2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

flying with a ping hoofer

Good afternoon! I’ll be flying to Chicago from Orang County CA and was looking for some input. i have a Club Glove International travel bag and was wondering if anyone has had any issues flying with a ping hoofer and a same or similar travel bag. Will my clubs be protected, or should i use a sturdier golf bag?

thanks. 

Rogue ST LS🔹🔹🔹 GD Tour AD IZ 6S
Sim Ti 15* Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade rescue 19.0 GD Tour AD UT-95
Scratch AR1v2 4-P DG S300
SM8 52M/56D Project X LZ 6.0

SM9 60K DG
TP MILLS MING

Yes, Club Glove is the best. However, I always use a stiff arm. I once saw the airline grounds crew dumping luggage out of the belly of the aircraft directly on to the tarmac. They dumped a soft sided golf travel bag out, and it landed directly on the club end of the bag. If there wasn't a stiff arm in the bag, the woods were toast. A stiff arm is cheap insurance.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Did the exact same thing a few weeks back with a hoofer lite. I have a club glove collegiate. I got some bubble wrap off Amazon and stuffed it around my bag for a little extra padding and had absolutely no issues. 

Like argonne said though MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A STIFF ARM. If you don’t have one then you’re taking a serious risk. 

• Thanks 1

One of my legs got bent pretty good once on mine.  Use a stiff arm and then use an old bag if you have one. Airlines just don’t care how they treat your stuff. In fact I would surmise a lot of the baggage handlers enjoy abusing your belongings.  

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

8 hours ago, CEPHAS said:

Good afternoon! I’ll be flying to Chicago from Orang County CA and was looking for some input. i have a Club Glove International travel bag and was wondering if anyone has had any issues flying with a ping hoofer and a same or similar travel bag. Will my clubs be protected, or should i use a sturdier golf bag?

thanks. 

I would recommend taking the heads off all your longer clubs if possible, and using a StiffArm. Then wrap around your irons with a towel or two. Besides that your good to go. I’ve literally made hundreds of trips using my hoofer inside my travel bag.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

An old broom or mop cut down to a few inches longer than your driver can also serve as a stiff-arm. Some folks have put a tennis ball on the end, but the handle is probably sufficient.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I have the Club Glove Last Bag and a lightweight standbag. Never had any trouble on the airlines.  My Club Glove came with the Stiff Arm and I always use it. I take my driver head off (only removeable head in my bag) and stick it in one of the side pockets wrapped in a towel and put the head cover back over the naked shaft. I'll usually wad a couple towels in the top of the bag for added protection. Be sure to put on the bags travel cover at the top to hold clubs in place. Then I'll put my golf shoes against the bag spikes facing outward. A good travel bag (Club Glove is exceptional) and Stiff Arm will do a great job.  

If you're worried that the super light Ping bag is insufficient for travel try to borrow a 14 club separator bag for extra shaft protection. It should still be light enough to clear airline weight limits. 

• Like 1

I’ve traveled all over with my “OG” Club Glove and Ping (Hoofer2 and L8+) bags with no issues. Although I’m a hack I did play collegiate golf at a tiny NAIA program about 20 years ago and logged some miles during that time. Like others have said, wrap your irons with a towel and use a stiff arm. Your clubs should be fine 🤓

Edited by llamont
  • Like 1

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

All will be good with Club Glove. 

I'm in the camp of using a wooden stick instead of a stiff arm. Mine happens to be an old hockey shaft because I have them around. But a broomstick would be fine, of course. It won't break (I've seen the actual Stiff Arm's get bent). I also use a tennis ball on the end of mine.

Removeable heads get pulled off and packed separately..

Since I have a 4-way divider on my bag, I also put my irons in upside-down. Not only are they better protected, it moves most of the weight down near the wheels so gliding the bag around the airport is a lot easier since the weight is low and not hanging so much on your arm.

Edited by dubbelbogey
  • Like 3

Am I allowed to chime in with "just get a hard case" in this thread?

Throw in bag, shoes, and whatever else you need and don't spend a minute worrying. Yes, it can be a pain for cars depending on how big your group is.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

49 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Am I allowed to chime in with "just get a hard case" in this thread?

Throw in bag, shoes, and whatever else you need and don't spend a minute worrying. Yes, it can be a pain for cars depending on how big your group is.

I love the hard case option for durability reasons, but they are a HUGE pain when it comes to rental cars / ride share services. I guess if you're solo you could put them in the backseat of a car, but if you're with other people it can become an issue. 

I went on a golf trip with a buddy recently and we could only use UBER XLs because his hard case wouldn't fit in the trunk of anything smaller than an SUV or minivan. Needless to say I made him pay for all those as my soft club glove case would have fit in the truck of most sedans 🤣.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, golfortennis said:

For the guys saying remove the heads and pack separately.  Where exactly are you packing them?  I kind of wonder if it's not like packing the rangefinder in there, just inviting it to be stolen.  

Carry on.

As for hard cases, I know many have traveled with no issues using hard cases. And some airlines will only offer a damage waiver with a hard case. Valid points, but in addition to the issue mentioned above with rental car space, hard cases have been known to get damaged (racking of the hinges causing the buckles to misalign.) While the clubs may still be safe, the case itself are vulnerable to damage. Some of the hard cases out there are not very robust. They're not built like a Pelican case, for sure.

Also, soft side (specifically Club Glove) is how the vast majority of pros pack their gear. For those that make a living with their sticks, that's a decent endorsement.

Edited by dubbelbogey

17 minutes ago, dubbelbogey said:

Carry on.

As for hard cases, I know many have traveled with no issues using hard cases. And some airlines will only offer a damage waiver with a hard case. Valid points, but in addition to the issue mentioned above with rental car space, hard cases have been known to get damaged (racking of the hinges causing the buckles to misalign.) While the clubs may still be safe, the case itself are vulnerable to damage. Some of the hard cases out there are not very robust. They're not built like a Pelican case, for sure.

Also, soft side (specifically Club Glove) is how the vast majority of pros pack their gear. For those that make a living with their sticks, that's a decent endorsement.

Thanks.  I've never removed the heads, but I have a stiff arm and pack some towels around the heads.  So I have been ok.  Just carried on range finder.  

12 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

Carry on.

I'm on my second hard case.

My cheap one was broken by the handlers. Imagine what would have happened to the clubs! I have an SKB now that has a lifetime warranty. I had to get a wheel replace a couple of years ago, but otherwise it's still going strong.

I don't know what percentage of pros fly private vs commercial, but certainly the top guys don't have to worry about baggage handlers.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

I'm on my second hard case.

My cheap one was broken by the handlers. Imagine what would have happened to the clubs! I have an SKB now that has a lifetime warranty. I had to get a wheel replace a couple of years ago, but otherwise it's still going strong.

I don't know what percentage of pros fly private vs commercial, but certainly the top guys don't have to worry about baggage handlers.

True - but the bottom half of the Tour (probably more) doesn't fly private, and probably none on the KF Tour, not to mention all the collegiate players. When I've run across some college teams at the airport, it's dominated by Club Glove (I'm sure that's part of some sponsorship deals, of course). I also happened to once be at a hotel in China where European Tour players were staying for their event. Again, soft side cases were the norm as they were all gathering to check out.

• Like 1

I've thought about getting a hard case, but i just don't travel enough with my clubs to buy one. I picked up my CG cheap so I've kept it. I do have the wooden rod with a tennis ball that i have used as a stiff arm. I did forget about removing the heads. Also nice tip about turning the irons upside down for weight distribution.

Rogue ST LS🔹🔹🔹 GD Tour AD IZ 6S
Sim Ti 15* Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade rescue 19.0 GD Tour AD UT-95
Scratch AR1v2 4-P DG S300
SM8 52M/56D Project X LZ 6.0

SM9 60K DG
TP MILLS MING

16 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

They also have 3-5 people waiting for them to land with a truck full of personalized gear ready to be crafted in 15 minutes so I think that's apples to oranges. If I break my RadSpeed all i have are tears and my credit card number

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

• 2 months later...

I fly with a ping hoofer tour and a club glove, no issues, no concerns on any trip! 

• Thanks 1

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1