2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do you really need a 3 wood?

nvr3putt

I have a 15° 3 wood in the bag, and I use it mainly off of the tee for one hole in particular. I may dump it in favor of a 64° wedge, or not if I want to use 15 clubs. It's a conundrum because I really like it, but it's also probably the easiest club to leave out.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Dumped my 3W in 2010.

I've carried 4W + 7W since then.

4W gets used 3-4 times a round on par 5 approaches,  and maybe a couple of times off the tee depending on tee boxes and wind conditions.

7W may grab a couple of these, just depending...also 7W for approach on a couple of long par 4s.

Away from home course, these woods get used on long par 3 holes.

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I hit the ball very high (too high, honestly), so game a 13' rbz stage 2 tour 3w. It has been almost exclusively a par 5 2nd shot club for me, though trying to use it off the tee more this year.

Just checked my last three tournament rounds: 2 times, 1 time, 0 times. I use it a bit more in practice rounds, but rarely more than three times a round.

I have a combo set of srixon zx5/zx7 irons coming in. Once I get my distances down there, I do plan to re-assess my fw/hybrid setup, which is currently the 13' 3w and a 18' 3h.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone 9' w/ Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5

3Wood: Cobra King Radspeed Big Tour 14.5' w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 6.5

Hybrid: Cobra King Radspeed 2 Hybrid 17' w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (4 & 5 iron), Srixon ZX7 (6 thru AW) w/ Project X T 6.5

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 54/10S and 58/8M w/ Project X T 6.5

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Teryllium II Santa Fe

3 hours ago, nvr3putt said:

This is a brilliant idea!! One question, how much "off" would the swing weight be if you connected your 3W shaft with Driver head?

If I had to guess, it'll be nearly 6 points lighter, give or take. Slap some lead on, or don't. There's no requirement that says you can't swing a C8 driver. In fact, you'll probably add 1-2mph.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

11 hours ago, Tdonatello36 said:

I'm starting to think that mini drivers like the new TM one might remove the need to carry a 3 wood.  Set make up could legit be driver, mini driver (what Mickelson refers to as a "2-wood") for tight par 4's, 4 wood for fairway into par 5's, etc., 7 wood (if you're an old fart like me), 5-P, G, S, L, and putter.

I have been struggling with this part of my bag for some time. Recently, I went with 2 drivers. My "mini" driver is a Ping 410 LST at 44" with an extra weight - I have them now on both sides. It goes a bit longer than my typical 3-wood, but is more accurate. If I am on and the fairways are hard, I probably get 280 with it. When the fairways are soft, I might get 250, but it is likely to be in the short stuff. My "long" driver is a Maverik SZ @47.5" with the heavy weight removed - I wish I could remember where I put that weight! I have hit some stunners with the long driver, as well as some absolute crappers.  There are four long carry "cut-the-corner" shots that make this driver useful over a standard length driver as well as the "mini". Also, this works, because my course is open enough to not punish me too much if way right or left. 

The 3 wood really was just off the tee, and maybe once a month off the deck into a par 5, and probably never onto the actual green. I have purchased a 4 wood, but have hit it maybe a few times off a tee and maybe also once into a par 5 (that one actually worked), but not convinced that is what I need, either... I have tried the 7, as well, but found the sim max to be a left machine (not really a hook, but a start and continue going left). If I can find one of those, I think I will be more convinced of the 4...

I replaced a 15 degree 3wd with a 17.5 degree 5wd this season and it gets much better utilization.  The 5wd is more consistent off the deck, versatile with a variety of lies and has more stopping power when you're looking to approach the green.  

The benefit of the 3wd were a few extra yards off the tee and it was better into the wind or if a lower trajectory was required.  I can't speak for the next person but the carry distance difference between my driver and 3wd is 10 yards and the accuracy is a wash.  I prefer playing without the 3wd to make decisions easier on the course.

• Like 2

This topic rose to the top when I sang it to the "do you wanna build a snowman" tune from Frozen.  Your welcome! 🙂 

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

Using a Adam’s Tight lie 3 which has 16 degrees. A week 3 wood but yes it’s used on almost every par 5.  Love it.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I don’t play a 3 wood. I have a draw / pull biased mini driver and a fade biased regular driver. Use whichever one suits my eye from the tee box. Usually about 50/50 throughout the course of a round. 

I’m erratic off the tee and off the deck with a regular 3 wood. I used to find myself dreading using it in any scenario. Very happy with my current set up. 

Into par 5s, I hit my 5 wood about 225 carry, 235 total on a good strike. Any longer and I should be laying up anyway. 

I have a mini-driver instead, and often use it on par 5s off the fairway.  Can't say it's because I found it 'better' than the 3-wood, since I haven't had a 3 for many years.  Frankly, if I had to pair my set down to minimal clubs, I'd probably go with the mini, 4i, 6i, 7i (I use it to chip a lot), pw, and putter.

18 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

I like how you are agreeing, but then dont have a 3 wood. 

Lol, that's a good point. I guess I'm just thinking long fairway wood, your de facto 3 wood. I've had a 15 degree 3-wood and I hit just as far as my 17.5 5 wood (with a 3 wood shaft, so kinda like a 4 wood). 

10 minutes ago, arsedawg13 said:

Lol, that's a good point. I guess I'm just thinking long fairway wood, your de facto 3 wood. I've had a 15 degree 3-wood and I hit just as far as my 17.5 5 wood (with a 3 wood shaft, so kinda like a 4 wood). 

Hey, I'm with you. My longest wood is at 17.5*.  But your quote sounds like an argument against the 3 wood. No reason to bag it. Its harder to hit off the deck and goes no further than your 4 or 5 wood. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

1 minute ago, scooterhd2 said:

Hey, I'm with you. My longest wood is at 17.5*.  But your quote sounds like an argument against the 3 wood. No reason to bag it. Its harder to hit off the deck and goes no further than your 4 or 5 wood. 

I guess you're right. But if that player is better than me and can hit their 3W like I do with 4/5W, then they should play it. 

So my official answer is: you need a long fairway metal that starts with a 3/4/5 that you hit well. 

Never thought so till I put the SIM in my bag. Sets up square to my eye, and I like lighter larger head versus the SIM 2. I hit it much straighter than my driver and carry it 260 and rolls out to 280. I hit it 4-5 times a round, and it should probably be more. I play it at 42.5” and have it turned down to 14.25 to open the face. Liked the SIM so much I bought the 5 wood, and now I’m thinking about buying 300 mini driver. 

I play a 13.5* 3+, 18* 5w, and a 23* 9w.  

As I've straightened out my driver and added a bit of distance, it became possible for me to reach the green on 500yd par 5s, and that is where the 3+ comes into play.  Also occasionally as a tee shot on dogleg Par 4s, where the "knee" of the dogleg sits in that ~220-230yd range.  

If anything, I find myself breaking down some Par 4 holes into a shorter tee shot with the 5w, just so it leaves me a nice 9w yardage into the green.  220yd off the tee, 180yd approach.  It's less exciting than smashing driver and hitting a 9-iron in, but I'm finding it more consistent, as backed up by my Arccos data.    

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+ (Bassara W45)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno T-zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g Ladies)

Bridgestone J33 Forged 4-PW  (Reax 55 A-Flex)

Cleveland CBX Full Face 64*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

For me it's a specific yardage club.  260+ to the green on a par 5 or if I need a few yards to get an ideal number for approach off the tee when driver would be to much and 5W not enough.  My 5W is now one of my favorites period and I use it off the tee for par 4s 400 or so and less and approaches into par 5s with a high bomb that carries about 250.

20 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Here's a very unpopular opinion...

If you're hitting 3-wood off the tee a lot, either your driver doesn't fit, or the shaft is too long, or you suck with driver.

Want an experiment? Most of you with 3-woods have some interchangeable shafts. Stick that 3-wood shaft on your driver and go pound fairways a couple of rounds, and then tell us how badly you miss it.

If you use it off the deck, by all means, do your thing. If you're 90% off the tee, maybe it's your 46" driver that's the problem. Didn't Jack go with 42.75"?

Solve the correct problem.

Couldn't be further from the truth for me. I already play a short driver. Length of the shaft has nothing to do with it. It's the size of the head. I'm far much more comfortable with a tiny head.

TS3: 460cc
M2 Tour 3-Wood: 156cc

I feel much more confident and comfortable with my 3-wood in hand because of the size of the head I'm staring down at. I swing faster with it. I hit the center a lot more often. 

I dropped the 3 wood for a 5 wood and haven’t looked back! 

• Like 1

10° Titleist TSI2 x Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

17.5° PING G410 x Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

22° PXG 0317X Gen 2 Hybrid x Mitsubishi MMT 80S

Srixon z545 3 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z585 5 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z785 6-PW x Nippon Modus 120S

Wedges: Titleist SM8 50*12F, 54*12D, 58*8M

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Brandon Double Bend

IG: @matt.golfs

1 hour ago, jacobEDGE said:

Couldn't be further from the truth for me. I already play a short driver. Length of the shaft has nothing to do with it. It's the size of the head. I'm far much more comfortable with a tiny head.

TS3: 460cc
M2 Tour 3-Wood: 156cc

I feel much more confident and comfortable with my 3-wood in hand because of the size of the head I'm staring down at. I swing faster with it. I hit the center a lot more often. 

Don't take this personally, but this means #3 applies.

• Haha 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

IMO if you can hit a 3-wood off the deck reliably, then you should probably carry one.  I don't.  If you hit driver 275+, then carrying a 3-wood to lay back from hazards is probably worthwhile.  I don't.  If you carry a 3-wood because you lack confidence in your driver, then you need to re-evaluate your driver.

• Like 2

The unicorn 3 wood - so many search for it, few find it.

My Cobra F8/XCaliber shaft combo is my unicorn, such a blazing combo for me, I lurve hitting it, more than any other club. I have an Aldila Tour Blue ATX85S shaft which I occasionally use with it as well and almost as good.

Something about the head size/shape/feel that just does it for me. Not a large head. All black, not the Nardo.

Can dial up and down the loft to play as a strong 3 wood up to a 4 wood. I can hit it high, low, fade or draw, makes me delude myself that I am better than I really am.

Edited by Rapidcat

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I dropped the 13.5 as it's only purpose was tee shots or low run ups from the fairways. I have two setups now both with 16.5 as lowest fairway.

1 - '16 M2 3HL with TP Motore 7.3 X, SIM 19 hybrid stock Ventus blue 7-S

2 - Epic Speed 4W with Hazardous Smoke 70g 6.0 iM10, Honma TW 21c Vizard Type-Z 50R

Either set up is better fit for me these days.

Edited by tannyhoban
Form/from, whatever

17 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Don't take this personally, but this means #3 applies.

I mean, I average 280 off the tee, with a random perfect strike that gets me about 310-320 once per round.

But my 3 wood also goes about 275 off the tee, every once in a while reaching 300 yards. With much tighter dispersion. 

10 minutes ago, jacobEDGE said:

I mean, I average 280 off the tee, with a random perfect strike that gets me about 310-320 once per round.

But my 3 wood also goes about 275 off the tee, every once in a while reaching 300 yards. With much tighter dispersion. 

If you’re that long and straight with your 3 wood, you are an anomoly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, naws-golfer said:

If you’re that long and straight with your 3 wood, you are an anomoly.

am in Colorado elevation. But it's not uncommon to hit a 300 yard drive with my 3-wood. A very consistent slight draw. Whereas my driver is a decent fade that can turn into a slice if it gets away from me. 

My 5 wood also is a slight draw, that I average 255-260 off the tee with.