PXG Gen2 Irons, T, P, XF @$89/Club

MojoEd

16 minutes ago, PittShark said:

I was wondering that myself and at first thought it might be due to PXG using the parallel tip version that only comes in like three weights as opposed to the tapered that come in a large variety of weights, but I realized that makes no sense as they are the same price.  More than likely it's just a matter of PXG striking a deal with MCA to make a bulk purchase at a really good price that would allow them to provide it as a stock option.  Not totally sure, but that would be my guess.

That's likely the case with both the MMT and Elevate (for irons, probably a similar story with woods).  They struck a good deal on a quality shaft that fits a lot of people and accordingly offer these popular selections @ a lower price.  Increasing the no-upcharge shaft offerings would be at a higher price point per club - reasonably so - and the broad swath of people that fit into the *cheaper* MMT and Elevate would be effectively subsidizing the higher priced shaft selections of others.  

1 hour ago, cardia10 said:

Since words don't work, here are real life examples, or pictures.  Look on the right column down the Titleist iron shaft offerings. Far right is an upcharge cost, look how many NONE is there. I get 2 stock shaft offerings from PXG, both essentially cheaper shafts made for PXG that most companies don'e even bother offering. The last pic is a set of customized TM irons with PXG "upgraded" shafts and grips. Notice no charge from TM. Don't bill yourself as the best and most premium if you only offer the cheapest iron shafts in the most expensive heads in golf. Don't even think about putting $5 Lamkin Crosslines on a set of PXG, that will be $12 each...Until a few days ago, I had zero opinion of PXG other than they were expensive. Now, after almost buying a set, watching over 20 you tube reviews and understanding their business model, yeah, I guess it is fair to say I don't like PXG. I'm also like every one else here and will eventually have to have a set. My set will come off the BST here for half off the 60-70% of retail they are now charging. I'll support the original purchaser or a few guys down the line that have likely upgraded the shafts and grips themselves and are selling at a bargain.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

Once again, you quoted the price with standard true temper dynamic golds, which I said before, PXG doesn't offer. Maybe check on tour issue DG's and get back to me.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

17 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

So they have essentially devolved form being the most "premium" brand on the market to the spirit air of golf clubs. 

Not exactly, the entire discussion is related to their older stock/closeout models.

49 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

What isn't to understand? They are the highest priced irons in the industry while also charging a premium for stock grips and shafts that other companies offer while saying it is for premium packaging. They can keep their black box, I've yet to hit a ball with a box on purpose. They also charge 3x retail for shipping. Pretty simple business model there. 2nd in line to timeshares it looks like.

The newest are the highest priced. The closeout items this entire thread is discussing are not. Your Sim 2 Max irons are hardly apples to apples. You need to build up a P770 or P790 cart to be even.

If you don't want to spend the money, that's ok. Some of us do, that's ok to. But even with the business model that you detest, you can get these $89 PXG's with shaft and grip of your choice and the $60 shipping cheaper than the equivalent Taylormade models. Those are facts.

8 minutes ago, pollock21 said:

Once again, you quoted the price with standard true temper dynamic golds, which I said before, PXG doesn't offer. Maybe check on tour issue DG's and get back to me.

Not sure why 99% of Am's need TI S300's unless those 2 grams of +- matter that much. They still don't offer the most used and popular model of shaft in golf? Could it be the margin's aren't quite as good on them as the other offerings?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Dollars to donuts those are what are keeping the brand a live. When you are still selling something that is 2 full generations old, that is pretty telling how successfully they sold at full retail...

I agree, I can't think of any other manufacturer where people are still paying these prices for 2 generation old irons and selling them like hotcakes. It's definitely a testament to the product. Or at a minimum, giving people with normal budgets (like myself) a chance to try them out.

Just now, pollock21 said:

The newest are the highest priced. The closeout items this entire thread is discussing are not. Your Sim 2 Max irons are hardly apples to apples. You need to build up a P770 or P790 cart to be even.

If you don't want to spend the money, that's ok. Some of us do, that's ok to. But even with the business model that you detest, you can get these $89 PXG's with shaft and grip of your choice and the $60 shipping cheaper than the equivalent Taylormade models. Those are facts.

So TM's newest model and PXG's 3 year old model isn't apples to apples? I'd argue quite the opposite. I'd like to see a head to head comparison of Sim max irons and the old PXG's. I think, like every review video I have watched will prove, PXG isn't on the same level as any other major OEM offering, even their discount models. Ole Bob has the wool pulled over a lot of people's eyes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Not sure why 99% of Am's need TI S300's unless those 2 grams of +- matter that much. They still don't offer the most used and popular model of shaft in golf? Could it be the margin's aren't quite as good on them as the other offerings?

They help more with club building. But my point is still valid, there is a price difference between standard S300's and TI S300's, and you keep treating them as the same cost in all of your examples.

Just now, pollock21 said:

I agree, I can't think of any other manufacturer where people are still paying these prices for 2 generation old irons and selling them like hotcakes. It's definitely a testament to the product. Or at a minimum, giving people with normal budgets (like myself) a chance to try them out.

They are finally selling at a normal retail price, approximately 60-70% over cost. I would be sick to my stomach if I had bought a set of these at full retail. That is why Ping and Titleist set MAP pricing to protect retailers and the consumer.

1 minute ago, cardia10 said:

So TM's newest model and PXG's 3 year old model isn't apples to apples? I'd argue quite the opposite. I'd like to see a head to head comparison of Sim max irons and the old PXG's. I think, like every review video I have watched will prove, PXG isn't on the same level as any other major OEM offering, even their discount models. Ole Bob has the wool pulled over a lot of people's eyes.

Dude, your replies just keep validating how little you know about equipment. Sim Max are a GI cavity back iron. You're comparing to foam filled hollow body irons. Pick a P790 or P770, Cobra Forged Tec, Ping I500....it's the same type of iron. P790 retails for $1299/set and that version has been out since 2019. PXG Gen 2 were 2018. That's a fair comparison.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cardia10 said:

They are finally selling at a normal retail price, approximately 60-70% over cost. I would be sick to my stomach if I had bought a set of these at full retail. That is why Ping and Titleist set MAP pricing to protect retailers and the consumer.

Also don't disagree, TI and Regular S300 are different pricing. Considering what a squirt of epoxy weighs, I'm surprised anyone would worry about spec shafts that way, but remember, PXG are "premium." 

1 minute ago, pollock21 said:

You have a very interesting take on that, that PXG koolaid just hits different! I would not say they are remotely "selling like hotcakes" when they are still being sold, especially when they have already been heavily discounted for so long. And given the limited choices, buying a 4-PW set for $700 isn't any cheaper than previous gen sets from most other OEMs through bargain discount stores. You just can't find those at those prices because the inventory is already completely exhausted. Golf equipment sales have been and still are through the roof right now, the fact these still are inventory at this price is a testament to how unpopular they are, not the other way around.

6 minutes ago, pollock21 said:

Dude, your replies just keep validating how little you know about equipment. Sim Max are a GI cavity back iron. You're comparing to foam filled hollow body irons. Pick a P790 or P770, Cobra Forged Tec, Ping I500....it's the same type of iron. P790 retails for $1299/set and that version has been out since 2019. PXG Gen 2 were 2018. That's a fair comparison.

Take the foam out and cut the back off the "blade" and you have a super gi iron made to look like a blade. Great example, so originally, the PXG Gen 2 were 3x the price of the TM and have been compared many times online and TM always comes out ahead. The TM's also offer shafts and grips, not just 2 and 1, for no upgrade cost. So new TM 790s or multiple generations old PXG that would require multiple upgrades to be comparable? Either way, I'm still not paying $60 for shipping a set of irons that old, heck, I will never pay $60 for shipping for any set of any brand of irons. That is just a joke. They make you feel good by dropping the prices near what every one else is at at full retail, then overcharge for every item. Now you have just paid full retail for any other oem except "premium" PXG and bought a 4 year old set of irons.

Edited by cardia10

1 minute ago, larciel said:

PXG should've set the price at $98/iron and free shipping, then this non-sense wouldn't be necessary.

/smh

I'm sure they are fine clubs for the money, just not as huge draw given the limited shaft and grip options. Srixons are a far better value if you factor in the shaft/grip options if you go through a srixon rep. 

31 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I'm sure they are fine clubs for the money, just not as huge draw given the limited shaft and grip options. Srixons are a far better value if you factor in the shaft/grip options if you go through a srixon rep. 

I kinda agree, but then this gen 2 has better trade in value then zx7 and with MMT, ZX7 costs much more than this gen2 even after going thru a Srixon rep.

so this gen2 deal is really a can't-lose.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, larciel said:

I kinda agree, but then this gen 2 has better trade in value then zx7 and with MMT, ZX7 costs much more than this gen2 even after going thru a Srixon rep.

so this gen2 deal is really a can't-lose.

Only if that shaft works for you, those MMTs are pretty light and not an option for me.  I paid $112 a stick with Modus 120x and MCC+4s (tax and shipping included). Buying and building the PXGs to the same spec will cost quite a bit more

I already have the gen2 p with the elevate steel shafts which I really like.  Thinking about buying another gen2 p set with the mmt graphite just to try.  2 questions:

For those who have tried both the elevate steel and the mmt graphite.  Have you noticed much of a difference?  I know people get graphite to ease joint pain, but I don't have that problem (yet anyway).

If I order these I was thinking about getting the 0311x 4 iron for the heck of it since I wouldn't have to pay extra shipping.  I love my gen2 22 degree hybrid.  Would I be crazy to get this 4 iron if that's the case? 

17 hours ago, pollock21 said:

I went back thru the process to see if I was crazy. I never remembered them mentioning DG Tour Issue and from just what I can read, these are regular S300s. Maybe they are TI but I guess you would have to call and find out. $39 per shaft upgrade. Went all out and added Golf Pride Tour Velvets. $6.99 retail at Golfsmith. I bet PXG doesn't pay full retail for these, but those are a $10 per club upcharge. You can see total cost below. Great deal if you ever thought about paying over 3K for this set, but for a discontinued set, pretty steep. I'll find a set here to try with the shafts and maybe grips I want before paying full retail.

1.png

2.png

Edited by cardia10

15 hours ago, Mustu said:

I already have the gen2 p with the elevate steel shafts which I really like.  Thinking about buying another gen2 p set with the mmt graphite just to try.  2 questions:

For those who have tried both the elevate steel and the mmt graphite.  Have you noticed much of a difference?  I know people get graphite to ease joint pain, but I don't have that problem (yet anyway).

If I order these I was thinking about getting the 0311x 4 iron for the heck of it since I wouldn't have to pay extra shipping.  I love my gen2 22 degree hybrid.  Would I be crazy to get this 4 iron if that's the case? 

Which Elevate shaft do you have, the 95 or the Tour?  The 95 is a bit light for me, and the Tour is a bit heavy for me.  Played them both.  If you are currently in the Elevate 95, then you might be able to move down to the MMT 80.  The MMT 80 is a great shaft, and easy on the joints, but 80g is 80g.  That is light for an iron shaft, and a no-go for many.  I found the Elevate 95 to be the easiest steel shaft on my joints I have ever played, and a darn good shaft.  Just a bit under my sweet spot for weight.

On this other question of pricing, have the detractors looked at pricing out a Callaway Apex set for example?  Looking at close to $1,400.  I have a Gen2 P set 5-GW (with XF 5 iron) on the way, Steelfiber 115 shafts, CP2 Wrap grips, and yes, despite all of the upcharges, coming in right around $1k (ordered through DD, so saved on tax and shipping).  Go price out a comparable Ping, Callaway, Mizuno set with Steelfibers, and see where you come out...  Won't be any better than this pricing.  And I have played the Gen1 0311 (essentially P), and they are great irons.  This is not just snake oil.  YMMV.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

22 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Which Elevate shaft do you have, the 95 or the Tour?  The 95 is a bit light for me, and the Tour is a bit heavy for me.  Played them both.  If you are currently in the Elevate 95, then you might be able to move down to the MMT 80.  The MMT 80 is a great shaft, and easy on the joints, but 80g is 80g.  That is light for an iron shaft, and a no-go for many.  I found the Elevate 95 to be the easiest steel shaft on my joints I have ever played, and a darn good shaft.  Just a bit under my sweet spot for weight.

I have the 95 regular flex.  I had a set of Taylormade RSI1 irons (2 years and 2 sets ago) with graphite shafts that I played for several years.  I think those were really lightweight shafts...maybe 65 grams.  I actually like light shafts so I don't think the 70 grams MMT will be an issue.  I'm actually thinking about getting the 5 iron in the XF too.  I can hit the Gen 2 P - 5 iron off the tee great, but don't have as much confidence off the ground.  Thought the XF would help.

27 minutes ago, Mustu said:

I have the 95 regular flex.  I had a set of Taylormade RSI1 irons (2 years and 2 sets ago) with graphite shafts that I played for several years.  I think those were really lightweight shafts...maybe 65 grams.  I actually like light shafts so I don't think the 70 grams MMT will be an issue.  I'm actually thinking about getting the 5 iron in the XF too.  I can hit the Gen 2 P - 5 iron off the tee great, but don't have as much confidence off the ground.  Thought the XF would help.

I would think you would need to try them.  Might work, might not.  If the weights and spin work for "you", the MMT 70/MMT 80/Elevate 95/Elevate Tour shafts are nice stock shafts.  But PXG has a big gap with no stock steel shafts between 95-115g, and minimal graphite options.  Having been fitted for Steelfiber i110, I am giving the SF FC115 a shot, soft-stepped.  Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

4 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I went back thru the process to see if I was crazy. I never remembered them mentioning DG Tour Issue and from just what I can read, these are regular S300s. Maybe they are TI but I guess you would have to call and find out. $39 per shaft upgrade. Went all out and added Golf Pride Tour Velvets. $6.99 retail at Golfsmith. I bet PXG doesn't pay full retail for these, but those are a $10 per club upcharge. You can see total cost below. Great deal if you ever thought about paying over 3K for this set, but for a discontinued set, pretty steep. I'll find a set here to try with the shafts and maybe grips I want before paying full retail.

1.png

2.png

I mean, you can always have them ship the stock grips loose in the box and buy your own tour velvets, that'll save you $21. Hope you can install yourself though because most shops are gonna charge you $3/grip, then you're right back at $10. But at least you'd still save money. Good luck with your search man. For someone that says these are overrated clubs with poor R&D, you sure do seem interested. I'm sure with all of these being sold now, someone is likely to not like a set and you'll start seeing more pop up on the BST.

7 minutes ago, pollock21 said:

I mean, you can always have them ship the stock grips loose in the box and buy your own tour velvets, that'll save you $21. Hope you can install yourself though because most shops are gonna charge you $3/grip, then you're right back at $10. But at least you'd still save money. Good luck with your search man. For someone that says these are overrated clubs with poor R&D, you sure do seem interested. I'm sure with all of these being sold now, someone is likely to not like a set and you'll start seeing more pop up on the BST.

No doubt, I'm 100% intrigued and interested. Pretty sure I just bought a set here, 4-PW, DG Shafts and NDMC Grips and they look brand new, over $450 less than PXG discounted pricing. Also didn't get hit for $60 shipping. I hope I like them, but if not, someone here can get the next deal.

• Like 1