Mini drivers the next hot trend???

tsecor

17 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Might work out better if they put in heavier shafts.  I don't want one with a sub 65g stiff shaft, but 80+ I would certainly entertain.

The SLDR version had an optional 70+ gram shaft that really made the club work. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 minute ago, me05501 said:

The SLDR version had an optional 70+ gram shaft that really made the club work. 

But I don't want "optional", or 70+, 80+ Diamana white Stiff at 43" and off to the races.  It is harder to find shafts of this weight anymore in Stiff where I can tip it a bit more as I please.

A Revolving Door

On 6/29/2021 at 9:30 PM, GatorNate11 said:

If mini drivers are coming back, why not small drivers, too? Is a 380-420cc driver really too much to ask? 

I agree that 380 CC to 420 CC is a more sensible driver head size than 460 CC . However OEM club head designers have as the goal "best shot results from a mishit", and the computer modeling always reveals that a larger head produces better shots from a mishit.

If the designers had  "head size that consistently produces the most solid strikes" as a goal,  then head sizes would not be so large, and this includes all clubs, from driver thru the putter.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

I agree that 380 CC to 420 CC is a more sensible driver head size than 460 CC . However OEM club head designers have as the goal "best shot results from a mishit", and the computer modeling always reveals that a larger head produces better shots from a mishit.

If the designers had  "head size that consistently produces the most solid strikes" as a goal,  then head sizes would not be so large, and this includes all clubs, from driver thru the putter.

I would be all over a 380cc-400cc driver.  As it is I game a 440cc driver and prefer that over a 460cc head. 

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

3 minutes ago, tungstenplug said:

I can see how it may benefit a guy who has driver yips, or has trouble hitting a small headed 3 wood off the tee

It’ll help until he uses it a dozen times a round for a couple months and develops the mini-driver mini-yips. 

lather rinse repeat

• Haha 1

I love my TM original one 11.5 degree.  It's not my "everyday" driver in the bag.  I use a SIM/VA Drago set up most of the time.  But when I know I'm playing a shorter or tighter course I'll throw in the Original One and let it go to work.  The thing is a beast.

Yes, they are niche.  However, I do believe they have a place in some golf bags.

Seeing the TM Mini driver convinced me something similar withing my budget range would help my driving woes. I ended up trying various clubs and spent about $150 and I finally got it right. Maybe I should have just bought a used TM on ebay, but I'm not complaining I hit my 2 wood great. After seeing Phil win the PGA I'm building a 48" driver for the par 5's at my home course.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

6 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

I wanted to pick up one of the pre-460cc favorites like R510TP (390cc) before finding a 460cc driver I can draw.  Figured I didn't have a problem driving sub 250cc heads in the past, and I'm sure early 2000s drivers are just fine for playing golf today.

If R510TP, 983K, Launcher, and others were great drivers back then and still pretty good today, I gotta believe that new designs at 400cc with today's technology would be amazing.  Forget mini driver, let's see 400cc "midsize"!

• Like 4

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

1 hour ago, joostin said:

I wanted to pick up one of the pre-460cc favorites like R510TP (390cc) before finding a 460cc driver I can draw.  Figured I didn't have a problem driving sub 250cc heads in the past, and I'm sure early 2000s drivers are just fine for playing golf today.

If R510TP, 983K, Launcher, and others were great drivers back then and still pretty good today, I gotta believe that new designs at 400cc with today's technology would be amazing.  Forget mini driver, let's see 400cc "midsize"!

I absolutely loved the Titleist 905T and 905S.  Both were 400cc and a great traditional pear shape.  Add modern advances to that and I’d go back to Titleist.  Or better yet, Taylormade create a driver that’s 400cc and a classic pear shape with the modern technology and I’ll buy today!

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 2

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I found a NOS 360cc driver and had reward points I needed to use. It's older, but looked interesting for $35. Founders Club The Judge. 🤣

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Own two of the Callaway Mini 1.5's, 14 degree.  Have had one in the bag for, probably, 3 years.  Love them!  Driver is longer, but if I have to hit a narrow fairway it's the Mini that I can depend on.  Have two holes at our home course that require a tee shot that is almost impossible for me with the driver.  It does serve as a backup driver, not a fairway wood.  Some may think carrying two clubs for tee shots wastes a spot in the bag.  Mickelson will argue that... for certain course setups.  I'll back up his argument.

• Like 4

On 6/29/2021 at 6:56 PM, Titleist84 said:

I'll stick with my Sim 2 Ti 3 wood for an alternate club to use off the tee.

^^^This.  I've been on a long quest for a proper 3 wood for long/accurate tee shots and still be easy to hit off the deck.  

Found the SIM2 to feel "right" in my hands and hitting it so pure.  Par'd every single par 4 hole teeing off with this club (long and straight) on my last round out.  Have it set to the stock 15° and afraid to mess with it.

• Like 1

I used to carry a mini driver. Great club. But then I thought why not just go with a second full sized driver. I'm long enough to never need a 3 wood into greens and/or bad enough to not want to go for a green from 270+ anyway, so it's always an off the tee club. Grabbed a 12* PXG Proto driver, added much heavier head weights, went with a 43" 85g shaft and haven't looked back. More forgiving, and plenty long, but not too long. I end up using it on most tee shots unless it's an open hole where I can let my regular driver go. My regular driver I have at 46" and 6*. I find it a great and more productive two clubs instead of using mini driver or regular 3 wood.

• Like 3

I like the idea of having a higher lofted, shorter/heavier  (44") driver when I need to turn it over and the other driver being fade biased/ anti-left and an inch longer or so.  I find hitting a consistent draw with modern heads a little more challenging and 3 woods tend to be too easy to turn over for me.  Something in the middle sounds very appealing. 

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

Haven't seen this posted yet..

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/300-Mini-Driver/DW-TA001.html?lang=default&cgid=taylormade-drivers#lang=default&start=5&

Same lofts and length as the OO, +32CC head size. Crown looks nice, but I've always hated the face being a "raw" color.

I'll probably order one anyway as I have literally no place to go but up with my tee game. Now i use a 19* hybrid or a GI 4-iron to get that job done and hit most fairways. Only a select few courses around home really would even call for a driver, something like this could be useful.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AyeAre10 said:

Haven't seen this posted yet..

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/300-Mini-Driver/DW-TA001.html?lang=default&cgid=taylormade-drivers#lang=default&start=5&

Same lofts and length as the OO, +32CC head size. Crown looks nice, but I've always hated the face being a "raw" color.

I'll probably order one anyway as I have literally no place to go but up with my tee game. Now i use a 19* hybrid or a GI 4-iron to get that job done and hit most fairways. Only a select few courses around home really would even call for a driver, something like this could be useful.

Sounds exactly like what many here on Wrx have been screaming for, 300cc head with modern tech. Lets see how many buy one (I'm guessing not many will).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

2 hours ago, Bad9 said:

Sounds exactly like what many here on Wrx have been screaming for, 300cc head with modern tech. Lets see how many buy one (I'm guessing not many will).

I'm interested, but it's over $300 and that's out of my comfort level. Maybe a bunch will be on the BST in 6 months and I can get one on sale.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

3 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I'm interested, but I'm sure it's over $300 and that's out of my comfort level. Maybe a bunch will be on the BST in 6 months and I can get one on sale.

The TM Original One Mini, which came out 2 years ago is still selling used for over $300 on ebay in left hand. You can find the SLDR mini cheaper.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

17 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I'm interested, but it's over $300 and that's out of my comfort level. Maybe a bunch will be on the BST in 6 months and I can get one on sale.

I doubt it is going to take 6 months to start seeing the 300 Mini on the BST.  I would bet within a month there will be several.  This is why I am going to demo one from my course if I am able.  If not then I may just wait for the BST ads.

Canadian Pre-order at $530.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

20 minutes ago, lefty1978 said:

The TM Original One Mini, which came out 2 years ago is still selling used for over $300 on ebay in left hand. You can find the SLDR mini cheaper.

Yeah, I looked at an SLDR for $75 and figured I would wait. The Judge (360cc) was new for $33 shipped with a pretty nice shaft. If the smaller head works out, then I might look more seriously.

I've seen Original Ones for under $150. I bet this winter there will be at least a few on ebay.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

3 hours ago, lefthack said:

Yeah, I looked at an SLDR for $75 and figured I would wait. The Judge (360cc) was new for $33 shipped with a pretty nice shaft. If the smaller head works out, then I might look more seriously.

I've seen Original Ones for under $150. I bet this winter there will be at least a few on ebay.

Original One values soared after Phil put one in play. I expect eBay prices to normalize in another month after the 300s roll out and the O.O. hysteria dies down.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

On 6/29/2021 at 2:37 PM, elwhippy said:

No chance. A lame marketing ploy. 

Not a ploy. Just filling a niche. These clubs have been around for 20 years. (SLDR, RBZ Mini, Bertha Mini, Rapture, Original One). They're not for everyone, but there is clearly a market 1B drivers/large 3 woods. They wouldn't keep making them if people didn't buy them, and people wouldn't buy them if they didn't serve a purpose.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5