Srixon ZX4 irons

monks66

I have tried them extensively on an indoor trackman, but have not pulled the trigger yet.  I currently have the Ping G710 and had the G700's prior.  I found the Srixon to be very nice and if I was in the market would be on my short list.  I have also tried the Cobra Forged Tec and both TM's and didn't care for either of them.  Don't know if this helps or not, just a quick opinion 🙂

Ping G410 w/ Tensei orange
Cobra G410 3W  
Ping G400 7W

Titleist 818 5H
Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

I tried the ZX5's and immediately thought they were the cat's meow.  I wanted a forged iron that was forgiving, but more workable than the Wilson C200's that I am playing, which are considered GI irons.  Couldn't afford the ZX5's so I found an essentially new set of Z565's for half the price and they are IMO just as good.

Love Z565's but only play them on decent courses and not the goat track for my league.  I find that I am more consistent with the Srixon's than the C200's which I have played for 4+ years and over 100 rounds with.

If you are looking at the ZX4's, I would also look at the ZX5's.  Whatever you choose, you'll love them.

2 hours ago, combokid said:

I love them. Have 5-PW with Project X LZ 6.0. REALLY forgiving. Good ball flight, doesn't balloon. A bit clicky, but in a really nice way. Couldn't say enough good things about them. 10 handicap when I got them in March, 5-handicap now.

5 strokes in three months? All down to the irons? I gotta get me some!!!

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

15 hours ago, cfmgolf said:

I have tried them extensively on an indoor trackman, but have not pulled the trigger yet.  I currently have the Ping G710 and had the G700's prior.  I found the Srixon to be very nice and if I was in the market would be on my short list.  I have also tried the Cobra Forged Tec and both TM's and didn't care for either of them.  Don't know if this helps or not, just a quick opinion 🙂

it does, says you liked the ZX4's 🙂

I bought a zx4 in the 4 iron on a whim.  I do not hit the ball super high in general, and I wanted something that went a little higher, but that I could also hit a stinger off of a tee box with.   The ZX4 fits the bill very nicely.

I have a ZX5 in the 5 iron, and the ZX4 is definitely more forgiving.  However the Zx5 is amazing as well.  All in all I have never had more confidence in a 5 and 4 iron than I have currently.

Also tons of people have said that the ZX4 is super low spin.  I have hit it into a few par 5 greens, not saying I have hit every green but the ones I did I did not see any excessive rollout, it rolls out farther than say an eight iron does, but I am not hitting the front of the green and the ball is rolling off the back.  The one and only chance I have hit it on a radar system I was seeing around 4300 RPM, I believe the decent angle was 45, which considering it has 21* of loft it was not some super low spin monster.   My last club of 21* of loft I had around 4700 RPM and my decent angle was 42*.   Same machine brand, same balls, different mats, one outdoors and one indoors.   The differences in the numbers seem about what I would expect based on on course results.

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade SIM2 Titanium - testing shafts
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Cobra King Tec 17* 
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-9) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Clevelland 46* Zipcore, Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Cleveland 54* mid Zipcore, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  LAB MEZZ.1  sometimes Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 on UST Frequency Filtered with SS Counter Core
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV auditioning Snell and Vice Pro Plus this offseason.

9 hours ago, pjc said:

What shafts are you playing in the 565 irons?

The Z565's came with KBS C-Taper Tour 120 Stiff shafts at +1.0 inch.  My C200's have KBS Tour-V 110 Stiff shafts at 1.0 inch.  I maybe notice a slightly lower launch with the C-Tapers, but haven't played them enough or have monitor data to support.  The lofts on both sets is exactly the same.

6 hours ago, combokid said:

I must have missed the part where I said it was extensively down to the irons...

Congratulations on dropping your handicap. Especially impressive to go from 10 to 5. Much tougher than going from say 15 to 10. I was only kidding but you must be enjoying the clubs getting that kind of improvement. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Ordered a 4-PW set back in April. Still not here but Srixon saying they should be here late July. Out of all the clubs I hit during my fitting, these felt the best and they look sharp at address for a GI iron. Should also say I'm coming from TM Burner 2.0's that are 10+ years old. Will update when I can actually play with them. I'm hoping to knock 5 strokes off like @combokid!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 6:22 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

I bought a zx4 in the 4 iron on a whim.  I do not hit the ball super high in general, and I wanted something that went a little higher, but that I could also hit a stinger off of a tee box with.   The ZX4 fits the bill very nicely.

I have a ZX5 in the 5 iron, and the ZX4 is definitely more forgiving.  However the Zx5 is amazing as well.  All in all I have never had more confidence in a 5 and 4 iron than I have currently.

Also tons of people have said that the ZX4 is super low spin.  I have hit it into a few par 5 greens, not saying I have hit every green but the ones I did I did not see any excessive rollout, it rolls out farther than say an eight iron does, but I am not hitting the front of the green and the ball is rolling off the back.  The one and only chance I have hit it on a radar system I was seeing around 4300 RPM, I believe the decent angle was 45, which considering it has 21* of loft it was not some super low spin monster.   My last club of 21* of loft I had around 4700 RPM and my decent angle was 42*.   Same machine brand, same balls, different mats, one outdoors and one indoors.   The differences in the numbers seem about what I would expect based on on course results.

How are the distances between the two clubs? The line of demarcation in my bag is the 5-iron.  I feel confident hitting a 6-iron from any lie/slope/condition. But there is a drop off to my 5-iron. I love my 4-hybrid. So I really need something between those from a yardage perspective that I trust just as much. I'm considedring a ZX4 5-iron, but am concerned the loft is closer to my hybrid and it will hit a distance closer to that...rather than something that splits the difference.

PING G410 10.5*
Cleveland 18* Hy-Wood
PING G410 22* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 60*

Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Titleist Tour Speed

On 7/2/2021 at 4:19 AM, combokid said:

I love them. Have 5-PW with Project X LZ 6.0. REALLY forgiving. Good ball flight, doesn't balloon. A bit clicky, but in a really nice way. Couldn't say enough good things about them. 10 handicap when I got them in March, 5-handicap now.

I Agree i have them in 6.0 non LZ it's  GREAT combo most sets i see all have the modus 105 it's not a bad combo but the 6.0 takes it from good to great in my opinion 

• Like 1

I’m currently playing zx4 with CTaper 130.  On paper it makes no sense but they simply work for me.  I’ve played multiple sets over the last 2 years. 585, mp20 hmb, 0311p, 0211, Miura 2008, 501 and the zx4 work.  They may not be as sexy as a miura and feel is relative but they perform.  Don’t discount them.  They probably aren’t for everyone but they have been good for me.  

Edited by NDGolfer13
  • Like 1

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

I got the ZX4 1 month ago. 4-PW. Modus 105 shaft

Superb irons.

Remember the jacked lofts. When you pull the 8-iron out of the bag you are actually hitting a 6,8-iron

I still have my old iron-numbers and distances in the memory so if its a 7-iron I take the 8-iron and go smoothly

Butterfeel and consistent distances.

Extremely good to chip with.

Edited by Whasp3

Well, they finally came in and they are beautiful. Went with 4-PW attached to TT Project X 6.0 shafts and Golf Pride MCC +4 midsize grips. I've only played one round with them but the ball flight is a huge improvement over my old clubs and the ball coming off the face feels amazing. Obviously the lofts are jacked so I'm more or less clubbing down from the distances I'm used to with my old set. Definitely a chunky iron at address when you get past a 7 iron but I'm a 19 handicap so seeing the bulge in my low irons gives me some confidence. First time with the 5-iron on a 192 par 3, I stuck it 6 feet from the pin with very little release. Missed the birdie putt (I'll blame the aerated greens) but sunk the comeback for par. I've heard the decent angle can sometimes be too low with these irons but I had no issue sticking greens. If you're looking for solid GI set of irons with a forged like feel, look no further. I would recommend these beauts to anyone.

Now I need to get the bottom of the bag figured out because the PW is going about 140. C'mon new Cleveland CBX zipcores.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 2:22 PM, driveandputtmachine said:

Do you have same shaft in both ZX4 and ZX5? What shaft(s) do you have? And what kind of distance gap you have between ZX4 four iron and ZX5 five iron?

I have combo set ZX5 (5-6) and ZX7 (7-PW). Love that set and thinking about extending it with four iron. I think that on paper (21 deg) ZX4 four iron would possibly blend better with (24 deg) ZX5  five iron, than (22 deg) ZX5 four iron. I would prefer something like 15 meter distance gap between i4 and i5.

The zx4 irons are criminally underrated due to the popularity of the zx7s.

the 4 are a good looking and performance packed iron that are very very good.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I had a set of the Zx4 on order back in May, but due to the long wait I dropped the order and man am I glad I did. I finally had the chance to hit these over the weekend at a Golf Galaxy and they were loud and super clicky. I currently play a set of Srixon Z565 irons and they are just so pure and soft feeling compared to the Zx4’s. I was able to hit the Zx4’s against a Pxg Gen3 P iron, My 565, Mizuno 921 HM and Ping 710. For me in order of feel and forgiveness it was…Pxg, Hm, 710, Z565, Zx4.  Now don’t get me wrong the Zx4 look really good, but the feel/sound just didn’t compare vs the 5 series and those are just as forgiving for me. 

Driver PXG Gen4 0811x (10.5) - Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0)
FairwayTaylormade Sim2 Max 3HL (16.5) - Aldila Rogue White 70 (stiff)

Driving Iron: Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI (2-18') - Steelfiber 110s

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) - Aldila Tour Blue 85 (stiff)
Irons:  PXG Gen3 0311P (5-G) - True Temper Elevate Tour (x-stiff)
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Raw (54/12) / Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9 stand bag

On 8/16/2021 at 5:00 AM, LosLaba said:

Do you have same shaft in both ZX4 and ZX5? What shaft(s) do you have? And what kind of distance gap you have between ZX4 four iron and ZX5 five iron?

I have combo set ZX5 (5-6) and ZX7 (7-PW). Love that set and thinking about extending it with four iron. I think that on paper (21 deg) ZX4 four iron would possibly blend better with (24 deg) ZX5  five iron, than (22 deg) ZX5 four iron. I would prefer something like 15 meter distance gap between i4 and i5.

I bend every set of irons for gapping pretty much.  I play all of my irons with Recoil 110 shafts.

I normally play 4* gaps, with some exceptions.  IN this case the 4 iron is set at 21, and the 5 iron is at 25 in my bag.  I play 3/8" increments from the 7 iron up to the 4, so this may not help you very much either since my irons are likely shorter than yours

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Wedges - Clevelland 46* Zipcore, Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Cleveland 54* mid Zipcore, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  LAB MEZZ.1  sometimes Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 on UST Frequency Filtered with SS Counter Core

1 hour ago, eddiebigeddie said:

I had a set of the Zx4 on order back in May, but due to the long wait I dropped the order and man am I glad I did. I finally had the chance to hit these over the weekend at a Golf Galaxy and they were loud and super clicky. I currently play a set of Srixon Z565 irons and they are just so pure and soft feeling compared to the Zx4’s. I was able to hit the Zx4’s against a Pxg Gen3 P iron, My 565, Mizuno 921 HM and Ping 710. For me in order of feel and forgiveness it was…Pxg, Hm, 710, Z565, Zx4.  Now don’t get me wrong the Zx4 look really good, but the feel/sound just didn’t compare vs the 5 series and those are just as forgiving for me. 

Are they clicky to some folks?  Yep.

However clubs sound better to me when I look up almost every time and the ball is doing exactly what I wanted it to(more or less).  I played Mizuno irons in college and for a few years after, but never have I let sound or feel turn me away from a club that flat out performs.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Are they clicky to some folks?  Yep.

However clubs sound better to me when I look up almost every time and the ball is doing exactly what I wanted it to(more or less).  I played Mizuno irons in college and for a few years after, but never have I let sound or feel turn me away from a club that flat out performs.

True, but for me despite the clickyness they didn’t perform better then my 565’s. Or the other irons I tried for that matter. So for ME, based on all the factors (sound/feel, dispersion, distance, ball flight) they didn’t perform…but I’m sure they will for others. 

Driver PXG Gen4 0811x (10.5) - Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0)
FairwayTaylormade Sim2 Max 3HL (16.5) - Aldila Rogue White 70 (stiff)

Driving Iron: Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI (2-18') - Steelfiber 110s

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) - Aldila Tour Blue 85 (stiff)
Irons:  PXG Gen3 0311P (5-G) - True Temper Elevate Tour (x-stiff)
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Raw (54/12) / Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9 stand bag

I play ZX5s but also picked up ZX4 4-5i. In my hands, the ZX4s are too low spin. For example the 4i spins in 3 wood territory for me. Also, the trajectory is lower than my ZX5 4i. Both clubs have been bent weak and play the same loft, but the low spin makes the ZX4 difficult to play. One other note, I play in AZ in perfect conditions and would be very concerned playing the ZX4 with any amount of water or debris on the face.