Full time sunday bag use?

I have the new 2020 Ping Moonlite and love it. I was wondering if anyone uses it or any other sunday bags full time. I want to travel with it since its small profile keeps it easy to travel with but don’t want it to be swapped out by caddies constantly. I rarely ever see other sunday bags in the wild so was just curious what everyone else does.

I use my Moonlite almost 100% of the time when I carry my own bag with anywhere between 10-14 clubs. I usually switch to a Hoofer Lite (and a full 14 clubs) when I play with a caddie cuz they seem to prefer working with a stand bag and don't seem to mind the xtra couple lbs. But the Moonlite is a very well-executed take on a Sunday bag. Pocket layout is awesome, though the weird mesh water bottle holder and extra mesh pocket are kind of useless. I love mine; I love the Hoofer Lite as well, but the Moonlite carries much lighter. I can't remember the last time I needed more pocket space than the Moonlite offers, and I never fill the full side pocket on the HL.

I suppose a Craz-e-lite would satisfy both needs. Haven't tried one yet. If Ping made a Hoofer Super Lite (like a HL with no full side pocket but the heavier nylon that the HL uses vs. Craz-e-lite lightweight material) it would probably be my ideal everyday bag. Or a MoonHoofer stand bag.

6 hours ago, Mugnut said:

I use my Moonlite almost 100% of the time when I carry my own bag with anywhere between 10-14 clubs. I usually switch to a Hoofer Lite (and a full 14 clubs) when I play with a caddie cuz they seem to prefer working with a stand bag and don't seem to mind the xtra couple lbs. But the Moonlite is a very well-executed take on a Sunday bag. Pocket layout is awesome, though the weird mesh water bottle holder and extra mesh pocket are kind of useless. I love mine; I love the Hoofer Lite as well, but the Moonlite carries much lighter. I can't remember the last time I needed more pocket space than the Moonlite offers, and I never fill the full side pocket on the HL.

I suppose a Craz-e-lite would satisfy both needs. Haven't tried one yet. If Ping made a Hoofer Super Lite (like a HL with no full side pocket but the heavier nylon that the HL uses vs. Craz-e-lite lightweight material) it would probably be my ideal everyday bag. Or a MoonHoofer stand bag.

That extra mesh pocket on the side works really well as a rangefinder holder. Not sure if that is the intended use or not though.

4 hours ago, Tmiller72 said:

I use the Vessel sunday bag full time.   I walk 99% of the time, but I rode today and the bag fits fine on a cart.

How many clubs do you carry in this thing?  I have a Jones Utility (OG) and with 13 clubs it can feel a little bulky to carry.  I use a push cart mostly but carrying a lighter bag with legs sounds kind of nice....

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

12 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

How many clubs do you carry in this thing?  I have a Jones Utility (OG) and with 13 clubs it can feel a little bulky to carry.  I use a push cart mostly but carrying a lighter bag with legs sounds kind of nice....

14. It's a little tight, but not terrible.  Although, I wish it had a 3 way divider instead of a 2 way.  Just to keep the clubs more organized.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tmiller72 said:

14. It's a little tight, but not terrible.  Although, I wish it had a 3 way divider instead of a 2 way.  Just to keep the clubs more organized.

I actually find the 2 way divider in the Jones bags better for club tangle.  My Utility has 3 and has a little more tangle then my Jones Players had with the 2.  I will have to look at some more specs on the Vessel.  Thanks!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

90% of my rounds have been with a 2020 Moonlite since I got it late last year. I typically carry 10-12 clubs with no problem, so 14 wouldn't be a big deal unless you have extra large grips.  I can fit a wind shirt/light rain jacket, extra water and snacks, etc. with room to spare --- only time I've switched is in rounds with rain to bring extra towels and rain gear.  I didn't even know it had an umbrella holder until last month!

It is a really well executed bag and for $130, it's a relative bargain. 

Satisfied my urge for a Sunday bag yesterday... I had some store credit so I decided to take the leap.  Didn't think my local store would have much but when I got there I was surprised to see the options.  Lots of Vessels, a linksmaster, a few Titleist carbons... I was kind of looking for something light enough to carry if I wanted to so even though the linksmaster was nice, it was just too heavy and the pockets were not great, just felt pretty tight.  Super nice bag though.  The Vessel Lite almost came home with me but I decided to go smaller. Even though it has one strap, I'm going to give it a run and see how it does on my clicgear, and for a carry.  It holds the 13 clubs I use pretty well, a little tight but not worse than my Jones, and holds everything else I need really.  The water bottle pocket isn't big enough for a hydroflask but will easy hold plastic water bottles.  I will report back after having it on the course.  

It looks great, and the quality is there, no doubt.

20210718_193004.jpg

Edited by Nixhex524
  • Like 2

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I usually see the "players" group going out a couple days a week at my club, you know the kind of group that plays for a reasonably large amount of money and has a bunch of +2 to 3hcp guys playing off the back tees. There are two of the younger members of that group who I always see carrying the Titleist small carry bags without stands. Looks like they have maybe 9-10 clubs in there but I've never gotten an up-close look at exactly which clubs they carry.

So on the one hand I always wonder why a hacker like me carries 13 or 14 clubs if these guys only need 9 or 10 to shoot around par or better and play for real money. On the other hand, they could probably give me five strokes a side and beat me like a drum if they were playing with two clubs so no surprise I might need a little more help from a full set of clubs than they do.

17 hours ago, North Butte said:

So on the one hand I always wonder why a hacker like me carries 13 or 14 clubs if these guys only need 9 or 10 to shoot around par or better and play for real money.

I'm not a great golfer by any means but for at least for me there is not a single shot or yardage I hit with 14 clubs that I can't hit with 8.  So why carry the extra weight?  Just my take on it and how I approach golf these days.

• Like 1

I carry a Jones Players sunday bag all the time right now.  When I started playing golf I idolized the club champ at my old club.  He was the only guy who carried a sunday bag 100% of the time and maybe I thought some of his skill would rub off on me if I got one too.  I have used stand bags and push carts, but I really like the sunday bag for size, light weight and simplicity.  I've used a Ping moonlite and went through several generations of Titleist sunday bags, eventually wearing each of them out until I found the Jones brand.

PXL_20210709_012239974.jpg

• Like 3

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I’ll report back next week. I pre-ordered a Shapland Sunday bag back in May and it shipped this morning. My intent is to play with it strapped to my push cart and prop it with trestle sticks at the range. I’ll be moving on from a Sun Mountain Series One, which has been an excellent stand bag for walking and pushing.88C3FFA0-96C7-4D0C-BD49-804E7BE46077.jpeg.3947cc510d16afa502ed772ef6439bc4.jpeg

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

21 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

I’ll report back next week. I pre-ordered a Shapland Sunday bag back in May and it shipped this morning. My intent is to play with it strapped to my push cart and prop it with trestle sticks at the range. I’ll be moving on from a Sun Mountain Series One, which has been an excellent stand bag for walking and pushing.88C3FFA0-96C7-4D0C-BD49-804E7BE46077.jpeg.3947cc510d16afa502ed772ef6439bc4.jpeg

I am in NYC and my new Shapland Sunday bag should be here this evening.  Planning to hit Bethpage Black on Wednesday!

On 7/21/2021 at 5:19 AM, Tupperwolf said:

I carry a Jones Players sunday bag all the time right now.  When I started playing golf I idolized the club champ at my old club.  He was the only guy who carried a sunday bag 100% of the time and maybe I thought some of his skill would rub off on me if I got one too.  I have used stand bags and push carts, but I really like the sunday bag for size, light weight and simplicity.  I've used a Ping moonlite and went through several generations of Titleist sunday bags, eventually wearing each of them out until I found the Jones brand.

PXL_20210709_012239974.jpg

Nice!! I think the Jones Players is the best one they have available right now.  Such a cool bag.  I have a Moonlite coming my way and a the Vessel above so we will see how it goes.  I intend on carrying the Moonlite much more than I have been any other bag as of late.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I carry 8 clubs in my Hoofer Lite when I walk.  Same feel as a Sunday bag since it is so dang light, but all the convenience of a stand bag.  Beats bending over all round and trestle sticks make no sense to me.  When I ride I can then put in a full set of clubs and there are plenty of empty  pockets to hold things I wouldn't normally carry.  One bag that does it all for me.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 7/22/2021 at 5:27 PM, Peter H. said:

Just got the Shapland Sunday bag and trestle sticks. Sexy as Hell!

Shapland.jpg

Just got mine today and it is very impressive. The amount of storage is insane for such a small lightweight bag. It sits great on my push cart so no concerns there (did have to cinch down the bottom strap due to small footprint, no big deal). I did a quick club tangle test with all 14 loaded and it is only minor - a quick push/pull/twist gets them in/out quite easily despite the small overall area. Love the straps and weight distribution too - I might carry when just playing nine or the weather is mild.

4B2EE95E-9099-47E6-A417-222013BB4645.jpeg.99d6f249c5e2fd6fac290dc5dc339c51.jpeg
EDEA3F3F-8791-42DC-9223-958547862346.jpeg.c21ca7db25d8cddbe424f0a707aea00a.jpeg

• Like 1

P| Ping Anser

On 6/30/2021 at 2:23 PM, cals said:

I have the new 2020 Ping Moonlite and love it. I was wondering if anyone uses it or any other sunday bags full time. I want to travel with it since its small profile keeps it easy to travel with but don’t want it to be swapped out by caddies constantly. I rarely ever see other sunday bags in the wild so was just curious what everyone else does.

Sunday bags are designed for carrying no more than 8 or 9  clubs.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I use my Mackenzie and carry 14 clubs with midsize grips without any issue at all. I also think I actually get less bag chatter with one divider than with my previous stand bags. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

Sunday bags are designed for carrying no more than 8 or 9  clubs.

Several companies (Shapland, Mackenzie, Jones, Vessel are some) are branding lightweight smaller bags as Sunday bags even though they can handle 14 clubs. Heck, the Vessel one even has stand legs. Call it what you want but a good product is a good product.

• Like 1

P| Ping Anser

Had my Sunday Vessel out yesterday.  I decided to ride after a long week so this wasn't used to its full potential, but I enjoyed it overall.  I carry 13 in the 2 way divider and for the most part there was minimal tangle, but it does feel a little tight at times.  I love the looks and design of this bag but with a Moonlite on the way, I am not sure the Vessel will stay.  I may opt for a little bit larger Vessel honestly, they are beautiful bags and designed well.  I love the idea of a smaller carry bag but have not found one yet that just wows me.  

The Moonlite looks like what I am looking for minus the legs but I'm assuming this means the tangle will be minimal.  Looking forward to getting it in hand and out on the course next week.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

14 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

Several companies (Shapland, Mackenzie, Jones, Vessel are some) are branding lightweight smaller bags as Sunday bags even though they can handle 14 clubs. Heck, the Vessel one even has stand legs. Call it what you want but a good product is a good product.

My Jones bag carries 14 clubs easily. IMO what makes a Sunday bag is one strap and no stand legs.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Had a Jones Players series bag that I gamed for a while and really enjoyed the lightweight and simplicity of a Sunday bag. I liked it so much that I took the dive and ordered a custom Mackenzie 7" one pocket bag! I only carry 12 clubs with standard sized grips and they were never an issue in the Jones so I am expecting more of the same with my new daily driver.... once the 8 week lead time is up....

• Like 1

I just found this old school Ping sunday bag at a yard sale for $10, took it out for 9 on a whim. What the hell. How have I not been doing this before now. It was so damn light and easy. Beats my hoofer or push cart by a mile.

I have friends who swear by the pushcart but I think I found my preference. Gonna replace it with a new Moonlite now that I have proof of concept. haha.

IMG_3085.jpeg.7daf345ae7c01fcdc2abd0d1e0103928.jpegIMG_3074.jpeg.7880a69f7f8cbeb89928dc3c54933585.jpeg

• Like 1