PXG Gen2 Irons, T, P, XF @$89/Club

MojoEd

17 hours ago, larciel said:

Received gen2 T today.

Hugely disappointed.

Top-line is very thick for a players iron. I thought I received P.

And Feeling is not buttery like my Apex Pro.

Head shape and feeling is like P770. It feels good when hit dead center, not so great elsewhere. 

Also I paid $100 for shipping two sets of irons. It was shipped in a regular cardboard box but just black. Two PXG stickers inside. Each head does not have shrink wrap but a bubble cover. Nothing premium to warrant $100 charge. Someone said here that you can call pxg to forgo 'premium' shipping and pay $0 shipping cost, I'd definitely do that.

Got my set from the BST here after a lot of discussion, a ton about the cost of shipping. Played 3 rounds and they felt a lot like the 790s to me. Very muted and inconsistent with distance control to me. I get the occasional 190 yard 7 iron when I usually hit it 165 ( I know, I'm embarrassed for me with the lack of distance and being a wrx'r.) For $300 less than the price from PXG, I got upgraded grips and shafts too which was a plus. Unfortunately they are now on the BST, but I do like the look of the Gen3. I'm a sucker, so I know I'll try those too eventually. Still shocked about the $60 shipping ask. I won't mention the price of a T shirt or shorts....

• Like 1

I would imagine the original PXG purchasers were perfectly fine with $60 for shipping, in a fancy box. After all, they were buying an experience and an image, and the fancy box is part of that. Guys buying current generation PXG probably feel the same way - you’re paying $2500 for irons, who cares about $60? 
Their close out sales of prior generations, or the 0211 line, are aimed at the more cost conscious buyer, however. They might be wise to have a second shipping option for the value customer.

• Like 1

No stripper gram delivery unfortunately but I received 5-PW XF & P set (stock everything, 38 1/4" 5 iron) from DD in about four weeks. PXG received order 7/12. Everything checks out, no issues on length or build quality. Ferrules turned. Grips straight. I'm a little worried I didn't go full P or XF or have them adjust the lofts to blend better. I've read some comments about guys getting lots of fliers and dispersion inconsistencies so I'll have to see how it goes and I could adjust at the shop if needed though.

I received Gen 2 P set today and played with it. I struggled a first few holes as it is too light, LOL. It has a good ball flight and the shot seems to hold up in the wind (DFW area). Definitely more clicky but I have played Miura 202s for the last 10 years so it's understandable. 

My bag:

Titleist 917D3 w/ Tour AD BB S
Titleist 917 13.5
Miura 202 3-p NS pro S Pured
Mirua Wedge 53 and 58
Scotty Cameron 2.6/California

Can I ask a question about a comp to the XF Gen 2’s?

I’m guessing the G410 irons as far as distance and forgiveness. 
I realize the XF are forged, so softer feel with them?
I’m not sure about getting the standard lofts or bent to the same as the Ping power specs?

Thanks in advance. If they are comparable to the G’s, I’m going to place an order with DD. 

Edited by john myrbch

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

PING G425 3W 14.5* & 5W 17.5*

PING G425 4H 22** & 5H 26* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

2 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Can I ask a question about a comp to the XF Gen 2’s?

I’m guessing the G410 irons as far as distance and forgiveness. 
I realize the XF are forged, so softer feel with them?
I’m not sure about getting the standard lofts or bent to the same as the Ping power specs?

Thanks in advance. If they are comparable to the G’s, I’m going to place an order with DD. 

Gen2 XF are shorter blade length, with comparable sole thickness (XF a bit wider sole).  Here is XF 5 iron on the left, G410 5 iron on the right.  Comparable forgiveness, while the XF has better feel not surprisingly.

8FBD9ECB-35B2-49FB-8DD8-633F7BA82416.jpeg

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

Gen2 XF are shorter blade length, with comparable sole thickness (XF a bit wider sole).  Here is XF 5 iron on the left, G410 5 iron on the right.  Comparable forgiveness, while the XF has better feel not surprisingly.

8FBD9ECB-35B2-49FB-8DD8-633F7BA82416.jpeg

Thanks, that photo is a great look at the size difference.

Im assuming since the lofts are the same,  they fly the same distance (with maybe a slight edge to the cast head Ping?

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

1 hour ago, john myrbch said:

Thanks, that photo is a great look at the size difference.

Im assuming since the lofts are the same,  they fly the same distance (with maybe a slight edge to the cast head Ping?

Loft for loft, I wouldn’t expect big differences in distance.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, john myrbch said:

If I order them through DD instead of PXG, do I lose the 30 day playability?

No, but I am dealing with a bit of an issue with that right now.  PXG wants to measure that 30 days from when DD received the irons, which was about 10 days before I received them after perhaps sitting on them a bit and the trek across the country to me.  I will need to explain to PXG that DD isn’t my local “pro shop”, hence the shipping from Oregon to NJ…

The CS rep I spoke with didn’t want to go with my argument, so he needed to look into it further, and never got back to me.  I don’t really want to involve DD in this, and will see where I can get with PXG.  To add to this, PXG messed up my initial order with a shorter shaft in my PW than my GW, and I didn’t receive my “corrected” irons until a few days ago, which I think they may have messed up the second time by not soft-stepping like the original order.  

PITA, but just be mindful of the 30 day period if you want it and need it.

13 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

No, but I am dealing with a bit of an issue with that right now.  PXG wants to measure that 30 days from when DD received the irons, which was about 10 days before I received them after perhaps sitting on them a bit and the trek across the country to me.  I will need to explain to PXG that DD isn’t my local “pro shop”, hence the shipping from Oregon to NJ…

The CS rep I spoke with didn’t want to go with my argument, so he needed to look into it further, and never got back to me.  I don’t really want to involve DD in this, and will see where I can get with PXG.  To add to this, PXG messed up my initial order with a shorter shaft in my PW than my GW, and I didn’t receive my “corrected” irons until a few days ago, which I think they may have messed up the second time by not soft-stepping like the original order.  

Yeah, please don’t ruin the DD experience for all of us so you can play around with $89 clubs for a few extra days. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Yeah, please don’t ruin the DD experience for all of us so you can play around with $89 clubs for a few extra days. 

Lol--my business ain't your business.  Let's see how awesome you feel when you spend over $1k on a set of irons and your PW shaft is shorter than your GW shaft.  And then they don't perform the correction properly and fail to soft-step like the original order.  Unless you want to make it right, it is for PXG to make it right. 

But fear not, I am not going to make a capital case out of it, and it will either resolve itself quickly and easily, or I will move on and figure it out on my own.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Please don't speak for me. 

As far as your statement goes, I find it outrageous, egregious and preposterous. 

• Confused 1

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

2 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Lol--my business ain't your business.  Let's see how awesome you feel when you spend over $1k on a set of irons and your PW shaft is shorter than your GW shaft.  And then they don't perform the correction properly and fail to soft-step like the original order.  Unless you want to make it right, it is for PXG to make it right. 

But fear not, I am not going to make a capital case out of it, and it will either resolve itself quickly and easily, or I will move on and figure it out on my own.

It is when you post about it on a public forum…

If the clubs aren’t correct why didn’t you just send them back instead of dragging DD into it? DD has nothing to do with how they’re built unless they put the order in with PXG incorrectly which doesn’t seem to be the case here. It shouldn’t take you 30 days to figure out your GW isnt shorter than your PW. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

17 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Thanks very much for the reply, and the details you included.

The 30 day playability being valid cinched it for me, although it’s probably more like 20 with DD, the savings from tax and shipping make it worth giving this a go IMO.

I just sent DD my order form, I’m going 5-G with MMT 60 shaft.

• Sad 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

3 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I can’t believe you even felt the need to reply to that post.

As you said, you spent over 1k on your set. Discounted or not, you’re entitled to the specs you ordered, especially when one shaft is shorter than it should be and might be off in flex.

• Confused 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

1 hour ago, ilikegolf26 said:

It is when you post about it on a public forum…

If the clubs aren’t correct why didn’t you just send them back instead of dragging DD into it? DD has nothing to do with how they’re built unless they put the order in with PXG incorrectly which doesn’t seem to be the case here. It shouldn’t take you 30 days to figure out your GW isnt shorter than your PW. 

Well yes, this is a public forum.  We discuss golf clubs, and all things golf.  I am not going to spend too much time engaging with you further, but I will clear a few things up since you have no clue what actually went down.

I never dragged DD into it.  DD is the best and a huge forum resource.  Instead of bothering DD, I specifically dealt directly with PXG immediately after I received my irons.  In fact, I was so quick in dealing directly with PXG about this, that I dealt with PXG, sent my faulty PW and GW to AZ, and received the "corrected" PW and GW in NJ, still within 30 days of me receiving the set initially from DD.  DD still has no clue any of this has gone on.

Now, club-building 101 would say that a PW shaft should not be shorter than a GW shaft.  I posted a photo in this thread or a different thread.  Then, when they re-built the faulty PW and GW, I don't think they soft-stepped those like the initial order.  This isn't life and death stuff, but is annoying nonetheless.  And to add further, I like PXG, am by no means a PXG hater, and would still certainly order from them again.  These Gen2 P irons at $89 per club are a steal.  And are wonderful with the Steelfibers.  I'll get this sorted out, even if I need to eat some cash in the process.

Yowza--and now you are still confused--not sure what your deal is man.

Edited by jeffrey r
ilikegolf26 is still confused
  • Confused 1

On 7/2/2021 at 12:01 PM, cardia10 said:

Had a set in my cart until I started the checkout process....$60 for shipping then they charge sales tax on the shipping too? Quickly went from $712 to almost $900 for me. That killed it. Seems like they make a ton of money nickeling you to death. Usually you don't see that with a "premium" brand.

Ah yes, your state government is PXG nickeling you, think next time you vote.

• Haha 2

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

7 hours ago, swgolf12 said:

Ah yes, your state government is PXG nickeling you, think next time you vote.

So it costs them $14 to ship but they charge $60? For the bomb proof most premium club ever made?! I was just hoping it was all a sad joke, but after playing them, it was still just a sad joke. Hey, at least I can get $300 trade in for a “premium” set though…

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, sociojeje said:

I will order when gen3 become $89 🙂 I like the gen3 design. Wish they carry mmt 90g for stiff not 80. 80 is great for long irons but it is a bit too light for short irons. 

I found the MMT 80 to be too light for my liking.  In the graphite arena with PXG, I need to go with the SF i95 or fc115 for weight.  Up-charge, but it is what it is.

All I can say on the gens, is that I picked up a cheap set of original 0311 irons a year or two ago, and those are great.  I recently bought a set of Gen2 0311 P with SF fc115, and those are great as well.  Great feel, great performance, etc.  Steal at $89 per iron before up-charge.  If the Gen3 get there on pricing, then have at it.

I can also add that PXG customer service has been good at fixing an initial error with my order, and then a subsequent error in the repair process. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I did cave in an ordered a set of 0311T with MMT 80S. Coming from S400, I pretty much knew that this shaft was going to be too light but went with it anyway. I wanted to give it a chance but also know that I could easily pass the set onto someone who could really use this shaft.  Tried them at range and confirmed my initial suspicion. I pretty much had no feeling at all during the swing and was totally lost. If I really throttle down and try to swing as smoothly as I can, I was able to get some flush shots off. I would say the overall impact feel is actually quite good. However, it might be a bit too much work to try to do such "gentle" swing all the time so this setup is going to be a no-go for me. Maybe in 10 years, these would be perfect... 

So the sale ended today, and I was curious what would happen. Refreshed the page this morning and saw Gen 2's were now $79 per club.. I was like What the heck! While debating if I should just go ahead and order another set with Elevate Tour X and just about to put an order in with DiscountDen, prices for the Gen 2 0311 models disappeared on PXG site. Does this mean they are gone for good? 

Edited by mister2cool
  • Like 1

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

18 hours ago, mister2cool said:

I did cave in an ordered a set of 0311T with MMT 80S. Coming from S400, I pretty much knew that this shaft was going to be too light but went with it anyway. I wanted to give it a chance but also know that I could easily pass the set onto someone who could really use this shaft.  Tried them at range and confirmed my initial suspicion. I pretty much had no feeling at all during the swing and was totally lost. If I really throttle down and try to swing as smoothly as I can, I was able to get some flush shots off. I would say the overall impact feel is actually quite good. However, it might be a bit too much work to try to do such "gentle" swing all the time so this setup is going to be a no-go for me. Maybe in 10 years, these would be perfect... 

So the sale ended today, and I was curious what would happen. Refreshed the page this morning and saw Gen 2's were now $79 per club.. I was like What the heck! While debating if I should just go ahead and order another set with Elevate Tour X and just about to put an order in with DiscountDen, prices for the Gen 2 0311 models disappeared on PXG site. Does this mean they are gone for good? 

I felt the same exact way about the MMT 80.  Nice shaft in the right hands, but I just couldn't get the feel for it.  Give me a SF 95 or better yet, SF 110, and now I can feel the club.  It would be great if PXG would start offering an MMT 95 or SF 95 stock, but doubt that will happen.

And yep, I think the Gen2 irons might finally be done.  DD had told me recently they couldn't fill anymore Gen2 orders through their rep, and I think the hand-writing was on the wall.  Great run for an outstanding line of irons at $90 a pop, and would be nice if the Gen3's ended up that low at some point.

On 9/2/2021 at 10:09 AM, jeffrey r said:

I felt the same exact way about the MMT 80.  Nice shaft in the right hands, but I just couldn't get the feel for it.  Give me a SF 95 or better yet, SF 110, and now I can feel the club.  It would be great if PXG would start offering an MMT 95 or SF 95 stock, but doubt that will happen.

And yep, I think the Gen2 irons might finally be done.  DD had told me recently they couldn't fill anymore Gen2 orders through their rep, and I think the hand-writing was on the wall.  Great run for an outstanding line of irons at $90 a pop, and would be nice if the Gen3's ended up that low at some point.

So after 1 week of trying, I ended passing the whole set onto a golfing buddy who's in the mid-60's at cost and he could not be happier. First day trying it he flushes a 5 iron from 180 uphill, ball hit center of the green, one hop and stopped. I had never seen him do anything remotely like that because he could not get enough spin on almost all iron shots to get the ball to stop. So at least someone gets to really enjoy these irons!

DD did confirm that gen 2 was sold out and there was the end of that. I suppose Gen 3 would get there when Gen 5 comes out. whenever that might be. 

I did notice one thing puzzling.. There is no longer any X flex iron shaft offering. I mean I don't know what other options they had in X flex besides Elevate Tour.. perhaps that was the only option and now X flex is not available? Jus seems a little strange to me. 

Edited by mister2cool

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34"