I Hate Hybrids With A Fiery Passion... Help Me With My Bag Setup!

The title says it all, I hate hybrids with a fiery passion. They hook, or block right because I try not to hook them.

I hit my current 4 wood super straight and very high. I've contemplated going with a 15 and 18 setup but they're too similar for me.

I was thinking instead that I should go with a 13.5 wood and try a 21 degree 7 wood. Anyone playing something similar? My biggest deterrent with not playing two woods in the bag was them not being different enough to justify the spot. That's why I went with the 16.5 to satisfy a middle ground. Since I can't hit a hybrid maybe a 21 and 13.5 setup is the key?

Curious what you all think, and anyone who's tried it. My only concern is the gap between my 4i and the 7 wood. Currently gaming the 921 tours 4-G. 

Thanks in advance! 

SIM 2.0 Max 9 Ventus Blue 6s

SIM 2.0 Max 15 Ventus Blue 7s

915 Hybrid 21

Mizuno 921 Tour 4-AW $ Taper

Vokey SM8 Blue Slate (54.10.S & 58.08.M)

Rory McIlroy "RORS" Scotty Cameron

I have a Heavenwood at 21.5 degrees and I go from that to my 5i. I've found that I can choke up on it and take a few yards off when needed. It's money off the tee on tight holes or doglegs, and I can elevate it easily off the deck. I play a 15* 3w which is almost exclusively hit off the tee. 

I've lost count of how many hybrids I've tried and sold because I can't consistently hit them. 

I have looked at the 7 woods, but there are only about 4 in lefty. Currently going between the GAPR Mid and Lo. 

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

As per Wunder on IG questions, most pros are playing their 7w at least half inch short but many 1" short. This would help equalize the distance. I would argue that you may just be playing the wrong hybrid. I have a TC Apex 19 hybrid that is bent on strong (open face), flat, and has hot melt neutral/toe-side ish with a heavy "fade bias" (kind of BS marketing but whatever) shaft in it. I can hit it lower than my driving irons but I can hit a high cut with it too. The reason Iove this club is that it's much easier to get it out of the rough compared to any kind of utility. If I remember correctly you're in Ontario as well? If so, we do play in a fair bit of wind and that's where I found 5w to be a little unpleasant. I was using a strong 3w with it and it still went pretty far and didn't gap well with my 4i. I feel like a 7w might go too high to play well  in the wind for me, but I hit the ball pretty high to begin with. Anyways, I use a chunkier 4 that comfortable carries 225+ my hybrid carries 240, and then 260 on my 3w so it's pretty ideal. I almost went for the 7w idea but I'm pretty long and even from the tips our course is only 7000. I only use my driver on 8 holes so I like to have the hybrid as a tee club. 7w is not something I would like hitting off the tee I think. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS @ 8* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway Epic Speed 3w MMT 70x

Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Titleist U500 4i Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 

Miura TC201 5-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 

Callaway MD5 Raw 52S, 56X, 60T Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 35" 

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

Does the fairway woods need to be new? 

If not,  I would look at an older 5 wood that’s 18-19 degrees of loft. 

You can find some Adams Tight lies from 2013 or 2014 that have 19* of loft in a 5 wood, plus they are shallow faced so you can hit high bombs off the deck easier. 

If you are looking for new, there are many to chose from. 

A couple of the new hybrids like the Sim Max is more like a small fairway wood than it is a hybrid at 19* and the Maltby KE-4 ST-h is a hybrid for people who hate hybrids…… probably because it’s even more like an old school wood at 20*

http://ralphmaltby.com/products/maltby-ke4-st-h-hybrids/

Posted (edited)

Usually I'm the one wearing a headcover when I go looking for hookers.  Guess that's why I don't have any probs with hybrids or see them out and about looking to party...

Edited by PEI_Golfer

Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei 1K Pro White 60 TX

Titleist TS2 16.5* Tensei 1K Pro White 80 TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM P760 4-P TI S400 

TM MG 50/54/58 TI S400

Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line 35"

What about a Utility Iron in something around 19-21* depending on what the loft on your 4 iron is? 

I play a 15* 3wd and a 19* hybrid that depending on course I swap in/out a Callaway X forged UT that’s vent to 19* then go to my 4iron both fill a need depending on course and fly roughly the same for me. Totally different trajectories however. 

**WITB as of 6/14/21****

Taylormade SIM 2 - 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6X tipped 1.5" playing at 45" D5 SW Hotmelt added to head

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX - 15* Ventus Blue 7X Tipped 2" playing at 43" D5 SW Bent Flat and hot melted

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX Hybrid - 19* Ventus Blue HB 9X 

Callaway 21' X-Forged UT 18* - Ventus Blue HB 9X / 2* Flat (+1* loft)

Srixon ZX-7 KBS $-Taper 130X 4i-PW

Vokey SM8 KBS 610 Wedge 125S+ 50F/54D/58D
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 standard + 2 wraps
TaylorMade TP Soto 33.5” with Super Stroke Pistol GTR 2.0 - 

The PING G410 7 wood in my bag is perfect. It's 20.5°, but I play it turned down to 19.5° to open up the face a bit. No hooks and it flies high and lands soft. Highly recommend a 7 wood, even if it's not a PING. But I really love that G410.

PING G425 Max 10.5° (set to 9.5°) Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 50X

Callaway Epic Speed 16.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60 S

Callaway Epic Speed 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 S

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75 6.0

Callaway Apex Pro 21 5-PW KBS $-Taper Lite S

Callaway Jaws Forged 52° & 56° DG S200

Callaway Jaws Full Toe 60° DG Wedge Flex

Odyssey White Hot OG Rossie S 34"

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

The title says it all, I hate hybrids with a fiery passion. They hook, or block right because I try not to hook them.

I struggled with hybrids - until I found the ones that work for me.

• Hybrid 1 was a brand X I got for $40 from a golf scramble coupon. Really a weird club: good from tee or light rough, but off the fairway, it just went wherever.
  • Hybrid 2 was an Adams V4.. got 3H and 4H, but... had the to much offset problem. Had offset driver too... hooked both hybrids and driver.
  • Played FlyZ hybrids for a couple of seasons, but shafts started to get heavy. Switches since to single  Calla BB Osize 4H / 22*. It works fine.

As for you, two fairways could work for you. I struggled with 3W about the time I turned 60, and have been 4W + 7W since then. (I did switch models). A couple of fitters I've talked to try to put people into either 3W + 5W, or 4W + 7W.

If you are a long hitter, you mainly want a fairway or two that are reliable. Since we only get to carry 14 clubs, our bag mix will always involve trade-offs. 

The 13.5* with 7W could work for you. But... the gap might be too much. Can you hit the 13.5* off the deck, or is it mainly a backup driver? Do you even own a 13.5*, or is that something you might try?

PGA Tour pro Scott Stallings uses a 7W. He says it's more versatile than a driving iron because he can flight the 7W up and down, and can bring it in for a soft landing when needed.

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

4 hours ago, JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

I hit my current 4 wood super straight and very high. I've contemplated going with a 15 and 18 setup but they're too similar for me.

I was thinking instead that I should go with a 13.5 wood and try a 21 degree 7 wood. Anyone playing something similar? My biggest deterrent with not playing two woods in the bag was them not being different enough to justify the spot. That's why I went with the 16.5 to satisfy a middle ground. Since I can't hit a hybrid maybe a 21 and 13.5 setup is the key?

Curious what you all think, and anyone who's tried it. My only concern is the gap between my 4i and the 7 wood. Currently gaming the 921 tours 4-G. 

Thanks in advance! 

I play a 14.5* 3wd and a 20* 7wd. Putting the 7wd in the bag is the best equipment decision I’ve ever made. Took a yardage that was my weakness and made it very good to possibly the best yardage now. I hit it between 185 and 205 I can hit on the traj of a PW or squeeze it down and flight it low. AWESOME coming out of the rough. Could not be happier.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Aldila NVS 85 Reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Ping Tour-S Raw 56* @ 55, 60* KBS Tour 90 Wrx combo grind
Evnroll ER8 33”

Keep the 4 wood, get a 7 wood and a 4 driving iron. That gives you several options off the tee as well as a lot of versatility on longer 2nd shots. IMO, the 4 wood/7 wood combo is perfect.

• Like 2

Bag 1                                                                               Bag 2                                                    Bag 3

PING G400 MAX 10.5 GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X         Titleist 905R 9.5* Speeder S             Cleveland Classic 310 GD Pershing 60 S

PING G25 16.5* 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                Titleist 906F2 15* YS6+ FW S           Callaway Warbird 3, 5, & 7 Woods Memphis 10 Steel

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 906F4 18.5* NV 75 FW S       PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Titleist 915H 24* & 27* DG S300                                  Titleist 904F 22* DG S300                PING Eye 2 XG 56* & 60* DG S300

PING i210 6-UW DG TI S400                                         Mizuno MP30 4-PW DGS300           PING Sigma Tyne H

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54* & 58* DG TI S400                Mizuno T20 54* & 60* DG TI S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Blade w/Triple Track          Odyssey White Steel #5

I tried hybrids and had a problem with them as well. I have gone with a 4 wood and a 7 (21-22) wood(on the way). It will replace my 4 iron off the tee for the numerous short par 4's at my course and the two par 5 approaches on good tee shots. I can also choke down on it to hit out of the rough from 170 to 200. I'm thinking it will go 210 yards where my 4 wood probably goes 230.

Big Bertha Titanium 9d - Big Bertha 4, 7w - Titleist DCI 990B 5i-PW, DCI 962 4i, GW  - 8802

I had the same problem with my hybrids (Cobra F7's).

I was never consistent with them. I would frequently hook them, and would hit more bad shots then good shots.

I really wanted to like them, and going back to school I don't have the disposable income I once had. I thought about trying different hybrids or going to fairway woods, but decided to try and make the hybrids I already have work for me.

I decided to replace the OEM R flex shaft on my 3H with a Tensei Blue S flex staff (which I found for $35), and wow, did that wake that club up for me. Long, straight and high bombs.

I was once really frustrated with my hybrids, but now I'm in love. I just needed the right shaft to make them work for me. Go figure. 

I'm not a fan of hybrids either, so I have steel shafted Big Bertha Warbird Heavenwood and Divine Nine that do that work.

• Like 1

*Datrek Superlite Stand *

Driver PING G400 Max (10.5*)

Fairway Wood Callaway Steelhead XR  (18*); Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR (22*)

Irons PING Eye2 (4-PW); Wedge PING Eye2 XG (SW)

Putter PING Karsten 1959 Anser X (35")

* Datrek Superlite Cart *

Driver PING Rapture (10.5*)

Fairway Woods Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawk Eye (18*, 21*)

Irons PING ISI-S (4-SW)

Putter PING Anser X (35")

1 hour ago, drumdude96 said:

Keep the 4 wood, get a 7 wood and a 4 driving iron. That gives you several options off the tee as well as a lot of versatility on longer 2nd shots. IMO, the 4 wood/7 wood combo is perfect.

I’m moving into a very similar set up, except I’m playing my 3 wood turned down then move into a 7 wood turned down as well as a 4i UT with a graphite shaft.  Giving me tons of versatility off the tee or into par 5’s or long par 3’s.

I tried a 5 wood / 3 wood set up but distance was very similar.

Titleist  TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Titleist TS3 15*  RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Titleist  TSi2  21*  MCA Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

Honma  TR21x 4i   Vizard ib-wf 100x

Honma  TR20v 6-PW, TR20p 5i Modus 120x

Honma  48 (49.5) i sole Modus 120x, 54 i sole TI DG s400

Cushman  C&C 1.0 Raw Carbon OR

Scotty Cameron  Special Select Newport 

Bridgestone Tour B X

I demod the TSI2 7 wood when I got my tsi3 fitted.

I was look for 225 carry just above my 4 iron.

it was automatic. High, straight, couldn’t ask for more.

so of course, I didn’t buy it. But it’s a great option. I wanted a hybrid that would carryb230 but run out to use off the tee instead.

13 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

This is close to my makeup. My 4 DI is actually the set 4i head refitted with a Steelfiber hybrid shaft. And... since I only have three wedges, I also carry a 4H.

IF I opt for four wedges, the 4i vs. 4H would be a course-by-course decision.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I never like hybrids; I'm all about the fairway woods. I have a Miguel Angel Jimenez setup at the top:  Ping driver, 3-wood, 5-wood and 7-wood.

I use the LST version of the 3-wood and crank the loft down to 13.5, which gives me a rocket off the tee but also adds some gapping separation with the 5-wood. And then I have a slightly shorter shaft on the 7-wood (added some head weight), which creates a bit more separation between the 5 and the 7. 

My gaps are about 15 yards between each fairway wood. Not a lot, but it gives me a club for every situation with some varied trajectories and draw/fade biases.

I then go to a utility 4 iron, which goes about 15-20 yards shorter than my 7 wood.

TM Sim2 Speeder 757x VII || TM 300 Mini Ventus Blue 7x || TM Sim2 5w Ventus Blue 7x || Mizuno Mp20 4-9 Modus 120 || Vokey Sm8 46f 50f 54d 60d Modus 120 || Ping Tyne 4 || Titleist Pro V1 || Golf Pride CP2 Wrap/Pro

My biggest problem with hybrids and high lofted fairway woods is that I don't know where it's going to go when it comes off the face.

If you hit it off the toe you have a mini heart attack of "is this going to be weak right or a gear effect hook?" 

• Haha 1

Cobra SZX 10.5* // Smoke Yellow x-flex

Cobra SZX 15.5* // Smoke Yellow x-flex

TaylorMade SIM UDI 18* // Diamana Thump 100 x-flex

Titleist 755 4-PW // x100 

Titleist Vokey 250.10 // S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 54* // S300

Callaway JAWS 58* // S300

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined S 

3 hours ago, puttingmatt said:

You can go the 4 amd 7 wood route, but whats wrong with going with long irons straight in. Get a couple to match your set and go play. 

If you can stop them on the green from over 200 yards then the irons would be a good choice. However, my home course has very hard greens and they're elevated too so while I don't hit my 4 iron low I doubt I can stop the ball most of the time. Going off the back of these elevated greens is almost always giving up two strokes because one can never see the pin coming back.

Big Bertha Titanium 9d - Big Bertha 4, 7w - Titleist DCI 990B 5i-PW, DCI 962 4i, GW  - 8802