Jump to content

Titleist T300 irons users, tell me what you think?


jjfcpa
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/19/2021 at 5:59 PM, Mr_Wolfe said:

 

Come on Matt! Don't know you that everyone should be gaming GI's?

 

Mr. Wolfe

Well, not everyone.  If you're a part of the .00001% of the golfing population who can consistently hit the center of the club face, then you probably don't need to game GIs.

  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS Project X Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i525 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, Highlander 24 said:

Really interested in trying these out. What shafts are you guys playing in these. Im currently gaming SIM max with nippon 105 regular 

If you like these.  You’ll love the new version  coming out very soon.  

  • Like 1

PXG Gen 5 0811 10.5  Diamana 6+ 

TaylorMade Stelath  3FW  Ventus Red

TaylorMade Stealth  7W  Ventus Red

PXG Gen 5 0311 22* EvenFlow Riptide 80g
PXG Gen5 0311 6-GW Steelfiber I70 
Vokey
SM 54/58 

Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

ProV1X No. 12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Highlander 24 said:

I have a fitting set up next Saturday with the Titleist rep with the new irons. Very excited to try them

Good stuff.  Be sure and post about how it goes. 

  • Thanks 1

PXG Gen 5 0811 10.5  Diamana 6+ 

TaylorMade Stelath  3FW  Ventus Red

TaylorMade Stealth  7W  Ventus Red

PXG Gen 5 0311 22* EvenFlow Riptide 80g
PXG Gen5 0311 6-GW Steelfiber I70 
Vokey
SM 54/58 

Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

ProV1X No. 12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 2:43 PM, ShowMe said:

Well, not everyone.  If you're a part of the .00001% of the golfing population who can consistently hit the center of the club face, then you probably don't need to game GIs.

 

Most decent ball strikers will be WAY more consistent from 150 in not using GI clubs. Most people understand this. You can get huge flyers with GI clubs, no one really disputes that. You can miss all over the face on a GI club and it won't make a huge difference. If you nail that sweet spot dead on, you are looking 10% more distance that you did not want. You no longer need to be perfect with muscle and cavity backs. They are so forgiving without punishing you on mishits.

 

Mr. Wolfe

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, ShowMe said:

Nice!  Perfect mixture of passive-aggressive victimization in that response.  "Putting me down...shamming (sic) my iron choice...foolishly duffing around the course."  Lol.  Plus you threw in a pun ("par" for the internet course).  Very impressive.

 

Anyway, enjoy your clubs.  When you pure one with those blades, they sure do feel nice, and they look awesome.  Clean, beautiful lines.  Shiny like a new car.  Makes me have impure thoughts just imagining them.

 

Out of genuine curiosity, why do you use a Game Improvement driver and a Super Game Improvement 3W, but Tour-level irons?  It's an interesting juxtaposition (Or is it a paradox?  I get those two confused sometimes).  Is it that you need the extra help with the woods, but can consistently hit the center of the face with your irons?

 

I doubt your curiosity is genuine and abhor your condescension, but I'll bite.  I want my driver to go as far as possible with a fade.  This prevents the lefts from sneaking in.   In my fitting, that club was the G410 10.5 deg, turned down to 9.5, in the flat position, and weight on the toe.  Feel for me with driver comes down the the shaft.  The current Tensei Orange worked great in the winter, but my swing speed crept up, making the head hard for me to locate, and I'm now in the process of finding a replacement.  Currently leaning towards the Ventus Black 6X, but I want to be sure before dropping that much coin. 

 

I chose the 3w, closer to a 4 wood (16.5 deg), based on it's performance off the turf.  I utilize it often on par 5's and haven't historically used a 3/4W off the tee much.  I used a Sonartec SS 2.5 for about 20 years, but it had become redundant.  The SIM 2 bested the bunch off the turf and has had the surprise bonus of being a great second club off the tee on shorter holes where holding the fairway is preferred. 

 

None of this is paradoxical, because it has nothing to do with irons.  I don't use a blade putter either.  The clubs serve different purposes on the course.    

G410 10.5 Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2021 at 10:07 PM, bird_4_3 said:

Have T300s, went to a fitting and the TM Sim2 Max beat them out.  Time to sell the T300s lol, great irons, but I found a set that is better for me.

I was the same but with the regular Sim2 WAY easier to hit then the T300... Dont take this the wrong way the T300 is a good iron but not for me

Edited by sittingbull

Sand traps suck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 1:24 PM, MattC555 said:

 

I doubt your curiosity is genuine and abhor your condescension, but I'll bite.  I want my driver to go as far as possible with a fade.  This prevents the lefts from sneaking in.   In my fitting, that club was the G410 10.5 deg, turned down to 9.5, in the flat position, and weight on the toe.  Feel for me with driver comes down the the shaft.  The current Tensei Orange worked great in the winter, but my swing speed crept up, making the head hard for me to locate, and I'm now in the process of finding a replacement.  Currently leaning towards the Ventus Black 6X, but I want to be sure before dropping that much coin. 

 

I chose the 3w, closer to a 4 wood (16.5 deg), based on it's performance off the turf.  I utilize it often on par 5's and haven't historically used a 3/4W off the tee much.  I used a Sonartec SS 2.5 for about 20 years, but it had become redundant.  The SIM 2 bested the bunch off the turf and has had the surprise bonus of being a great second club off the tee on shorter holes where holding the fairway is preferred. 

 

None of this is paradoxical, because it has nothing to do with irons.  I don't use a blade putter either.  The clubs serve different purposes on the course.    

Ah, you confuse condescension with envy.  I'm just jealous of anybody who can hit their blades consistently in the sweet spot to avoid the 20-30 yard distance drop-off on mishits.  That's all.  I guess I could take some lessons, but I'm hitting 14 greens a round since I got my shovels, so I don't see much ROI in doing that.  Probably better to focus on my short game at this point.

 

That G410 is a great driver.  I have a buddy who absolutely kills it.  He's not had any issues locating the club head, though.  It seems to always stay attached to the end of the shaft.  Maybe you need to tighten the screw?

 

Anyway, I wish you continued golfing success.  Have a nice day.

Callaway Epic Max LS Project X Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i525 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Ah, you confuse condescension with envy.  I'm just jealous of anybody who can hit their blades consistently in the sweet spot to avoid the 20-30 yard distance drop-off on mishits.  That's all.  I guess I could take some lessons, but I'm hitting 14 greens a round since I got my shovels, so I don't see much ROI in doing that.  Probably better to focus on my short game at this point.

 

That G410 is a great driver.  I have a buddy who absolutely kills it.  He's not had any issues locating the club head, though.  It seems to always stay attached to the end of the shaft.  Maybe you need to tighten the screw?

 

Anyway, I wish you continued golfing success.  Have a nice day.

 

I took your advise and tightened the screw.  Wouldn't you know it?  My FIR improved from 10.7 to 14! 🙄

 

You grossly exaggerate the difficulty of hitting a bladed iron - especially a modern one.  There isn't a set of irons on the planet that will solely increase your GIR from 10-14.  Your game improved.  A switch back to i210 irons wouldn't result in a decrease of 30%.  Your envy is precipitating lies.

 

 

 

G410 10.5 Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ShowMe said:

You sure?  I switched from i210s to G425s and went from hitting 10.7 greens a round, on average, to 14.1 greens a round.  I have not experienced this "huge flyers" thing you say exists and claim that nobody disputes.  It must be that I never hit the sweet spot "dead on."

 

Regarding the forgiveness of muscle backs/blades, here's an excerpt of a review of the Mizuno MP-20s and blades in general:

 

"The one unequivocal downside of playing a blade is the lack of forgiveness.  The MP-20 is a true blade in that it is more than happy to leave your ball two or three clubs short of the target when you make a mediocre swing.  The highs are high when you play a blade, but the lows of drowning balls in water hazards are pretty low."

 

You must be one of the lucky .00001% of golfers in the world who can hit their irons consistently on the sweet spot.  I am jealous.

 

 

I am not referring to "lack of forgiveness". I am referring to consistency. With your philosophy, all pros would use GI irons since none of them hit the sweet spot every time. You are very dramatic with your observations.

 

Mr. Wolfe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 10:23 AM, MattC555 said:

 

I took your advise and tightened the screw.  Wouldn't you know it?  My FIR improved from 10.7 to 14! 🙄

 

You grossly exaggerate the difficulty of hitting a bladed iron - especially a modern one.  There isn't a set of irons on the planet that will solely increase your GIR from 10-14.  Your game improved.  A switch back to i210 irons wouldn't result in a decrease of 30%.  Your envy is precipitating lies.

 

 

 

Smart move!  You should probably retighten the screw before every round so you don't lose the club head in your swing.  That G410 is a great driver when the head is securely fastened to the shaft, as evidenced by your 14 FIR.

 

Regarding my i210s vs. my G425s, I played this afternoon using my i210s and hit just 9 greens.  I haven't hit fewer than 12 greens with my G425s thru 20 rounds so far.  Maybe the G425s magically improve my golf swing?  I guess it's possible...

 

Regarding blades, I will again quote a review of your MP-20s from another well-respected website:

 

"The one unequivocal downside of playing a blade is the lack of forgiveness.  The MP-20 is a true blade in that it is more than happy to leave your ball two or three clubs short of the target when you make a mediocre swing.  The highs are high when you play a blade, but the lows of drowning balls in water hazards are pretty low."

Callaway Epic Max LS Project X Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i525 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 10:26 AM, Mr_Wolfe said:

I am not referring to "lack of forgiveness". I am referring to consistency. With your philosophy, all pros would use GI irons since none of them hit the sweet spot every time. You are very dramatic with your observations.

 

Mr. Wolfe

Most PGA Tour pros do hit the center of the clubface on most every shot.  Hence, there is no need for a GI iron.  Look at their irons if you ever go to a tournament and you'll see the worn mark in the exact center of the club face.

 

That said, I think I read somewhere that more Titleist pros use the T100s or T200s than use blades these days.  Justin Thomas, Jordan Speith, and Cam Smith come to mind.

 

Finally, regarding consistency, if you mishit a GI iron, you might lose 10 yards of distance.  If you mishit a blade, you will lose 20-30 yards of distance.  GI irons are much more consistent than blades on mishits.  Ergo, if you can't consistently hit the center of the club face, then you probably shouldn't be hitting blades.

  • Like 2

Callaway Epic Max LS Project X Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i525 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tax77 said:

This is strange, page 2 of a Titleist iron thread is nothing but Ping talk.

The new T300s sure do look promising!  First time for them using variable face thickness in an iron, I think.  Anybody get a chance to hit them yet?  They're supposed to be generally available in a few weeks.

 

(Maybe that'll get us back on track...)

Callaway Epic Max LS Project X Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i525 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Most PGA Tour pros do hit the center of the clubface on most every shot.  Hence, there is no need for a GI iron.  Look at their irons if you ever go to a tournament and you'll see the worn mark in the exact center of the club face.

 

That said, I think I read somewhere that more Titleist pros use the T100s or T200s than use blades these days.  Justin Thomas, Jordan Speith, and Cam Smith come to mind.

 

Finally, regarding consistency, if you mishit a GI iron, you might lose 10 yards of distance.  If you mishit a blade, you will lose 20-30 yards of distance.  GI irons are much more consistent than blades on mishits.  Ergo, if you can't consistently hit the center of the club face, then you probably shouldn't be hitting blades.

The video Titleist put out of Max Homs hitting the T100/T100s/T200/T300 at TPI was great.  He is a CB player I think and he was amazed at how great the T100 looked and felt.   And amazed at the distance of the T100S and T200.   Sounded like he might consider switching to the T100. 

PXG Gen 5 0811 10.5  Diamana 6+ 

TaylorMade Stelath  3FW  Ventus Red

TaylorMade Stealth  7W  Ventus Red

PXG Gen 5 0311 22* EvenFlow Riptide 80g
PXG Gen5 0311 6-GW Steelfiber I70 
Vokey
SM 54/58 

Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

ProV1X No. 12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 11:13 PM, ShowMe said:

Most PGA Tour pros do hit the center of the clubface on most every shot.  Hence, there is no need for a GI iron.  Look at their irons if you ever go to a tournament and you'll see the worn mark in the exact center of the club face.

 

That said, I think I read somewhere that more Titleist pros use the T100s or T200s than use blades these days.  Justin Thomas, Jordan Speith, and Cam Smith come to mind.

 

Finally, regarding consistency, if you mishit a GI iron, you might lose 10 yards of distance.  If you mishit a blade, you will lose 20-30 yards of distance.  GI irons are much more consistent than blades on mishits.  Ergo, if you can't consistently hit the center of the club face, then you probably shouldn't be hitting blades.

I am not talking about blades. I am referring to MB's and CB's vs. GI's.

 

Mr. Wolfe

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

The video Titleist put out of Max Homs hitting the T100/T100s/T200/T300 at TPI was great.  He is a CB player I think and he was amazed at how great the T100 looked and felt.   And amazed at the distance of the T100S and T200.   Sounded like he might consider switching to the T100. 

I wouldn't blame him.  I think Spieth put the new T200s in his bag a few weeks ago.

 

It's kind of like when tennis pros went from using the small tennis racquets (think Connors with his small round metal racquet or Borg and McEnroe with their small wooden racquets) to using mid-sized ones years ago.  The mid-sized ones help to retain ball speed on off-center hits.  I think we're seeing a similar thing on the PGA Tour, as more of the pros move away from using blades to irons that can retain ball speed on off-center hits.  Granted it's not an exact comparison, as a tennis ball is moving and a golf ball is static, but the desire to retain ball speed on off-center hits is similar.

 

Here's what Morikawa said after the British Open - “I changed my irons, my 9- through 7-iron that I normally have blades in. I changed to the MCs strictly because I couldn’t find the center of the face. Those are three crucial clubs that are some of my favorite clubs. My 8-iron is my favorite club in the bag, and when I wasn’t able to hit it (well) last week well, I knew I had to try something different.”

 

If the best iron striker in the world is having trouble using blades in his short irons...

 

Anyway, I'm going to give the new T200s and T300s a try when they come out.  I've always been a huge Titleist driver and FW fan, but have never gotten along with their irons.  Maybe it'll be different this time.

  • Like 2

Callaway Epic Max LS Project X Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i525 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

I am not talking about blades. I am referring to MB's and CB's vs. GI's.

 

Mr. Wolfe

Generally speaking, MBs are still considered to be blades or blade-like.  Basically, they are blades with a little more forgiveness in retaining ball speed on off-center shots and they flight a little higher.  If you mishit a MB, you'll probably lose 15-25 yards in distance, compared to the 20-30 yards with a blade, and 10 yards with a GI.

 

Technically speaking GIs are CBs, although some of them are hollow instead.  You probably meant to differentiate between player's CBs vs. GI CBs.

Edited by ShowMe

Callaway Epic Max LS Project X Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i525 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

I wouldn't blame him.  I think Spieth put the new T200s in his bag a few weeks ago.

 

It's kind of like when tennis pros went from using the small tennis racquets (think Connors with his small round metal racquet or Borg and McEnroe with their small wooden racquets) to using mid-sized ones years ago.  The mid-sized ones help to retain ball speed on off-center hits.  I think we're seeing a similar thing on the PGA Tour, as more of the pros move away from using blades to irons that can retain ball speed on off-center hits.  Granted it's not an exact comparison, as a tennis ball is moving and a golf ball is static, but the desire to retain ball speed on off-center hits is similar.

 

Here's what Morikawa said after the British Open - “I changed my irons, my 9- through 7-iron that I normally have blades in. I changed to the MCs strictly because I couldn’t find the center of the face. Those are three crucial clubs that are some of my favorite clubs. My 8-iron is my favorite club in the bag, and when I wasn’t able to hit it (well) last week well, I knew I had to try something different.”

 

If the best iron striker in the world is having trouble using blades in his short irons...

 

Anyway, I'm going to give the new T200s and T300s a try when they come out.  I've always been a huge Titleist driver and FW fan, but have never gotten along with their irons.  Maybe it'll be different this time.

Spieth put in the T100 irons. He might have added the T100 in a 2 or 3 iron.  I know JT did but can’t recall if Spieth did to. 
 

yep. Great comment about Morikawa snd spieth said something very similar in his video promo of the T100. 

PXG Gen 5 0811 10.5  Diamana 6+ 

TaylorMade Stelath  3FW  Ventus Red

TaylorMade Stealth  7W  Ventus Red

PXG Gen 5 0311 22* EvenFlow Riptide 80g
PXG Gen5 0311 6-GW Steelfiber I70 
Vokey
SM 54/58 

Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

ProV1X No. 12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now for something completely different a post on the subject at hand. I played the 718 AP1s and went with the Callaway Mavriks after testing the T300s . I thought they were sweet but the lug nut on the irons back were off putting.  The new 300s coming later this fall doesn’t have this.  Another decision for going mavrik was looking for larger gaps between irons. The 4 1/2 to 5 range. 

  • Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally 

Driver Rogue ST MAX 10.5 degree
3 Wood Epic Flash 14 degree
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 17 20 23 degrees 
6 Hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree
7-GW PXG 0311 XP G4
52 56 Degree PXG 0311 wedge 

Putter Odyssey White Hot OG #1
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShowMe said:

Generally speaking, MBs are still considered to be blades or blade-like.  Basically, they are blades with a little more forgiveness in retaining ball speed on off-center shots and they flight a little higher.  If you mishit a MB, you'll probably lose 15-25 yards in distance, compared to the 20-30 yards with a blade, and 10 yards with a GI.

 

Technically speaking GIs are CBs, although some of them are hollow instead.  You probably meant to differentiate between player's CBs vs. GI CBs.

However you need to justify it.

 

Mr. Wolfe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Now for something completely different a post on the subject at hand. I played the 718 AP1s and went with the Callaway Mavriks after testing the T300s . I thought they were sweet but the lug nut on the irons back were off putting.  The new 300s coming later this fall doesn’t have this.  Another decision for going mavrik was looking for larger gaps between irons. The 4 1/2 to 5 range. 

That "lug nut," "sun dial," "volume switch" on the "old" T300 is just awful.  They cleaned it up on the T300s just released. Thank goodness.

  • Like 3

🇺🇸

Ping G410 Plus driver, Callaway Diablo 3W
Callaway XR hybrids

Titleist AP1 716 irons

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/14, Zing Lob wedges
Odyssey Tour Lined 2-Ball Ten putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've now got 4-5 rounds in on my T300s (old version, not 2021 version) and I'm really liking them so far. I'm coming from Callaway Rogues and I seem to be getting better dispersion on the 300s. Distances are similar but I don't seem to be getting the flyers that I'd sometimes get with the Rogues. I really like the turf interaction better on the 300s. I find the PW is much easier to hit for bump and runs than the Callaway, which I sometimes would stub on that type shot. I attribute that to the better turf interaction.

The one club I'm struggling a bit with is the 6i. But I think that is largely just needing to hit it more. I've only needed to hit it a couple times in the rounds I've played. Probably need a bit more work on the range with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question for some of you T300 users.

 

I am planning to get fitted for a new pair of irons in September. The T200s and T300s are on my list. Now a little background on me. I've been playing since 2011ish but seriously only this past season. My current gamers are Burner 2.0s with replaced shafts (PX PXis 5.5), which I replaced just because I hated the stock regular shafts that came with the irons. I've been getting much better as my handicap went to below 19 this year and is going down every month. 

 

How do the T300s compare to the burners would you guys say? I actually don't have an issue in getting a lot of spin our my my burners on approach shots as I can get it to stop on the green even with a 6i. But I'm curious how they'd fit or be different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 9:49 AM, ShowMe said:

I wouldn't blame him.  I think Spieth put the new T200s in his bag a few weeks ago.

 

It's kind of like when tennis pros went from using the small tennis racquets (think Connors with his small round metal racquet or Borg and McEnroe with their small wooden racquets) to using mid-sized ones years ago.  The mid-sized ones help to retain ball speed on off-center hits.  I think we're seeing a similar thing on the PGA Tour, as more of the pros move away from using blades to irons that can retain ball speed on off-center hits.  Granted it's not an exact comparison, as a tennis ball is moving and a golf ball is static, but the desire to retain ball speed on off-center hits is similar.

 

Here's what Morikawa said after the British Open - “I changed my irons, my 9- through 7-iron that I normally have blades in. I changed to the MCs strictly because I couldn’t find the center of the face. Those are three crucial clubs that are some of my favorite clubs. My 8-iron is my favorite club in the bag, and when I wasn’t able to hit it (well) last week well, I knew I had to try something different.”

 

If the best iron striker in the world is having trouble using blades in his short irons...

 

Anyway, I'm going to give the new T200s and T300s a try when they come out.  I've always been a huge Titleist driver and FW fan, but have never gotten along with their irons.  Maybe it'll be different this time.

 

Been predicting Pros going to GI clubs for a while now.... forgiveness is key in most sports Golf just hasn't caught up yet.  Golfers are caught in a time loop.... olden time loop... how a club looks, feels or sounds is irrelevant... and I get hammered for that one all the time cause unpopular lol.... performance is only thing that matters. 

 

If a space alien who never saw a club started playin golf they wouldn't give 2 5hits about a top thin line or the sound was soft or this or that just how close to the hole are they.... then they would eat your family if they beat you lol !!!!

  • Like 1

I try and like my own posts but can't figure out how...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 8:02 PM, Tax77 said:

This is strange, page 2 of a Titleist iron thread is nothing but Ping talk.

I must have missed the Ping talk. All I’m seeing are the posts going back and forth about blades vs. GI irons. It truly never gets old. 🙄 😂 

How about this. People just play what they want! What do you feel comfortable looking down at at address? What produces the results you are happy with?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

 

If a space alien who never saw a club started playin golf they wouldn't give 2 5hits about a top thin line or the sound was soft or this or that just how close to the hole are they.... then they would eat your family if they beat you lol !!!!

I’m pretty sure I’m not a space alien 👽 🤔 😂 But I can confidently say that when I first started playing and had no clue about things like top lines, softness, offset etc. I grabbed some Pings off the display that had super thick top lines, a huge amount of off set and appeared to be made out of pot metal, and I was instantly turned off by the look. I’ve always just naturally been drawn to a “cleaner” looking iron. Ended up getting some Mizunos that weren’t MB blades but also weren’t the nasty looking (to me) traditional GI shovels. Worked out great for me. Again, everyone is different. I got what I was comfortable with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2022 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 BMW Championship – Monday Pt. 1
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Scott Stallings WITB – 2022 BMW Championship
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
       
      Taylor Moore's new Ping Glide Forged Pro Raw wedges – 2022 BMW Championship
      Justin Thomas new Scotty Cameron T5 Proto "JT" custom mallet putter – 2022 BMW Championship
      Ping's new Glide Forged Pro Raw tour wedges – 2022 BMW Championship
       
       
      • 3 replies
    • 2022 Albertsons Boise Open - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
       
      2022 Albertsons Boise Open - Monday #1
      2022 Albertsons Boise Open - Monday #2
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
       
      Ryan McCormick - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Jacob Bergeron - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Anthony Quayle - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Ben Martin - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Matti Schmid - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Thomas Detry - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Nick Lindheim - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Min Woo Lee - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Rob Oppenheim - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Dean Burmester - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
      Brandon Crick - WITB - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
       
      Cameron putter covers - 2022 Albertsons Boise Open
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 14 replies
    • 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
       
      2022 FedEx St Jude Championship - Tuesday #1
      2022 FedEx St Jude Championship - Tuesday #2
      2022 FedEx St Jude Championship - Tuesday #3
      2022 FedEx St Jude Championship - Tuesday #4
      2022 FedEx St Jude Championship - Wednesday #1
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
       Marc Leishman - WITB - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Jhonattan Vegas - WITB - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Scottie Scheffler - WITB - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Jon Rahm - WITB - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Cameron Young - WITB - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Collin Morikawa - WITB - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Rory McIlroy - mini WITB - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
       
      New Ping putters - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Aaron Wise's new Cameron putter - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      New Odyssey putters - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Cameron Masterful+ & Timeless+ - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      Cameron T-12 prototype - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
      New Softspike Tour Flex Pro spike - 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 5 replies
    • 2022 Wyndham Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comment here
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 Wyndham Championship - Monday #1
      2022 Wyndham Championship - Monday #2
      2022 Wyndham Championship - Monday #3
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
       
      Mac McGirt (Will's son) - WITB - 2022 Wyndham Championship
       
       
       
       
      Pullout albums
       
       
      Cameron putters - 2022 Wyndham Championship
      Odyssey/Toulon putters - 2022 Wyndham Championship
      New Cameron Custom Shop putter covers - 2022 Wyndham Championship
      Axis 1 - 2022 Wyndham Championship
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 5 replies
    • 2022 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB & Photos- Links and discussion here
      Please put and questions or comments here 
       
       
      General Albums
       
       
      2022 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #1
      2022 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #2
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
       
      Ben Cook - WITB - Michigan PGA Section Champ - 2022 Rocket Mortgage Classic
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
       
      Cameron putters - 2022 Rocket Mortgage Classic
       
       
       
       

       
        • Like
      • 9 replies

×
×
  • Create New...