Questionable BST practice?

4 minutes ago, jj9000 said:

If you were ready to pay full boat, you should have offered full boat front the jump.

You didn't.  You snoozed.  You negotiated.

Time kills all deals....and in the time you used to negotiate, someone beat you to the punch.

Money talks.

I've done hundreds of deals here on the BST.  First to PayPal always gets the item.

Didn't think I was in danger of losing the deal as I agreed to the sellers terms.  Figured I was dealing with someone with some integrity as I have thought of everyone I have dealt with here. 

• Like 1

You are treating this way too much as a business transaction, this is not a retail situation, this is a casual place to get rid of stuff so we can buy more. Just be happy the guy was able to unload his stuff and move on, these will be another deal to be had.

I agree with JJ9000, time kills deals, you clearly really wanted this item (or you wouldn't make this thread), you learned a lesson, save time, make a full price offer and be done with it.

Also many of us who buy and sell a fair amount on here have been burned too many times, first to Paypal gets the item period.

• Like 4

Driver - TM Sim 2 Max - AF 505X
Fairway - Ping G425 Max - NV 70
Hybrid - Callaway Apex Pro 20 and 23 - MMT 80
Irons - Titleist T100 5-PW - PX LZ 
Wedges - Titleist SM8 50-54-60
Putter - TM Spider EX Ghost White

I agree with the OP on this.  The seller may have said full price takes precedence, but he also said OBO.  The OP made an offer it was countered and accepted.  The seller should have completed the deal with the OP, or offered to match full price.

Now with all that said, my opinion could change with the answer to the following.  Was the seller’s PayPal listed in the ad?  If it was, then first to pay wins.

• Like 2

Think there is one step that is missing in this discussion.  For the seller to have received the payment at the listed price, seller would have to give said buyer the same email address that Brennanf had asked for.  IMHO the seller should have contacted Brennanf first to give him a chance to meet the asking price before contacting the other buyer in this situation. 

This is really just a sing of the times.  No more first come first served.  First with the right amount of money wins.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GLF4EVR said:

This is really just a sing of the times. 

This was the point of this post.   Is there a fundamental disconnect in what constitutes a deal.   In other forums I frequent,  this would result in banning. Welch on a deal,  feel the ban hammer.  Here it seems to be the way we are going.

Not a sour grapes thing as they weren't even for me,  but my friends kid.  Not even my brand,  lol. 

12 minutes ago, GLF4EVR said:

Think there is one step that is missing in this discussion.  For the seller to have received the payment at the listed price, seller would have to give said buyer the same email address that Brennanf had asked for.  IMHO the seller should have contacted Brennanf first to give him a chance to meet the asking price before contacting the other buyer in this situation. 

This is really just a sing of the times.  No more first come first served.  First with the right amount of money wins.  

No PayPal in post.   Said to PM for offers and PayPal info. 

1 minute ago, Brennanf said:

No PayPal in post.   Said to PM for offers and PayPal info. 

I am with ya in this one.  First, I am 62 so in the camp of your word is your bond.  So back when I was a kid, the word "cell phone",  would make you think of something from biology class. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love the slippery ethics of some folks in this thread. 

"We should all be cool to each other...

except when money is involved." 

In those cases, it's Lord of the Flies.

Thank you Milton Friedman. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, Brennanf said:

Didn't think I was in danger of losing the deal as I agreed to the sellers terms.  Figured I was dealing with someone with some integrity as I have thought of everyone I have dealt with here. 

See my earlier post.

When I first started participating on this site, BS like this rarely happened. 

Ping G425 LST 10.5 Oban Devotion 6/04 or Riptide 60 CB 5.5
Epic Speed 16.5 HZRDUS Smoke im10 70 6.0
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec  6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33”

TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ Chrome Soft TT

1 hour ago, jj9000 said:

In the BST, first to send PayPal gets the item.

Always.

Nothing else matters.

You snoozed...you lost...learn from it and move on.

Agree.  The timing stinks for the buyer but nothing is final until money is sent/received.  

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

9 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Sounds like YOU offered less. 

If you "would have paid full price" then why not take all the BS out of it from the start and just do that?!  Sounds like you were trying to lowball and you got caught wasting time trying to negotiate.  I will never understand why people want something SO bad that they are willing to make a thread about it, but are unwilling to pay full price from the start.  You act like you were raised in some different way, but if fair is fair, then you know what you were offering, was not fair since you admit you were willing to pay full asking price.  Nobody here is getting rich by selling clubs, how about we just stop the lowballing BS all together and make this part of the forum easy and less dramatic.  Asking price always wins, first to pay gets it, NO I WILL NOT HOLD IT FOR YOU.  There are a few things that need to be "pinned" as far as the unwritten rules go....  And not for nothing, but most of us have been on the receiving end of this.  It's not fun, but it's also where I learned there's no time to mess around with negotiating if I REALLY want the item.  Agree to pay asking and move on.  This one is on you I'm afraid.

Bing. Bang. Boom.  

• Like 4

Ping Karsten Hoofer:

Titleist TSi3 8*

TaylorMade M6 15*

Cleveland HiBore 22*

Titleist 714 MB 4-PW

Cleveland RTX-4 52M/56M

Titleist Vokey SM6 60M

Ping Karsten TR Zing 

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, GLF4EVR said:

No.  Brennan isn't offering asking price out of the gate.  Seller doesn't owe him anything.  The full price offer guy gets the PP right away since he's willing to just deal.  The one step that you're missing is that if Brennan was willing to pay full price, he could have easily have done what the actual buyer did and just say "I'll take them at asking price, whats PP?"...  That's how easy it could have been.  

Taylormade Sim Max 9  HZRDUS RDX blue 60s

Taylormade Sim 15 Ti  Aldila Rogue Silver 70s

Taylormade Sim Max 19  Fujikura Ventus blue 7s

Ping S55  4-P  KBS $Taper 125

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52/12, 58/10

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Snell MTB 

Jones Utility

4 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

No.  Brennan isn't offering asking price out of the gate.  Seller doesn't owe him anything.  The full price offer guy gets the PP right away since he's willing to just deal.  The one step that you're missing is that if Brennan was willing to pay full price, he could have easily have done what the actual buyer did and just say "I'll take them at asking price, whats PP?"...  That's how easy it could have been.  

Reading is fundamental.  What from my post makes you think I said he was asking offering price right out of the gate?  My point is that the seller was in communication with him first, thus he could have given him the chance to meet the other offer.  The seller just bypassed him altogether.  Communication....

• Like 1

I guess I'm too old school to understand.   If I offer something for sale to a buyer and agree on terms,  it's theirs until they don't pay or back out.   How could you make a deal with someone and then say sorry,  another offer came in.   If the seller didn't create the terms of the agreement,  I would have no grounds as stated.   But he did offer the clubs at a price we both agreed on,  so I felt I had claim to them. It wasn't an offer that came with a caviat for a better offer.   It was a firm this price buys the clubs tonight offer.    Other than that,  I've nothing more to add. 

31 minutes ago, GLF4EVR said:

Reading is fundamental.  What from my post makes you think I said he was asking offering price right out of the gate?  My point is that the seller was in communication with him first, thus he could have given him the chance to meet the other offer.  The seller just bypassed him altogether.  Communication....

Right.  Maybe you should try reading again, then.  Point is, reiterated... Brennan was dikking around with price while the ACTUAL buyer offered full price from the get go.  That's why he got the seller's PP info right away.  So you would be correct in acknowledging that Brennan DID NOT offer full price.  It may be your honest opinion but that's not how it works.  I'm guessing you don't use the BST much cuz if you did you would know that there are LOTS of people who say they want something, ask for paypal, then disappear.  You can only be the "word is bond" guy for so long till you keep losing out on sales because you took some other guys word.  I get a much less cozy feeling from someone who is nickel and diming than from the guy who just wants to pay for it.  Give it a try sometime.

• Like 2

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Snell MTB 

Jones Utility

47 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Don't see it that way.   He made me a counter offer which I accepted.   At a minimum,  he should have given me the opportunity to match. 

3 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Right.  Maybe you should try reading again, then.  Point is, reiterated... Brennan was dikking around with price while the ACTUAL buyer offered full price from the get go.  That's why he got the seller's PP info right away.  So you would be correct in acknowledging that Brennan DID NOT offer full price.  It may be your honest opinion but that's not how it works.  I'm guessing you don't use the BST much cuz if you did you would know that there are LOTS of people who say they want something, ask for paypal, then disappear.  You can only be the "word is bond" guy for so long till you keep losing out on sales because you took some other guys word.  I get a much less cozy feeling from someone who is nickel and diming than from the guy who just wants to pay for it.  Give it a try sometime.

No problem with taking the full money if you haven't agreed to a price with someone already. There's the rub so many of you want to ignore.   Still a word is bond guy.  Always will be.   Raising my children the same way.   I've lost sales just like others, but done plenty fine in the long run. 

18 minutes ago, Brennanf said:

Don't see it that way.   He made me a counter offer which I accepted.   At a minimum,  he should have given me the opportunity to match. 

Why would he think you would match it when you weren't willing to pay full price up front?  I don't get why he owes you anything honestly.  Why should he risk losing the person who he KNOWS is willing to pay full price to a guy who has already tried lowballing?  

If you were willing to pay full price, why not just do that then?  I can only assume you were trying to get a deal and feel like you "stole" one from the seller.  It backfired and you lost.  You really have no one to blame but yourself and acting like it's some "generational" thing is just deflecting responsibility here.  

Had you offered full price and someone came in higher, then maybe yeah, I'd say you did what the seller asked and you should have a chance to match, but that isn't what happened.

• Like 3

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Snell MTB 

Jones Utility

2 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Why would he think you would match it when you weren't willing to pay full price up front?  I don't get why he owes you anything honestly.  Why should he risk losing the person who he KNOWS is willing to pay full price to a guy who has already tried lowballing?  

If you were willing to pay full price, why not just do that then?  I can only assume you were trying to get a deal and feel like you "stole" one from the seller.  It backfired and you lost.  You really have no one to blame but yourself and acting like it's some "generational" thing is just deflecting responsibility here.  

Had you offered full price and someone came in higher, then maybe yeah, I'd say you did what the seller asked and you should have a chance to match, but that isn't what happened.

Yeah,  agree to disagree.   Frankly,  this has been eye opening.   Like, really eye opening. 

8 hours ago, onetime19 said:

I've sold many items that I made a deal with someone, then another buyer comes in after with full price. If I have already made a deal with someone on price, then it's my loss and I stand by my word. Going back after an agreement is made and selling to someone else, is crap.

Agree!

Handicap:  3
WITB

3 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Sounds like YOU offered less. 

If you "would have paid full price" then why not take all the BS out of it from the start and just do that?!  Sounds like you were trying to lowball and you got caught wasting time trying to negotiate.  I will never understand why people want something SO bad that they are willing to make a thread about it, but are unwilling to pay full price from the start.  You act like you were raised in some different way, but if fair is fair, then you know what you were offering, was not fair since you admit you were willing to pay full asking price.  Nobody here is getting rich by selling clubs, how about we just stop the lowballing BS all together and make this part of the forum easy and less dramatic.  Asking price always wins, first to pay gets it, NO I WILL NOT HOLD IT FOR YOU.  There are a few things that need to be "pinned" as far as the unwritten rules go....  And not for nothing, but most of us have been on the receiving end of this.  It's not fun, but it's also where I learned there's no time to mess around with negotiating if I REALLY want the item.  Agree to pay asking and move on.  This one is on you I'm afraid.

Best reply right here^^^^

For those of you saying "including the OP" they should have gave you a chance to meet the asking price. Well they did.. It was there to start with and the OP came in with a lower offer. The seller gave you a counter offer which you you were willing to accept in the mean time a full offer came in and it was sold. If I was the seller why would I even think of coming back and giving you a chance of meeting the full offer? I would think you were not going to be willing to pay full price or you would have from the start. 

I was brought up a man's word is his bond. Anyone buying or selling anything soon finds out that phrase doesn't hold water when buying or selling. The real phrase is money talks. The OP should know it's not a done deal until the money is payed and received.

• Like 2