2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Questionable BST practice?

Brennanf

As I see it despite the fact he offered a counter the reality is your deal with him was NOT done until you got his paypal.

Before that too place, he got a full price offer.  I'm curious what the amount difference was.  If it was a lot, I see even less fault, if it were $10 here or there, you should have just paid it 🙂

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

23 minutes ago, Anser said:

Before that too place, he got a full price offer.  I'm curious what the amount difference was.  If it was a lot, I see even less fault, if it were $10 here or there, you should have just paid it 🙂

Might have done that but the last message I had was the counter offer that I agreed to.  For all intents and purposes,  I thought the deal was done.

It truly is the first time a seller has come out and said he took the higher offer after the fact.   I've had others come up with a story,  but I was struck by the honest sentiment that the seller felt nothing was wrong with his tactics.   Thus why I posted today because I've never been party to anything quite like this. What I have learned is this style of sale has existed here before and might be the way forward.  Still don't agree with it,  but at least I know the rules of the game. 

16 minutes ago, Brennanf said:

Might have done that but the last message I had was the counter offer that I agreed to.  For all intents and purposes,  I thought the deal was done.

It truly is the first time a seller has come out and said he took the higher offer after the fact.   I've had others come up with a story,  but I was struck by the honest sentiment that the seller felt nothing was wrong with his tactics.   Thus why I posted today because I've never been party to anything quite like this. What I have learned is this style of sale has existed here before and might be the way forward.  Still don't agree with it,  but at least I know the rules of the game. 

You knew the sellers rules, make a full price offer or risk losing to one and you lost to one. A lot of eyes on gear and things happen fast. Don’t risk it if it’s important for you. 

Since everything is out in the open ..

Asking price=

Your Offer=

Counter Offer=

I understand it’s somewhat irrelevant  , but the amounts may add clarity. Was it a lowball offer to begin with? 10, 20% less than asking? Maybe the seller felt it wasn’t worth risking a full price offer to give you the opportunity if you low ball’d it from the jump... 

Edited by golffeen007

:deadhorse:

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, Greenie said:

Best reply right here^^^^

For those of you saying "including the OP" they should have gave you a chance to meet the asking price. Well they did.. It was there to start with and the OP came in with a lower offer. The seller gave you a counter offer which you you were willing to accept in the mean time a full offer came in and it was sold. If I was the seller why would I even think of coming back and giving you a chance of meeting the full offer? I would think you were not going to be willing to pay full price or you would have from the start. 

I was brought up a man's word is his bond. Anyone buying or selling anything soon finds out that phrase doesn't hold water when buying or selling. The real phrase is money talks. The OP should know it's not a done deal until the money is payed and received.

Bingo.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

1 hour ago, Brennanf said:

Nothing was wrong with his tactics.  Let's look at it this way.  He countered, until you replied back with yeah that will work it was still a negotiation and someone came in and beat your offer.  If he'd have replied back ok my paypal is blah THEN took another offer, I'd see your point.  But, that's not how it went down.  

• Like 3

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

I never sell with OBO. I list the price I think it’s worth & I usually say price is firm. Undoubtedly there will be some low ballers. If someone offers a legit price that’s close, I’ll may give in or I may not. But OBO just invites problems.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

6 hours ago, CC Stryder said:

Well, this is exciting, eh?  As the proprietor of questionable BST practices I'll chime in in hopes of putting this to bed so the "Deal or No Deal" can go back to being about actual equipment deals to be had for all of us.  I'll preface this by saying I cannot see any of Brennan's posts as I placed him on ignore after he slammed my integrity.

I posted this ad at 10 PM Eastern after a long day of work to recoup some funds for my ongoing carousel of experimentation:  

•  

I understand the disappointment as it's happened to me as a buyer multiple times over the years.  I've learned if I want it, pay full price fast, if I'm on the fence, offer.  This is why my ad has multiple disclaimers 

Can't complain about the transparency above.   As I've stated,  most of the other forums I buy and sell on frown stuff like this.   This one operates a little different.   Since this was the first time I've had this happen,  I was kinda caught off guard, which won't happen again. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brennanf said:

Would have paid the asking price if seller didn't offer less.   At that point,  I was ready to pay as I thought deal was done. 

Honestly,  not even worried about the clubs.   I am still taken aback by the number of people that see nothing wrong with agreeing to a deal then backing out. I was raised your word is is your word.   Maybe I'm too old to internet. Lol

Sorry but part of the risk when you low ball a seller. If you really want it and are prepared to pay full asking, why not make sure you get them and pay full price. Too many people on here automatically offer less than asking price even if it’s a great deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brennanf said:

Can't complain about the transparency above.   As I've stated,  most of the other forums I buy and sell on frown stuff like this.   This one operates a little different.   Since this was the first time I've had this happen,  I was kinda caught off guard, which won't happen again. 

I think the thread shows this situation can go one way or another. 

I've been here for a fair amount of time and would offer this advice: If the item is newly listed and you want it, make a full ask price and pay quickly.  If the item has been on the BST for a day or so, then feel free to make an offer as sellers (myself included) want to unload the item.  

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

18 hours ago, jj9000 said:

In the BST, first to send PayPal gets the item.

Always.

Nothing else matters.

You snoozed...you lost...learn from it and move on.

THIS!  You may not like it, but that’s how it goes.  No need to create a thread to air your anger either, since it’s been done many times before you.

There was really no need to go so hard after the seller (especially someone with his time and BST activity on the site).

I’m sure like the seller and myself, you’ve earned your way onto MANY member’s “Blocked” list for the way YOU handled the situation.

Poor form.

Edited by Duffer222
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brennanf said:

If I was in the sellers position and you offered me $100 less than asking , I may have not responded or at least not until I was desperate.  Full price offer vs a low ball, seller did the same as most of us reading the timeline given. People don’t like dealing with low ballers so just lock this up , no need to complain about missing out something that’s on you. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brennanf said:

"Frown" on what!?  Dude, that transparency above shows you are completely in the wrong here.  You had no binding deal and to act like you were owed something for lowballing the guy looks extremely entitled.  Friggin near mint double dots for $750 and you went in at $650!??!  Lol.  I wouldn't even have given you the time of day.  At $750 it was still a deal and you knew that cuz you are admitting you would have paid it.  Chad is one of the best around here, this thread is a shame.  I find it hard to believe other forums treat this differently.  

WRX has actually been great at taking out the garbage IMO and they really try and keep users safe especially in the BST.  Much better than some other sites *cough, cough.. THP (you suck)*   

Sorry this experience has tainted your view here but you may want to reflect a little on how you handled this.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

The angry lowballers on golfwrx have pushed me away as a seller to eBay and Facebook lately. And I HATE eBay and Facebook.

I pretty much have to assume based on the PMs I get that everyone just wants to lowball and resell the stuff I’m offering. I get trying to make a buck, but you get the angriest replies and follow ups when you dismiss the laughable offers. The prices on the BST here are usually so much lower than eBay prices I can’t believe people lowball unless it’s just to resell later for a profit. Drives me nuts 🤬

• Like 1

What OP fails to understand is that they never actually agreed to a deal as communication goes 2 ways.  Then OP twisted the facts (on purpose or out of ignorance?), and then after twisting the facts has the audacity to talk about integrity.  OP should take a step back, reassess, and then take ownership of the mistakes made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

21 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Right.  Maybe you should try reading again, then.  Point is, reiterated... Brennan was dikking around with price while the ACTUAL buyer offered full price from the get go.  That's why he got the seller's PP info right away.  So you would be correct in acknowledging that Brennan DID NOT offer full price.  It may be your honest opinion but that's not how it works.  I'm guessing you don't use the BST much cuz if you did you would know that there are LOTS of people who say they want something, ask for paypal, then disappear.  You can only be the "word is bond" guy for so long till you keep losing out on sales because you took some other guys word.  I get a much less cozy feeling from someone who is nickel and diming than from the guy who just wants to pay for it.  Give it a try sometime.

Thanks for proving my point that people just do not communicate with one another.  People are just in too big of a hurry.  My opinion is that the seller could have sent a quick message to Brennanf that he has a full price offer from another buyer & see if he wants it at the full price, but has to act quickly & sends him his address for PayPal payment.  Then seller contacts other buyer to let him know he has another buyer in line first, but to stand by in case he does not receive a payment quickly.  Like have a 15 minute limit to Brennanf to receive the payment.

I do not really care how most of BST works.  All I know is how I would treat someone. But now people are in too big of a hurry to do things like this, let alone think of even doing it.  However, I guess people like this cannot even wait out the time to see if the first person to contact the buyer send there payment in.  Me, I am just old besides being old-fashioned.  Give people a chance to do the right thing, they can surprise you.  How I closed my last post.....communication.

15 hours ago, CC Stryder said:

Well, this is exciting, eh?  As the proprietor of questionable BST practices I'll chime in in hopes of putting this to bed so the "Deal or No Deal" can go back to being about actual equipment deals to be had for all of us.  I'll preface this by saying I cannot see any of Brennan's posts as I placed him on ignore after he slammed my integrity.

I posted this ad at 10 PM Eastern after a long day of work to recoup some funds for my ongoing carousel of experimentation:  

Sequence of Events:

• At 10:27 Brennan PM's me to offer $650.
  • At 10:43 I thank him for the offer and stated I had just posted the ad so I want to wait and see what else comes in or I'd take $700  
  • At 10:47 A new buyer PM's me with "I'll take it, what's your PayPal?"
  • At 10:52 A third buyer does the same
  • At 10:54 A fourth buyer makes an offer
  • At 10:55 Brennan responds with $700 works and asks for PayPal
  • Unfortunately PayPal doesn't give me a time, but somewhere between 10:50 and 11 I'm paid asking price by the first "I'll take it" member while working back through the other PM's and with the purchaser
  • At 11:07 I circle back to Brennan and see he has asked for PayPal to which I politely tell Brennan someone has paid full price and they are sold (as my ad denotes full price takes precedence)

I understand the disappointment as it's happened to me as a buyer multiple times over the years.  I've learned if I want it, pay full price fast, if I'm on the fence, offer.  This is why my ad has multiple disclaimers including I'm open to offers but full price takes precedence as well as first to pay, first to get (because we've all been ghosted by the PayPal is loaded guy).  Why would I think he'd pay full price when he could have done that from the start and instead offered $100 less? Had I given him my PayPal, maybe I could understand the point.  Had the sequence of events gone down differently and he paid $700 first, I absolutely would have honored it.  I have not nor will I ever send back a payment because I got a better one.  Once the money hits the account, it's yours.

From here it became a pretty consistent attack on my integrity and my feedback which culminated in my last response which was "I’ve not even brought up my rep let alone hid behind it to “pull crap like this.”  But one thing I will do is end this conversation and any future transactions" followed by a quick addition to my very short ignore user list.

I'm not surprised by the angry rant which only confirms I'm glad we did not reach a deal; nor will we ever in the future.    

Got to read your post finally.  Can see why you did what you did....time crunch.  Want to apologize to you if I sound real harsh towards you.  Bet you were trying to wrap things up before hitting bed.  With my work I am in bed before 9 pm.  I can say if the time sequences fell in about an hour after I got home from work, I very likely would not have even seen a single response until the next morning.  Which for me starts a 4:30 am.  

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 12:09 PM, Greenie said:

So if I understand this right you were discussing a price ,agreed on price and when you wanted to pay he let you know he sold it at full price. If the payment wasn't sent or accepted then I don't see a problem with what he did especially since he mentioned full price takes precedence. If he received your payment then they are in the wrong. At what point is it a done deal? When the seller has your payment IMO.

I always say money talks. If it is something I really want and I am willing to pay asking price I pay it. Any offer amount less than asking you always risk someone coming along and buying it out from under you. 

Their statement "full price offers take precedence" would have told me not to fool around with offers if I really wanted it and was willing to pay full price in the first place. 

the problem is at some point you have to decide who is sending you money. I hate ads where people post their PP in the ad. I'm not sending you money until you tell me it's mine. "first to PP" is straight up BS if that means you are giving your PP to multiple different people. 

I don't think sellers should be able to drum up offers for 24 hours and sell to highest bidder. You simple get offers, you either take them or refuse them, onto the next. 

Edited by pinhigh27

16 hours ago, CC Stryder said:

Sequence of Events:

• At 10:27 Brennan PM's me to offer $650.
  • At 10:43 I thank him for the offer and stated I had just posted the ad so I want to wait and see what else comes in or I'd take $700  
  • At 10:47 A new buyer PM's me with "I'll take it, what's your PayPal?"
  • At 10:52 A third buyer does the same
  • At 10:54 A fourth buyer makes an offer
  • At 10:55 Brennan responds with $700 works and asks for PayPal
  • Unfortunately PayPal doesn't give me a time, but somewhere between 10:50 and 11 I'm paid asking price by the first "I'll take it" member while working back through the other PM's and with the purchaser
  • At 11:07 I circle back to Brennan and see he has asked for PayPal to which I politely tell Brennan someone has paid full price and they are sold (as my ad denotes full price takes precedence)

I understand the disappointment as it's happened to me as a buyer multiple times over the years.  I've learned if I want it, pay full price fast, if I'm on the fence, offer.  This is why my ad has multiple disclaimers including I'm open to offers but full price takes precedence as well as first to pay, first to get (because we've all been ghosted by the PayPal is loaded guy).  Why would I think he'd pay full price when he could have done that from the start and instead offered $100 less? Had I given him my PayPal, maybe I could understand the point.  Had the sequence of events gone down differently and he paid $700 first, I absolutely would have honored it.  I have not nor will I ever send back a payment because I got a better one.  Once the money hits the account, it's yours.

From here it became a pretty consistent attack on my integrity and my feedback which culminated in my last response which was "I’ve not even brought up my rep let alone hid behind it to “pull crap like this.”  But one thing I will do is end this conversation and any future transactions" followed by a quick addition to my very short ignore user list.

I'm not surprised by the angry rant which only confirms I'm glad we did not reach a deal; nor will we ever in the future.    

This seems reasonable bc you specifically didn't say you accepted and that you wanted to see what other offers would come in.