2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Srixon Z585s to Apex 21s -- V sole issue?

Elee913

Late last season I made an impulse switch from some Callaway Big Bertha 19s to the Z585s.  I had actually been hitting the Big Berthas well, but my handicap dropped from the high teens to low double digits, and I wanted a lower profile iron.  I was hitting the Z585s in a store and they had a barely used set they were offering a great deal on, so I pounced without really testing out other clubs.  I know, I know.  I should have tested more, but I got such a good deal that I don't think I'll lose much on the resale.

But now I'm regretting the decision because I just haven't hit the Z585s well on the course.  I have a huge tendency to hit the Z585s thin, something I have not experienced in the past with my irons (in fact, irons have always been my strong suit).  I have a shallow swing (rarely take a divot), and I've been reading about how the V-soles might lead to thin strikes.  Has anyone else experienced this issue with their Srixons?  I would say I hit my irons thin almost 1/3-1/2 of the time, which is way too much.  

I did try the Apex 21s in a store the other day, and I found that I was really striping these clubs very consistently, and longer than my Z585s.  I know the lofts are slightly lower (30.5 vs. 31), but the consistency of the strike for the Apex 21s were so much better, with very few thin strikes (albeit on a mat, not yet on grass).  And I loved the feel relative to my Z585s (although it might be in large part due to the cleaner strikes).

Does this make sense with respect to the V-soles leading to more thin strikes?  I know there is a huge debate in the forum on the relative love for Srixons Z series irons vs. the Apex.  But at this point, I'm almost ready to go back to my Ping G15s with the thin strikes on my Z585s.

I think people are too quick to think the V Sole makes a big difference in contact. It definitely looks different, but in play the difference should be subtle even on the 5 series. If you just forget they're there and hit your shot you probably won't notice much of a difference from just the sole. Maybe it gets in your head a little bit. 

Have you checked the length of your shafts to make sure they're standard or the right length for you? 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

43 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I think people are too quick to think the V Sole makes a big difference in contact. It definitely looks different, but in play the difference should be subtle even on the 5 series. If you just forget they're there and hit your shot you probably won't notice much of a difference from just the sole. Maybe it gets in your head a little bit. 

Have you checked the length of your shafts to make sure they're standard or the right length for you? 

I for one will respectfully disagree about the V Sole contact.  Played 785's for a couple of years  and when the new model Srixon's came out I tried the 5's.  Contact was not good and most of the time were thinned shots.  I have since gone to the 7's, and the thinned shots are gone, much crisper contact.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

What Color dot on the G15? Trusty G5 red dot were a favourite,so the Cally BB replaced the G15?Srixons are not a G15 replacement,eg Ap2,T200,hope this helps.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

41 minutes ago, dalillama47 said:

I for one will respectfully disagree about the V Sole contact.  Played 785's for a couple of years  and when the new model Srixon's came out I tried the 5's.  Contact was not good and most of the time were thinned shots.  I have since gone to the 7's, and the thinned shots are gone, much crisper contact.

Good to know. I have played Z765s, Z785's and have a few Z585 long irons. The soles have never been an issue for me, but I've never had the 5-series in anything shorter than a 6 iron. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

The V soles can have a huge impact on your quality of contact and this has been brought up in threads over the years. You either love them or hate them and I highly recommend anyone buying Srixon irons demo them on grass first. I am a digger and can take a healthy size divot with my short irons and wedges. Can even take a tiny one with my 3 wood If I'm really trying to trap it.  I had a set of 785s earlier this year and never got along with them. You would think the profile would fit me to a tee but the turf interaction was very poor. The contact was more often then not a hair thin and slightly below the sweet spot. I did a range test and alternated between a set of bridgestones, the 785s and a demo PTX Pro. I had no problem middling the other two clubs but the 785 was always just below center. The 785s performed better off mats than actual grass in my case. I sold the 785s for a slight loss and am looking and getting a set of Hogans. The Hogans also have a V sole but the v is closer to the leading edge while the Srixon is more in the middle and I believe this makes a huge difference. The Hogans I felt like I could pound down on the ball and the club would move through the turf like a plow. Probably the best clubs I've ever tried for turf interaction.

Callaway Irons are usually on the higher bounce side of the spectrum and I'm also a fan their turf interaction as well fwiw.

I have played the 45, 65, and 85's and now a split set of 4,5,7's.   I take a deep divot, my last club was a Srixon club(The Srixon PGA Tour Rep was a member) and I played with piles of people from super shallow to super steep from barely grass moving to huge divots.  No one had trouble with irons fitted for them.

The Vsole makes the club LESS prone to digging, it doesn't stop it, nor does it make you hit the ball thin.  If the fact that 40% of that club played V Sole irons from the 45 to the 85 series doesn't sway you I don't know what to say.

I could be that the head weight and shaft weight and length or numerous other things are different enough from clubs you had been swinging for years that they are a bad fit.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

1 hour ago, naj959 said:

The V soles can have a huge impact on your quality of contact and this has been brought up in threads over the years. You either love them or hate them and I highly recommend anyone buying Srixon irons demo them on grass first. I am a digger and can take a healthy size divot with my short irons and wedges. Can even take a tiny one with my 3 wood If I'm really trying to trap it.  I had a set of 785s earlier this year and never got along with them. You would think the profile would fit me to a tee but the turf interaction was very poor. The contact was more often then not a hair thin and slightly below the sweet spot. I did a range test and alternated between a set of bridgestones, the 785s and a demo PTX Pro. I had no problem middling the other two clubs but the 785 was always just below center. The 785s performed better off mats than actual grass in my case. I sold the 785s for a slight loss and am looking and getting a set of Hogans. The Hogans also have a V sole but the v is closer to the leading edge while the Srixon is more in the middle and I believe this makes a huge difference. The Hogans I felt like I could pound down on the ball and the club would move through the turf like a plow. Probably the best clubs I've ever tried for turf interaction.

Callaway Irons are usually on the higher bounce side of the spectrum and I'm also a fan their turf interaction as well fwiw.

I still play the PTx Pro irons that I won here on Golfwrx. I’m getting to the point where they will need to be replaced. I’m leaning towards the zX5/ZX7 combo set or another set of PTx Pros. I was fortunate enough to hit the Srixons on grass with my preferred shaft, so that helped a lot. Both are really good thru the turf, and I’ll be happy with either set new. 

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

For a functional swing, I can't picture how the sole shape itself could cause a thin strike.

You would almost have to bounce the iron off of the ground fairly severely, several inches prior to ball contact for the sole shape to be an issue.  

Every slow motion contact video I have ever seen, the iron catches the ball on the way down.  The sole seems to interact with turf, well post contact.

Now, if you are hitting most second shots from the cart path, disregard everything I typed.

Edited by morgan1819
  • Haha 1

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

6 hours ago, Elee913 said:

But now I'm regretting the decision because I just haven't hit the Z585s well on the course.

Get yourself a tune-up fitting on the Z585 irons. Make sure that lie angle, shaft length or grip thickness are not throwing your swing off. Launch data may give you some clues.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

7 hours ago, Elee913 said:

Late last season I made an impulse switch from some Callaway Big Bertha 19s to the Z585s.  I had actually been hitting the Big Berthas well, but my handicap dropped from the high teens to low double digits, and I wanted a lower profile iron.  I was hitting the Z585s in a store and they had a barely used set they were offering a great deal on, so I pounced without really testing out other clubs.  I know, I know.  I should have tested more, but I got such a good deal that I don't think I'll lose much on the resale.

But now I'm regretting the decision because I just haven't hit the Z585s well on the course.  I have a huge tendency to hit the Z585s thin, something I have not experienced in the past with my irons (in fact, irons have always been my strong suit).  I have a shallow swing (rarely take a divot), and I've been reading about how the V-soles might lead to thin strikes.  Has anyone else experienced this issue with their Srixons?  I would say I hit my irons thin almost 1/3-1/2 of the time, which is way too much.  

I did try the Apex 21s in a store the other day, and I found that I was really striping these clubs very consistently, and longer than my Z585s.  I know the lofts are slightly lower (30.5 vs. 31), but the consistency of the strike for the Apex 21s were so much better, with very few thin strikes (albeit on a mat, not yet on grass).  And I loved the feel relative to my Z585s (although it might be in large part due to the cleaner strikes).

Does this make sense with respect to the V-soles leading to more thin strikes?  I know there is a huge debate in the forum on the relative love for Srixons Z series irons vs. the Apex.  But at this point, I'm almost ready to go back to my Ping G15s with the thin strikes on my Z585s.

Are the clubs the same length? The v soles main job is to get out the turf quicker. The leading edge actually has less or pretty close to the same amount of bounce as others. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I had a red dot, although over time my swing has gotten steeper such that every time I get fitted I’m fitted into standard loft irons (although I usually only test 7 iron vs. the whole bag).  Yep, the 585s replaced the BB, but it’s because I wanted a smaller profile and my handicap had dropped from low 20s to 12-14.  Maybe it was too large a jump.  

I actually pulled out my old G15s this week to try them, and wow, are they large.  I don’t think I can go back to that size head ever again.  

Tried the Apex DCBs yesterday, and hit them really well.  I know some compare them to the 19 Berthas, but they feel a whole lot better to me and look smaller.  I don’t know if the Vsole is making a difference, but even when testing them against the DCBs, I just wasn’t getting good strikes on the 585s.

What Color dot on the G15? Trusty G5 red dot were a favourite,so the Cally BB replaced the G15?Srixons are not a G15 replacement,eg Ap2,T200,hope this helps.

• 2 months later...