2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Has 3-wood tech changed much over the last few years?

ProStryker

I have a Cally Rogue 3-wood that I like. I haven’t moved on from it due to the shaft in it that I like.   Has 3 wood tech changed a lot since that model? I have a new Titleist TSI2 driver that I really love, and was wondering about trying the TSI2 3-wood.  Would the Rogue and Tsi2 be comparable in performance, distance and forgiveness wise, or are this years crop of 3woods going to perform better? (i.e. 425 lst, tsi, epic speed)

Edited by ProStryker

Ping G430 LST 9*, Kai’li White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

At the February 2020 St. Louis Golf Expo, I got a good review of fairway wood marketing trends. I talked to veteran Callaway, TaylorMade and Tour Edge reps.

General trends: male golfers seemed to be averse to carrying a 4W, even though that's what the average golfer needs. So, several OEMs married tech + marketing in a bid to make golfers happy (whatever that is...). Here are excerpts from an earlier post:

Went to St. Louis Golf Expo on Feb. 7 and 8.

Got to talk to the area Callaway rep about drivers and woods. For fairway woods, the base Mavrik and Mavrik MAX are both designed to encourage higher launch. I hit the Mavrik 3W... 15 degree .. with Mamiya Helium Black 45 gr. R shaft. I could get good launch with it, encouraging to me because I have been 4W + 7W for nine seasons. No test 4Ws - Mav or MMAX - available.

TM tent had long line all day, so I went online to TaylorMade 2020, I saw the same idea in the SIM fairway woods. The SIM ads tout the return of the V-Steel (circa 2006) heavy sole, with more weight low to encourage better launch. TM attempted to tap this sentiment in 2012 with the arrival of the 17* 3W/HL (a 4W in everyone else's house).

Tour Edge shifted this way in last year's EXS model, offering 3Ws in 13*, 15* and 17* lofts. (No more 4W!)

I never have understood the 4W phobia. Clubfitters say they try to fit male golfers with either 3W + 5W, or 4W + 7W ... whichever works best. Some can handle 3W, others can't.

I would say that different models represent tweaks rather than major tech disruptions. The key is to find out what you need, and locate it either in older (stuff comes around again), or new stuff.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

The Rogue definitely can compete with anything out there. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Hardest club in the bag to find, 3 wd, the devil's back stab.. I do subscribe to the 4 or 5w approach, over the 3w for the vast majority of golfers. It's also such a specialty club for most people. I know I hit a 3w (like really should hit it) about 1x every 2-3 rounds. The rest of the time, I could just use my hybrid or my 5w. 

Bottom line, if you hit the rogue well, keep it. Lookup the old story of Freddy Couples finding and keeping a 3 wd in his bag a few years. What was the 3w? His friends' (Tom Watson) wife's 3 wd (actually, her driver) that Freddy liked and played for years on tour. 

• Like 1

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

3 minutes ago, Audi A-Fore said:

Hardest club in the bag to find, 3 wd

People say this often and I don't believe it.  I think finding the right shaft and committing to a proper swing for it (when people still try to help the ball up off the deck...) are the harder parts that people can't get straightened out.

The last 10 years plus have been a golden age for heads where it is easier to point out the bad ones than list all of the good ones, because there has been a ton.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1

A Revolving Door

1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

At the February 2020 St. Louis Golf Expo, I got a good review of fairway wood marketing trends. I talked to veteran Callaway, TaylorMade and Tour Edge reps.

General trends: male golfers seemed to be averse to carrying a 4W, even though that's what the average golfer needs. So, several OEMs married tech + marketing in a bid to make golfers happy (whatever that is...). Here are excerpts from an earlier post:

Ugh, my favorite rant...the stupid male ego.

I've had this same discussion with someone at Ping (their research indicated 7W > hybrid > iron for the majority of players). Doesn't matter that almost half the PGA tour carries one, but the average male prefers to give worms haircuts with a 3 iron than carry a 7 wood. Try finding a used 7W with a stiff shaft never mind X Stiff.

Throw in the 3 wood they can't elevate, a vanity loft on their driver plus bladed wedges and you have the perfect vanity set for the out of shape middle aged male hacker.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

People say this often and I don't believe it.  I think finding the right shaft and committing to a proper swing for it (when people still try to help the ball up off the deck...) are the harder parts that people can't get straightened out.

The last 10 years plus have been a golden age for heads where it is easier to point out the bad ones than list all of the good ones, because there has been a ton.

Sure... your results may vary, but I could apply your comment to every club in the bag. You can play a 10 deg. driver, but in your logic, you could commit to playing a 8 deg. driver with a "proper swing" for it and dramatically increasing your AoA, optimizing your spin, and increasing your ballspeed to accommodate. I wouldn't recommend it for the average player, but you could probably get it done. 

I would agree with you that newer 3wd's are easier to hit (see TS2), but the 16-18* 4-5wds are also significantly easier to hit than that current 3wd for most amateurs. Automatic higher launch, shorter shafts, better strikes. 

I would say comparatively, a 3wd has been the hardest club for me to find and hit well, and it is my observation for all of my friends who I help with. I need it to hit off the tee and off the deck well. It's not just a 1-use club. In comparison, I can swap drivers, 5w, hybrids, irons, wedges, and even putters without much transition period. I probably do it multiple times a year across those clubs (this is Golfwrx!). 3wd off the deck, is a different story (for me).  

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

25 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Doesn't matter that almost half the PGA tour carries one, but the average male prefers to give worms haircuts with a 3 iron than carry a 7 wood.

I came to my senses about 11 years ago. I have used 4W + 7W ever since (switched models a couple of times).

25 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Try finding a used 7W with a stiff shaft never mind X Stiff.

What I did? I found a woman's Rogue 7W (a demo) for around $100. The head specs (loft, lie angle and weight) are same for both male and female Rogue 7W versions. Had my golfsmith refit with R-flex shaft, and it's been happily ever after.

For your favorite FW model, compare female and male 7W specs. See if they also match.

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

3 minutes ago, Audi A-Fore said:

Sure... your results may vary, but I could apply your comment to every club in the bag. You can play a 10 deg. driver, but in your logic, you could commit to playing a 8 deg. driver with a "proper swing" for it and dramatically increasing your AoA, optimizing your spin, and increasing your ballspeed to accommodate. I wouldn't recommend it for the average player, but you could probably get it done. 

Difference being the tee...  You can still put a piss poor swing on a driver and have it be playable, same can't be said for a 3wd off the deck, so I don't accept your comparison.  I also believe someone could make an ill-fitted driver work better than an ill-fitted 3wd off the deck.

Let alone getting into the specifics of a better delivery to the ball to "optimize' it.

A Revolving Door

3 metals haven't changed in tech much in many years besides the adjustable weights and interchangeable shafts.  If you have a 3 metal of yesterday that you hit well, keep it.  Only thing you may want to do is to get another newer shaft.  Shafts these days seem to be more stable and can feel better than the older ones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

It only takes 1 bad round with your 3 wood to sing disappointment.

Equally, it only takes 1 good round with your 3 wood to sing praise.

Love - Hate - Hit -Miss, it is the way.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I have just made this exact change, went from a standard Rogue to a TSI2. It is still early days, but but it seems to be a good switch. I found the Rogue quite spiny, which Is what wanted. I have a 15 degree lofted up, which seems to give a similar flight now. I think the TSI 2 might be a bit taller in the face, and the Rogue probably looks a touch bigger behind the ball.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

11 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

The Rogue definitely can compete with anything out there.

That's why I carry the 4W + 7W!

11 hours ago, Audi A-Fore said:

Hardest club in the bag to find, 3 wd, the devil's back stab.. I do subscribe to the 4 or 5w approach, over the 3w for the vast majority of golfers.

As does a local golf pro and clubfitter. He carries his driver about 280 yards, and came up with an interesting solution for fairway wood. He has a 5W with a 4-wood length shaft. He said he only loses about 15 yards compared to a 3W, but the 5W is so much more reliable.

Many demo days past, the Tour Edge rep had the willing hit both the 3W and 4W from a new Exotics model. Most of us hit the 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than the 3W. This included a couple of really long hitters. 

• Like 1

Ψ  Backups:

Difference between my RBZ tour and the M3 is pretty negligible.   I just like how the M3 sets up at address more than the RBZ.  

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

4 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

3 metals haven't changed in tech much in many years besides the adjustable weights and interchangeable shafts.  If you have a 3 metal of yesterday that you hit well, keep it.  Only thing you may want to do is to get another newer shaft.  Shafts these days seem to be more stable and can feel better than the older ones. 

3 metal….I assume that you call your irons “steels” as well? Lol.  In all seriousness, the shat in it is a GD AD-DI.  Is that considered an older shaft in your mind? What would be its equivalent as a newer/better shaft, as you say?  Gracias 

Ping G430 LST 9*, Kai’li White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

6 hours ago, ProStryker said:

3 metal….I assume that you call your irons “steels” as well? Lol.  In all seriousness, the shat in it is a GD AD-DI.  Is that considered an older shaft in your mind? What would be its equivalent as a newer/better shaft, as you say?  Gracias 

TP is considered the DI on roids.  It launches a tad lower, spins about the same and is more stable.  Stiff in the tip, and firm in both mid and butt.  DI is firm in the tip and medium in both butt and mid.  I had a DI-7x in two drivers and it was hit or miss.  I would either hit bombs or they would curve off the planet.  My two cousins both play the TP and it curves significantly less than the DI.  

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Rogue 3W is a bomber.  Keep it.  Cally hasn’t made anything substantially better.  If you have a shaft that works for you you’re golden.  The only “knock” IMO on the Rogue 3W is getting a shaft fit is so critical because you can’t change it (easily….obviously it can be reshafted).

I gamed one, I liked it quite a lot.  Shaft that I had was a little high launching.   Switched to TS2 with a lower launching shaft.  Also a great 3W.  Switched that to a MAVRIK 3W and hated that.  It was very hook biased.  Rogue was far more neutral biased IMO.  If you have a shaft that gives you confidence to make a solid pass at the ball, you’re ahead of the game.

Bottom line, if it works, keep it.  There’s nothing overly better right now.

(I also don’t subscribe to 3W being hard to hit, I think it’s a matter of a ton of folks with a poor fit or don’t bother trying to get fit into a 3W that matches their game.  Ever since I’ve been playing “fit’” 3Ws, they are an absolute weapon.)

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

As someone mentioned above, the biggest recent changes have been with adjustability.  I played a 915fd before I moved to my ts3.  The distance is pretty equal.  I get a little more ball speed on misses, but not much.  I actually preferred the shape of the 915.

Rogue fairways are awesome!  They sound and feel great and will keep up with anything on the market if it fits you right.  If you hit it well, don’t change it.  I want to change my ts3 just because, but it’s effortless for me to hit off the tee and fairway.  

New things are tempting, but lower scores are better.  Unless you just like spending money on gear to test then go for it.  Lord knows I do at times...😂.  It’s always good to test things, but keep what works.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 48* bent to 49*, Sm10 54s bent to 55, 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

On 6/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, ProStryker said:

I have a Cally Rogue 3-wood that I like. I haven’t moved on from it due to the shaft in it that I like.   Has 3 wood tech changed a lot since that model? I have a new Titleist TSI2 driver that I really love, and was wondering about trying the TSI2 3-wood.  Would the Rogue and Tsi2 be comparable in performance, distance and forgiveness wise, or are this years crop of 3woods going to perform better? (i.e. 425 lst, tsi, epic speed)

No it hasn't. If there is a fit issue, you can find some improvement with a better fit. Otherwise, you're unlikely to see a benefit from upgrading IMO. 

Heck, an X2 Hot Pro can keep up with anything out there, and it's way older than the Rogue (I think).

If I found a fairway wood I loved I'd but 3 of the identical setup so I never had to be on that search again. Driving iron, drivers, irons, wedges, putters I could choose from any number of setups and be alright with all of it. Not as good as fully fit items but just fine like we all did before all these options. But a fairway wood? It's incredibly finicky for me and has been my whole life.

Whatever you do don't sell the one you have! Even if you get something new and fall in love don't sell the Rogue.

On 6/28/2021 at 11:59 PM, ChipNRun said:

I came to my senses about 11 years ago. I have used 4W + 7W ever since (switched models a couple of times).

What I did? I found a woman's Rogue 7W (a demo) for around $100. The head specs (loft, lie angle and weight) are same for both male and female Rogue 7W versions. Had my golfsmith refit with R-flex shaft, and it's been happily ever after.

For your favorite FW model, compare female and male 7W specs. See if they also match.

I have a similar story.  I bought my wife an epic flash 7 wood but she loves her old ping.  I ended up pulling the shaft and throwing a men’s shaft in the adapter and love that thing.  I don’t know why I waited so long.  I still have a 3 wood but then skip to 7 wood.  Gapping is a little long but not too bad and my goals from that far out are not overly precise.

to answer the op question, rogue 3 wood is solid.  Still guys on the tour rocking it.

Edited by jomatty

As others have stated, the Rogue is not stale, plenty of modern tech with carbon, jailbreak etc... IMHO the fairways today are a bit more about look/feel to the eye then performance of the club.

Do you prefer a bigger head or more compact? Neutral or slightly draw?

Like ChipNRun, I am a big fan of the 4w. I have the speed to hit a 3w but having 1.5-2d more loft, slightly smaller clubhead suits my eye better. Also from the deck, my courses are not super tight manicured fairways: the help is welcome.

I gamed the Rogue 4w for two years. Its my backup now only because the mavrik subzero sits a bit more open to my eye and I like to tinker a tad. 

I see no reason it won't be with me for 10y other then Callaway CPO deals 🙂 

2 hours ago, jomatty said:

I have a similar story.  I bought my wife an epic flash 7 wood but she loves her old ping.  I ended up pulling the shaft and throwing a men’s shaft in the adapter and love that thing.  I don’t know why I waited so long.  I still have a 3 wood but then skip to 7 wood.  Gapping is a little long but not too bad and my goals from that far out are not overly precise.

to answer the op question, rogue 3 wood is solid.  Still guys on the tour rocking it.

Epic Flash 7 wood is an awesome club.  Easy to hit off the deck, and good off the tee on 200+ par 3s or if you just need a safe tee shot.  Plus, available in LH, and adjustable.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I don't think it's changed enough that you'll gain much by switching out your rogue, obviously unless you have a personal preference or swing that favors one or the other. I still game the original RBZ 3w and it'll probably stay in the bag until it's not playable anymore. I've hit others over the years and nothing has knocked it out of the bag. It's long, straight, and forgiving enough, and when something goes awry it's because I put a bad swing on it.  

I have an old Adams BTY 14.5 Degree Tour Head with an NVS 105 X in it and I've yet to find anything better.  Thing is a straight up high launching CANNON!!!

I also have a 16 Degree Original Adams Idea Pro Tour Head that I can't kick out yet either...  Both with Victory Cords TOO!!!  I still have about 40 of those that I keep in a plastic container to keep them from drying out... IMG_5338.JPEG.9162d994f223497cfaacea4d3c3ab264.JPEG

IMG_5339.JPEG.70870e87e0b8a28dd10d5845615c2b72.JPEG

IMG_5340.JPEG.94d8e349a17f9c2c4be6bf46b10c5555.JPEG

IMG_5342.JPEG.7055bd6fdfeb242a098fbaa4b8858aa1.JPEG

IMG_5343.JPEG.b68a0d2382326dac918f592ef1ea6242.JPEG

IMG_5344.JPEG.3f3f91fec39c8fd92ec38491dd1c995a.JPEG

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 - 10 Degree - C1 - T1 - XC-6 S 44.75"

Titleist TSR3 - 15 Degree - C1 - T1 - Tensei 1K Black 75S 

Titleist TSR3 - 18 Degree - C1 - T1 - Tensei 1K Black 85S 

FliHi Pro 3 - 20 Degrees - ProjectXU 6.0

MP-18 - 4, 5 MMC FliHi, 6 SC, 7, 8, 9 Blade - Oban CT-125 S

Mack Daddy Forged 50, 54 @ 55 and 60 DG S200's

All Irons and Wedges 4 Degrees Flat

Golf Pride Victory Cords on all the above - IYKYK!!!

Ping Cadence Ketsch - 34" w/ SuperStroke Wrist Lock