2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Titleist T300 irons users, tell me what you think?

jjfcpa

On 7/17/2021 at 7:36 PM, ShowMe said:

Yep.  I agree.  It's much more fun to use an iron with a sweet spot the size of a mosquito, like the MP20s, as opposed to one that is engineered to retain ball speed on off-center strikes, like the T300s.  Not that I'm trying to blade-shame you...🙂

I used to be a GI snob, too.  Then I bought some Ping G425s on a whim and started hitting 14+ greens a round.  Played today and hit 16 greens.  Sure, they're shovels and not nearly as pretty as your beautiful MP20s, but on the other hand my handicap down to 1.4.  Life is good.

You know what they say...Indocti discant, et ament meminisse periti.‎

From big kids tees, this 70yr old recently shot 2 over par using my stinking 620 MBs with mosquito sweet spots.  It was just as easy for me as T300's are for you.  I feel no shame, even if that's your undying intention. 😛

quæ fuit durum pati meminisse dulce est

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Haha 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

2 hours ago, TiScape said:

I’m pretty sure I’m not a space alien 👽🤔😂 But I can confidently say that when I first started playing and had no clue about things like top lines, softness, offset etc. I grabbed some Pings off the display that had super thick top lines, a huge amount of off set and appeared to be made out of pot metal, and I was instantly turned off by the look. I’ve always just naturally been drawn to a “cleaner” looking iron. Ended up getting some Mizunos that weren’t MB blades but also weren’t the nasty looking (to me) traditional GI shovels. Worked out great for me. Again, everyone is different. I got what I was comfortable with. 

I would never say OFFSET is about looks! .... its a functional thing that changes flight..... its like seeing a club that is way to upright or flat, its not gonna look right to the eye cause of function not cause it looks chunky or sounds soft or feels soft.... those 3 are irrelevant!

Can't figure how to like my own posts

2 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

I would never say OFFSET is about looks! .... its a functional thing that changes flight..... its like seeing a club that is way to upright or flat, its not gonna look right to the eye cause of function not cause it looks chunky or sounds soft or feels soft.... those 3 are irrelevant!

Well when I look down at address I see it! So…. Haha

All I know is I don’t like how it looks when I’m over the ball and functionally I don’t require much of it. But I understand what you are saying about offset not being there for aesthetic reasons. It serves a purpose. So again, play what looks good to you and works for you 😊

Edited by TiScape

I've not seen any published offset numbers for the T300; however, I'm sure it's there, just not how much of an issue it would be for anyone except maybe a single digit hc.

I have a couple other sets and they don't offensive at all to me.  I don't really judge a club on looks as long as the performance is there.  I have a set of jpx921 hot metal pros and while I can certainly play them, and they definitely have better curb appeal, but I get better results with the T300's.  

As far as I'm concerned, unless you have an ego the size of Texas and want to look more like a golfer than play like one, you should focus on performance and forget appearance.

7 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

From big kids tees, this 70yr old recently shot 2 over par using my stinking 620 MBs with mosquito sweet spots.  It was just as easy for me as T300's are for you.  I feel no shame, even if that's your undying intention. 😛

quæ fuit durum pati meminisse dulce est

Sure, but you only hit 7 greens and had to rely on your great short game.  All you old guys have great short games.  You probably would have shot 2 under par using the T300s.  😜

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

8 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

Been predicting Pros going to GI clubs for a while now.... forgiveness is key in most sports Golf just hasn't caught up yet.  Golfers are caught in a time loop.... olden time loop... how a club looks, feels or sounds is irrelevant... and I get hammered for that one all the time cause unpopular lol.... performance is only thing that matters. 

If a space alien who never saw a club started playin golf they wouldn't give 2 5hits about a top thin line or the sound was soft or this or that just how close to the hole are they.... then they would eat your family if they beat you lol !!!!

They certainly do seem to be moving to more forgiving irons with each new generation of pros, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I’ve read post after post here supporting more forgiving CBs/GI irons over blades. Citing reviews, talking about pros that don’t even play blades…  Is this really necessary? Are there really people here that honestly don’t understand that GI irons are more forgiving than blades on mishits??? 😂 And if someone wants to use blades knowing this, so what. It’s their prerogative.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TiScape said:

For a GI iron it actually doesn’t have a lot. What I expect from Titleist. Below the 300 is Mavrik Max at address. HUGE difference.

650C6F33-4A15-4FB3-9684-DE60FB180A48.jpeg

CA1944BB-550A-40C7-AD24-36BBFCB2F725.jpeg

The new T300 has very low offset for a GI iron. Significantly less offset than the G425 or 921 Hot metal. It's actually closer to the Hot metal Pro. Only slightly more offset than the Srixon ZX5. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TiScape said:

I’ve read post after post here supporting more forgiving CBs/GI irons over blades. Citing reviews, talking about pros that don’t even play blades…  Is this really necessary? Are there really people here that honestly don’t understand that GI irons are more forgiving than blades on mishits??? 😂 And if someone wants to use blades knowing this, so what. It’s their prerogative.

Why yes their is someone out here that doesn’t believe the CBs hype. That was where this post started to get hijacked early on in the post. I agree with you.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

15 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Sure, but you only hit 7 greens and had to rely on your great short game.  All you old guys have great short games.  You probably would have shot 2 under par using the T300s.  😜

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, I don't live in fairy tale land.  I still got the job done.  On the other hand, T300s shovels are for diggers that struggle to find the sweet spot... LOL

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I’m an old CEO who always—and I mean always!—hits the sweet spot on my 2 iron that I also happen to throw darts with. Flagsticks tremble when I pull my 2 iron out of my bag.

But you mere mortals don’t have my superior genetics so I don’t expect you to understand, let alone to be able to wield blades like I do.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, I don't live in fairy tale land.  I still got the job done.  On the other hand, T300s shovels are for diggers that struggle to find the sweet spot... LOL

There you go shovel-shaming me.  See how I turned that around on you?  🙃

But, you are correct.  You don't write down the type of irons you used on the scorecard.  Plus, if somebody's short game allows them to get up and down a high percentage of time, then it probably doesn't matter what kind iron they use.  In the end, the only thing that really matters is the score. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bt31 said:

The new T300 has very low offset for a GI iron. Significantly less offset than the G425 or 921 Hot metal. It's actually closer to the Hot metal Pro. Only slightly more offset than the Srixon ZX5. 

That's good news.  I wonder if they put more weight in the bottom of the club face and hence don't need as much offset as the previous version.

• Like 1

Coming back to titleist T300.

Been using them for more than a year now and also  moved from i 200 xp95 to graphite after titleist Thursday’s fitting .more height ( low ball hitter ) distance and forgiveness  but les GIR and farther from the pin. Turf interaction is definitely different .  I guess it is the Indian not the arrow . HDCP went from 4-5 to 6-7

4 hours ago, ShowMe said:

That's good news.  I wonder if they put more weight in the bottom of the club face and hence don't need as much offset as the previous version.

I think the previous T300 had similar offset as did the AP1s in the past. As to the weighting, the previous T300 had a very low CG according to the measurements Maltby does on his site for the playability factor he assigns iron heads. With the additional tungsten in the new version, it may be even lower.

I started making a list of different iron specs that I either played or was interested in a couple of years ago. Length, loft, lie, and offset. It's been really helpful in comparing irons because the standard specs for lie angle in particular varies quite a bit depending on the brand. For example, Ping irons tend to be more upright while mizuno's are flatter.  Lie angle and offset are really important for me so I keep track of that when looking at irons. If you want forgiving irons with not too much offset, there aren't as many options. T300, Hot Metal Pro, PXG 0211 are relatively low offset for game improvement clubs. Technically Srixon ZX5s, P790s, and Apex 21 are classified as game improvement but they are no where near as forgiving as T300, G425, Hot metal etc. 

I hit the T200 and T300 today and ended up ordering T300s. Much more forgiving than the T200 for me at least. I'm a 4 hc but have moderate swing speed (high 70s with 7 iron). The extra height and spin are helpful. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 12:15 AM, Bt31 said:

I think the previous T300 had similar offset as did the AP1s in the past. As to the weighting, the previous T300 had a very low CG according to the measurements Maltby does on his site for the playability factor he assigns iron heads. With the additional tungsten in the new version, it may be even lower.

I started making a list of different iron specs that I either played or was interested in a couple of years ago. Length, loft, lie, and offset. It's been really helpful in comparing irons because the standard specs for lie angle in particular varies quite a bit depending on the brand. For example, Ping irons tend to be more upright while mizuno's are flatter.  Lie angle and offset are really important for me so I keep track of that when looking at irons. If you want forgiving irons with not too much offset, there aren't as many options. T300, Hot Metal Pro, PXG 0211 are relatively low offset for game improvement clubs. Technically Srixon ZX5s, P790s, and Apex 21 are classified as game improvement but they are no where near as forgiving as T300, G425, Hot metal etc. 

I hit the T200 and T300 today and ended up ordering T300s. Much more forgiving than the T200 for me at least. I'm a 4 hc but have moderate swing speed (high 70s with 7 iron). The extra height and spin are helpful. 

Nice!  Did they give you an estimate on delivery time?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just replaced my PXG 0211's with new generation T200's.  Prefer the smaller head and thinner top line to the T300's and HATE  the look of the back of the T 300's (looks like the bins at a hardware store).   Much higher ball flight with either set of Titleist than PXG and distance equivalent.  Hard to know how the panel can pick the 5 "best" since club performance, forgiveness, feel and dispersion is so dependent on the shaft,  making a comparison clubhead to clubhead problematic,  statistically unreliable,  and hence flawed..

Edited by blopar

On 7/13/2021 at 1:39 PM, jjfcpa said:

Another thing that comes to mind with the T300 is the turf interaction.  I think it is much better than some of the other clubs that I have tried.  This is probably attributable to the sole width.  Doesn't seem to be as pronounced as the Apex 21 and the JPX 921 HMP.  Although Mizuno did a nice job of disguising the sole width by using a blend of polished chrome and matte chrome on the sole of their HMP.

In my opinion, the Titleist does not drag through grass/rough like the Apex's and 921's.

Apex soles needed better shaping in the back imo to make it more playable with all that bounce. 

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Thinking about switching up to the T300's from Ping i410s

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

A guy I play with just got a set, and his iron game is a lot better. He had a fairly old set of Pings, and he has gained a lot of distance. He is having to figure out the distance of his new irons. The one downside is that he ordered his irons the first week of December, and just got them about two weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to Streamsong last week, and United forgot to deliver my clubs for my first two rounds (I play Epon AF 505s) so I played with the T300s with the Red AMT stiff shafts, which were much lighter than my Oban shafts.  Damn United, I think they are costing me money, I hit those clubs better than my current irons of 3 years.  They were easy to hit high and long....

1 hour ago, DandyDon said:

So I went to Streamsong last week, and United forgot to deliver my clubs for my first two rounds (I play Epon AF 505s) so I played with the T300s with the Red AMT stiff shafts, which were much lighter than my Oban shafts.  Damn United, I think they are costing me money, I hit those clubs better than my current irons of 3 years.  They were easy to hit high and long....

I love Epon so that says something...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

I played AP2's for a year or so and really loved the way they looked, loved using them around the greens for chipping and such but they were costing me strokes on my approach shots. Should have figured as much since they aren't really designed with double-digit handicappers like me in mind.

After some time away from Titleist I'm playing T300's now and they remind me a lot of all the ways I liked the AP2's but I hit approach shots with them just as well as SGI sets like Ping G-series or Callaway Mavrik/Rogue/whatever. Definitely best of both worlds. I'm happy to have them.

I'm guessing there really is something to all that Tungsten weighting Titleist bangs on about in their marketing. Because they don't have as much offset or the big, huge backsides of some SGI irons yet they seem really low-CG/high-MOI in the way they play.

Well I Pre-ordered a set with regular graphite shafts when they first came out. And this year I thought I'll get a set of T200's and play those and sell the T300's. Well I'm back to the T300's after one round with the T200's and just picked up a Vokey SM9 54°-10 & 60°-4 both with same graphite shafts as my T300's. The problem that I have is that I'm 68 yrs young and I'm thinking I have the game that I use to have. Im also looking at getting jumbo grips for my T300's to ease the joint pain. I just sold my T300 53° wedge to a much younger guy (early 30's) that swears by them.