2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do you really need a 3 wood?

nvr3putt

11 hours ago, mackepa said:

I know a lot of players that absolutely hit a 5 wood farther and more consistent due to better launch conditions. Heck, some players will hit a 7 wood better. 

I totally agree. With shorter shafts and higher lofts, 5-woods are MUCH easier to hit off the deck for a lot of golfers. And with the ability to adjust the loft, they can played like an old 4-wood.

A 3-wood used to be a 'safe' club off the driver. But I'd argue 460cc drivers have closed the forgiveness gap between 3 woods off the tee.  Most of the time when I need a 'layup' club, my 5-wood is plenty. I may be 15 yards shorter than a 3 wood, but is that extra distance worth $300+?  (The increase in price of FW woods has made me more reluctant to toss it in the bag if it doesn't fill a need.)

And very few of the golfers I've played with are consistent with a 3 wood off the deck. For the occasional bombed second shot on a par 5 that sails high and lands soft, it seems more are hit thin, offline, topped etc.

My pet peeve is that most FW reviews are on 3-woods.  I think more golfers would benefit from 5-wood reviews instead.

Edited by mantan
  • Like 4

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

3W rarely gets any play, to the point where I replace it with a 16.5* Mizuno Fli-Hi 2-iron during the winter when fairways get dry here in FL.

I only use the 3W off the tee.  5W or hybrid are used for going after par-5s in 2.  And if I'm not hitting driver off the tee, its probably b/c I want to stay under 250, so the 3W may run into trouble where the 5W or hybrid will stay short of it.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

I am in the no 3-wood camp but it's a product of the two courses I play. One is just north of 6500 from the tips and is very tight. So 5 iron or 3h generally leaves me more room for error than a 3 wood.

The other is 7100 and if you can't hit a driver, you're either on the green or on a par 3. 

In general, I do question how much more accuracy the average low-mid handicapper gains with a 3 wood vs. a driver.  Whether results line up with expectations, if that margin of error is consistently capitalized on, etc. But that's a discussion for another day.

Replaced mine with a 5 wood, 18 degree, turned down to 16 degrees. So I guess it’s a 4 wood now. 

Great off the tee on short par 4s. I may need to hit it 2 or 3 times off the deck during a round. 

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

To me it's not a question of whether you need one or not. It is a question of can you hit one well with any kind of consistency. If someone shanks/tops/duffs and hits more 3 woods out of play than they hit solid shots with it, then they do not "need" a 3 wood.

Now I know there are some weekend hackers that this could be said about every club in their bag, those are not the people I am referencing. 

• Thanks 1

This part of the bag is getting my attention. I tried D, 7W, DI and that didn't work at all.

Tossed the DI and depending on whether I get along with mini driver and can hit it off the deck, and whether I can find a 3W that I can elevate or a hot 5W, I can see myself ending up with any two out of MD/3W, 5W and 7W.

It's my least needed club. 

I never use it off the tee. I'd much rather chip a driver on a narrow fairway. But, I actually practice this shot so I'm comfortable with it.

This leaves my 3w as pretty much exclusively used for 2nd shots on par 5s. So three times a round on average, 4, tops.

I've been going back and forth between a 3w and a 5w, with the latter having a bit more versatility from different lies and turf conditions. The 3w pretty much demands a perfect lie for me to even consider it, but I do have enough swing speed for it to be a bit longer than the 5w.

I cringe when I see my mid-handicap buddies pull 3w for tee shots. They spray the 3w just as badly as the driver, sometimes worse because they clip the edge of the smaller clubface. With an offline driver, in comparison, they're at least farther down the fairway.

• Like 1

At my swing speed I needed the loft of a 3W and the big head of a driver, so I bought a used 12 degree Epic Flash that goes up 14 degrees!  No need for a 15 degree 3W!

6H or 7W for the 2nd shot when I need distance with my 2nd shot.

My Flash driver is cut down to 42.5 inches and my old 13 degree driver is at 41.75 inches so they are both easy to use. 

I can now blow grips on and off with my air compressor and shorten clubs easily with a chop saw.

A short driver now makes more sense in my bag than a 3W, though it didn't when I bought the used 3W.

But having a 3W was useful for getting launch monitor data that shows I don't need it in my bag.

Edited by ShortGolfer

3 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

One of the better questions on the board as of late. Really 3 questions - Do you, why do you, and should you.

I dropped the 3 wood two years ago and went Driver-5 wood. This year I have a 4 wood with the height and spin of a 5 wood. The reason is that I know where they’re going to stop.

IMO the main reason people carry a 3 wood is that they can’t or won’t trust their driver. The 3 wood and driver share a unique characteristic, which is that you normally hit them in situations with the expectation of infinite distance. You don’t expect it, or want it to stop. To me, that makes a 3 wood redundant, and a dedicated sand wedge a better asset.

Interesting perspective. For me, the difference between the driver and the 3w is that the former I hit wanting it to go as far as possible, whereas the latter I know it will only go so far.

In fact, I carry a 4w, not a 3w but I am debating swapping the 4w out for a 3w as I have been only using the 4w of the tee of late. I know the 4w will go 250y max, usually a bit less, and occasionally a little more, but it will NOT vary as much as my driver distance. Whether I end up bagging a 3w or 4w, I want it to stop at a certain distance, give or take 10 yards.

• Like 1

Played the KS am qualifier today. 6,800+ yards with 73.3 rating. Not super difficult, but hit 3w off every tee except the 580y par 5...which I did not hit well.

Basically, I use it on the tee for any par 4 that's 380-460y. Off the deck is almost as good. It's arguably the most valuable club in my bag next to the putter.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

I was playing a 3HL for the last year, but switched back to my 5 wood lofted down to the same loft (16.5). I use it on tight/short holes or where there’s a ditch at my driving distance, plus off the fairway on longer holes, so probably use it 6 times a round on average. Enough for it to stick around.

Titleist TSR2 10 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Hzrdus smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Titleist Pro V1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I don't use one. I can step on the 2i and have it fill the gap if needed, but generally am going to lay up if something is 250-275 in the first place. 2i utility goes 260-275 off the tee which is perfect for shorter or tighter holes. I can't find a reason to put a 3w in the bag but for some reason I like the idea of buying one to match the driver anyways, that however is a different (mental) problem

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

No 3 wood. Use a 17.5 degree hybrid turned down a degree instead between driver - 20 degree hybrid and then 4 iron down. Put a Hzrdus Black 85 6.5 into a Titleist 915hd to lower the flight further from the Irod F5 105 that was in there before. 

Longer hybrid carries 230-240 all day running out to 260-270 in dry conditions and is mega reliable vs a 3 wood for me. It gets hit 6 times at least off the tee including 2/3 par 5s. Driver is too long and brings bunkers or dogleg runout into play.

It also gets used for 2nd shot into the 2 par 5s a lot and I’m generally on in 2.  

I probably could use a 4 wood instead 

if I’m not hitting driver well…. I am most likely not going to hit 3 wood well either 

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Upper 90s swing speed with driver. Typical number with a 3 wood based on GC2 numbers in testing and on course performance is 215-225 carry 230-240 total.

At home course:

Tee shot on #1 (par 4)

Tee shot on #9 (par 4)

2nd shot on #12 (par 5)

Potential 2nd shot on #3 (par 5)

Potential 2nd or tee shot on #4 (par 5)

Potential tee shot on #5 (long par 3 if into strong wind, or during the winter from the back tee)

Potential tee shot on #6, 7, and 8 (par 4s)

Potential tee shot on #11 and 14) par 4s

Potential tee shot on #15 if playing the back tee (par 4)

Potential tee shot on #17 (par 4)

Potential 2nd shot on #18 (par 5)

I hit my 3 wood at least 3 times a round at my home course. If I had an odd day where I felt off with the driver id potentially hit it a ton.

The only players who don't need 3 woods are players who hit the ball a long way and are accurate with driver and can club to something else if they have to lay back off a tee and would never need a 3 wood into a par 4

or shorter players who can't get optimal launch conditions from a 3 wood and do better with a 4 or 5 wood. 

Or a player in general who just can't hit any fairway wood to save their life for whatever reason

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R*

Epic Speed 16.5 4w 21 7w IM10 60 5.5*

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5*

Stealth DHY 17 20 23 AV Raw Blue 70R*

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R*

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon  Star XV

7 hours ago, nvr3putt said:

Serious question. How often do you use your 3 wood during a round? 

3-wood is a tee box club. Depending on the course layout I swing a 3-wood from 1 to up to 10 tee boxes per round.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I haven’t carried fairway woods for years. 

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

I would rather pull out driver even if it's a tight hole so long as it doesn't really penalize me.  I can hit my 3 metal off the planet just as much as my driver.  Rarely do I ever need to pull 3 metal out for par 5's.  Then again, I don't always play from the tips.  I probably use my 3 metal three times  on average per round. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Have not carried a three wood in at least 5 years. Off the tee it wasn't significantly more accurate than my driver, and off the deck having a three wood just encouraged me to try shots that I shouldn't.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

To be honest, I don't know what I'm gaining by having a 3 wood in the bag. 

It's just a shorter, equally inaccurate, less forgiving version of my driver. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Considering that 85% of my birdies come from  par 5s.  Yes.   Same for hybrid.  

also hit it 2-5 times a round from the tee depending on the course.   

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I took it out except when playing a nearby course that has a short 275 yd par 4.  Being relatively long on short courses I didn't need 3W.  I found myself hitting it because I felt like it should get some love, but I really played it as a 2nd driver that's drawable.... So I just put in a 2nd driver that's drawable!  No fairway use unless long par 5s (maybe one on the courses I play), and I'm better with 5W off the turf.  Wasn't really any more accurate off the tee than driver either for me.  Sometimes, sometimes not.

Posted this somewhere else, but as a tee club only, I prefer the 460cc head at 44-44.5" vs 180cc head at 43-43.5".  YMMV

• Like 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf