Tensei 1k vs ventus black

Htk084

15 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I've been told the same as well.  I have a problem with the lefts.  I remember us having a discussion where you said I should try the 1k over the AV raw proto 2.0.  Since that convo, you had me intrigued so I decided to bite the bullet and get one.  I had Justin_D tip it an inch and I'm going with the 70tx.  My Ventus Black is tipped half an inch.  Do you think that would help with cutting down on the lefts?  I swing in to out so my miss is a hook. 

Be careful with the tipping.  Some shafts you can get away with it and some you can't.  I've been down the road many times where i solve one problem but create another.  I would test shafts apples to apples with the same or similar tipping.  Don't go crazy trying to make something work, it either does or doesn't.

14 hours ago, Htk084 said:

I saw in your WITB thread you were considering going with a ventus blue 7X?  How’d that go for you?

It was a no go.  I tried the Blue 7x, Black 6X, and I'm right back to the Black 7X.  Just has the right feel and balance for me.  I do however have a Blue 8X in my 3wood and LOVE IT.

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

3 hours ago, J13 said:

Be careful with the tipping.  Some shafts you can get away with it and some you can't.  I've been down the road many times where i solve one problem but create another.  I would test shafts apples to apples with the same or similar tipping.  Don't go crazy trying to make something work, it either does or doesn't.

It was a no go.  I tried the Blue 7x, Black 6X, and I'm right back to the Black 7X.  Just has the right feel and balance for me.  I do however have a Blue 8X in my 3wood and LOVE IT.

Interesting what was the deal with the blue?  I have heard the blue tipped 1-1.5” is quite good

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Htk084 said:

Interesting what was the deal with the blue?  I have heard the blue tipped 1-1.5” is quite good

I had a Blue 6X tipped 2" and it still had some left in it for me.  The Black also gives me another 2mph in ball speed. But overall it's just not the right profile for me in a driver.  My 3 wood is a slow more deliberate swing as I'm usually trying to shape a shot or hit it a specific distance so Blue works great.

Edited by J13

Odyssey Versa #6

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, J13 said:

I had a Blue 6X tipped 2" and it still had some left in it for me.  The Black also gives me another 2mph in ball speed. But overall it's just not the right profile for me in a driver.  My 3 wood is a slow more deliberate swing as I'm usually trying to shape a shot or hit it a specific distance so Blue works great.

And the tensei beat out the black for ball speed?  You’re about the same swing speed as me so I’m very interested, what’s your swing like?

Edited by Htk084

I’m trying out the 1K 60X at 45” straight in and finding that if I go at it hard it is a left machine. When I’m smooth it is a rocket launcher (295-310 at 800’ elevation) with mid/low launch and spin. It seems like there is a lot of movement when swinging it and I’m not sure I like that... I’m cruising about 110-112mph on trackman outdoors and can get up to 114-115 if needed. I’ve tried the VBlue 60X and it was tighter but still had some left issues. The VBlack seemed to be more work than both the 1K and VBlue, but I wasn’t swinging as well when I tried it. 

Is the 1K softer butt causing the lefts?

Wondering if I’d be a good fit for the Ventus Red tipped (Purple). 

23 minutes ago, misteraces said:

I’m trying out the 1K 60X at 45” straight in and finding that if I go at it hard it is a left machine. When I’m smooth it is a rocket launcher (295-310 at 800’ elevation) with mid/low launch and spin. It seems like there is a lot of movement when swinging it and I’m not sure I like that... I’m cruising about 110-112mph on trackman outdoors and can get up to 114-115 if needed. I’ve tried the VBlue 60X and it was tighter but still had some left issues. The VBlack seemed to be more work than both the 1K and VBlue, but I wasn’t swinging as well when I tried it. 

Is the 1K softer butt causing the lefts?

Wondering if I’d be a good fit for the Ventus Red tipped (Purple). 

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any comparisons head to head against the ventus blue or black?  Like with distance, ball speed, etc

I’m wondering if the 60TX would have been better for you. Perhaps 

19 hours ago, Htk084 said:

And the tensei beat out the black for ball speed?  You’re about the same swing speed as me so I’m very interested, what’s your swing like?

Tensei 1K gave me like 1-2mph more ball speed on average.  Keep in mind the Ventus is a heavier shaft. I also tested the Diamana TB 60TX, it felt even smoother than the 1K and gave me a little more speed.  Problem was the profile and brought in.  

Odyssey Versa #6

2 hours ago, J13 said:

Tensei 1K gave me like 1-2mph more ball speed on average.  Keep in mind the Ventus is a heavier shaft. I also tested the Diamana TB 60TX, it felt even smoother than the 1K and gave me a little more speed.  Problem was the profile and brought in.  

I loved the TB, so smooth. I'm a mid-spin mid-launch driver, so the profile was a good fit for me on the LM.

Would really like to try the Ventus Black, ZF, TB on the course to see the difference in the real world.

4 hours ago, J13 said:

wait I thought u tested the ventus black 6x and tensei 60TX?  They should be pretty equal in weight 

1 hour ago, Htk084 said:

wait I thought u tested the ventus black 6x and tensei 60TX?  They should be pretty equal in weight 

I did but then tested the tensei against the 7X.  There was a point when i had Ventus Black 6X, 7X, Blue 7X, Tensei 1K 60TX, and Diamana TB 60TX on course for testing. 

Odyssey Versa #6

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, J13 said:

I did but then tested the tensei against the 7X.  There was a point when i had Ventus Black 6X, 7X, Blue 7X, Tensei 1K 60TX, and Diamana TB 60TX on course for testing. 

That’s a lot of shafts, all the best though. Which did you end up going with?

Edited by Htk084

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Strategery said:

I loved the TB, so smooth. I'm a mid-spin mid-launch driver, so the profile was a good fit for me on the LM.

Would really like to try the Ventus Black, ZF, TB on the course to see the difference in the real world.

Do you still have the TB?  I had it in my 3 metal and it launched way too high and spun too much for me.  Tried to make it work but no bueno in the end, hence the ZF.  I just got the tensei 1k 70tx sitting by my couch.  I'm testing it tomorrow out on the course.  Very excited.  The Ventus black is going to be the hardest one to load out of the bunch you mentioned but still have good feel to it.  Very little kick and It's the most stable for me though.  TB was so soft and loose for me.  ZF is solid mid/low with some kick to it from the soft mid. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Do you still have the TB?  I had it in my 3 metal and it launched way too high and spun too much for me.  Tried to make it work but no bueno in the end, hence the ZF.  I just got the tensei 1k 70tx sitting by my couch.  I'm testing it tomorrow out on the course.  Very excited.  The Ventus black is going to be the hardest one to load out of the bunch you mentioned but still have good feel to it.  Very little kick and It's the most stable for me though.  TB was so soft and loose for me.  ZF is solid mid/low with some kick to it from the soft mid. 

Good luck with the testing would love to hear all about it as compared to the ventus

17 hours ago, Htk084 said:

That’s a lot of shafts, all the best though. Which did you end up going with?

Ventus Black 7X

Odyssey Versa #6

Posted (edited)

The Ventus Black is now out and the 1k is now in.  I'd like to note that it's a 70tx and has been tipped an inch.  I got some range time and played 18 today.  It's very stiff.  Has a little more kick than the Ventus Black, but not much more.  The range had top tracer so just the basics in terms of numbers.  Launch angle was 8 to 12* and ball speed was 3-4 mph higher on average.  176 to 180 ball speed on stock swings.  Like @J13 has stated, the 1k is more prone to the lefts and wants to curve more, even on solid hits.  I hit 8 drives out on the course over 310, 2 of them into the wind.  Shortest one was 275 but it was necked into the wind.  There were parts of the course that was uncharted territory for me that I got to.  The increase in ball speed and distance is just too good to pass up.  10 to 15 yards is huge for me.  1k will be staying in my bag for the rest of this year.  I hope...... 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

On 7/4/2021 at 9:58 PM, HappyGilmore22 said:

Just have to hit it yourself I only hit about 5-6 balls with it but that's all it takes for me to know if a shaft works or not. I just a Diamana DF in my driver and I've only seen a few guys on tour use that but I think it's an amazing shaft so can't go by that.

DF is a great shaft that should be much more played than it is.

TSI3 @ 7.25* - Ventus black 7x
G410 hybrid @ 16* - Hzdrus black 85x
Callaway Apex UT 20* - RIP 100x
Honma 737v 4-P - Modus 120tx
RTX Zipcore 52* & 56* - X100

Scotty Cameron Catalina Two

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

The Ventus Black is now out and the 1k is now in.  I'd like to note that it's a 70tx and has been tipped an inch.  I got some range time and played 18 today.  It's very stiff.  Has a little more kick than the Ventus Black, but not much more.  The range had top tracer so just the basics in terms of numbers.  Launch angle was 8 to 12* and ball speed was 3-4 mph higher on average.  176 to 180 ball speed on stock swings.  Like J13 has stated, the 1k is more prone to the lefts and wants to curve more, even on solid hits.  I hit 8 drives out on the course over 310, 2 of them into the wind.  Shortest one was 275 but it was necked into the wind.  The increase in ball speed and distance is just too good to pass up.  1k will be staying in my bag for the rest of this year.  I hope...... 

you da man thanks for the update. Perfect timing as I just pulled the trigger and ordered one of these suckers earlier.  Glad you liked it. What’s your swing speed?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Htk084 said:

you da man thanks for the update. Perfect timing as I just pulled the trigger and ordered one of these suckers earlier.  Glad you liked it. What’s your swing speed?

118 on average I'd say.  Did you order the 60 or 70?  I'd also like to add that the ball initially launches lower with the 1k and flattens out nicely as well. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

8 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

118 on average I'd say.  Did you order the 60 or 70?  I'd also like to add that the ball initially launches lower with the 1k and flattens out nicely as well. 

Lower launch with the 1k?  Interesting. 

I got the 60TX but I got it with a ping so it’s not coming for a little while longer. What clubhead did u use?

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, Htk084 said:

Lower launch with the 1k?  Interesting. 

I got the 60TX but I got it with a ping so it’s not coming for a little while longer. What clubhead did u use?

SIM 2.  Honey moon phase obviously, but the drives were flat bombs.  Two of my drives fell out of the sky too fast however which is a bit of a concern, but I also have a OG SIM 9* head that I can always mess around with.  Time will tell but the 1k is looks strong and is also long. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 8:12 AM, golfboy1 said:

Got a 50x coming this week gonna put it in a Max LS hope it’s not too soft

You should tip it at least an inch depending on how much spin you need to bring down. 

• Thanks 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

13 hours ago, golfboy1 said:

Is it spinny? I’m getting it as a recommendation from a club fitter buddy?

I wouldn't say it's spinny but it's certainly not the lowest spinning shaft out there. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Beaster24 said:

I know I’m a little late to the topic but I have a 1K 70TX coming to test out against my VB 60TX. I like some kick in the shaft which I didn’t have with the VB so I’m hoping to get some with the 1K. 

The 1k has a little bit of kick and plays a little softer overall IMO.  It has really good feel to it for a low/low shaft. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

13 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

The 1k has a little bit of kick and plays a little softer overall IMO.  It has really good feel to it for a low/low shaft. 

Just ordered it so I’ll update you guys when it comes. Not sure what I’ll play around with if I don’t like the 1K, but you’ll be seeing my VB 6TX in the classifieds soon enough. What were your spin numbers with the 1K vs the VB?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the 1K feels so much better to me than the Ventus Black. Smoother, not as much work. My conclusion is I like tip stiff shafts in every case but I don’t like stiff handled shafts. The 1K feels nicer in the handle IMO. But very stable at impact. For whatever reason — maybe feeling the stiff handles cause me to try to swing too hard — I get more consistency with the 1K and more pop. Had never really tried a whiteboard profile. I can see why Tiger likes it so much. The impact feel is outstanding on full swings or if you ease up a bit. 

On 9/17/2021 at 5:17 PM, Beaster24 said:

Just ordered it so I’ll update you guys when it comes. Not sure what I’ll play around with if I don’t like the 1K, but you’ll be seeing my VB 6TX in the classifieds soon enough. What were your spin numbers with the 1K vs the VB?

Within 200 rpm of each other so it was negligible. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX