MEMBER REVIEWS: Cobra King 3D Printed Putters! See What Members Are Saying!

2147068973_CobraMemberTesting.png.c327e8a765ab85e215e48fd944e0549f.png.160067caca995a9dcaa71642a323697e.png

We have 5 members testing out the new Cobra King 3D Printed putters and ready to start giving their reviews. Please feel free to ask these members any questions you might have as well, they will be happy to answer. The testers are...

@squishyy

@stevemac

@505

@cwilk

@cflo2382

We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Cobra Golf for putting on this testing event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just want to say thank you to GolfWRX and Cobra for the opportunity to test out this putter. I'm super excited to take part in this review! I've always gamed a blade putter so I went with the Grandsport-35. I received the putter last week and my first impression in one word is "futuristic". I'm looking to get out this week and weekend to do some testing and will report back with some pictures and an on-course (and practice green) initial review.

Edited by cflo2382

Awesome!  I look forward to reading the reviews!  Congrats!

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Congrats everyone. Enjoy your new putters!

Looking forward to hearing what all of you think.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I’m thankful for the opportunity to test and appreciate GolfWRX and Cobra for making it happen. 

My current putter is a 2016 Cleveland HB#1 in 34” so I opted for the Grandsport-35 in 34” so that it would be similar to what I was playing. My son plays a 2016 Select Newport 2, so I’ll do some comparison to that as well. Even if only indoors on our putting mat. 

Mine showed up last Thursday, 6/24. I’ve only taken an in-box photo because I wanted to wait to take more after I took off the plastic and product label decal. Then I forgot to do it. I’ve already played two rounds with the putter and have some initial thoughts. I’ll get more photos, detailed specs, and thoughts posted this evening. 

552C806F-93AC-4CF2-ACEC-E6F11E7979D9.jpeg

• Like 1

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Cobra King 3D Printed Putter Review

Supernova

Here is the long awaited review of the King 3D Printed Supernova Putter that I received as part of the member testing program. First things first, I'd like to thank GolfWRX for this wonderful opportunity to be chosen to be a part of this program. It's not common that us "amateurs" are selected as part of this program to provide our own vision and insight and most of all our own unique experience. Now, here is my absolute honest review and pictures of the Supernova putter. Hopefully, you guys are able to get a sense to decide whether this putter is for you.

I received the King 3D Printed Supernova putter late last week and was able to get some rounds in and truly test it out at the infamous Bethpage Black course.

First, here are some pictures that I have taken to show you what the putter looks like --

Visual Looks

IMG_7089.jpg.ae3ac8198638b43d2572e552269261c0.jpgIMG_7091.jpg.0d09114c4176e648332c89c42f9ffe07.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg.86d1947db7852a1b8850e8441299b2ba.jpgIMG_7093.jpg.00a0f243fac8f4c064527fc5de1606d2.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg.ecb895945deaa01ba0fc6861a03320cd.jpg

The Supernova putter is visually stunning. At first, I was a bit drawn back at how big the putter is. But after going over the details of the putter carefully, the Supernova was very well designed and well built. You can clearly see the 3D printed nylon lattice, the forged aluminum, and the tungsten weights in the "toes" of the putter. Looking down at the putter, the silver forged aluminum has a brush-like finish so sun glare was not an issue at all.  

IMG_7105.jpg.02ca44e3d9515f9404c7fecee6ca60ed.jpg

With not just the white line on the topline, the lines on the "toes" of the putter also help increase the alignment capabilities. Putting on line became very easy! The Supernova was one of the most unique putters I have ever seen and experienced. The color of the putter was also just as awesome!

Feel and Sound

So this was the part of the review that I had the most trouble reviewing. There are pros and cons to the putter. Sorry!!!

My current gamer is a Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec at 34". A ball rolling on the face is very smooth and there is a slight click whenever the ball is hit. Well, the Supernova was completely the opposite.

But first, let's talk about the Sik Face technology that's incorporated in this putter - with 4 different lofts in each row of the face. I rolled a ball on the face and noticed that the face is very grippy, almost grabbing the ball before it starts rolling. This definitely made putting very difficult, forcing me to putt harder to engage the roll and control the distance. The long milling on the face are also very sharp. Make sure to have a towel ready to clean the face frequently as it will attract dirt, grass, or whatever it can grab. 

Second, this putter is heavy! At 380g for the head alone, I'm not sure if there is an option to change the tungsten weight or if there is a replaceable sole to lighten the head a little more. The heavy head caused a lot of distance control issues and with the Sik Face technology I felt like I have never putt before. It was quite the learning experience the past couple of days. 

Lastly, so what about the sound? A louder click-ting-ish sound occurs whenever the ball is hit but barely noticeable. This is mostly attributed to the multi-material of the putter. The nylon lattice probably dampened the sound a bit. It did not affect my putting at all so for those who base feel on sound I don't think this will affect you at all as well. It certainly didn't disappoint in this area.

Performance

How do I rate the performance of this putter? It's consistency, balance, and roll. This putter wants to enhance a straight back straight through putting stroke. Any divergence from that you will be punished with either a toe or heel hit or even an imbalanced putting stroke. So, I went ahead and tested those missed hits just in case it happens. A toe hit or a heel hit compromised the distance but the ball still rolled really well. I was quite surprised by this as I know that my putting stroke is not 100% all the time so I am confident to say that those mishits are somewhat okay for me if it ever happens. Now, the putter has a heavy weight but it feels really balanced. The included stock grip made this putter easy to use. However, I feel that the grip is meant for those with larger hands. It certainly wasn't for me. Ball rolled true no matter where I hit it on the face. I have not seen the ball hop at all and I have to give credit to the Sik face.

Performance wise, it didn't outperform but it also didn't fail in any areas.

Summary

Overall, I would give this putter an 8/10. Why? The heavy weight of the head and the milling on the Sik Face took some getting used to. It's not meant for everyone and is unique in their own standards. I'd love to see a swappable version of this putter in terms of the weight for a freer putting stroke and maybe a slightly less milled version of the Sik Face to prevent the ball from grabbing. Additionally, there was an even smaller gripe with the putter that I have not mentioned. The shiny piece on the sole that has the "KING" inscription is somewhat sticky, meaning that if the putter was soled it might possibly catch the grass on the green and cause a hiccup on the backswing. 

In the end, this putter was enjoyable to test and play with. If it ever comes down to me transitioning into mallet putters, this is one putter that I would most likely look into and recommend for all others to try.

Here are a few more pictures for your viewing pleasure --

IMG_7102.jpg.e558dad79535764ffd8121124b67ebf7.jpgIMG_7103.jpg.a1d39e9958a2c6091eb98ce06d60611e.jpgIMG_7101.jpg.a1f230fcbcc6379ea366de01d138f637.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

• Like 4

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

First thoughts on the Grandsport-35 I’m testing. I really dislike Cobra’s color choices, but you can’t see the neon at address. I feel like overall, Cobra tries way too hard with their neon colors. I want at least 1 neutral stock color option with most clubs. It does look more techy/sharp with the squared shape as opposed to my Anser/Newport style putter. I don’t really have a preference in shape/edges. They both look good to me. The head cover is pretty loud too as it’s larger than most blade head covers and has the loud neon green/yellow on it. I ordered my test putter in 34”. The head is supposed to come in at 375 grams with a 99 gram grip. The swing weight for mine came in at D5.  This feels much better/more stable to me already compared to my HB. 

First round with the Grandsport was not great because it took several holes to get used to the weight versus my HB #1 (345 grams). I like the weight of the Grandsport head because I feel like my current putter isn’t stable enough on shorter putts. I ended up hitting several putts too far past the hole and had touchy putts coming back. I had 19 putts on my first 9 and 15 on the second. Normal for me is around 15 per side depending on how many greens I hit.

When considering the putter I was most interested in the SIK face. I’ve wanted to try a SIK putter, but I wasn’t interested in paying what they want for one. I know it will take more rounds to see if the SIK face makes a difference in scoring, but the first round didn’t result in any obvious advantage over my HB or other putters I’ve used in the past. I think it is something that would help maybe 1x a round, but would benefit over time when looking at averages. I watched the TXG video on the Supersport tech when it hit YouTube, so I know the tech works. I’m just not sure it will actually amount to a scoring difference on the course. I did NOT notice any feeling of the grooves affecting impact with the ball or “stickiness”. However, my HB had pretty sharp milling on its face and I remember thinking it felt like the ball was sticking to it. So maybe I’m just used to the feeling. I’ll do some side by side comparison with my son’s Scotty as it has a smoother face. 

I’ve never used Arccos, as I keep track of stats manually and don’t want to deal with an app while playing golf. But I’ll give it a go since a sensor came with the putter. More on that to follow. 

I was concerned about the putter grip because it looked big in photos and I didn’t dig into the specs to see the size, but it isn’t overly large. Although it’s a different shape, it’s not much bigger than my SS Flatso 1.0 on my HB. I took some photos to compare it against my grip and my sons medium SC Matador grip. They are all fairly close in size despite being different shapes. 

I don’t believe this putter price of $350 is justified for what you get. There is zero about the 3D printing that speaks to me. I don’t see any benefit in the KBS CT Putter shaft either, though I doubt there is much cost difference due to the shaft. If I were to buy one of Cobra’s new putters I’d lean toward the vintage line because you get the SIK face at $100 less. I like the weight options in that line too, though they are overpriced to me as well at $25 per weight. The Vintage with SIK face and weights would have been perfect at a price point under $200 in my opinion.  

The weather here in the southeast Texas area has been non-stop rain since this weekend with more to come. So hopefully I will get out for some more rounds this week so I can follow up with additional thoughts. I’ll get some indoors testing for sure and if anyone has any questions/requests please let me know. 

7203E651-5ACB-4A3A-9BDB-5EE7B5BC5A17.jpeg

4D78A991-2B13-40E2-BA8B-49AA1A44F7B3.jpeg

7C3EA9B1-8CD6-4741-9E7B-F318EB1E6470.jpeg

3595FF88-83E6-46FB-8B6F-907C64E3D57E.jpeg

32948153-308A-46B8-8DCD-3125361D86A6.jpeg

4862F3C2-8D8A-47C6-8A1F-7620F94D61FB.jpeg

04D4F607-B845-4A45-81E6-017D24A4BAEF.jpeg

3DB0CC68-6B21-42E8-9558-188F8AD4D7B3.jpeg

2FFD6BFA-7D02-4CD6-BC37-869C51E68F7C.jpeg

2318593D-B8BC-4707-9012-F35BC0551170.jpeg

BED0E8CC-A16C-4E4B-A2B2-15238D496704.jpeg

Edited by cwilk
  • Like 3

Interesting reviews so far. Thanks for the effort everyone!

As I learned in my experience with the Bettinardi reviews, it does take some time to get used to a new design - particularly if it is a vast departure from what you are used to. Give it some time and a little work, and I imagine these putters have the potential to perform just fine.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

23 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Looking forward to this! My local GG is not going to carry these in house which is a bummer so my purchase will spring from the backs of you testers.

Club Champion has the Mallets in their putter studios to test and buy

• Thanks 1

D - Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 @ N/S w/ Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60tx

2H - Ping G430 w/ Accra TZ5 90H M5, FLAT

4H - Ping G430 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

DI - Ping iCrossover 4iron w/ Tensei CK PRO Orange 90tx

5&6 Edel SMS, 7-PW Edel SMS Pro w/ Accra TZi 105

Wedges - Callaway JAWS RAW 52W @ 51, 56W @ 54, 60X @ 60, 60Z @ 62 w/ Accra iSteel Wedge 120, Z Grind Gamer has a BGT ZNE 130 

Grips - SuperStroke S-Tech Cord (White) 2+2 

Putter - My TaylorMade TP Soto w/ Mitsubishi MMT & SuperStroke Tour 3.0 17 @ 38.5" 

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

SuperStroke TXR1000 Rangefinder, Ping Tour Glove, UnderArmour 

I was able to get out for nine holes yesterday evening and spent about 15 minutes on the practice green before the round. The group behind us was pretty slow so I had some time to get a few extra putts in on the course greens as well. I do want to mention that I have also spent a lot of time putting indoors on my Green Moss with this, too.

Background & Model/Setup: I'm based in Michigan, play about 2-3 times a week, and hover between a 3-4 HC. I consider myself a decent putter, averaging about 30 putts per round. My gamer is a custom Lajosi Sensor slant-neck, 35", carbon steel, at 355g. I also game and did all testing with the 2019 ProV1x for reference. I went with the Grandsport-35 at 35", completely stock build. As mentioned in my first entry post, I've always gamed a blade putter so I figured this would be the best test for me and hopefully some comparable feedback for my fellow blade players.

Looks: Futuristic. I think this putter was mailed to my doorstep from 2085. I've never seen anything like it. Definitely a lot going on with it from a visual aspect. However, looks wise, it's not for me. I don't like multi-color putters and I certainly don't like the lime green that Cobra uses for the paint fill. I'd like to see a cleaner look to this and would really dig a blacked out version. The putter head is rather large overall which takes some getting used to. Of course, this is all personal preference and I'm sure the color theme works just fine for others. I just prefer a cleaner and slimmer look.

Technology: As far as tech goes.. Again, a lot going on here. 3D printed nylon lattice, steel chasis, forged aluminum, tungsten weighting, and of course the SIK face. Lets not forget the CT putter shaft and Arccos grip! My Lajosi is literally just a hunk of milled carbon steel with some medium face milling 😆.

I like the concept behind the 3D printed lattice in the center and adding all the other heavier materials to the perimeter of the putter to create the higher MOI. I made sure to test some slightly heel and toe strikes and I was quite impressed on the consistency of the speed/roll that it produced. Something that I would have been punished for a bit more with my Lajosi. It was noticeably more forgiving than other blade putters that I've tried.

The SIK face is what I most looking forward to when testing this putter and it did take some getting used to. It felt like there was a bit of friction there between the face and the ball at impact. As one of the previous testers mentioned, had a somewhat "grippy" feel to it at impact. I felt like I had to hit the ball a little harder to get it to the hole on most putts. I left a few putts short that day on what I felt that I had the right speed based on my stroke and impact. I tried testing out some different angle strikes to see how well the face responded that. It rolled very similar for each one so that was cool to see. Overall, the SIK face will take some getting used to but I definitely saw some advantages on the multi-degree face tech.

KBS CT shaft - Not a fan of it. I actually originally ordered this shaft with my custom Lajosi and it didn't last long before I swapped it out. I just don't like the stiffness of it, I guess. I know some people like this putter shaft but I would like to see another stock shaft option here (and maybe a black option)

Grip/Arccos - The grip is okay. At first glance I thought it was a straight grip all the way through but it does actually have some slight curvature to it on the upper part. Not sure I would call it pistol shaped though. It's right between midsize and jumbo, IMO. I didn't love but didn't hate it. I love my PING Finger Lock grip so I typically don't like other putter grips but I didn't mind this one. I did not setup the Arccos yet but plan on doing so. I've never tested any of the Arccos tech so this will be my first experience with that. I'll be sure to do a follow up on this.

Sound/Feel: I was pleasantly surprised with the sound as I don't normally like the sound of multi-material putters. I find most of them to have a loud "plastic like" sound to them. Some inserts help with that and maybe the SIK face makes a difference here. It's kind of a quiet, soft "tock" and stayed consistent on off center strikes. This is a good/bad thing for me as I like having that sound/feel feedback from off center strikes. As mentioned, the SIK face seemed to have performed the "angle" test for me but it had that grippy feel to it. Oddly, the head weight is 20g heavier than my putter but it had a lighter overall feel to it than my gamer. I couldn't wrap my head around that.

Summary: I think the tech definitely delivers but the looks aren't for me. The forgiveness and consistency are there, that's for sure. But, It's bigger than I would prefer and I'm not a fan of the color scheme. As mentioned, I felt like I had to put a little more into my stroke to get the ball to the hole. Honestly, I'm debating on how far I want to continue on with this testing because I don't want veer away from what I am used to with my gamer.

My overall rating on this putter is 7/10.

Would I game it? Simply put, no. I love my Lajosi. However, I would recommend it to people looking for the tech and forgiveness aspect. I have an older guy at my course that really liked the looks of it so theres that.

Some things I would like to see (personal preference obviously):

- Cleaner look. The Cobra lime green isn't doing it for me. I think this putter would look awesome in an all black theme. This would likely give it a smaller looking appearance, too.

- Another regular stock shaft option (not a fan of the CT shaft).

- Grip options - Sizes, colors, etc.. non Arccos, too

- Headweight options or sell the weights seperately (it looks like they are removable).

- Go magnetic head cover closure. That velcro might start scuffing the black finish on this putter.

I'll keep messing around with it and provide some additional feedback as time goes on. I may have some friends try it out to get some first impressions from them to share as well. I am happy to answer any questions and provide additional pictures, too!

Below are pictures from the course and from home along with some comparisons to my Lajosi:

PXL_20210629_224435776.jpg

PXL_20210629_224407046.jpg

PXL_20210629_222317943.jpg

PXL_20210629_222307628.jpg

PXL_20210629_222259273.jpg

PXL_20210629_222253575.jpg

PXL_20210629_222230048.jpg

PXL_20210630_135640778.jpg

PXL_20210630_135616842.jpg

PXL_20210630_135609346.jpg

PXL_20210630_135536704.jpg

PXL_20210630_135517234.jpg

PXL_20210630_135453873.jpg

PXL_20210630_135436402.jpg

PXL_20210630_135410932.jpg

PXL_20210630_135357960.jpg

PXL_20210630_135332585.jpg

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 4

Thanks to GolfWrx and Cobra for making me a part of the testing!  Early quick impressions-it looks much better out of the plastic and I believe has a very quality, look and feel.  Just back in town from vacation so I plan on taking out this weekend for a couple of rounds -weather permitting.  We have been getting a lot of rain around Houston while I was gone with more coming.  I did play 18 on Saturday before I left, and the greens were still showing the effects of being punched.  Made the first putt I attempted on 1 -15 footer, and a few more around that distance.  Unfortunately I was hitting it so bad, I was more concerned about my swing. 

I did notice my tendencies to come up short when I add loft to my putts did not happen.  Looking forward to a thorough test.  Normally I use a heel shafted or flow neck type of putter, so the face balance is a little different.  It felt very solid and I know some of the putts that I mishit had a much better result than my typical miss.

20210621_170439.jpg

20210621_171611.jpg

SUPERNOVA REVIEW

I was able to get in 18 yesterday but it was a challenge.  The entire front nine was played in the rain so on about #6 keeping the rain drops from not falling on the ball when addressing a putt-a challenge.

Normally, my putter selections tend to be more conservative and more blade than mallets.  From SAM lab testing my pick should be a moderate toe hang.  I also tend to finish very much to the inside, so trying a face balanced mallet was a little out of the norm for me.  Putting has gotten more difficult over the years with age, and inconsistent delivery of the face to the ball with the correct loft has been a challenge.  Consequently I normally finish short and low on my putts, so I was very excited to try this technology.

LOOKS

I had taken a look at these when they first arrived at GG and PGA.  With the lights and the plastic, they looked pretty bold and big.  However, when I received mine and set it down compared to the Pings and Pirettis I have, it did not look completely out of place.  The shape is similar to some of the other popular head shapes on the market.  I do really like the way the alignments are set up and the contrast of finishes on the top of the club.  As mentioned in one of the previous reviews, I did have a concern regarding the silver finish on the top.  The sun did come out yesterday and it was not an issue.

I do like the CT shaft in the putter, and seeing a premium quality product grip like the Lamkin they are using.  Sometimes manufacturers will recycle the same grip from model to model, and my first reaction is to change it out.  The headcover to me is the right mix of tradition with the stitching and the pop with the colors.  It also looks to be of high quality.

FEEL AND PERFORMANCE

For me this putter works.  It does have a little louder click, and the weight may be a little heavier. I was concerned at first with the construction of the face but it works very well. The ball comes off the face and stays on the ground.  I did try Pro V1 '21, Wilson Staff and Srixon XV '21 balls as well to see if there was a difference or feel coming off the face.  The Lamkin grip is one of the few that i would decide to keep. The few misses I had did get to the hole and ended up on the high side.  The Cobra/SIK technology works for me and even poor strokes had a much better chance of going in.

OVERALL

I really like this putter a lot.  It works very well for me and I appreciate the technology in the design of the SIK face and the more precise way to effect COG and MOI with the Cobra 3D.  It will be interesting to see where manufacturers go with product design as we go forward.  Cobra is using  quality manufacturers so I don't feel the need to change something out.  Staying in the bag!!!!!!!!

If there are any questions, please contact me and I will put an update up as I get more time with the Supernova-if it will ever stop raining!  Thanks again Cobra and GolfWRX!!!  Steve

20210625_134611.jpg

I wasn’t able to play any this weekend so I took some video of the Grandsport vs a Newport 2 hitting Pro V1x and Z-Star XV’s to try and give you an idea of how the SIK face sounds compared to a milled head. Then I hit a few softer balls with just the Grandsport. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6gcnP2v5Q

After that, I took a slow motion video hitting a putt at the top of the SIK face and the bottom to see the difference in roll. However, I got a little too low on the head on the low strike. Both were from 7 feet and would have been decent putts on an actual green. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTA0O6t-msQ

2 hours ago, cwilk said:

I wasn’t able to play any this weekend so I took some video of the Grandsport vs a Newport 2 hitting Pro V1x and Z-Star XV’s to try and give you an idea of how the SIK face sounds compared to a milled head. Then I hit a few softer balls with just the Grandsport. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6gcnP2v5Q

After that, I took a slow motion video hitting a putt at the top of the SIK face and the bottom to see the difference in roll. However, I got a little too low on the head on the low strike. Both were from 7 feet and would have been decent putts on an actual green. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTA0O6t-msQ

Yep, good point. I also could be wrong but is that the Newport with the aluminum face? Its crazy how changing balls changes everything. Hit a prov1x then a duo soft...whoa... night and day. so when people say they didnt like the feel, what they usually mean is with the the ball they are playing...its just a mattering of finding the right ball to compliment that. Sometimes you cant, or arent willing to compromise other aspects that ball gives on other parts of the game.

25 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Yep, good point. I also could be wrong but is that the Newport with the aluminum face? Its crazy how changing balls changes everything. Hit a prov1x then a duo soft...whoa... night and day. so when people say they didnt like the feel, what they usually mean is with the the ball they are playing...its just a mattering of finding the right ball to compliment that. Sometimes you cant, or arent willing to compromise other aspects that ball gives on other parts of the game.

The Newport’s have stainless face inserts. Some of the larger head models had the aluminum inserts. 

45 minutes ago, cwilk said:

The Newport’s have stainless face inserts. Some of the larger head models had the aluminum inserts. 

No, i think some of the older models, like 20014-18 had aluminum faces. I could be wrong on the years but they did make em for a few years.

edit: looked it up and i was wrong the newport, newport 2 and 2.5 have stainless inserts, all other between 16-18 including newport 3 have aluminum. Apologies.

Edited by Red4282
  • Thanks 1

I still haven’t attempted to use the Arccos access with this, but did get another round in yesterday. I still feel like the head is too heavy and I’m having trouble adjusting to it. Last round I missed most long, this round I missed most short. I had 20 putts on my front 9 and then started to figure it out and had 16 on the back. While I seem to adapt over a round, it just seems like too much work to make it worthwhile. My Cleveland HB is too light at 245 grams and this is too heavy at 275 grams. I think the sweet spot for me is 255-265 grams. 

I tried to set up the Arccos for this today and didn’t realize it won’t track shots without at least 8 sensors. So it’s worthless to me at the moment. I started the free trial and am now awaiting the free sensor kit to get the shot tracking going so I can get some putter data. 

I also played 9 today and had my best start with this putter so far. Typically I struggle for the front 9 and gradually adjust to end up with a better putting performance on the back 9. Today it was 16 putts with one made from over 50 feet for birdie. I know luck is always at play in those long made putts, but the performance was promising. I only hit 4/9 greens though, so I still had more putts than I’d like to have (~13). But that’s as much of an indictment against my pitching/chipping as it is my putting. 

I am very confused/torn. I rolled an Agera at the PGATSS yesterday and somehow absolutely loved it -- i'm typically a blade type player. 

couldn't tell what it was about this version but...if i had a few bucks to throw towards a new putter i might honestly consider one. i may need a drink. or quit drinking -- one of the two. 

@COBRA PUMA GOLF if you would like a thorough review of the Agera i'd be MORE than happy to do so. seems this thread is...dead...

Edited by gioguy21
  • Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

7 hours ago, gioguy21 said:

I am very confused/torn. I rolled an Agera at the PGATSS yesterday and somehow absolutely loved it -- i'm typically a blade type player. 

couldn't tell what it was about this version but...if i had a few bucks to throw towards a new putter i might honestly consider one. i may need a drink. or quit drinking -- one of the two. 

@COBRA PUMA GOLF if you would like a thorough review of the Agera i'd be MORE than happy to do so. seems this thread is...dead...

Yea i dont get it either… i think everyone gets caught up in the futuristic looks and highlighter green accents, which i am not a fan if either but man, my putter just flat out performs. 

I've messed around with the Grandsport on and off since my first initial review post. As mentioned previously, the forgiveness and roll consistency are fantastic. The feel and sound are great, too. I don't really feel that "grippy/grabby" feeling off the face like I initially did. I've had a few friends try it out and most of them liked it, too.

Is it fair to say that I am caught up in the looks of this? Yeah, I'm picky (it's okay, we all have our own personal preferences). It's for sure a putter that would take me several rounds and practice green trips to get used to without cycling in my gamer. When it comes to putting, how the putter actually looks at address is huge for me. I'm still baffled by the size of this thing compared to what I am used to. I never really got comfortable with that and not sure that I ever would... And that's no ones fault but my own personal preference. The lime green accents are just whatever. That's Cobra's thing and I respect it. It's a nice putter. Aesthetically, It's just not for me.

Side note: I would love to try the other two models. Perhaps eliminate the blade to blade comparison might give me a different look perspective in the "at address" department.

• Like 2

The rain won't stop down here in SE Texas but I have been able to get out a few more times with the Supernova.  I do really like it.  Yes the sound is a little different, but for me the sound and feel is always different with an insert putter.  this is not too soft and not too hard.  There are also different sounds and feels with milled putters.

What I do know, is this putter puts a really good roll on it.  The course I played last weekend had a lot of rain and had not mowed the greens so they were a little slower.  I was able to adjust to the speed and the Supernova gave me very consistent results.  In the past, I would have had a bunch of putts coming up even shorter than normal-a function of my stroke too-but that was not the case.  Looks like only 20% rain tomorrow so I hopeful to be able to review with closer to normal greens.  Play well this weekend!!!

• Like 2

On 7/15/2021 at 6:29 AM, gioguy21 said:

I chose the Agera Arm-Lock and am just waiting for it to get here. Last I heard 3 weeks ago it was shipping around 7/15, so hoping to have it here soon.

• Like 1

D - MyStealth+ 9* - Ventus Black 5X 

3w - Sim 14* - Diamana A'hina 60X

5w - M3 19* - Diamana B70X

4h - M1 21* - Kuro Kage Black 80X

5i-PW - P770-20 - DG 105VSS X100

50/55/60 - RTX Zipcore - DG Spinner

P - 2-ball Protype Black

On 7/15/2021 at 7:29 AM, gioguy21 said:

I’m still using/testing my Grandsport. I played 18 last Sunday after my last post and had another poor putting day. 38 putts total with a lot coming up way too short. I’m just struggling with it. It’s not the head shape because I putted closer to 30 putts a round with my HB #1 that I felt was too light. They are both the same playing length with steel shafts and similar size grips. So it has to be either the weight or face/insert causing me the issues. I think they are ugly, but could have ignored that if it performed for me. So far it doesn’t. I would have dropped a putter that performed like this for me much sooner if it wasn’t a test putter. 

I’m in SE Texas too, and we’ve only had one dry day this week since Sunday and it was a range day for my son. Prepping him for next weeks tournament. I’m hoping to get 9 holes in today and more this weekend. I have the rest of the Arccos sensors arriving tomorrow so I plan to get some actual putting stats soon as well that I can share visually here with app screenshots. 

22 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Yea i dont get it either… i think everyone gets caught up in the futuristic looks and highlighter green accents, which i am not a fan if either but man, my putter just flat out performs. 

Unfortunately mine does not perform for me. I’m sure a Quintic monitor would show a great roll based on the SIK face technology, but I don’t see it being a guarantee for improvement on course if it’s not paired with a putter that otherwise is a great fit.