2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PXG Gen2 Irons, T, P, XF @$89/Club

MojoEd

Had a set in my cart until I started the checkout process....$60 for shipping then they charge sales tax on the shipping too? Quickly went from $712 to almost $900 for me. That killed it. Seems like they make a ton of money nickeling you to death. Usually you don't see that with a "premium" brand.

Edited by cardia10

I just don't understand how shipping is nickel-and-diming.  

It's a good deal @ 89/club. If you're looking for reasons not to buy something, you've settled upon a relatively petty one, though I've come up with some doozies myself when rationalizing/talking myself out of a splurge.

edit - tax on shipping seems off. A phone call order could probably remedy that.

Edited by OKMrazor
  • Like 3

I sort of understand what he is saying- with PXG it’s not just shipping, everything is an add-on. Different shafts, different grips, shipping, and then tax on all that. Takes the advertised price way up to get what you really truly want. Which Cardia must have done to get $89 per club up to a $712 pre-tax/ship order. So I imagine by the time he got to shipping and tax he was like wtf, this isn’t really a good deal after all.

Most places you spend $1,000 they give you free shipping. Heck, many places at $100 they give you free shipping. I imagine with the nice PXG boxes that’s considered an “oversized” item and thus costs a lot to ship. 

5 hours ago, dcfball88 said:

I sort of understand what he is saying- with PXG it’s not just shipping, everything is an add-on. Different shafts, different grips, shipping, and then tax on all that. Takes the advertised price way up to get what you really truly want. Which Cardia must have done to get $89 per club up to a $712 pre-tax/ship order. So I imagine by the time he got to shipping and tax he was like wtf, this isn’t really a good deal after all.

Most places you spend $1,000 they give you free shipping. Heck, many places at $100 they give you free shipping. I imagine with the nice PXG boxes that’s considered an “oversized” item and thus costs a lot to ship. 

I have never paid $60 to ship a set of irons and there is 100% no way they dont have negotiated rates with shipping companies. Just leaves a bad taste when they try to milk every dime from a premium product. $39 per shaft for S300s? It is like a bad joke trying to build a decent set of irons. 

On 7/2/2021 at 7:50 PM, cardia10 said:

I have never paid $60 to ship a set of irons and there is 100% no way they dont have negotiated rates with shipping companies. Just leaves a bad taste when they try to milk every dime from a premium product. $39 per shaft for S300s? It is like a bad joke trying to build a decent set of irons. 

I'm pretty sure they charge that shipping fee to everyone on all of their items. It's just what they do. You're getting an iron that retailed for over $300 when it was released for a very discounted price. They're also giving you a few of their stock options at no upcharge (elevate tour s300 is an option), if those don't work, reshaft yourself.

Even with a $39/club upcharge on an $89/club price, that puts you at $896 pre-tax for a set of brand new irons. Walk into GG or any big box golf store and you're going to have to spend $1199 and up for a comparable set. Given all of that, I don't see where it's a "bad deal" or nickel and diming, but that's me. You could always try the elevate tours and see if they work, then reshaft on your own later if you need to.

Edited by pollock21
  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

1 hour ago, pollock21 said:

I'm pretty sure they charge that shipping fee to everyone on all of their items. It's just what they do. You're getting an iron that retailed for over $300 when it was released for a very discounted price. They're also giving you a few of their stock options at no upcharge (elevate tour s300 is an option), if those don't work, reshaft yourself.

You have to be realistic, these are closeout items. If you want more no upcharge shaft options, you need to order the Gen 4 stuff. That's the incentive. You're basically walking into the golf store and checking out the closeout rack, to get the deals you have to take what's on the rack. If they only have the size medium of that shirt on sale and you need a large, you have to pay up for the large.

Even with a $39/club upcharge on an $89/club price, that puts you at $896 pre-tax for a set of brand new irons. Walk into GG or any big box golf store and you're going to have to spend $1199 and up for a comparable set. Given all of that, I don't see where it's a "bad deal" or nickel and diming, but that's me. You could always try the elevate tours and see if they work, then reshaft on your own later if you need to.

I just gets me that I work with manufacturing companies every day that contract overseas. They are still making money(almost double) at $89 per club. Would make me sick if I paid full retail for a set of "premium" clubs then getting milked for every possible upgrade. They are a premium brand who act dollar store. I had a set in my cart and the shipping totally killed it for me. I ship sets of clubs all the time and for them to upcharge $40 per set over actual retail shipping cost (which I bet they don't even pay that much) just makes me look at them very differently. 

2 hours ago, pollock21 said:

You have to be realistic, these are closeout items. If you want more no upcharge shaft options, you need to order the Gen 4 stuff. That's the incentive. You're basically walking into the golf store and checking out the closeout rack, to get the deals you have to take what's on the rack. If they only have the size medium of that shirt on sale and you need a large, you have to pay up for the large.

You sure about that?  Perhaps there's more options if you call and speak to a rep but in looking at the website right now......I see the exact same shaft options (very little) and upcharges for Gen4 as I do for Gen2. 

I pulled the trigger on a set of Gen2's just to see how it goes.....why not at that price.  The shaft options were certainly lacking but I just went ahead and ordered the MMT 80's as an experiment....if they don't work out no big deal, I have another set of shafts that can go in them.  For the record though I definitely ordered through Discount Dan's and not PXG.  Free shipping tends to win out over $60 shipping.  I know people seem to have different opinions on PXG's shipping practice but personally I just don't see how it's justified.  We all know it doesn't cost $60 to ship a set of irons (especially when you're a high volume customer of whatever carrier they use) and beyond that, all I've ever read/heard was that you pay for the "premium" packaging.  Does that entail anything beyond the black box?  I've received a couple shipments from Sub70 which comes in their nice black box with the company logos on it, but didn't pay a premium price (I think it was free actually).

Edited by PittShark

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8*, Tour AD-VR 6s
Titleist TSi2 16.5*, Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist TSi2 18*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb
Callaway ‘24 Apex Pro 5-AW, MMT 95s
Callaway MD5 Jaws 50s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway MD5 Jaws 54s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway Jaws Full Toe 58c, KBS TourV 110
Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500) | 2020 Special Select Newport 2 (SteelFiber P125 shaft)

4 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I just gets me that I work with manufacturing companies every day that contract overseas. They are still making money(almost double) at $89 per club. Would make me sick if I paid full retail for a set of "premium" clubs then getting milked for every possible upgrade. They are a premium brand who act dollar store. I had a set in my cart and the shipping totally killed it for me. I ship sets of clubs all the time and for them to upcharge $40 per set over actual retail shipping cost (which I bet they don't even pay that much) just makes me look at them very differently. 

I think you're missing the point, even with shaft upcharge and shipping, you're still paying less than a comparable set in store. Not all brands offer the same shafts as standard vs upcharge. PXG has different no upcharge shafts than Titleist, Titleist offers different than Mizuno, etc. This is nothing new. If you can find another brand that offers your shafts as no-upcharge, that is likely better for you. That set might cost you $1200 vs the $1000ish that the PXG's would cost you shipped to your door, but that's the entire point i'm making. Forget about what each line item costs you.

It's total cost for set A vs total cost for set B. As others have said, order them through Discount Dan's and save on the shipping if that's a deal breaker for you. But shaft upcharge is standard practice in the industry.

3 hours ago, PittShark said:

You sure about that?  Perhaps there's more options if you call and speak to a rep but in looking at the website right now......I see the exact same shaft options (very little) and upcharges for Gen4 as I do for Gen2. 

I pulled the trigger on a set of Gen2's just to see how it goes.....why not at that price.  The shaft options were certainly lacking but I just went ahead and ordered the MMT 80's as an experiment....if they don't work out no big deal, I have another set of shafts that can go in them.  For the record though I definitely ordered through Discount Dan's and not PXG.  Free shipping tends to win out over $60 shipping.  I know people seem to have different opinions on PXG's shipping practice but personally I just don't see how it's justified.  We all know it doesn't cost $60 to ship a set of irons (especially when you're a high volume customer of whatever carrier they use) and beyond that, all I've ever read/heard was that you pay for the "premium" packaging.  Does that entail anything beyond the black box?  I've received a couple shipments from Sub70 which comes in their nice black box with the company logos on it, but didn't pay a premium price (I think it was free actually).

You are correct, I just looked myself. PXG used to do all shafts as now upcharge with Gen 1 and I think into Gen 2. Looks like they changed it for all models now. As for the flat shipping cost, I agree, $60 is high. But that's what they charge everyone for everything. They are offering pretty solid deals on these older models and even with the shipping, it's cheaper than comparable sets.

5 minutes ago, pollock21 said:

I think you're missing the point, even with shaft upcharge and shipping, you're still paying less than a comparable set in store. Not all brands offer the same shafts as standard vs upcharge. PXG has different no upcharge shafts than Titleist, Titleist offers different than Mizuno, etc. This is nothing new. If you can find another brand that offers your shafts as no-upcharge, that is likely better for you. That set might cost you $1200 vs the $1000ish that the PXG's would cost you shipped to your door, but that's the entire point i'm making. Forget about what each line item costs you.

It's total cost for set A vs total cost for set B. As others have said, order them through Discount Dan's and save on the shipping if that's a deal breaker for you. But shaft upcharge is standard practice in the industry.

I've never paid an "upcharge" for DG S300 or Project X iron shafts from any manufacturing company ever. Those are the industry standard. If you compare total cost, you are now, at a 60-70% discount almost exactly what competitors are at for full retail. Some are slightly higher, but again, as an overall cost, you aren't paying exorbitant shipping and shaft and grip upgrade charges for something that comes standard on every other brand. PXG billed itself as premium and is a sucker brand for people who will overpay for a "perceived" premium product when in reality, it has less invested in R&D that any other name brand on the market. It is essentially a quirky fad and I'd bet lots that in 10 years, they won't operate or survive under the same model they use now.

6 minutes ago, pollock21 said:

You are correct, I just looked myself. PXG used to do all shafts as now upcharge with Gen 1 and I think into Gen 2. Looks like they changed it for all models now. As for the flat shipping cost, I agree, $60 is high. But that's what they charge everyone for everything. They are offering pretty solid deals on these older models and even with the shipping, it's cheaper than comparable sets.

Totally agree on the deal you're getting on these.  I still would have bought a set even if I had no choice on the shipping, however it is nice that we all know of an avenue that lets you get around that.

Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500) | 2020 Special Select Newport 2 (SteelFiber P125 shaft)

14 minutes ago, OKMrazor said:

100% you paid for it one way or the other.  Its either a hidden cost or an upfront one.  

Have you ever looked into Sub70?  At their prices, it's almost comical to think that they're "hiding" the shipping cost in the price of the products.

And for the record I definitely didn't pay it in any form when I received my full iron set from them - I was selected by WRX and Sub70 to test a set.

Edited by PittShark

8 minutes ago, PittShark said:

And for the record I definitely didn't pay it in any form when I received my full iron set from them - I was selected by WRX and Sub70 to test a set.

Then saying "I've received a couple shipments from Sub70...but didn't pay a premium price (I think it was free actually)" is a bit disingenuous, I think.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OKMrazor said:

Then saying "I've received a couple shipments from Sub70...but didn't pay a premium price (I think it was free actually)" is a bit disingenuous, I think.   

I'd like to ensure that you're able to sleep tonight, so here's my actual invoice from when I purchased my utility iron:

Sub70_invoice.jpg.8d7c79a8037bf31de888eecee8ae3206.jpg

If they "hid" those shipping costs into a utility iron that cost 119 bucks.....good luck to them in the future.

Back on topic:  I was quoted 3-4 weeks lead time, which isn't bad at all given the current landscape.  Fingers crossed that it's an accurate projection 🤞

31 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

I've never paid an "upcharge" for DG S300 or Project X iron shafts from any manufacturing company ever. Those are the industry standard. If you compare total cost, you are now, at a 60-70% discount almost exactly what competitors are at for full retail. Some are slightly higher, but again, as an overall cost, you aren't paying exorbitant shipping and shaft and grip upgrade charges for something that comes standard on every other brand. PXG billed itself as premium and is a sucker brand for people who will overpay for a "perceived" premium product when in reality, it has less invested in R&D that any other name brand on the market. It is essentially a quirky fad and I'd bet lots that in 10 years, they won't operate or survive under the same model they use now.

I think it's been a while since you've bought something new. Most brands now are charging for DG TI's as an upgrade. Even my new Srixon's were an upcharge for DGTI X100's. There was no upcharge for standard X100. PXG doesn't offer the standard S300 or X100, so they are in line with most other manufacturers with their upcharges.

Look, I think it's clear you don't like PXG, so you decided to come into a PXG thread and hammer on them. That's your choice. So let's look at total cost, you want an $89 pxg iron, $10 grip, and $39 shaft. You're at $138/club or $966 for 7 irons plus $60 shipping so $1026 for a set. That's still cheaper than the $1200+ a set for most irons now. So your argument on getting nickel and dimed still doesn't hold water.

But you also stated "PXG billed itself as premium and is a sucker brand for people who will overpay for a "perceived" premium product when in reality, it has less invested in R&D that any other name brand on the market." You could at least modify that to say people are paying less for PXG so your opinion is somewhat accurate. But I'll stop pointing out the obvious to you, you've made your mind up about PXG and it's not changing, and I'm fine with that. But calling them overpriced and a company that nickels and dimes people is hardly accurate, the math just doesn't back that up.

I like their product, and the deals they were offering on the current clubs is really solid, especially at the prices that expired on 6/30. Bottom line, if you don't like them, don't buy them. I did, and I can't wait to receive them. My buddy has Gen 1 P's and they are absolutely fantastic. That's the real world experience I can add to the thread, as well as the ability to do math.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PittShark said:

I'd like to ensure that you're able to sleep tonight, so here's my actual invoice from when I purchased my utility iron:

Sub70_invoice.jpg.8d7c79a8037bf31de888eecee8ae3206.jpg

If they "hid" those shipping costs into a utility iron that cost 119 bucks.....good luck to them in the future.

Back on topic:  I was quoted 3-4 weeks lead time, which isn't bad at all given the current landscape.  Fingers crossed that it's an accurate projection 🤞

@OKMrazor is still correct, the cost of shipping is built into the club. I can 100% guarantee you that Sub70 does not have any shipping carrier delivering their product for free. The cost is built into the club price.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pollock21 said:

@OKMrazor is still correct, the cost of shipping is built into the club. I can 100% guarantee you that Sub70 does not have any shipping carrier delivering their product for free. The cost is built into the club price.

Well the point is taken (from both of you) that technically someone pays for it.  And Sub70 is not a good example given their low DTC pricing and the fact that there's nowhere else to buy their stuff.  So I guess the alternative example would be a retailer who is selling the same product that you can buy elsewhere, but is offering free shipping.  In that case, is that one retailer building it into the price since they're not charging for shipping even though other outlets are charging the same price for the product AND charging the shipping fee?  No....they're simply eating the cost either as part of a promotion or as part of their standard practice as a means to attract more customers.  

Since words don't work, here are real life examples, or pictures.  Look on the right column down the Titleist iron shaft offerings. Far right is an upcharge cost, look how many NONE is there. I get 2 stock shaft offerings from PXG, both essentially cheaper shafts made for PXG that most companies don'e even bother offering. The last pic is a set of customized TM irons with PXG "upgraded" shafts and grips. Notice no charge from TM. Don't bill yourself as the best and most premium if you only offer the cheapest iron shafts in the most expensive heads in golf. Don't even think about putting $5 Lamkin Crosslines on a set of PXG, that will be $12 each...Until a few days ago, I had zero opinion of PXG other than they were expensive. Now, after almost buying a set, watching over 20 you tube reviews and understanding their business model, yeah, I guess it is fair to say I don't like PXG. I'm also like every one else here and will eventually have to have a set. My set will come off the BST here for half off the 60-70% of retail they are now charging. I'll support the original purchaser or a few guys down the line that have likely upgraded the shafts and grips themselves and are selling at a bargain.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

Edited by cardia10

19 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Since words don't work, here are real life examples, or pictures.  Look on the right column down the Titleist iron shaft offerings. Far right is an upcharge cost, look how many NONE is there. I get 2 stock shaft offerings from PXG, both essentially cheaper shafts made for PXG that most companies don'e even bother offering. The last pic is a set of customized TM irons with PXG "upgraded" shafts and grips. Notice no charge from TM. Don't bill yourself as the best and most premium if you only offer the cheapest iron shafts in the most expensive heads in golf. Don't even think about putting $5 Lamkin Crosslines on a set of PXG, that will be $12 each...Until a few days ago, I had zero opinion of PXG other than they were expensive. Now, after almost buying a set, watching over 20 you tube reviews and understanding their business model, yeah, I guess it is fair to say I don't like PXG. I'm also like every one else here and will eventually have to have a set. My set will come off the BST here for half off the 60-70% of retail they are now charging. I'll support the original purchaser or a few guys down the line that have likely upgraded the shafts and grips themselves and are selling at a bargain.

It doesn't sound like you understand their business model at all, though.  Everything else there is empty.

1 minute ago, OKMrazor said:

It doesn't sound like you understand their business model at all, though.  Everything else there is empty.

What isn't to understand? They are the highest priced irons in the industry while also charging a premium for stock grips and shafts that other companies offer while saying it is for premium packaging. They can keep their black box, I've yet to hit a ball with a box on purpose. They also charge 3x retail for shipping. Pretty simple business model there. 2nd in line to timeshares it looks like.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, larciel said:

MMT is $50 upcharge everywhere but PXG has them for free.🤷‍♂️

I was wondering that myself and at first thought it might be due to PXG using the parallel tip version that only comes in like three weights as opposed to the tapered that come in a large variety of weights, but I realized that makes no sense as they are the same price.  More than likely it's just a matter of PXG striking a deal with MCA to make a bulk purchase at a really good price that would allow them to provide it as a stock option.  Not totally sure, but that would be my guess.

27 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

What isn't to understand? They are the highest priced irons in the industry while also charging a premium for stock grips and shafts that other companies offer while saying it is for premium packaging. They can keep their black box, I've yet to hit a ball with a box on purpose. They also charge 3x retail for shipping. Pretty simple business model there. 2nd in line to timeshares it looks like.

With the way I hit it this past weekend, I sure wish I had that black box off the tee. lol

I'm with cardia10, the profiting off shipping charges stopped me mid cart. It doesn't matter what these irons were priced at one point, prices will always find their "level", and right now, the market apparently only bears $89/club of these previous gen irons. PXG trying to make up some of the price difference on what they think they should cost, and what the market will bear, by profiting off shipping is a deal breaker for me.

To each their own.

Edited by gibbiesmalls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pollock21 said:

I think it's been a while since you've bought something new. Most brands now are charging for DG TI's as an upgrade. Even my new Srixon's were an upcharge for DGTI X100's. There was no upcharge for standard X100. PXG doesn't offer the standard S300 or X100, so they are in line with most other manufacturers with their upcharges.

Look, I think it's clear you don't like PXG, so you decided to come into a PXG thread and hammer on them. That's your choice. So let's look at total cost, you want an $89 pxg iron, $10 grip, and $39 shaft. You're at $138/club or $966 for 7 irons plus $60 shipping so $1026 for a set. That's still cheaper than the $1200+ a set for most irons now. So your argument on getting nickel and dimed still doesn't hold water.

But you also stated "PXG billed itself as premium and is a sucker brand for people who will overpay for a "perceived" premium product when in reality, it has less invested in R&D that any other name brand on the market." You could at least modify that to say people are paying less for PXG so your opinion is somewhat accurate. But I'll stop pointing out the obvious to you, you've made your mind up about PXG and it's not changing, and I'm fine with that. But calling them overpriced and a company that nickels and dimes people is hardly accurate, the math just doesn't back that up.

I like their product, and the deals they were offering on the current clubs is really solid, especially at the prices that expired on 6/30. Bottom line, if you don't like them, don't buy them. I did, and I can't wait to receive them. My buddy has Gen 1 P's and they are absolutely fantastic. That's the real world experience I can add to the thread, as well as the ability to do math.

So they have essentially devolved form being the most "premium" brand on the market to the spirit air of golf clubs. 

• Haha 3