2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Strange feeling at Dick's Sporting Goods

Today I got the strangest feeling. I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and checking out what they had for clubs. Every time I held a club and tried to waggle it I got this feeling that these clubs felt unnatural to me, for lack of a better way to describe the feeling. The driver heads felt stupid large, the irons felt stiff, the wedges felt like they would never work, and the putters had grips that were way too big. Now I'm sure these clubs would probably work fine on the course, but I'm still looking forward to playing my vintage clubs.

Anyone else feel like this?

• Like 3

On 7/6/2021 at 7:49 PM, Robert L. said:

Today I got the strangest feeling. I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and checking out what they had for clubs. Every time I held a club and tried to waggle it I got this feeling that these clubs felt unnatural to me, for lack of a better way to describe the feeling. The driver heads felt stupid large, the irons felt stiff, the wedges felt like they would never work, and the putters had grips that were way too big. Now I'm sure these clubs would probably work fine on the course, but I'm still looking forward to playing my vintage clubs.

Somewhat but I regularly play a mix of somewhat newer and vintage stuff. But really to play pure vintage is to take out my 4 metal woods ( now) and subsitute my persimmons. Well on the putter it could be sketchy as far as purists are concerned. It is a rusty 1997 Scotty but no problem I can subsitute one of my numerous Ironmasters

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Haven't been into a DSG in years.  Not my first inclination when shopping for anything sporting goods related.  Certainly not golf clubs or associated stuff.  Trying out implements in a hitting bay does nothing for me.  Furthermore, there's a Top 100 LGS across the street from the closet Dick's that I go to when I want to swat (test) some new stuff.  Just for S & G.  Something I find mildly entertaining.    Outdoors, on their range, albeit off mats.  Need to see the ball fly in open space.  With my pedestrian golfing abilities, really don't discover any clubs that I find THAT much better than what utilize currently.  Sort of confirms that I'm OK with the mixed WITB for the time being.  And if one factors in costs, no way in he(ll) would I be interested.  The worst equipment experience would be forking over significant funds for new, only to discover after a few rounds, they don't play any better than the ones in service prior.  Often acquired on the relieve cheap.  Then experimented and tweaked to suitability by me.  Don't need no LM to tell me what I should be using.  

Not much of a vintage implement golfer these days.  For some reason, I reserve my wood and blade outings almost exclusively to the fall.  Find it an enjoyable time of the year to play some vintage clubs.  I'm under no false illusions though, I do not play them as well as my more contemporary clubs.  A nutted ball off a persimmon driver is a wonderful experience.  But the 1 in 10 times it happens is no way comparable, in distance or repeatablity to drives with my modernist tin can on a stick D (400 Max).  At certain times I enjoy chasing the experience.  Out of sight of the usual suspects that I play golf with.  No pressure.  A solitary experience by choice.  

That's not to say I play a full assortment of modernist clubs.  Defining classic and vintage is very subjective.  By my assessment, playing 25 year old irons is pretty darn classic.  The main putter is newish, but could grab one that is 50+ years old (029 Anser).  I wasn't a golfer during the days of persimmon and blade.  Although certainly old enough of age.  Thus, have no fond remembrances of vintage implements from the days of yore.  So the entirety of this classic/vintage thing was a discovery for the first time beginning about 8 years ago.  Found it intriguing in a contrarian sort of way.  And that the discovery could be pursued on the cheap.  There's always something else on the horizon yet to be uncovered.

• Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I only go to Dick's for tees and balls when I need them in a pinch.

I do look at the new stuff just as I do when I'm paired up with golfers on courses.  It all looks so strange to me.  I like it that way and I want to keep it that way.  

I golfed a little in Junior High mid 1990s so I'm sure I swung a metal driver.  But I didn't really start golfing until last year with ping eye 2s and then quickly 50s and 60s blades/persimmons.  I made a promise with myself to play only vintage this year.  Sure there have been a few times I get paired up with shock and awe swingers but I really have no desire to touch that stuff.  I putt like Arnold Palmer, my Jones bag has 1 strap and my putter is 35 inches long which seems SUPER long compared to the stuff I see.

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

the nearby DSG gets a look now and then.

Shoes, socks, cleats, the odd grip.

their heavyweight long sleeve compression shirts are nice in the fall/winter months.

PGASS  and GG are about thirty minutes away and only blocks apart. 

a guy could do some wallet surgery there.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I've got a lot of golf shops near me. Luckily there are some specialty JDM type places, there are a couple big box places and a few good used shops. Love the used shops for finding $50-100 sets of classic irons. Modern players CBs and even MBs rarely get me excited. Mizuno, Titleist, Srixon, TM and Callyway all make a few sets that are really nice, don't get me wrong. I find it hard to believe that any released right now are going to exceed the performance of my current Tourstage MR-23 CB. Why the hell would I change them out? The 40 odd other sets in my house might have something to say... 

If you look at the offerings from the big OEMs you would have a hard time differentiating them. I think I could do it, but it feels like everything in them has been run through an algorithm. They are going to satisfy the demands of 99.3 percent of golfers, in other words you are getting a large helping of vanilla ice cream. 

Older clubs operate outside algorithmic parameters. They are pleasing in their imperfection. And they flat out perform. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I stop in the Dick's store near me once in a while to see what is on the shelves, but I rarely end up buying anything. The golf section has a little work area for gripping clubs and has a loft and lie machine that has been "broken" for several years per sales clerks...no body seems to know how to use machine or they are just afraid to mangle customers' clubs adjusting them. It is a shame that the Dick's doesn't seem to care.

I won't go in Dicks Sporting Goods, for reasons I won't go into here.  I know of others that won't either, for the same reasons.  They are losing at least $$$ a year from me and a few friends, as well.  It adds up.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

On 7/8/2021 at 8:30 PM, Christen_The_Sloop said:

I've got a lot of golf shops near me. Luckily there are some specialty JDM type places, there are a couple big box places and a few good used shops. Love the used shops for finding $50-100 sets of classic irons. Modern players CBs and even MBs rarely get me excited. Mizuno, Titleist, Srixon, TM and Callyway all make a few sets that are really nice, don't get me wrong. I find it hard to believe that any released right now are going to exceed the performance of my current Tourstage MR-23 CB. Why the hell would I change them out? The 40 odd other sets in my house might have something to say... 

If you look at the offerings from the big OEMs you would have a hard time differentiating them. I think I could do it, but it feels like everything in them has been run through an algorithm. They are going to satisfy the demands of 99.3 percent of golfers, in other words you are getting a large helping of vanilla ice cream. 

Older clubs operate outside algorithmic parameters. They are pleasing in their imperfection. And they flat out perform. 

That was my favorite hobby in Japan. Such great finds at places like Hard Off. They had a rack of new (old) clubs every few days, even 30 year old irons that had never been hit. It was fun!

• Like 2

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

2014 was the last time that I actually went into a big box golf store and hit anything into their bays.  Was trying a bunch of the current crop of drivers out versus  the then 4 year old model I was using.  Didn't see anything in the results to warrant spending the $500+ to upgrade change.  

I have acquired some other clubs of that vintage and newer via the resale route, but they're currently out of the rotation.  It seems that the rumour of my demise was greatly exaggerated.  I can still effectively wield stiffer and heavier clubs than what the talking heads suggest I should be using.

As far as vintage goes, I too am a late comer to the game so the blades and persimmon era came well before the time that I ever set foot on a golf course -- if you don't count afternoon tea at Royal Turnberry in 1969.  Started getting into the vintage kit around 2015 and had great fun acquiring far too many clubs at very cheap prices.  I haven't played a vintage round since 2017 following a severe back injury, but definitely have a hankering for such.  As my friend @Fellaheen51 above regales, fall is the best time of year for those outings.  In fact, I have a Pittsburgh Persimmon just waiting for a test drive to flush out my modernist 80's bag that sits patiently in the corner of the basement.

• Like 3

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

DSG for golf is just a really scaled back version of Golf Galaxy. (Same owners)

Its all in your " comfort zone" for golf. If you don't like, can't afford or just refuse to prefer the modern game, that's fine.

I'll take my PowerBilt persimmon drivers out to the range once a year and let the kids check em out, hit a few balls, etc. They're horrified at the results. Not crazy about a 5 wood sized wooden head and a stiff steel shafted club.

I can still hit em about 200-220 quail high, alas think I'll keep the Ping G400 in the bag. Like to be a lot closer to the green these days.

On 7/6/2021 at 4:49 PM, Robert L. said:

Comparing new versus vintage golf equipment I believe modern graphite shafts combined with metal wood club heads are significantly easier with which to hit consistently straight longer yardage shots than the former steel shafts w/wood head clubs. For most players, a modern 3-wood head with 43" graphite shaft is likely the ideal club for tee box shots. Golf balls are the other piece of golf equipment where I believe modern is significantly better than vintage.

For irons and putters I believe vintage may be as good or better for most players than the current clubs. Specifically, in the past 20 years I believe 

most new iron designs have too large a head, making them relatively difficult to swing-square-at-impact. And putter head weights have become too heavy, which I think diminishes a player's sense of touch-feel.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter