2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Costco Callaway hex tour (2021)

calvin4w

Just saw these (posting from the store lol). Anyone tried these yet? Seem to be different from the hex tour softs from Costco last year (no ‘soft’ now). 29.99 for a 24 pack

image.jpg

Ping G425 Max | Rogue White 130 MSI

Cobra f7 3, 5 woods | Diamana Kai'li

Srixon Z565 4-P | KBS Tour 90

Cleveland CBX2 50/54/58 | DG 115

Evnroll ER5v midlock

Just not much info out there.  Maybe someone can cut open a Hex Tour and a Hex Tour Soft to see if any differences can be determined that way.  As best as I can tell, there is no difference except the word soft when you look at the two on the conforming list.  On the packaging, the Hex Tour mentions a "hybrid" cover and I don't think the Hex Tour Soft does.  I don't know if there are any other packaging differences.  Not sure if Callaway currently describes any other balls in their lineup as having a hybrid cover except for the ERC Soft but I could be wrong about that.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Are these the same ball as the Diablo Tour?

Without Callaway making a statement on it or someone cutting open and comparing balls, I don't think anyone can say that it's the same as a particular other ball.  In any case, the Hex Tour and Diablo Tour are described differently on the conforming list and the boxes they come in,

Hex Tour: 3 piece - single cover.  "Hybrid " cover described on box.  Lots of Callaway balls on the conforming list listed similarly (3P-1c L-M 332 USA Callaway Golf Company).

Diablo Tour: 3 piece - double cover.  ."HPF" inner cover described on box.  No other Callaway ball on the conforming list listed similarly (3P-2c L-M 332 USA Callaway Golf Company).  If you look for the same specs on the conforming list without the company, only the Top Flite Gamer matches. 

1 hour ago, cardigan said:

Without Callaway making a statement on it or someone cutting open and comparing balls, I don't think anyone can say that it's the same as a particular other ball.  In any case, the Hex Tour and Diablo Tour are described differently on the conforming list and the boxes they come in,

Hex Tour: 3 piece - single cover.  "Hybrid " cover described on box.  Lots of Callaway balls on the conforming list listed similarly (3P-1c L-M 332 USA Callaway Golf Company).

Diablo Tour: 3 piece - double cover.  ."HPF" inner cover described on box.  No other Callaway ball on the conforming list listed similarly (3P-2c L-M 332 USA Callaway Golf Company).  If you look for the same specs on the conforming list without the company, only the Top Flite Gamer matches. 

This is mainly due to outdated views and the USGAs lack of guidance on the definition of the term “cover”. Early on with multilayer solid core balls, mantle layers were described as a 2nd cover without dimples since they initially shared similar material and injection molding methods (at least with Spaulding and Bridgestone). As the construction evolved and we started to see more mantle layers, it basically changed from being viewed as additional covers. 

The USGAs submission form for the conformance list requires counts of the number of total pieces and covers but different OEMs define the intermediary mantles and some times outer cores as additional covers. This not only results in inconsistencies between different OEMs, but sometimes between different model submissions from the same OEM even though they share the same construction. The fact that this is up to the submitter’s discretion is why the construction and the qualitative spin attributes on the list are pretty much worthless for the sake of comparison. 

Additionally, HPF is a proprietary ionomer blend made by DuPont that is commonly used for golf ball mantle layers. It is simply an injection molded ionomer mantle. As for the “hybrid” cover reference, this is simply marketing for some type of ionomer blend and really nothing special or different.

Lastly, Callaway specifically has played the rebadge game with specialty/discount retailer exclusives in the past so I wouldn’t put money on this being any different (nor would I expect them to acknowledge it either). The fact that the Diablo Tour (DSG) and HEX Tour (Costco) have the same single core, single mantle, single 332 dimple ionomer cover construction and the likely high volume that these retailers are ordering would logically point to it being the same ball with a different stamp and packaging. Cutting the balls open won’t really help much either as core coloring is very easy to change and the fact that there have been examples of balls from the same dozen with different core colors (not just a single OEM occupancy of this either). 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, storm319 said:

This is mainly due to outdated views and the USGAs lack of guidance on the definition of the term “cover”. Early on with multilayer solid core balls, mantle layers were described as a 2nd cover without dimples since they initially shared similar material and injection molding methods (at least with Spaulding and Bridgestone). As the construction evolved and we started to see more mantle layers, it basically changed from being viewed as additional covers. 

The USGAs submission form for the conformance list requires counts of the number of total pieces and covers but different OEMs define the intermediary mantles and some times outer cores as additional covers. This not only results in inconsistencies between different OEMs, but sometimes between different model submissions from the same OEM even though they share the same construction. The fact that this is up to the submitter’s discretion is why the construction and the qualitative spin attributes on the list are pretty much worthless for the sake of comparison. 

Additionally, HPF is a proprietary ionomer blend made by DuPont that is commonly used for golf ball mantle layers. It is simply an injection molded ionomer mantle. As for the “hybrid” cover reference, this is simply marketing for some type of ionomer blend and really nothing special or different.

Lastly, Callaway specifically has played the rebadge game with specialty/discount retailer exclusives in the past so I wouldn’t put money on this being any different (nor would I expect them to acknowledge it either). The fact that the Diablo Tour (DSG) and HEX Tour (Costco) have the same single core, single mantle, single 332 dimple ionomer cover construction and the likely high volume that these retailers are ordering would logically point to it being the same ball with a different stamp and packaging. Cutting the balls open won’t really help much either as core coloring is very easy to change and the fact that there have been examples of balls from the same dozen with different core colors (not just a single OEM occupancy of this either). 

All logical, but saying they're exactly the same with a different stamp is still a guess, especially when the statement is made without doing the minimum of looking at the balls side by side and feeling the covers.  There are 20 something matches for Callaway balls as far as 3 piece 332 dimple balls (that can be greatly reduced by ignoring urethane balls and different colors of the same model). Cutting them in half would be more than just looking at colors.  Different colors wouldn't say much but different size layers would say a lot.

I still think it's odd that I haven't seen anyone say that they've played them, even though I personally would be very unlikely to buy them considering the urethane balls available for less (like the Kirkland 3-piece) or only slightly more.

Edited by cardigan
I meant "urethane" not "non-urethane" in 2nd paragraph.
  • Like 1

I generally play urethane balls personally (TM TP5, Tour Response and Ksig 3.2 depending upon how I feel that day).  Occasionally I will play a Surlyn/Ionomer ball if the course is particularly soft from rain or early in the season when the ground is still thawing.  Really don't need the spin then.  I have 2 sleeves of balls in my bag (1-Diablo Tour & 1-Titleist Tour Soft) for those times or when I'm playing particularly bad and losing a lot of balls 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I generally play urethane balls personally (TM TP5, Tour Response and Ksig 3.2 depending upon how I feel that day).  Occasionally I will play a Surlyn/Ionomer ball if the course is particularly soft from rain or early in the season when the ground is still thawing.  Really don't need the spin then.  I have 2 sleeves of balls in my bag (1-Diablo Tour & 1-Titleist Tour Soft) for those times or when I'm playing particularly bad and losing a lot of balls 🤦‍♂️

I don't currently have any non-urethane balls in the bag.  I tell myself that for me to consider some they'd have to be cheaper than the KSig and available in a color other than white, preferably orange.  It's been a while but the non-matte orange Wilson Fifty Elite was my goto for those kind of days.  That was when they were regularly 2 for $25.

2 hours ago, cardigan said:

I don't currently have any non-urethane balls in the bag.  I tell myself that for me to consider some they'd have to be cheaper than the KSig and available in a color other than white, preferably orange.  It's been a while but the non-matte orange Wilson Fifty Elite was my goto for those kind of days.  That was when they were regularly 2 for $25.

I get you.  I have sooooo many balls (24 dozen various urethan balls) I know, I have a problem....Anyway I played a surlyn ball once this season in 20 rounds.  I should just give those balls to my son.

• Like 2

I obtained some balls in the name of (psuedo) science.  Hex Tour on the left and Diablo Tour on the right.  I did a horrible job of making symmetrical cuts.  The cover of the Diablo Tour is much brighter.  It is also noticeably softer.  You can easily tell the difference between the two with your eyes closed using your fingernails against the cover.  The core of the Diablo Tour has speckles while the Hex Tour is a solid color (probably meaningless).  The size of the layers looks to be very close but sometimes when I look at them it appears that the Hex Tour cover is slightly thicker.  The imperfect cuts may have something to do with that.  The Hex Tour is a bit clickier off the putter.  The balls will likely end up being given away (or traded for adult beverages) to friends who play non-urethane balls but I'll try to at least mess around with them both at the chipping area of the range at some point.  I don't have access to a Hex Tour Soft to see if it is more like one or the other.

D8B7CBA3-1629-4E37-9B57-F93A29E84610.jpeg

Edited by cardigan
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, rbark11 said:

Thanks for the info. Did you notice any paint blemishes/imperfections on the Hex tour ball? Some of the reviews on Costco noted that 

Not something I noticed immediately but after seeing your post, looking at the Costco reviews, and then checking more balls, I'd say that there are imperfections. 

Checking balls from 3 sleeves, I found many have one or two spots where your finger will catch (whether it's a slight cut or slight raised paint is difficult to tell).  That being said, I see the same thing when checking balls from 3 sleeves of the Diablo Tour.  None of them seemed like something that would affect the play of the ball but definitely noticeable if you are looking for it.

I mentioned that the Diablo Tour seems to be much brighter.  I don't know if that equates to Hex Tour balls being "dirty" as one review mentioned but I also can't really say that calling them dirty or dingy would be unfair.  It's the least bright ball that I currently have to compare it with but every other ball I have is a urethane ball (with the exception of the Diablo Tour that I have purely for comparison sake).  I didn't see any specks or flakes on any of the balls.

I did not see any paint issues with the logo on either the Hex Tour or the Diablo Tour.

All in all, I'd still say that if something like the KSig 3.2 works for you, it's probably a better option and definitely a cheaper option (unless you're using some kind of DSG/GG rewards or there is some kind of DSG/GG flash sale) than either the Hex Tour or Diablo Tour.

I am 72 years old and a huge fan of the Hex Tour Soft Ball.  It added 20 yards to my drive (now 235 yds) and chips and putts great.  Firmly believe this ball lowers my handicap by couple of strokes ( now a 12 @ blue tees) When I was told by my local Costco Mgr they would no longer carry the ball last year, I bought 10 boxes/20 dozen.

Just found the new Hex Tour/Black ball this week at Costco and purchased a box. I will report back to this group on performance and feel after a couple of rounds.

• Like 1

As promised, I'm reporting back after playing the Hex Tour/Black ball a couple of rounds.  It is definitely not the same ball as the Hex Tour Soft ball.  As the names obviously indicate, the Tour/Black ball is just not as Soft.  I would guess the Hex Tour Soft ball is probably a 15 to 25 compression ball and the Hex Tour is more like a 50 compression (I can't find the true stats anywhere).

Both balls seem to deliver about the same distance but I can definitely feel the compression of the Soft ball on the club face and not so much on the Tour/Black ball.

If you have a slower swing speed (senior, woman, etc.) the Soft ball is for you.  If you can find it.

If you prefer a ProV1 or ChromeSoft the Tour/Black ball is a good/cheap option for you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dilly Dude said:

As promised, I'm reporting back after playing the Hex Tour/Black ball a couple of rounds.  It is definitely not the same ball as the Hex Tour Soft ball.  As the names obviously indicate, the Tour/Black ball is just not as Soft.  I would guess the Hex Tour Soft ball is probably a 15 to 25 compression ball and the Hex Tour is more like a 50 compression (I can't find the true stats anywhere).

Both balls seem to deliver about the same distance but I can definitely feel the compression of the Soft ball on the club face and not so much on the Tour/Black ball.

If you have a slower swing speed (senior, woman, etc.) the Soft ball is for you.  If you can find it.

If you prefer a ProV1 or ChromeSoft the Tour/Black ball is a good/cheap option for you.

How was performance from 150 and in? Can you compare greenside spin to another ball we may be familiar with?

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

49 minutes ago, Dilly Dude said:

I think the Hex Tour/Black compares well at 150 or greenside to ChromeSoft.  It's a good/cheap alternative to the more expensive ball.  Biggest difference I found was the feel of a really compressed ball off the driver face with Hex Soft and not so much with Hex Black.

Wow, so it actually provides premium ball spin?!?!

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

I think the Hex Tour/Black compares well at 150 or greenside to ChromeSoft.  It's a good/cheap alternative to the more expensive ball.  Biggest difference I found was the feel of a really compressed ball off the driver face with Hex Soft and not so much with Hex Black.

I'm no computer but I think you would find ball spin on the Hex/Black much higher than the Hex/Soft.  If you like the ChromeSoft for $50 a dozen, you can't go wrong with Hex/Black at $29 for two dozen.

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked the Callaway Hex Tour SOFT in the blue box but also noticed that Costco has changed to the Callaway Hex Tour in a black box now.  That is why I found this forum because I too was wondering if there was a difference.  After reading through here I got great insight but no solid answer.  So I called Callaway and got a guy on the phone who told me the following:

Callaway has a dedicated manufacturing facility for Costco (makes me think that is where the Kirkland ball is produced too).  Costco dictates what Callaway will produce for them out of Callaway's offerings.  Costco wanted one change in the golf ball and repackaging.  The only difference in the Callaway Hex Tour SOFT verses the Callaway Hex Tour is that the SOFT has a 50 compression rating and the replacement / new model has a 55 compression rating.  Everything else is the same.  The guy said the distance should be the same but the ball may sound just a bit clickier off the tee.  Anyway, I ordered a bunch of the black box Callaway Hex Tour balls for a tournament I'm holding for my non-profit and a box for myself.  I will be trying them out tomorrow.  I will let you know if there seams to be a difference.

PS - I might have gotten the last Hex Tour balls Costco had in stock right now.  They are gone from their website and I called Costco who told me they are out of stock and don't have an ETA for when they will get more.

Edited by Orange County Hacker
Additional Info

I bought the Supersoft 55 for the wife as a low compression ball quite a few years ago.  I bought the more recent Hex Tour Soft balls for myself, a year ago or so. 

have been playing the Tour Soft recently, and like it.  Doesn’t blow the doors off, but around the greens it is great.  Into the greens last Sunday it was sticking to within inches of my approaches.  Driver…it’s as long as other similar balls in my bag.  (Nike Vapor, RZN Red, etc.  3 piece non-urethane balls)

I sacrificed quite a few balls, and some interrogation from the wife, to compare them.  Included are two of the Callaway balls discussed: <<<HEX TOUR SOFT>>> and the <SUPERHOT 55>.  I know what my conclusion is, and I have reclaimed the Superhots that are laying around.

Still VERY interested to pick up the new Callaway balls from Costco, even have passed up the current KSigs.

A58B7C15-5BBE-44D6-B9FB-13DC85ED3329.jpeg

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

Based on my last post, assuming the SUPERHOT 55 is a ‘55’ compression ball I think it is safe to say the Hex Tour Soft is also a 55 compression ball.  The ‘soft’ moniker coming from that 55 compression most likely.

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130