie similar specs to what the Mizuno sat at) I'd make up that difference, however probably lose at least some of the straightness without that huge 26 gram weight way back that the ping has. The way pings are set up ATM is a gift and a curse. They are the only driver that feels significantly more forgiving than anything else out there, but are also shorter because of it. Hope all that makes sense.

My 425 lst moves as fast as anything else I own but it depends how much hp you have and your preference. I hate light heads and 45.75 inche shafts, needs to be d5. I would try a 45inch shaft or 45.25.